shape
carat
color
clarity

Mara

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
When is your regent necklace going to be finished?

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michelle....should be sometime early next week. You better believe as soon as I get that call I am off to pick it up---meetings be darned.
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I CAN imagine
1.gif
Be sure to post pictures! I'm getting a diamond around the same size made into a Tiffany replica of the Diamonds by the Yard necklace so it'd be fun to compare the two diamond cuts (mine is a RB with a slightly larger table).

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update...

Our jeweler called yesterday, they have to set the Regent onto the chain in a different type of way...same basket setting but they wanted to attach the small hooks on either side of the prongs (like PQ's is I think and the diamonds by the yard) and have it permanently attached to the necklace chain itself.

They were afraid it would roll around and not stay face-up the other way (which was going to be the chain going behind the basket, invisible, no rabbit ears). I don't like rabbit ears so that was a definite no...so this is the only other way to do it really.

So I think it will still look great, but I am having them add a marker at 16" so that I can wear it as a 16" chain or a 18" chain--since the diamond is permanent on the chain. I'm glad I got platinum now...since the Regent is permanently set onto the chain!

Lastly, I am disappointed that it has taken so long, they called me on the day it was to be done saying that it was delayed. They said this weekend they HOPED. I said that would be IDEAL. How long does it take to set a stone in a basket and plunk it on a chain? Argh!

Keeping fingers crossed for this weekend. I am going to call them again on Friday and stress that I really need it this weekend. Make up some non-existent trip or something.

2.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Mara, have you ever had a pendant set like that? That's how my OEC was set before I put it in into a ring, and I have to warn you, when it's permanently attached to the chain, the pendant tends to climb up one side of your neck rather than hanging straight. The way a chain clasp will creep around to the front, only worse.

I hope you don't have this problem, but you should definitely think about it before you commit to that design.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No glitter I have never had a solitaire pendant....I just don't want the setting to be visible...so this seemed like the only other option besides doing the behind slide which he said meant the stone would flip alot. I figure this may be the lesser of the two evils? What else to do?
confused.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/11/2003 3:48:05 AM Mara wrote:

What else to do?
confused.gif

----------------

Shorter chains (something close to colarbone, which means about 30cm to me, and this is what a prefer) prevent that 'flipping', heavier settings (like bezels) do that too. On the other hand, deeper settings (such as basket) are less stable. If they want to set the bashet into the chain, than the connections should be well above the diameter of the setting/stone, otherwise all this method does is turn E-W flipping into N-S! There really is no substitite for extra diameter and weight to make the pendant stable: this is why I love those hidden bezels and girdle settings to death - these are heavier and allow the width of the pendant to be larger than its depth which is one reliable trick to keep it from flipping.
I don't really know what switching to a basket setting does to improove things: if the channel left for the chain to pass behind the setting restricts the chain to the upper half of the pendant (above the diameter) than the effect is very simmilar to what they want to do now. Using a chain with flat profile (don't know what are thes called, but they look like a flat snake chain, and the foxtail or wheat patterns are rather flat too)with this makes a great difference.

This is really all the 'small flipping pendant' theory I know. It sounds like your jeweler is going for the easy way to provide a solution (which is good after all, if any others are off hand). But I would never know why the least time consuming jobs are done last in a jewelry shop!

The definitive solution to the 'small flipping pendant' issue seems to be the neck-wire 9right word?) - or a rather less flexible sort of chain which keeps its' shape. No more flipping there! But, of course, one has to like the futuristic look for starters. However, the 1mm gold models are quite flexible anf feal and look like a normal short chain. Those in titanium are really great (soft, flexible, completely weightless). platinum remains somewhat stiff, and does not come in very thin models... Well, just a sugestion.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Come to think of it, my pendant also flipped, even though it was attached to the chain. It flipped UP! It would moon everybody with its little culet. (Which is open, since it's an OEC.) I'm glad I put it in a ring. I have a CZ in the old pendant setting now, but I never wear it, it's too annoying.

I wish I knew the answer for you. However, if you find your pendant doesn't work and drives you crazy, you can always change it later, right?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes the chain, head & work only cost $200, so it's not as though it's a huge investment
2.gif
Plus you never know about the future!
9.gif

I was really picky on what I wanted for the look...two requirements a) super thin unobtrusive chain but strong and b) unobtrusive setting with invisible or almost invisibly mounting on a chain. I love when things look like they are just floating on the neck. Plus bezel wouldn't work for the Regent and I wanted a pretty open setting but nothing too high. Hence a lower basket. So we'll see I guess.

