shape
carat
color
clarity

Mali is ready to be set .. yellow gold?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
I dropped my Mali off with Jim at James Allen this week and he was nice enough tor refer it to Julianna for gold suggestions. This is what he wrote ..

Julianna looked at the stone and thinks yellow gold is the way to go. She thought green would blend, rose will look wrong and white has too much contrast

That said - how do ya''ll feel about 2 toned rings? The basket would be yellow and the shank white.

Here are 2 pictures of the Mali in a yellow gold setting ..

maliygja.jpg

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
The setting for reference ..

jat2r.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really really really love the setting choice. I love that basket look you chose.. I like two tones. if someone has photoshop maybe they can give you an idea?

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I've actually never seen a two-tone ring in person .. I guess I'm afraid that it'll look tacky. Someone a few months ago posted a picture that they had saved because they liked the setting (who did I steal this picture from?! thanks!!!) and now it's my inspiration .. assuming mine would look that good!

twotone123.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Everything regarding that idea seems right to me. I say go for it!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/24/2009 1:42:19 PM
Author: MommaChristine
Thank you! I've actually never seen a two-tone ring in person .. I guess I'm afraid that it'll look tacky. Someone a few months ago posted a picture that they had saved because they liked the setting (who did I steal this picture from?! thanks!!!) and now it's my inspiration .. assuming mine would look that good!
Not going to be tacky...

sorry just deleted... you're working with James Allen.. fun!
-agreed with ma re- go for it... can't wait for the finish piece
36.gif
36.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
mali + yellow gold = YUMMY

mz

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am not a big fan of two toned rings, but I absolutely don''t think they look tacky. It''s just my personal opinion. I have a friend that has one with a sapphire and it looks really unique. I say go for it!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like you setting choice in the two toned. I think you will be quite pleased with it!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I also like the two toned idea.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After seeing Mochi''s ring, I like all green gold actually. Very pretty stone!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d do either all yellow or all green. No 2 tone for it.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Sounds great to me!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hrmm..well both my ering and my James Meyer are 2 tone - I sure hope they don''t look tacky!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How about green gold prongs and white shank?

The prongs would blend into the stone, which would seem to be floating above the ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 1:10:52 AM
Author: arjunajane
Hrmm..well both my ering and my James Meyer are 2 tone - I sure hope they don''t look tacky!
Absolutely not. They are divine!
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 11:21:13 AM
Author: Chrono

Absolutely not. They are divine!
30.gif
He he C - that was kinda tongue in cheek, but thankyou none the less, lol
9.gif

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
arjunajane - I don''t think any of your rings are tacky. I honestly love them both (well atleast the one I''ve seen). When I say tacky I''m picturing the rings that popped up when I searched "two tone" and pictures from 2005 were all that I got.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I have something that might help you! I don''t have any two-toned pieces until my recent purchase of two LOGR rings. One of them I plan to set my mali garnet. This is a terrible picture but will give you the idea of how the color works together. My Mali is light yellow with green tone. The green tone becomes more obvious when I drop it in the 14K yellow gold halo, but still goes together nicely. This mali is very picture-shy. The ring is not set yet so the stone is propped much higher than it should be.

DSC_0037.JPG

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 9:33:29 PM

Hrmm..well both my ering and my James Meyer are 2 tone - I sure hope they don't look tacky!
arjunajane - I don't think any of your rings are tacky. I honestly love them both (well atleast the one I've seen). When I say tacky I'm picturing the rings that popped up when I searched 'two tone' and pictures from 2005 were all that I got.
Hey mommaC - I'm sorry, I was just being silly, please don't think I was seriously offended or anything!
Ah, now I see where you got the tacky impression from, lol..

I think as long as you're working with a decent vendor like JA, you don't have a chance as the two tone looking bad, they
are a quality vendor.
I personally really like the idea of 2tone for a mali in the style of setting you've posted, where the effect would be subtle.

with the scrolly-design ring, I assume the shank would be yellow and the scrolls on the head would be white?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2009 10:32:49 AM
Author: yingh
I have something that might help you! I don''t have any two-toned pieces until my recent purchase of two LOGR rings. One of them I plan to set my mali garnet. This is a terrible picture but will give you the idea of how the color works together. My Mali is light yellow with green tone. The green tone becomes more obvious when I drop it in the 14K yellow gold halo, but still goes together nicely. This mali is very picture-shy. The ring is not set yet so the stone is propped much higher than it should be.
Wow Yingh, that looks so minty in there. Beautiful.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
yingh - I love that! The Mali is going to look amazing in that setting!

arjunajane - I''m glad to know that I didn''t actually offend you .. I felt horrible for that comment!

I''m not really sure how two tones work .. I''m assuming the entire basket would be yellow or green gold then the shank white gold. Maybe the very bottom of the basket would also be white? I''m not sure. I know they make the shank and basket seperately .. but I guess that doesn''t help much.

settingpaint.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty stone, and I''m envious that you live close enough to JA to drop your stone off!

I''ve never really seen a two tone ring up close, but I''m sure JA wouldn''t steer you wrong. It''s just so hard to picture exactly what it will be like. Good Luck with it!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
After seeing Yingh''s pic, I say go for it! The setting you chose is going to be gorgeous!!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the entire basket will be yellow and the shank will be white, if you chose to go with a 2 tone ring.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to let ya''ll know that I decided on a green gold basket with a white gold shank. The ring will be here around May 8 .. so exciting! I hope I like it!
9.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/27/2009 11:36:16 PM
I just wanted to let ya''ll know that I decided on a green gold basket with a white gold shank. The ring will be here around May 8 .. so exciting! I hope I like it!
9.gif
Lovely! I am sure it will look amazing - but we will need some photos just to be sure
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results