shape
carat
color
clarity

Martha Stewart Everyday Paint Colors

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Greg's sister had to postpone her trip so that means I have an extra 3-4 weeks to fix up the house (which means I should really get off my ass and start painting and organizing upstairs). So today I went to Orchard (a smaller version of Home Depot here, more friendly/personable) and they have Easy Living, Dutch Boy and Martha Stewart paints. I don't love EL as I have tried it before and it's cheapo, not familiar with DB but I did like some of the MS paint selection options, the guy said it was the most expensive too, big surprise. I must have a gravitational pull towards the most pricey thing in the store.

Anyway, has anyone painted using MS everyday paint? I'm thinking what is the quality here? I have used Ralph Lauren paints before which I really love, and we have Benjamin Moore in our house as well.

Problem is that I get really easily overwhelmed by paint colors with too many selections, but I was able to pull about 4 greens that looked promising from the MS paint options pretty quickly and 3 sand/dark yellowish/gold options as well. So I'm wondering if I just like the color selection should I just do it? I want a quality paint but I also need easy paint color selection, aka I can't have 50 'sage greens' to choose from and I like the ones I chose and seem like I could make an 'easy' selection this way.

Thoughts? And any experience with MS would be great too. I don't need the top of the line paint, just want it to look nice and go on smoothly.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and here is the description. I guess it makes sense that there are only 256 colors to make it easier to choose from!!

Martha Stewart Everyday Colors® is a carefully created palette of 256 beautiful paint colors, designed to work together to bring out the very best in your home. Inspired by Martha''s favorite things in nature, our colors help you bring your ideas to life. And with combination cards that feature complementary color suggestions, you''ll find it easy to decorate every room of your home with confidence.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,

Martha Stewart paint is just ok. If you''ve already used (& painted with) Benjamin Moore & Ralph Lauren, I don''t think you''ll be happy with the MS. You can take a paint chip from MS to a Benjamin Moore store and they will color match for you. I don''t know how much paint runs in CA, but I can buy a can of MS for bout $20, but BM runs me about $35-$50 based on the color saturation.

HTH.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I didn''t know that you could just take a paint chip into BM and have them match it. I''d much prefer that....esp since the paint quality is much better from BM.

I do like some of the colors from MS...esp their greens. I think we may even have them chosen already!

Hmmm now just to actually do it. hehehe.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Eh, give it a try...people told me glidden sucked but i just did a room last month. Came out very very nice. Easy to work with. Greatcoverage. I picked a grey green called Quite Light or something like that. Wish I went one shade darker but whatever. I can''t imagine paint being that bad...especially if you''re not covering a dark color (which I guess primer would hide anyway).....

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,
We just finished part of our basement and used Benjamin Moore paints. I used a beautiful golden color in the stairwell and landing area. It''s called "Chestertown Buff" (part of the Historical Color line) and looks nothing like what is shown on the Benjamin Moore website. If you go to the store take a look at the small paint samples for purchase and you''ll get the idea. I like this color in all lighting situations. My mother-in-law had used it in her family room and I just loved it.

We also used a great fun color for the basement bathroom called "Audubon Russet" on the website it looks pink/mauve which couldn''t be further from the real color. It''s a great desert looking rust which really compliments the tile and vanity we chose.

I love interior decorating. Please post pics of what you decide.
Libby

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know i am tempted to just try it...but if BM can match?? i liked that the MS only had 256 colors so it made it easy to choose a few i liked .

i think we have it narrowed down. MS doesn''t have online swatches so i took a picture but it''s not super accurate. in the attached image...depending on your monitors, the left soft sagey green is the bathroom, the yellowish golden is the guest room and the dark grayish green is for the office.

libster, what kind of golden color would you say that BM one you did turned to be? i really want something like a deep golden yellow or similar but not too brown or too yellow. think that would be similar? it''s a bright upstairs room.

for the office i want to do a deep grayish green to contrast with our dark woods in that room; and then the bathroom (guest) will be a very soft sagey green to go with colors in there which are creams, soft greens and silvery blues. the yellowish golden is for the guest room and then i will get a soft green (aka think celery pick stitch quilt from PB type thing) to go on the beds and medium woods for the room. i want the bathroom and guest bedroom to have kind of a reverse color thing going on where all the same families of colors are used (greens, creams/golds and blues) but not so matchy...more ''reverse'').

paint options 0306a.jpg

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,
Hubby has the digital camera this morning, but when he gets back I''ll snap a couple of pics for you. Hopefully they will be true to the actual color.

izumi

Rough_Rock
Mara,

Benefit from your posts so much, so hear is my return. Try BM''s egg shell - Okalahoma Wheat or straw.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks izumi, I will check it out!!