At this point I just want it on my neck!!! Flipping or creeping up or whatever it wants to do, I miss it!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I hear that Mara! I've gotten used to my necklace, but I tend to have the same problem Glitterata had. I have an 18/22 inch chain. It creeps around my neck until the pendant is in the back and I have a 4" chain hanging down the front. Mine has also mooned people by showing it's cutlet to the world!
6.gif
HeeHee. Seems someone is always pulling it back around to the front. Either me, or Hubby, or the kids. If we aren't fetching it from the back, we are centering it. I love the look, but I'm planning on setting it in a ring and wearing it that way. Just like Glitterata!
16.gif

I've gotten so used to a necklace now that I couldn't bear to be without at least a chain.
1.gif

flyingharp

Rough_Rock
----------------
I love the look, but I'm planning on setting it in a ring and wearing it that way. Just like Glitterata!
16.gif

I've gotten so used to a necklace now that I couldn't bear to be without at least a chain.
1.gif
----------------

Noooo... don't!
8.gif
I loove the look of that pendant! (Mind you, having people claw at me daily would drive me nuts too!)

Would a poll help you decide?
Up_to_something.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/11/2003 2:52:36 PM flyingharp wrote:

----------------
I love the look, but I'm planning on setting it in a ring and wearing it that way. Just like Glitterata!
16.gif

1.gif
----------------

Noooo... don't!
8.gif
I loove the look of that pendant! (Mind you, having people claw at me daily would drive me nuts too!)

Would a poll help you decide?
Up_to_something.gif

----------------

ROFL!
9.gif

I LOVE the necklace too. It is indeed a classic! I have had sooooo many compliments on it. And, of course, I get the occassional, "It's not real! It can't be! Is it?" as well. In general, people just aren't used to seeing really well cut diamonds.
2.gif

OK, FH! Do a poll! We'll see!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keep it as a necklace and get another stone next year for a ring.
1.gif

You need to keep the necklace so it matches your earrings!!!
2.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
SSsshhhhh! Mara! Santa hasn't come YET!
15.gif
Oh the agony!
errrr.gif
Hehehehe
11.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ay Caramba! (?sp?) I had enough of listening to all of this, as my unbalanced pendant sat lonely in the safe. I went down to the LA Jewelry Mart this afternoon, cause my husband has lost so much weight that we had to get his band resized down one size (yay). That gave me a perfect opportunity to take my rectangular princess cut pendent in for a remount. We went to Oscar's, because they do such nice goldwork. Anyway, I've never liked the custom setting that I had for it, cause it made it look too rectangular - so I am having a new custom setting made (only $250, melee included). It will have 3 stones set on either side to make it look more square. I won't have it back until after the new year, but we need to get a pendant eye-candy folder set up - Mara - I volunteer you
9.gif
. That way yours can be first.
10.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I second the pendant eye candy folder
1.gif
I need a place to show off my new baby.

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pendant eye-candy folder coming up once my new sweetie is in my little sweaty hands...hopefully I will get it this weekend and then I can post it right away!
1.gif
Oooh I am calling the jeweler tomorrow and confirming it will be in this weekend. I don't know if I can wait any longer!
errrr.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY the pendant is in! I am going over this afternoon to get it. Hope traffic isn't too bad, it's about an hour drive without traffic!
sick.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exciting, Mara! I hope you love it!

It'll be interesting to see if both of us have luck with our pendants not flipping. Hopefully both hang nicely. . .Our stones are the same size, but our chains are completely different (mine is a wheat chain that's twisted or something, can't remember the exact name. . ."Spiga" or something similar). . .wonder if this will make much of a difference for us.

Michelle

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pendant is set like the ones you guys have ordered. I have never had the pendant "flip" on me. I think that the pendant is attached at the 2 and 10 o'clock position, so maybe that's the reason why.
It also has never ridden up, except when I am asleep. Otherwise, when I am in an upright position, it has stayed in the front and center.
I used to have this diamond set in a 4 prong basket setting and it was not attached to the chain. That was really a pain in the a**. Everytime I looked in the mirror, the clasp was sitting right in the front, next to the diamond.
Between the two designs, the original basket and this bezel setting, I would still pick this one. I love the way it looks.
Oh, my chain is set in platinum and it is 16" long.
2.gif

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
What does Valeria not know? I love it. However, I'm happy Kayla posted to say that she does not have this problem because I wondered if it would occur with a shorter chain as much as a longer. I have more problems with my 18" necklace than my 16" so I wanted confirmation of my theory.

BTW, this necklace sounds perfect. I love PQs too.

