shape
carat
color
clarity

make uP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I have fair skin, chestnut eyes (like brown and red), and dark hair. Sort of like Summer of the O.C. I don''t look like her though.

My favorite base is by Laura Mercier. My favorite eye shadow will always be from MAC.

Because my eyes are brown my color palette is pretty large. My favorite smokey eye is done with navy blue and pink. It is hard to explain on paper but it looks awesome in person. Not a-la-Terri Hatcher though, its too much. Smokey eyes take a while to do if done right but you can''t overapply the makeup or you''ll look like a drag queen!

teri_hatcher1.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is not the most flattering photo I have seen of her - too heavy on the eyes for sure.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I never wore foundation until recently. As you age, your skin tone becomes less even.
39.gif
But, I have to say - the two foundations that are superior to anything I''ve used are both Almay products. They have a "Nearly Naked touchpad liquid makeup" & their new one - which is great is "Smart Shade Makeup". The latter being harder to find as it is sold out in many places. Both have SPF''s of 12 or 15.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the tip F&I, I am always looking for new foundations

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 2:41:06 PM
Author: jetmal
oh, with those eye lash curlers.....I love to give mine a quick blast of heat with the hair dryer before I curl my lashes.....it acts almost like a curling iron, and ''locks'' the curl into place...

Deanna......what colors would you suggest I try ...medium complexion, gray eyes, med brown hair with subtle highlights....?????
Hi jetmal...

It sounds like you have alot going for you...Gray eyes look amazing with colors that flatter blue eyes as well as brown eyes. The plum and eggplant colors in the crease are a real wow...just remember to go easy for daytime. If you use a primer first all over the eye, like Canvas paints from MAC, that gives a solid platform to start off with. I apply the paints with one of MAC''s brushes. I think it is #213 or #212...the numbers have sort of rubbed off from everyday use. With a brush, you can apply just the right amount without getting you fingers messy and using excess product.

With plum or eggplant colors for shadow, a subtle taupey color all over the lid and a little liner and mascara is perfect for daywear. To dramatize things up, you could use the Creme de Violet or a like color on the lid, blending until it meets with the plum/egglant(like Sketch) color. I would also pounce in the outer corners a little Beauty Marked for emphasis.

Your eyes, depending on how light or deep the gray, would also look amazing with a rich deep blue in the crease with a vanilla shimmer or matte color all over the eye to start. The colors I was thinking of like to where with jeans or just going for work is either Deep Truth or Contrast. Contrast is probably better at night for umph, but you could also use it as a liner for day with the vanilla color all over, Deep Truth in the crease--lightly--blended out to seamlessly meld into your skin.

I think an amazing combo for going out with girlfriends is to start with the primer, then apply Tarnish pencil all over the lid, leaving the last 1/4 of your eye by your tear duct alone. I know this looks funny, but trust me. I pulled this off for St. Paddie''s day and I got tons of compliments. Anywho...Fill in your ear up to the crease with Tarnish. Stop. Use your shading brush and apply Club over Tarnish. Stop. Blend in lightly. Use your choice of black liner. I used Noir Artliner by Lancome, lifting the wand at the corner of each eye. Use you sponge wand brush(if you have one, or just a small bristled shadow brush is fine,too) and take either a black shadow with sparkles in it or a deep dark brown or Shadow Lady which has a little grey and blue in it and pounce it on the outer corners of each eye, blending with the brush up a teeny bit towards the upper crease. Stop. Blend shadows together where they come together with a makeup triangluar sponge. Use the Tarnish pencil to line your lower lashes--lightly. Complete with mascara for a look that is smokey, fun, and sultry.

I wish I was more computer inclined. I would make attempts to put a facial diagram here to further assist what I am saying. I mentioned MAC alot cuz that is what I use. The pigments of their shadows allow me to not use too much and save money in the process. I have used Bare Essentials and they have excellent pigment as well, but I love the control I have and the familiarity with MAC.

In all frankness, any line of colorations, can work this same way. I have used drug store brands and had great results. I love, love Maybelline''s Great Lash mascara. L''oreal is a great line, too. Even some of the Prestige line or NYC line can be incorporated with better dept. lines for fun and it works. The key is being willing to play a little and being willing to error. Hit and miss will help you to bring out the best you with colorations...Brushes and foundation is where I do not compromise. Good brushes--for me--help provide an acceptable to excellent result. A foundation that suits my skin or anyone''s is essential and one needs to not compromise to match it as close as possible, whatever your budget. BTW, it does not have to be a dept. store brand to work.

