shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise ER, does anyone get them anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Are Marquise ER totally a thing of the past? If any of you have Marquise ER, please post pics of it with your wedding band. Looking for a change to mine.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock

vanderaf

that is a pretty marquise.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marquise seem to be associated with the ''80s. The only ones I''ve seen on fingers have been set in a bit outdated styles.

If you hunt around, you can find an esquisite, modern style that can update that shape of stone (such as the LM one above).

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
They seem to be considered a bit old-fashioned, but mostly in terms of the settings they tend to be in - I think they can be lovely and modern!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t forget MAchick''s amazing Greenlake ring. I think it shows that you have to do something a little bit different with a marquise for it not to look dated. I just love her ring!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So ''80s but they will come around again in a few years!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Until recently I thought they were completely passe''. I went upgrade ering shopping with my FMIL a few weeks ago, and was stunned how amazingly beautiful marquise can look in a contemporary settings. She was looking at white gold, split shank settings lined with melee, and when the SA put a 1 ct, E color marquise in it, I just about traded in my RB. I never thought I would have had such a strong reaction to a marquise. It was truly one of the most stunning looks I''d ever seen. I think the marquise is going to make a STRONG comeback soon. We just need to pry them all out of their outdated settings and give them a makeover.
9.gif

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
This one (pic) is on eBay. # 120534496981, seller is mainmonstr. 1ct center. Platinum setting w/ 2cts. I like mine oriented north/south. E/W looks like an eye staring at me, lol.

I still like the early '80s marquise with triangle sides. Very geometric.

Marquise_mainmonstr.jpg

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
I''m a little obsessed with east-west marquise rings. Here are some of my favorites (mostly posted elsewhere on this site).

22Marq2.jpg

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fashion is a funny thing. People seem to want to avoid a ring that looks like their mother’s, but GRANDMA’S is cool. This causes a peculiar pattern where things come and go in fashion on about a 20-25 year cycle. Marquise used to be hot and now it’s dead. Pears used to be dead and they’re coming back. OEC’s used to be good for nothing but recutting and now cutters are making new ones because there’s not enough supply left over after all of the recuts. It’s not like diamonds are perishable and forecasting fashion trends is destined to fail but I think the’ll be back. Heck, bell bottom pants came back, who saw that coming?

The solution is simple. Buy what you like, not what other people think you should like. The difference between being hopelessly out-of-step and being a trendsetter isn't as much as the marketers would have you think.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a huge fan of most stones being set east-west but I think the one that looks great like that (when done well) is the marquise. I remember one of the old bachelor or bachelorette seasons they had a STUNNING east-west marquise ring.

JeraVae

Shiny_Rock
I have a marquise to add

celticsol.jpg

JeraVae

Shiny_Rock
sorry that picture is so big. Here''s a side shot

celticsol2.jpg

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
JeraVae....is that your ER? Do you wear a band with it? It is very pretty.
I also have a marquise that is a custom mounting with hand engraving. DH designed it so I hate to change it, but would love to modify it a bit. ha ha.

BTW, do you have doxxies?

JeraVae

Shiny_Rock
It''s not the engagement ring I usually wear, but I do wear it on my left hand when I''m doing something active or doing something that might bang up my ring. It has such a low profile that I felt like it would be safer. When I wear it I have a stacking band that I think compliments it really well. There''s a large gap, but I like it. I''ll try to take a picture of the 2 together when I get a chance.

I do have doxies, 3 of them. They are my babies for now.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love an antique cut marquise-especially with a large culet

eta-in an e/w orientation
13.gif

LRISR

Rough_Rock
My enagagement ring from my first marriage is a a beautiful D color marquise. But since they are not quite in style and it''s under a carat (.79), it''s been hard to get rid of it. I figure I''ll hold onto to it until they come back around!

LR

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Wasn''t Catherine Zeta-Jones'' ring a E-W marquise?

They aren''t as flashy as a round, but they do have the finger coverage.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock

rhbgirl24

Your ring is beautiful...I know you are so happy with it.

Thanks for sharing!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I think that ring style is such an amazingly personal choice. I love marquise, and think they can look amazingly elegant!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People vary.
Some pay attention to styles and trends.
Others look to themselves to determine what they like.

There is also an age component to this.
Sure there are exceptions, but when people are young they are more likely to worry about fitting in.
There are lots of unpleasant things about growing old but freedom from this is one of the good ones IMHO.

Ask yourself if you like marquise diamonds.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 11:53:49 AM
Author: dreamer_d
My favourite marquise setting on PS *ever* is MAchicks: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/e-w-82-marquise-with-greenlake-jewelry-works-custom-setting.45411/
I'm 100% with you, Dreamer! Love that gorgeous setting!

I have a friend who inherited her MIL's marquise diamond of around 2.5 cts., and her fiance had it reset into a setting with side bullets and it's swoonable!

I have a RHR with a .52 ct. marquise and a halo with an airline that I really love to wear. I never EVER thought I'd love and wear a marquise shaped ring.

original.aspx

JeraVae

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2010 5:29:31 PM
Author: JeraVae
It''s not the engagement ring I usually wear, but I do wear it on my left hand when I''m doing something active or doing something that might bang up my ring. It has such a low profile that I felt like it would be safer. When I wear it I have a stacking band that I think compliments it really well. There''s a large gap, but I like it. I''ll try to take a picture of the 2 together when I get a chance.

I do have doxies, 3 of them. They are my babies for now.

Here''s how I wear this ring with the band. I know a lot of people would hate the big gap, but it doesn''t bother me.

celticcol3.jpg

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I just complimented a lady at the bank on her East West Marquise. It''s so nice to see them because they are not everywhere. Very beautiful look.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I received one in 2002, but I''m a child of the 80''s so my taste is suspect.
2.gif
I thought the elongated shape of the marquise looked better on my hand than most other options. An oval would have been second choice.

ring - LO.JPG

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
oh and I wanted to say JeraVae If I saw your ring, I would have brought it home in a nano second!! I love it! I have a very similar setting with a garnet..... I''d kill to have one with a diamond as well!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results