Lib...please do post a picture when you have it.

I''d like to ideally figure this whole color thing out this week and get to painting next weekend. Greg is already making faces at me about what he deems ''the future mess''. hehehee.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow okay so i have been doing some research looking online for photos of chestertown buff and found that home forum which is part of gardenweb but for home and they have a decorating section, it''s like PS for paint and decorating!! i spent the last hour just deciphering keywords like EK and FS and other terms...it''s probably just like our ACA and GOG terminology...hehee.

i also saw a great picture of dorset gold..anyone have that in their house????

also saw a picture of chestertown buff which looks like a beautiful mustardy gold color?

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I once painted my living room MS Coffee. After drying I called it ''Baby $hit Brown''.
14.gif

The room was very dark to begin with and the ''Coffee'' just made it horrible. Bad choice on my part.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
My camera is having some sort of focus issue. This pic shows the Chestertown Buff in a dim light. I only used it as an accent in this room.

boredsaturday 026.jpg

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
This wall is washed in more light and again the camera is not having a good day!!

boredsaturday 025.jpg

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Libster, I love that piece in the background. Is it an antique?

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 3:42:37 PM
Author: Mara
wow okay so i have been doing some research looking online for photos of chestertown buff and found that home forum which is part of gardenweb but for home and they have a decorating section, it''s like PS for paint and decorating!! i spent the last hour just deciphering keywords like EK and FS and other terms...it''s probably just like our ACA and GOG terminology...hehee.

also saw a picture of chestertown buff which looks like a beautiful mustardy gold color?

Haha, Mara, I don''t really post over there, but I LOVE all the paint suggestions & pictures. Some people have some really beautiful homes!

We almost painted our kitchen/dining room dorset gold. I loved it, but my fi wasn''t too crazy about it. They actually sell that one as a 2 oz. BM sample if you wanted to try it before painting an entire room. Dorset gold is darker than the chestertown buff as seen in Libster''s photo (on my monitor at least) and I would say closer to mustard than the Chestertown buff looks.

I love the colors you picked out so far, even if they''re not an exact representation (monitors & all). I especially love the dark green - yummy!

Libster''s picture of Chestertown buff makes me really want to find a place for it in our house - VERY beautiful!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh Lib your pictures look great!!

I really do like the C Buff color...Dorset Gold looked intriguing as well. I will have to see about the sample can Danielle, isn''t that such a great idea..!!? Makes it a little easier.

So today during my bored Sunday-its-raining-outside paint research as well, I found that Restoration Hardware now sells paints. Wonder of wonders they are apparently made for RH by Benjamin Moore! So it seems to be good quality stuff. Apparently some of the colors already existed on the BM paint wheel but they just renamed them for RH. Then also added a few new colors just for RH.

Best thing is that they only have a handful of colors, aka about 15 and they all coordinate with their textiles and furniture which is perfect because the guest bathroom''s shower curtain is from RH and part of what I wanted to match is the ''green'' in the shower curtain. So I think I can use their Sycamore Green to get the super pale sage color I want in the bathroom; and then for the office I am thinking their Spanish Moss which seems fairly darkish sage green as well basically like my swatch up above. Best part is they are pre-mixed and $30 each gallon, I will need less than 1 gallon per room, yay.

For the creamy gold for the guest room, I am still thinking a BM color, either CB or DG depending, maybe I will try the sample paint can thing and see what looks best, the guest room is VERY bright and gets lots of natural light so any color will look paler during the day and a bit darker at night. I might check out the Saffron at RH which seems like a close match to the dark creamy golden color I want so if that works and is close to the BM color maybe just do that.