Hope I helped a tad...Sorry I didn''t get back to you sooner...Had a son that had to go to the doctor for viral meningitis...
emembarrassed.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Deanna - you have THE best MAC colors!

Those are the ones in every makeup artist''s pro palette. Are you a makeup artist?

My favorite color is Trax. So versatile! And there is something about MAC eyeshadows'' staying power. If you wet the brush and use the shadow as a liner - it stays on longer than even the Trish McEvoy definers. Amazing!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deanna - could this be the start of the Weekly Makeup Thread? We have a workout one!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lancome always seems to have a fun color palate of 6 shadows--I bought one last summer and another one at Christmas--that are bright and "au currant" (sp?) with the season/color trend. Great quality products and I use my angled Mac brush to apply as eyeliner instead of using a pencil.

cheers--Sharon

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 12:37:51 PM
Author: Julian
Deanna - you have THE best MAC colors!

Those are the ones in every makeup artist''s pro palette. Are you a makeup artist?

My favorite color is Trax. So versatile! And there is something about MAC eyeshadows'' staying power. If you wet the brush and use the shadow as a liner - it stays on longer than even the Trish McEvoy definers. Amazing!!!
Hey Julian!

I used to do people''s faces as part of a previous livelihood as a personal shopper and consultant...so I have a teeny bit of an edge, but in all honesty, I have alot of fun experimenting.

I LOVE Trax! That''s another great color that is very good for those with gray, blue, green, brown or amethyst colored eyes. I have seen it on all shades of eyes and how it is paired determines the outcome. I have personally used Pink Freeze as a highlighter and at the tear duct, Trax in the crease and on the outer 1/3rd of my lid with Star Voilet on the lid. I like to use the darker shadows as liners. Embark is a great choice for use in the crease and as a liner.

I like using the Paula Dork transformer. For help with making eyeshadow liners last, this is hard to beat. I have a small bottle of it and have hardly made a dent in the quantity I''ve used. One drop is all that one needs and I love it. It works with ALL makers of shadow.

My 21 year old daughter has used MAC longer than I have and she got me hooked!

The one thing I promoted(or drilled into their heads, my daughters would say!) is good skin care. If you do not care for your skin, no amount or expensive makeup is going to make it look better.

My older daughter has flawless skin now, thanks largely to using accutane while a teen for her acne. She does have a ritual she uses for her skin with good products and she hardly wears makeup. When the subject comes up, I gently caution her to use a good sunscreen if nothing else, for protection. She does not need foundation. Her eyebrows are perfectly shaped. Nice shaped mouth, so very little if any liner is needed--ever. When she does her makeup for a special occasion, she is jaw-dropping beautiful. She has green-hazel eyes with medium brown hair with wheat and caramel highlights weaved in.
emwink.gif

My younger daughter has dark brown hair that she has lightened to a wheat, caramel and golden brown mix. Her brown eyes, long, curled, thick lashes are enviable. She has always had a natural pout of full lips that are shaped very sensually(I can only say that now that she is an adult--believe me, as a child, she always had these lips!
emotion-20.gif
) and even. She is a chameleon of sorts with her makeup and I love seeing the end result because it is so amazing. Because she has always had a natural blush to her cheeks, she doesn''t need to use any extra. Her chocolate brown eyes have gold flecks in the center by the pupils.

I have naturally curly/wavy hair that I added, a weave of caramel and blonde streaks. The hairstylist I go to works wonders with my hair. I have 12 grey/silver hairs so the weave blends right in with that. My face is round. Despite how much weight I lose, I feel I always look heavy cuz of my face
emsad.gif
. I have pretty dark brown eyes, short lashes that I use primer on, nice lips--I have been told--and great skin, no wrinkles per se. I daily use sunscreen and NEVER go to bed with makeup. I do sunburn despite my olivey skintone, so I protect me as much as possible.

Just thought I''d paint you a pix of me and my girls...sorry for the rambling!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 1:02:43 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Lancome always seems to have a fun color palate of 6 shadows--I bought one last summer and another one at Christmas--that are bright and ''au currant'' (sp?) with the season/color trend. Great quality products and I use my angled Mac brush to apply as eyeliner instead of using a pencil.

cheers--Sharon
Hi Canuk-gal...

