shape
carat
color
clarity

Masculine gemstones

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
A simple question, hope for innovative answers! What gem species, varieties of what particular colours do you think is more masculine?

It could just be “all grey stones”, “gems of metallic colours”, or as particular as “an indigo blue sapphire in asscher cut at least 8mm face up” or anything!

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the question sort of invites cliché and stereotypes. Each to his own, wear what you like, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise…

But I’ll bite, speaking purely for myself. I wear only rings – they are for me to admire, not for others. I try to be as conventional as I can, given that wearing rings at all (other than a wedding ring) is in itself pretty unconventional in my circle.

Cabs are good for purely practical reasons – they are robust and can be set low. Star stones and cat’s eyes are especially good – they fascinate the male mind. But faceted stones are fine too, if set low.

Shapes (masculine to feminine): asscher, emerald, cushion, round, oval, marquise, heart. I’d draw the line at oval.

Size: I think the optimum is about 6mm – 10mm (flexible at both ends). Smaller suggests ‘petite’ – too feminine. Bigger verges on the Liberace-ish.

Colour: strong saturated colours or neutral greys. The only strong colours I’d avoid would be light blue-green (no paraibas for me) or hot pink. I think of pastels as feminine. I’m fascinated by blue moonstone, but I wouldn’t wear it.

Settings: signet style (taken loosely), bezel or half bezel, belcher. Clean simple lines, no fussy detail.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any color except pink, because that is a traditionally female color. I do however. think men like all the colors of the rainbow, and it depends on the guy and what his favorite color is. I think men’s rings are more about the setting style instead of the stone color.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to see men wearing bracelets and rings.
A great man's ring with a pop of color is refreshing in a sea of boring wedding bands!
Jade, garnet, sapphire, citrine, green tourmaline, emerald ......it's all good.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the question sort of invites cliché and stereotypes. Each to his own, wear what you like, and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise…

But I’ll bite, speaking purely for myself. I wear only rings – they are for me to admire, not for others. I try to be as conventional as I can, given that wearing rings at all (other than a wedding ring) is in itself pretty unconventional in my circle.

Cabs are good for purely practical reasons – they are robust and can be set low. Star stones and cat’s eyes are especially good – they fascinate the male mind. But faceted stones are fine too, if set low.

Shapes (masculine to feminine): asscher, emerald, cushion, round, oval, marquise, heart. I’d draw the line at oval.

Size: I think the optimum is about 6mm – 10mm (flexible at both ends). Smaller suggests ‘petite’ – too feminine. Bigger verges on the Liberace-ish.

Colour: strong saturated colours or neutral greys. The only strong colours I’d avoid would be light blue-green (no paraibas for me) or hot pink. I think of pastels as feminine. I’m fascinated by blue moonstone, but I wouldn’t wear it.

Settings: signet style (taken loosely), bezel or half bezel, belcher. Clean simple lines, no fussy detail.
Welcome and feel free to speak for your self~! And I may still disagree for all of that:) But no problem~

Conventionally men don’t wear jewellery much. Ring, or just wedding band for many. Adding a tiny but special stone of more masculine colour like blue, grey, alexandrite can be nice I think.

For cabs, cats eyes I however don’t prefer them in a ring, but pendant? I think it works! Free form Opal May be, but colour is key!

Faceted stone, brown champagne or even orange? If it’s a ring, Cut and design more important agreed~

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think it's typically the setting, not the stone, that makes a piece of jewelry look masculine or feminine. but thinking about the stones specifically, i'd take a look at angular, step, or fantasy cuts in vivid or deep colors.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Any color except pink, because that is a traditionally female color. I do however. think men like all the colors of the rainbow, and it depends on the guy and what his favorite color is. I think men’s rings are more about the setting style instead of the stone color.

Agreed big NO for pink!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thanx @chrono for the tag.

At one point in time, I used to think there are men/ female styles. And, for the most part, I think that is what and how society has groomed my thinking.

However, I am understanding more about what my likes and dislikes are. Which brings about my eclectic mix of jewelry pieces, which have a vintage feel to them.

I have spent a bit of time trying pieces in jewelry stores to get a real feel about what I like and don’t like.

For me, it is about what i connect with that piece. Sometimes a big ring works, and soemtimes a small one works. Sometimes one colour matches my mood more than others. Maybe more bling is what I want or maybe a little understated. So there isn’t a set size or colour that I have.

I have a lot of jewelry (thanx PS!!) each has a diffenrt flavour- and all posted on here somewhere. Perhaps SMTB men’s folder.

I have ring sets (much like a solitaire and engagement ring) that I wear on both hands. I also wear earrings, bracelets, lapel pins, tie pins. Yes- I wear a lot… and, I like to think that I put it together well. Lololol.

Gemstones I have range from onyx, jade (cabochon- the biggest gem stone in my collection) , garnet, emeralds, opals pearls ( Tahitian and south sea) diamonds- colourless to lower colours to fancy colours (pink, blue, violet, green and yellow) these are the smallest gem stones in my collection.