Mara, I had posted a message on your other thread about wearing this necklace on your wedding day and what the concern would be but it seems like you do want a floating effect so disregard my babbling.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The length of my chain may be my problem. Lesley Harris at WF has the same necklace and told me she never has a problem with hers. I tried on a 16" at a jewelry shop and it felt like a choker. So, I had this one made at 18". It tends to ride a little lower than I thought it would. Hummmm. Probably shoulda got 17" instead.
rolleyes.gif

Where is Mara with pics of her pendant???
3.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, you guys, reality check here! It's only 4:15 in California...give Mara time to get home
3.gif
10.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Duh! I didn't even look at the clock when I posted. Let alone take into consideration the 2 hour time difference!
4.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lanee,

My necklace is going to be done in a week, so I'll post how well it stays in place. It's almost identical to Kayla17's except a different chain. With two little boys tugging on me all day, I didn't think the Tiffany style chain would last too long. But, my necklace is also going to be 16", set at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions with a bezel around the diamond. I hope it sits nicely as I won't be able to get it redone.

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Got the pendant yesterday afternoon and when I got home, the forum was down. Oh no!
2.gif

The pendant is gorgeous, looks excellent on the neck and hardly flips at all..it's very comfortable as well and the diamond size is pretty good, it doesn't look like a spot of shine but actually looks like a diamond pendant. When I am walking from the hallway into the lit bathroom, I can plainly see the white sparkle of the diamond from the hallway in the bathroom mirror.

However, I am a little disappointed because the setting is a little bit heavy and seems a bit 'unfinished'. I also think that by setting it the way it was, we lost a bit of the fire in the stone. The setting has alot of metal around it, more than I expected (e.g. basket setting but with alot more metal in the pavilion so its not allowing light through), and from what I read, Regents need an open setting to be able to perform to their best. It still looks amazing and on my neck it sparkles from every angle but I think that it looks a little less fiery than before. Or maybe I just idealized it in the 3 weeks it was gone. Who really knows. Paranoia
9.gif

They used 8 prongs which I was not keen on...I wanted minimal prongage. The result is that the prongs close-up tend to overwhelm the stone because its smaller. From far away you can't really tell but when you hold it and look at it, you see 8 little sticks on the stone. Not only are there 8 prongs, but they are TALLER than the stone itself when set. So from the side view you see sticks and the diamond is recessed. How long does it take to file down the prongs so that they are flush with the diamond? Lastly, the Mickey Mouse ears (small links that hold the setting to the necklace) seem somewhat big. You can see them in the pictures. Can't they be almost the same size as a regular link in the necklace? Why do they have to be so big. And it's a necklace. How much protection does this thing need? From my rock-hard neck?
nono.gif

So overall I'm not ecstatic with the setting itself, but the diamond of course is spectacular, super white (H) and still flashes good fire. I somewhat want to have someone rework the setting and all--because I feel like it's not showing the stone to it's best advantage. BUT we spent $250 on setting the thing so far, and I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill if maybe I am just being paranoid (quite possible!
1.gif
).

Also, since this is the second time that this jeweler has done the whole 'you said one thing but we did another' thing, I think I am DONE with them. I wanted to keep them for local stuff like this but get all our stones online, but I just am tired of feeling like that what I say goes in one ear and out the other.

That said, here are the pictures...I'm having a harder time taking pictures of it than my estone. But there are some interesting flashes of fire off the arrows that I caught, which my big stone doesn't really have (arrow flashes) which is new to me. Also if you look at the stone up close you really can see the symmetry looks better than my stone, even without a loupe. But you have to look very close and know what you are looking for of course. I checked the Arrows with my viewer when I got it home, and also the IS image...which was really hard to take --I need to post asking the experts how to get better pictures--all of my pictures are entirely tinged red which make it hard to tell whats REALLY red vs white. The stone appears to have relatively little leakage though you can see the typical along the edges.

Overall I love the pendant even with its design flaws (
1.gif
), the chain is the perfect length which is a relief, and it really is a darling. The stone of course is still A++++ and I am still HOOKED on Regents.
love.gif

Enjoy!
1.gif

Regent Spakle Collage.JPG

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
It's very pretty Raphne.
1.gif
Wear it for awhile and see if the style of the setting grows on you. If not, you can always change it down the road...
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is another set...this is my first set so it's not as good as the ones up above...but it shows some interesting items, also my arrows in the setting.

regent collage copy.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The funky too-dark, too-red IS image
2.gif
You can see some hints of leakage on the edges typical of an 'ideal' stone, so using that as a gauge, it looks pretty good elsewhere. But I have to find out why all my IS image are coming out entirely red, even the prongs.
confused.gif
Note the big 8 prongs....sheesh.

regentIS2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is a favorite because I caught some of the arrows ...it wasn't even a closeup and it was in diffused sunlight, really cool.
2.gif

Regent Sparkle Arrows1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results