Nice to know there is another Lancome user here. I do not care for MAC''s or CLinique''s foundation so I either use Lancome''s or Estee Lauder''s. I have hyper-sensitive skin so I have to be really careful.

Yes, Lancome always has new and wonderful products. I use their skinwash to clean my face. The one in the pump. I also use their Microlift cream. I do love alot of the colors they have come up with past couple of years and their lipsticks are mostly what I wear with gloss in the center. I use the Cedar lip pencil alot.
emwink.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 12:45:24 PM
Author: Lorelei
Deanna - could this be the start of the Weekly Makeup Thread? We have a workout one!
That would be fun!

Obviously, alot of us like and love to play with it...

I actually just signed a GF and myself up for a makeover event at our local Nordy''s for the 15 of April. My FDIL''s bridal shower is later that day so I thought I would have myself all dolled up ready to go...

Knowing me, I will get the makeover and than come home and add a teeny bit of MAC to have the look be mine...
emembarrassed.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Deanna!

I will try the Paula Dorf transformer. I''ve been using the Trish bottle to make the definers last but maybe this one''s better?

Did you know that as a former makeup artist/consultant you can get 40% off MAC? That includes brushes, makeup bags, eyelashes, EVERYTHING! It''s called the PPID discount.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi y''all...
My home on the web is really makeupalley.com, I adore makeup!!

My favorite brands are Stila (love the shadows)Shu Uemura (love the shadows too!) Laura Mercier Tinted moisturizer and undercover concealer, Nars Blushes (I own 10!!) and MAC lipglasses. I am a makeup ho and love collecting it! :)

I have blonde hair and blue eyes and love bronze shadows, they make blue eyes really pop. My favorite product is a very hard to find discontinued MAC pigment shade called Coco Beach, and I use this wet with a MAC 266 brush as liner.

I also love smokey grey eyes as well. NARS katmandu eyeshadow (silver) and Stila Pewter used wet as liner also is one of my faves!

The best blush out there for most women is NARS orgasm. It is a shimmery peachy pink and it looks so awesome on many people.

I love the idea of a makeup thread!

Oh, I love fragrances too!! Also handmade e-tailer products. Any other MUA girls here?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2006 1:20:58 PM
Author: pinkflamingo
. Any other MUA girls here?
Guilty!
emembarrassed.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
MUA''er here, too!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 10:11:55 AM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds

Because my eyes are brown my color palette is pretty large. My favorite smokey eye is done with navy blue and pink. It is hard to explain on paper but it looks awesome in person. Not a-la-Terri Hatcher though, its too much. Smokey eyes take a while to do if done right but you can''t overapply the makeup or you''ll look like a drag queen!

ROFLMA!! Oh she does, she does!
31.gif
thanks for the laugh!
9.gif

Pinkflamingo, I''ve heard that there was a NARS blush that worked for everyone, but didn''t know which one. Thanks for the info! Next time I''m near a decent department store I''ll see if they have it. *grumble* no shopping *grumble*. It''s a peachy pink?

Does anyone like lip/cheek stains like Benefits or the Body Shop''s? I think the color lasts so much on my lips then any of those long wearing lipsticks. I can go out with nothing but lip balm in my purse, and still have some color on my lips all day or night! Doesn''t come off on glasses or the bf either!

DeannaBana, you have a 21 yr old daughter and only 12 silver hairs?!? I now officially hate you!
5.gif
(just kidding) I''m 33 and have like 40-50 silver hairs. My bf has actually threatened to dump me if I ever dye my hair in any fashion... but then he''ll lean over me and start counting grey hairs!
29.gif
My only consolation is that they are very shiny. Sorry mini hiijack!

Thanks fire&ice! I''ll try the Almay foundation. I''m not entirely sure I see a difference with the BB tinted moisturizer. Do you think the ''Smart Shade'' is as sheer and natural as the ''Nearly Naked'' one?

Can anyone recommend a good eye-makeup remover? They either seem too weak or too oily! I hate those oily blue ones.
8.gif

And a recommendation for a silky concealer please?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 2:13:26 PM
Author: Wren

Date: 3/25/2006 10:11:55 AM
Author: fortheloveofdiamonds

ROFLMA!! Oh she does, she does!
31.gif
thanks for the laugh!
9.gif

Pinkflamingo, I''ve heard that there was a NARS blush that worked for everyone, but didn''t know which one. Thanks for the info! Next time I''m near a decent department store I''ll see if they have it. *grumble* no shopping *grumble*. It''s a peachy pink?