I like strong geometric lines/ shapes- so it is no surprise that most of my gem stones are step cuts: cut corner square emerald/ Asscher cuts- being my favourite. I also like older cut diamonds/stones- cos they have broader flashes than that of modern cuts- fast and splintery flashes.

The setting metals that I have for my pieces:
Sterling silver with my onyx pieces- giving that aged/ rustic look.
18k WG. Platinum.
9k YG, 18kYG 22kYG.

Most of my pieces have strong lines/ flow to them. Delicate settings, whilst I have small hands, they look and feel odd to me.

So, I am going to be echoing what most have said: you like what you like and, wear them when you want. I would encourage ppl to try different styles in stores before custom making one.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
i think it's typically the setting, not the stone, that makes a piece of jewelry look masculine or feminine. but thinking about the stones specifically, i'd take a look at angular, step, or fantasy cuts in vivid or deep colors.

Agreed on your view in cuts and colours~

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I think men generally look great in bold designs like the wide ring in @gregchang35 's avatar pic. Color doesn't really matter as long as it's flattering. I think pink stones would look amazing on men with tanned or very dark complexions.

Generally, I think anything goes as long as you wear it like you mean it.

I'm a fan of Mughal jewelry though so I might be the wrong person to weigh in on this topic, seeing as how I'm charmed by old painting of men in diamond turban brooches and ropes of pearls.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to see men wearing bracelets and rings.
A great man's ring with a pop of color is refreshing in a sea of boring wedding bands!
Jade, garnet, sapphire, citrine, green tourmaline, emerald ......it's all good.

Even pearls!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
My grandfather was definitely a fan of jewelry! He wore a gold chain and chunky rings with big cabochons. I think what you can pull off has to do with personality and personal style. Meanwhile my grandma seldom wore any jewelry aside from her jade bangle.

Personally, I think styles like Brutalist and Modernist work very well for men with their architectural elements, clean lines and unisex feel.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
For cabs, cats eyes I however don’t prefer them in a ring, but pendant? I think it works! Free form Opal May be, but colour is key!

Faceted stone, brown champagne or even orange? If it’s a ring, Cut and design more important agreed~

Cat's eyes (and star stones) work best when lit and viewed close to straight on. This happens rarely for pendants, often for rings. At least it does in Queensland, Australia, where the sun is usually high. It may be different in higher latitudes.

Orange is great! I love spessartites.

M

maru8888777

I think cornflower blue sapphire works well on everyone. I don't know if you've seen Vlad Yavorskyy's rings, OP, but I'll try to find a photo. He always wears these three beautiful rings: blue sapphire, red spinel, and tsavorite. The rings are, unsurprisingly, gorgeous: very simple bezels with amazing stones.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanx @chrono for the tag.

At one point in time, I used to think there are men/ female styles. And, for the most part, I think that is what and how society has groomed my thinking.

However, I am understanding more about what my likes and dislikes are. Which brings about my eclectic mix of jewelry pieces, which have a vintage feel to them.

I have spent a bit of time trying pieces in jewelry stores to get a real feel about what I like and don’t like.

For me, it is about what i connect with that piece. Sometimes a big ring works, and soemtimes a small one works. Sometimes one colour matches my mood more than others. Maybe more bling is what I want or maybe a little understated. So there isn’t a set size or colour that I have.

I have a lot of jewelry (thanx PS!!) each has a diffenrt flavour- and all posted on here somewhere. Perhaps SMTB men’s folder.

I have ring sets (much like a solitaire and engagement ring) that I wear on both hands. I also wear earrings, bracelets, lapel pins, tie pins. Yes- I wear a lot… and, I like to think that I put it together well. Lololol.

Gemstones I have range from onyx, jade (cabochon- the biggest gem stone in my collection) , garnet, emeralds, opals pearls ( Tahitian and south sea) diamonds- colourless to lower colours to fancy colours (pink, blue, violet, green and yellow) these are the smallest gem stones in my collection.

I like strong geometric lines/ shapes- so it is no surprise that most of my gem stones are step cuts: cut corner square emerald/ Asscher cuts- being my favourite. I also like older cut diamonds/stones- cos they have broader flashes than that of modern cuts- fast and splintery flashes.

The setting metals that I have for my pieces:
Sterling silver with my onyx pieces- giving that aged/ rustic look.
18k WG. Platinum.
9k YG, 18kYG 22kYG.

Most of my pieces have strong lines/ flow to them. Delicate settings, whilst I have small hands, they look and feel odd to me.

