shape
carat
color
clarity

Martin Fuller & Assocs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Midway

Rough_Rock
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the appraisers from Martin Fuller & Associates, located in Virginia. I need to find an appraiser in that area and just wanted to hear opinions. Thanks in advance.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 5:53:53 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Martin is a proffesional
I used him 2 + years ago, and found the same.

Pop his name in to the search bar, and see more than 200 records come up

Review this checklist, and consider the importance to you of # 9, 10, 11, 13, & even 18. Martin''s office may not help you with these, however, many appraisers may be hard pressed to assist likewise. But some will. Depends on how much you want to a) confirm cut information in addition t color & clarity and b) get decision based evaluative help.

Mexi

Shiny_Rock
I saw him on Good Morning America two days ago - he was comparing a Tiffany diamond to a Costco diamond.
36.gif

Midway

Rough_Rock
Ira (or anyone else),

Quick question. I''ve read the lists on that thread Ira started and I suspect that most appraisers won''t be able to help me with 9-11, 13 and 18, but what about 12? I do want to independently confirm that the diamond I''m purchasing is a H&A diamond. I''m a little concerned because I spoke with an appraiser locally and she hadn''t heard of an ideal scope. Do you think Fuller & Assocs can at least help me with 12 (confirming that it''s a H&A) and at least give me an opinion on the general beauty of two stones I''m considering.
Just for some background, I''m consider these two stones: One is a 1.35, G, VS1, H&A, GIA triple ex, HCA 1.3. The other is a 1.47, H, VS1, H&A?, AGS 000, HCA 1.5. I know I can have Fuller & Assocs measure the dimensions of the two stones, take color readings, etc. but would they even attempt to tell me more subjective information, like how noticeable is the color difference between the two stones? How good of a VS1 are we talking about in the two stone?

I guess what I''m asking is can I ask them to assist me in the selection process, or is that completely outside the bounds of what I should expect an appraiser to do for me?

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Nice link, Mexi!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 3:13:47 PM
Author: Midway

Ira (or anyone else),

Quick question. I''ve read the lists on that thread Ira started and I suspect that most appraisers won''t be able to help me with 9-11, 13 and 18, but what about 12? I do want to independently confirm that the diamond I''m purchasing is a H&A diamond. I''m a little concerned because I spoke with an appraiser locally and she hadn''t heard of an ideal scope. Do you think Fuller & Assocs can at least help me with 12 (confirming that it''s a H&A) and at least give me an opinion on the general beauty of two stones I''m considering.

Just for some background, I''m consider these two stones: One is a 1.35, G, VS1, H&A, GIA triple ex, HCA 1.3. The other is a 1.47, H, VS1, H&A?, AGS 000, HCA 1.5. I know I can have Fuller & Assocs measure the dimensions of the two stones, take color readings, etc. but would they even attempt to tell me more subjective information, like how noticeable is the color difference between the two stones? How good of a VS1 are we talking about in the two stone?

I guess what I''m asking is can I ask them to assist me in the selection process, or is that completely outside the bounds of what I should expect an appraiser to do for me?
I''d be surprised if an appraiser didn''t have an H&A viewer (which cost $50?), which makes it easy to see. It''s different than idealscope, which many will not have. Note, is your diamond mounted? It needs to be loose to be judged. Then, when loose, I''m guessing your appraiser''s eye, with the H&A viewer he will likely have, will be as good as yours. Deciding what rules to apply to H&A grading is perhaps another matter. Here''s some discussion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the stones coming from two different vendors? When we were deciding on a diamond, we had two shipped to us so we could decide which we liked best. Really, only you will be able to judge which one you like best. That said, the H 1.47 AGS000 sounds fabulous and who cares whether it is a perfect H&A or not? Can the supplier not confirm that for you anyway? (Oh, and I don't think there are "bad" VS1's. That is a very safe clarity grade.)

Arcam

Rough_Rock
"I guess what I''m asking is can I ask them to assist me in the selection process, or is that completely outside the bounds of what I should expect an appraiser to do for me?"

when I went in with two stones, martin wanted me to make the decision on what my eyes thought were the best. He had me look at both of them in various lighting and had me make the decision. He did look at both of them and commented on how they were both excellent cuts, but he wanted the me t my eyes to decide, not some miniscule detail that he saw at 50x magnification.

"I''d be surprised if an appraiser didn''t have an H&A viewer (which cost $50?)"
I don''t recall Martin having an H&A viewer. If my memory serves me correctly, he gave me the impression that he thought they were more of a marketing gimmeck and that you should go with what your eyes tell you, as that is how you''ll be seeing the diamond, not through a viewer.

With all this said, why don''t you call his office up and discuss your concerns. He appraisals are not cheap, so it would be worthwhile to discuss what your concerns are before you go in, so that you are not disappointed in the end.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
To their defense...both Martin & Dave Atlas both talk about H&A as gimmicry, so maybe he doesn''t have one after all. Also, both Martin and Dave are able to speak sweet nothings about what your eye can see. There are no lies there.

Alternately, Dave has not only an H&A viewer, to suit his customers, but also sarin, and new fangled imagem. He spends money on measuring technologies, regardless of what he thinks about their actual benefit.

For many readers here, this is a difference.

Sorry, Dave, for being motivated to make a comparison. The similarities and differences, however I don''t know either practitioner very well, seemed timely.

Midway

Rough_Rock
DS, the supplier can confirm but I guess I thought it may be worthwhile to get indepedent corroboration. But you raise a good question: have I just fallen for the marketing that is the H&A diamond? Is H&A really an indication that a diamond will be overall a better performer than a GIA xxx or AGS 000 that isn''t "true" H&A?

Also, I understand both DS''s and Arcam''s point that only my own eyes should make the call. But I have to admit, it''s hard for me to decide what looks better when I see two loose stones sitting side-by-side. I guess, that''s why I was hoping the appraiser could help tip the scales one way or the other.

Arcam, did Martin provide you with any photos of the stones on request? I have a bit of a time crunch, otherwise I''d do as DS suggested and just have both stones flown out here.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truthfully, unless you are really color sensitive (and that would require you seeing both stones), what is going to stand out between those two stones is that one is larger than the other. And that is naturally going to make the H stone stand out. I doubt most of us could tell a perfect H&A from another AGS000, to be honest. So I''d feel comfortable with either of the two diamonds you picked more than likely. I was looking at that close exact size range and did choose the larger of the two stones we sent for. I used the vendor appraisal for insurance since I felt I already had a third party grading from GIA. If I were ordering a stone with questionable cut or clarity and a very high price, then I might use an independent appraiser. But AGS0 and GIA ex stones with the HCA under 2.0 almost seem to be almost risk-free assuming you''re dealing with a reputable vendor.

Arcam

Rough_Rock
"Arcam, did Martin provide you with any photos of the stones on request?"
I bought my stone from GOG, so there was no need for any additional photos.

He did take some pictures of the stone, although I think the only ones I got a copy of were of the finished ring. He did keep copies of the pictures with inclusions for his records if I recall correctly. He did offer additional photos for a fee that I could keep for my records, but I thought it was overkill given the amount of documentation I already received from GOG. I used Martin for piece of mind, rather than trying to tell me independently which diamond was the best.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside of pricescope, real world...there are a large number of jewelry retailers, even more consumers, and a few appraisers who do not know about
the many instruments and cut grade terms that are used here on a daily basis. Many retailers that I know have never heard of PS
33.gif
Hard to believe but true. I would say it''s long overdue for them to get their heads out of the sand. It''s going to be the year 2007 any day now
35.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results