Oh and another random factoid, found out that BM also makes paints for Pottery Barn which are on the color wheel as well, you can stop into any PB store and ask for their paint wheel/color listing. So if you ever see something in the PB catalog you like on a wall, they used one of their own colors. But apparently it''s hard to figure out which color..so it''s not foolproof. Gotta kinda guess!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
based on the color swatches, i think they used Sycamore Green here in this image...it looks a bit darker (just a tad) in the catalog page I have.

sycamore green.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Looks fab libs!
I went MAD finding the right gray blue. It''s very difficult to find one that isn''t ''cold'' and made my eyes ache LOL or too gray... Glidden has a color pallete with a color called Mariana''s Aria and one with White Lagoon...they were the perfect gray blues for me. It always looks diff on the wall. Bastards. But those are my colors....Gray blue, China White and gray green. Very relaxing and goes great with my dark wood furniture.

momothree

Shiny_Rock
My family room is painted BM Storm Cloud Grey, which sounds like what you may be looking for for your office. Despite it''s name, it''s a deep grayish green. My kitchen is Vale Mist, also Benj Moore, which is a soft sage. If I get a chance I''ll take a picture of it when its light out. Both are lovely colors, neutrals with a bit more interest...

storm cloud grey.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
another BM fan and they do great color matching...

re martha stewart: BM told me that their martha stewart paint is a different formula than what you''d get at home depot.

also, painters seem to prefer kelly moore....but i like BM.

movie zombie

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I''m another BM fan. I''m painting my bath with "blonde wood" a nice beige color. I''d go and buy some of the small sample bottles that go for $3.00 each. Saves mixing a gallon for $30.00 and hating it ( and can''t return). Paint chips usually don''t look much like what you end up with due to alot of different variables.They have like 300 sample colors to choose from. Bring the color sample you like and then pick the closest samples you find. Good luck!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful windows momof3!!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Moonriver,
Thank you....I love this piece too! One of my favorites. I don''t think it qualifies as a real antique as it''s not 100 years old yet.

I found it at a flea market and it appeared to be solid black. I got it for a song and came home and hubby and I used a product called Formby''s to clean it up. I knew I wasn''t removing a "Patina" and damaging the value, just getting rid of dirt. To our surprise we uncovered the actual wood and it''s burled walnut and worth many times over what I paid for it.

We use it for a bar to hold all our glassware and liquor. I just love my furniture finds and mixing the old with the new and funky art. Our house is a true reflection of my hubby and I.

Mara,
The RH paints sound great. You can''t go wrong there. I hope the pics helped you see the actual color of the Chestertown Buff. I''m loving it
1.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I second that Libster.. I love that piece. I am an antique Hound!!! I love antique furniture. I picked up a vanity, dresser for next to nothing.. it was a STEAL!!!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 4:44:40 PM
Author: Libster
This wall is washed in more light and again the camera is not having a good day!!

Libster,

What color is that dark reddish brownish wall? It looks similar to our dining room (which is Pueblo Brown). It''s sooo pretty - I just love your house!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 10:08:53 AM
Author: *~*Danielle*~*

Date: 3/5/2006 4:44:40 PM
Author: Libster

Libster,

What color is that dark reddish brownish wall? It looks similar to our dining room (which is Pueblo Brown). It''s sooo pretty - I just love your house!
Hi Danielle,
I wanted a texture on that wall. It''s Behr Sandwash in Desert Paintbrush. I just looked at the Behr site and it seems that color is no longer there. It''s been about 4 yrs since I had it done. I was afraid to try and paint with the texture stuff so had a Pro do it. He actually primed the wall with a dark red primer before using the Behr and it made the color even richer.

Your dining room sounds great and thanks for the compliments on the house. I have really enjoyed decorating and living here.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2006 9:29:00 PM
Author: MINE!!
I second that Libster.. I love that piece. I am an antique Hound!!! I love antique furniture. I picked up a vanity, dresser for next to nothing.. it was a STEAL!!!
MINE,
I think I love hunting for the pieces as much as owning them. It''s such great fun to find a treasure at a flea market or estate sale...... Again, can''t wait to see the after photos of your rooms once you get started
1.gif

Libby

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
If you like historical colors, you should check out Lowe''s American Traditions line with colors from the National Trust for Historic Preservation. All of the colors are faithfully recreated from actual historic sites. Consumer Reports consistently rates it as the best buy in paint.

http://www.valsparatlowes.com/lowes/at/gallery.jsp

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2006 3:42:37 PM
Author: Mara

Not sure if you have already decided, but here is dorset gold on a cloudy day. If you want I will try and take a pic when it is sunny. I love it and have never regretted painting our family room this colour!

Heather

dorsetgold1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results