Does anyone like lip/cheek stains like Benefits or the Body Shop''s? I think the color lasts so much on my lips then any of those long wearing lipsticks. I can go out with nothing but lip balm in my purse, and still have some color on my lips all day or night! Doesn''t come off on glasses or the bf either!

DeannaBana, you have a 21 yr old daughter and only 12 silver hairs?!? I now officially hate you!
5.gif
(just kidding) I''m 33 and have like 40-50 silver hairs. My bf has actually threatened to dump me if I ever dye my hair in any fashion... but then he''ll lean over me and start counting grey hairs!
29.gif
My only consolation is that they are very shiny. Sorry mini hiijack!

Thanks fire&ice! I''ll try the Almay foundation. I''m not entirely sure I see a difference with the BB tinted moisturizer. Do you think the ''Smart Shade'' is as sheer and natural as the ''Nearly Naked'' one?

Can anyone recommend a good eye-makeup remover? They either seem too weak or too oily! I hate those oily blue ones.
8.gif

And a recommendation for a silky concealer please?
Hi Wren...

I am not too sure about the lip/cheek stains, but if I find one I like, I will let you know...I personally wear little or no applied blush cuz of my natural blush, but the Nars one sounds good and worth checking out.

On the silver hairs...my sons playfully did a tickle-tackle awhile ago and counted the silver hairs and my hairstylist confirmed it. I thought rather than making the silverness stick out kind of weird as I got more, why not blend them in---thus, evolved the weave thing. My natural haircolor is deep dark brown and it has kind of lost its sheen with age so the weave has added not only depth and texture but given it back some gloss and health.

On makeup remover...my daughter loves the one by Maybelline that is oil free and pretty inexpensive. I use my Bifacil by Lancome if I have heavy eye makeup or just my cleanser. I have also used the Maybelline one and it was fine for me...sorry, I am probably not much help...
emsad.gif

On concealers...this is so much based on what works for you and how bad you need it. I use concealer in the corners of my eyes cuz the skin gets darker there with age, around the mouth, and the sides of nose. I personally love the wand type from Lancome, but they also have one in a pot that is nice and you can use your finger or a brush to apply it.

Also on concealers...some folks put this one after they apply their foundation and if that works for you, great, but I apply it before and it seems to lessen my need for alot of foundation. I wear little foundation anyways, only where I need to even things out. I always finish with loose powder. Make sure the concealer is about 2 hues different than your foundation or skintone with a touch of yellow in it for most natural results.
emembarrassed.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wear MAC makeup but on a daily basis i hardly wear any makeup, i have the skin tone where it kind of looks like i always have a bit of eyeshadow on even if i don''t. i have brown eyes (with a touch of green if the light hits them) and olive skin. during the day i wear a shimmery neutral ivory and either a blue (if my eyes look a little tired) mixed with a bit of browns or a pink with tans or browns to keep things subtle, at night sometimes i wear a dark bronzey shimmery one and touch up the corners of my eyes with a super pale ivory shimmer just for some ''brightening'' around the eyes.

i had MAC do my makeup for our engagement party and the gal did an amazing job even though i don''t typically wear that much makeup. for my wedding it was a litle bit more subtle but it was also destination and she could have gone a little heavier on the color but we were running out of time!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 2:13:26 PM
Author: Wren

I love both. To me, they are both sheer & natural (the Smart Shade seems to naturally match your skin tone better w/o effort). The Smart Shade is odd. I can''t figure it out. It goes on like moistuizer & then little colors thingy''s must burst and blend in with the moisturizer. I''m not familiar with the BB tinted moistuizer. Does that operate the same? I''ve just bought the Smart Shade & it''s working great b/c my skin is drier in the winter. It looks very natural on & I don''t feel like I''m wearing anything buy moisterizer. They are both sheer and natural. That''s why I like them - they don''t feel like you have something unnatural on your face. Though on my chin & the top of my nose, I still brush a small amount of "powder" instead.

Funny, my friend read an article that talked about the best new cosmetic products & the Smart Shade was on there.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
What a great thread!

I currently am addicted to the clinique super and soft shimmer eyeshadows. I love sublte pastels and earth tones to brighten up my eyes. Mine are like Mara''s--brown with hints of green when the light hits them. I love ivories, taupes, purples, blues and greens. I try to coordinate the shadow and eyeliner color I use (either Mary Kay Signature or Clinique quickeyes liner in navy, moss, grape, etc). I always hated brown eyes but they are so versatile and can pop with so many different colors. Always wear black mascara though. Right now I am using shiseido''s mascara base and either Lancome hypnose or clinique high impact. i always am searcing for the holy grail of mascara.

