shape
carat
color
clarity

Mara

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lastly, a neck shot! It shows that the diamond appears more substantial than one would think for a .37c stone, esp a Fancy!
1.gif
Gorgeous!

maraneck.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
It's really pretty! I like it! Verrrrrrry sparkly!
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mara they must turn that big pair of eye shaped jump rings around so they are vertical and make them 1/2 the diameter.

I would probably have them file away the prongs so they are flat around the outside.
They can take away 2/3rds of the width because a pendant is never under any stress.

Made by a 500 lb gorilla?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just catching up Mara...
eek.gif
Very nice pendant...Looks bigger than a .37 on your neck...
21.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW. That looks soooo nice on you!!!

Maybe you have noticed that I am quite strict about the quality of jewelry metal work from other posts. I agree with all your comments about the setting (that should be done for free!
angryfire.gif
) but the pendant looks nice as is and who knows what the future may bring. Maybe a change of setting? It sounds like one more delightful challenge to em
2.gif
Anyway, given my inclunation to judge the jeweler's work under 10X
sad.gif
, there are a couple of settings around here I used to believe I will never wear, but could not bear to change after a few days! And yours looks great in the pictures, to start with.

Congrats!
9.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Your pendant is gorgeous! And it has nice presence on your neck. At first I thought 1/3 carat.... But, the Regent cut has a much larger look than I envisioned. Very white and brite. And great fire too!
love.gif

I feel your frustration also. You give detailed instructions and unless it's totally not feasible, you expect to get something close to what you want.
nono.gif
You are right to find another jeweler to do your work for you.
1.gif

Like Val said, wear this one a while. It may grow on you. If not, you can always change it out. Maybe even upgrade!
2.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, finally the site is up!! It drove me crazy yesterday. I, too expect nice (not even perfect) quality work that many jewelers don't seem to meet! I just don't understand it. Don't they really care to make the customer really happy? I truly agree with all of your comments on the pendant.

My ering prongs are making me nuts still, as they are also 'too high', and the jeweler refused to file them down more. All I asked for was 'just a tidge'. Then I got this lengthy argument...sheesh
angryfire.gif

Anyway, I love your stone, but I would show them Garry's post, heehee. Then I would find another jeweler - I go into a store now with a loupe to see fine details of past work, and close up photos of a their projects first. Takes a while to find someone with attention to detail.
10.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Garry that is EXACTLY what I had envisioned. The Gorilla analogy I agree with entirely!
nono.gif

And I didn't even post pictures of the BACK of the pendant where it's basically all but covered by this huge metal pavilion basket. That is where I think it's hindering the entering of light through girdle & pavilion.

After seeing Garry's idea of what it should look like, and knowing thats what I wanted, I will try to find a good jeweler to help me with it. I know Joe Escobar does custom, maybe they will re-work something like this. I don't shop at other jewelry stores and theirs is the only one I have been in more than once. I like their service and they have great selection. I'll ask for Erik and see if he can feel my pain. Maybe next weekend.
2.gif
Got a wedding dress to buy today.
9.gif

Anyway the pendant is still amazing--but what irks me is how much MORE amazing it could have been with a little attention to detail. Thanks for *confirming* I'm not just being picky...and that others feel the work also could have been more top notch. I brought Greg over and showed him the picture of Garry's modifications and he agreed *finally* that I'm not just super picky. He thinks it looks nice regardless but then again he doesn't have the 10x loupe plastered to his eye.
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Mara,

Don't have much time to post since my kids are running loose downstairs
1.gif
lol, But, your pendant looks great on your neck and I love the size of the stone. It looks good and even more confirms my thoughts that Regents are really cool stones
1.gif

Regarding the setting, I love the look on your neck, but if you don't like the setting exactly don't even fret about being too picky. Jewelry is such a personal preference and if you don't think it'll grow on you take it to another jeweler and have them change the prongs or jump rings slightly. I found a jeweler who redid a pair of earring settings for me and he only charged $35 since he worked with the metal already on the earrings, so maybe you can find a good platinumsmith near you who can work with the current setting.

OH, and I'm editing to add that the H color looks amazingly white! I'm even thinking of going down to an I or J for the regent I plan to save up for. Since it'll be fun jewelry rather than an eng. ring and also probably set into a pendant, I think a warmer tone will look very pretty. Plus, i love warm stones as much as colorless ones.

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Simple 20 minute job in the REAL world maybe but not at this jeweler...

He doesn't do any design or setting himself. He has another person do it so he sends it out. It took me 3 weeks to get this done, so if I took it back and said I wanted it filed down etc etc...I'm sure they'd charge me more AND take another 3 weeks to do it. Plus quite obviously they don't listen to me anyway...so why bother!