So, I am going to be echoing what most have said: you like what you like and, wear them when you want. I would encourage ppl to try different styles in stores before custom making one.

this is my favourite post on PS today

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
first off any colour or gemstone his heart and eyes desire ...and including pink because back in history pink was a boys colour being the junior version of red

my first thought was onyx which could be perceived as a bit borring but my dad had onyx cuff links
then turquoise because i love turquoise and because Bruce Springsteen has some nice pieces
he rocks man jewlery- man bangles and rings and necklases and earings

i wish my Gary would like a man bangle

anyway i always take notice of men wearing jewlery
ive seen some lovelly pieces on here
Diamonds and otherwise
saphires because they are harder and most of the men i know dont work in an office

also im an 80s girl at heart so im thinking some of those dusky pinks and greys - i saw a lovelly spinal around these parts yesterday that was a very dusky pink

a shout out to smokey quartz because i love smokey quartz
Orange gems too
green too

edit i forgot pearls
not for rings but for a pendent

but really anything the wearer takes a fancy too
bling away to your heart's content fallas

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
As a man, I'll say ANYTHING! :D

I have a gooorgeous hearts and arrows cut pink tourmaline in a pendant.
I have green chrome tourmaline and brown diamonds in a ring (I designed).
I have brown zircon and Mali garnet in a ring (my profile pic, I designed).
I have a brown tourmaline and blue zircon 2 stone ring (I designed).
I have a pair of pink zircon stud earrings.
I have a pair of purplish pink zircon stud earrings.
I have an old european cut blue zircon pendant.
I have a hearts and arrows cut orange zircon pendant.
I have an aascher cut emerald and round diamond pendant.
I have an emerald cut purple spinel ring.
I have two diamond solitaire rings (I designed one).
I have a square cut emerald band.
I have a white zircon and purple spinel pendant.
I have a pair of amethyst stud earrings.
I have a pair of peridot stud earrings.
I have a blue and white sapphire ring (I designed).

I also have about 25 loose gems of varying colors and species, and I'm probably missing a few pieces of jewelry :)

Last edited:
M

maru8888777

I have green chrome tourmaline in a ring.
I have brown zircon and Mali garnet in a ring (my profile pic).
I have a brown tourmaline and blue zircon 2 stone ring.
I have two diamond solitaire rings.

I also have about 25 loose gems of varying colors and species!

I think everyone who likes pink should wear it, I'm glad to see so much pink in your collection!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have green chrome tourmaline in a ring.
I have brown zircon and Mali garnet in a ring (my profile pic).
I have a brown tourmaline and blue zircon 2 stone ring.
I have two diamond solitaire rings.

I also have about 25 loose gems of varying colors and species!

im loving this thread :kiss2:

but it would be even better with pictures

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
These aren’t great pics but gives an idea of some of what I have. I don’t have pics of my loose stones but I should do that sometime!! I just have a group picture of some of my garnets outside.

One of my friends is a ceramic artist and made this jewelry holder for me

48B96D3A-E556-41BC-8360-43240B66980D.jpeg AFEA5639-4DB6-4132-BA4B-3DEF3863F2FA.jpeg B2E2637C-6F3F-4329-8E6F-A7239016F9E0.jpeg D77AC924-6D88-491E-AFBC-2602DC310FA6.jpeg F9C88AAA-DD70-4F06-B1F6-BD0400D12862.jpeg 064DA61A-CF49-417A-A976-4D3C2159F50E.jpeg 2501B0EE-9A7F-4421-A378-2435D3D3AB80.jpeg 9EDBCBF0-8854-4547-9833-8416C48E367C.jpeg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
As they say, All of 'em, Katie!

Cool odd factoid: It used to be a masculine color of the 19th century.
Then came a great marketing gimmick to get people to buy more things :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
These aren’t great pics but gives an idea of some of what I have. I don’t have pics of my loose stones but I should do that sometime! :)

One of my friends is a ceramic artist and made this jewelry holder for me

48B96D3A-E556-41BC-8360-43240B66980D.jpeg AFEA5639-4DB6-4132-BA4B-3DEF3863F2FA.jpeg B2E2637C-6F3F-4329-8E6F-A7239016F9E0.jpeg D77AC924-6D88-491E-AFBC-2602DC310FA6.jpeg F9C88AAA-DD70-4F06-B1F6-BD0400D12862.jpeg 064DA61A-CF49-417A-A976-4D3C2159F50E.jpeg 2501B0EE-9A7F-4421-A378-2435D3D3AB80.jpeg 9EDBCBF0-8854-4547-9833-8416C48E367C.jpeg

i want to work next to you at work ! (some days we would be very unproductive!)

love the ceramic jewlery holder made by your freind
i would have insisted you took that to work to show me too !

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A simple question, hope for innovative answers! What gem species, varieties of what particular colours do you think is more masculine?

It could just be “all grey stones”, “gems of metallic colours”, or as particular as “an indigo blue sapphire in asscher cut at least 8mm face up” or anything!

I think of Rhodolite Garnet as a good stone for men.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like pink isn't considered a welcome color for men, here. I'm a bit surprised by that.

I am Costa Rican so I have a bit of a natural brown tint to my complexion and I think pink looks great on me. There are some colors that don't work well for me (like the soft brown tones, or the more brownish peach tones). I actually have quite a few pink pieces in my collection that I wear regularly and get compliments nearly every day. It's always fun explaining to people what my pink zircon earrings are and that no, they aren't cubic zirconia. Also fun to explain that tourmaline comes in more colors than just green and that my pink tourmaline pendant is also not cubic zirconia :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results