Even if I have to pay a little more to get what I want, it may be worth it. We'll see.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/14/2003 5:41:42 PM Mara wrote:

Simple 20 minute job in the REAL world maybe but not at this jeweler...

He doesn't do any design or setting himself. He has another person do it so he sends it out. It took me 3 weeks to get this done, so if I took it back and said I wanted it filed down etc etc...I'm sure they'd charge me more AND take another 3 weeks to do it. Plus quite obviously they don't listen to me anyway...so why bother!

Even if I have to pay a little more to get what I want, it may be worth it. We'll see.
2.gif

----------------

!!!! I hope you only went there once. !!!! I hope that is not the only store in the state. Ugh...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well done Garry...we are on our way!!

just let me convince Greg..
2.gif

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Mara,
Sorry to hear that you are dissappointed with the setting, but I am glad to hear that you got your sparkly back safe and sound.
I think it is really beautiful, but I can definitely understand how you feel. When I ordered furniture from a very popular store with the initials EA, they sent me a few pieces damaged with cracks and scratches. I even had to have my dining table replaced 4 times!!!
All you want is what you asked and paid for!!!
I agree with CutNut and think you should take it back to the same person. OR go to a jewelry repair shop and have them do it. I think that platinum is very tricky to work with and if you do take it to someone to have the Mickey mouse ears fixed, make sure that they use platinum, not white gold, otherwise it may not hold well and you will eventually see a difference in the color.
When I had LM make the ring, he specifically told me that if I needed to have the ring resized or have the prongs checked, to bring it to him. He has a laser welding machine he would use, he said. He said he didn't trust anyone to resize it because if they didn't have that machine, it would eventually wear off and leave lines showing where it was fixed.
Even when I had my ring resized at Tiffany's I asked how they would fix it and they told me that they used a laser to melt the platinum down so you couldn't see any lines.
Anyway, sorry to go off topic, I just have a lot of rings that I had resized where you can see exactly where the resizing was done and there is either a crack or a difference in color.
I hope you enjoy your new pendant and if you get tired of it or the setting really really bothers you, I will gladly take it from you!!!!
2.gif

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pic (borrowed with permission) from GOG website...

There is no reason your pendant can't be set that way...no issues with stability and plenty open enough for light...

The 8 prongs need to go
11.gif
...but as you mentioned you may need to wait...

As I always say...minimal prongage for Regents
10.gif

I know you don't want to be without it for tooo long...

What is the probability of getting your money back form your 'jeweler' and sending it to someone else...perhaps GOG since they are familiar with Regents

I suspect a trip to OZ is out...

Garry if I come can you fix my prongs too...you have this thing for thin prongs
11.gif

It looks awesome on your neck...

GOG pendant.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Side view...

gog pendant side.jpg

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Mara,

Take it to Joe Escobar and get it done right. They do great work, and shouldn't have any problem with what Garry suggests. (Take his pictures, just to be safe). J.E. made me a ring setting once with some lots of invisible set side stones, and did a great job. Their craftsmanship was terrific.

Nice regent! It will be a great necklace!
appl.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Garry maybe after the holidays I will ship the pendant over to OZ and have you do it the right way!
1.gif
Seems like you are the best voice of authority on the Regent settings.
rodent.gif

Diane--that face up view on the GOG pendant is an ideal look--the minimal prongs and loops are exactly what I had in mind. That side basket is exactly on the money as well. What I have has ALOT more metal.
sad.gif
Who sets a Regent with 8 prongs? It ends up looking practically like a round!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI Mara...thought it looked a bit like what you had described...I am not sure about Garry's comment about center of gravity...since you can't really tell form pic...I am sure a competent jeweler (such as Garry :) will make sure it is properly balanced...I think it would also depend on how you would plan to wear it...dangling or resting...since you want a pendant that 'rests' ...I am sure you could get the look you want...

Perhaps you can take the pics to your jeweler and show him wha you want...

Or maybe you could send it to GOG...and see what they can do for you...I suspect the postage to OZ will be a bit high...although I am sure Garry would do an awesome job
9.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mara I would be honoured to be given the opportunity to fix your necklace for free
1.gif

FedEx or UPS should not cost too much, but is not secure.
If you delivered it to somone travelling here it would be safer.

But I think you should take my photo and ask the Gorilla to do it. The 8 prongs filed flat and square will work to accentuate the Squreness.

BTW this is what center of gravity does. It is all Newtons fault.

center of gravity.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
*bump for Hest*
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ah, thanks Mara. Yeah, that setting would drive me crazy too, but the stone looks gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results