Agree with Deannabana--the MAC 213 brush is awesome! Im more of a MAC girl for my lip colors and blot powder. have been using mac spice for years.

for my eyes, I usually use a soft color (love to experiment!) on the lid, a white or light highlighter over the browbone and a slightly darker color in the crease. I try to get the liner as close to the lash margin as possible to "fill them in" instead of just drawing a line at the base of my eyelid. Also girls please do not put eyeliner on the inner rim of your lower eyelid, but just under it where your lashes are. You have glands in your eyelid that produce part of your tears and if you block them with eyeliner trouble can ensue! i also fill in my brows with MAC eyebrow pencil, the old kind. They discontinued it but ebay is my savior! stocked up there.

for cheeks I use Nars Orgasm which truly is a very flattering color and Tarte blushing bride gel stick (I LOVE these. They smell yummalicious!)

foundation i am using mary kay timewise and found my old staple, dior teint glace oil free stick (discontinued
7.gif

on ebay. but after using MK i like it better.

I still love my Lancome bifacil makeup remover! out of all the biphasic ones, that one seems the least greasy with the best effect.

koko

Shiny_Rock
A co-worker of mine who does make-up on the side (for weddings, etc.) swears by MAC, she used to work for them after she trained in London for cosmetology several yrs. ago. (Now a Dental Asst.!)...I''ll bet she''s getting the discount too!!
27.gif
.....Anyway, the very best eye makeup remover I''ve ever tried is "Almay Oil Free Makeup Remover Pads"....I wouldn''t wear mascara daily until my friend told me about this product......it claims to the the #1 bestselling makeup remover brand in the U.S. & I can see why!!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 7:33:59 PM
Author: koko
A co-worker of mine who does make-up on the side (for weddings, etc.) swears by MAC, she used to work for them after she trained in London for cosmetology several yrs. ago. (Now a Dental Asst.!)...I''ll bet she''s getting the discount too!!
27.gif
.....Anyway, the very best eye makeup remover I''ve ever tried is ''Almay Oil Free Makeup Remover Pads''....I wouldn''t wear mascara daily until my friend told me about this product......it claims to the the #1 bestselling makeup remover brand in the U.S. & I can see why!!
You are correct, Koko...Almay''s makeup remover pads are super....
face23.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2006 7:04:53 PM
Author: PunchNPie75
What a great thread!

put eyeliner on the inner rim of your lower eyelid, but just under it where your lashes are. You have glands in your eyelid that produce part of your tears and if you block them with eyeliner trouble can ensue!
HI:

Does this include eyeshadow used as liner? I thought that most eye products are considered (or advertized anyway) as having non-pore blocking qualities; are pores the same as ducts? What of products that are advertized at "ophthalmology tested/safe"?

cheers--Sharon

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 7:44:45 PM

What a great thread!

put eyeliner on the inner rim of your lower eyelid, but just under it where your lashes are. You have glands in your eyelid that produce part of your tears and if you block them with eyeliner trouble can ensue!
HI:

Does this include eyeshadow used as liner? I thought that most eye products are considered (or advertized anyway) as having non-pore blocking qualities; are pores the same as ducts? What of products that are advertized at ''ophthalmology tested/safe''?

cheers--Sharon
For me, personally, my eyes get irritated if I wear eyeliner on the inner rim of my lower eyelid, so I line my eye on the bottom but just 3/4 over and then I do not have a problem.

I have a couple of friends who have really big eyes who do this and it has helped make their eyes look not so big and pretty. They use colors like a brown-black or an aubergine which is really rich and pretty.

I just don''t like it myself, but to each their own...I wear contacts too so it is just too much for me...
emembarrassed.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo I love love love makeup!! My mom was a professional makeup artist (she was even the best in Southeast Asia according to several magazines back then) when we lived in Singapore so she used to take me to her bridal shows or model shoots or whereever so I''ve always dabbled in makeup since I can remember
1.gif

I swear by Chanel and MAC and only use Clinique for a foundation (I love light bases). Eyeshadows are my weakness. I have several Chanel quad eyeshadows which are great and lots of different MAC colors. I''m asian so I love all purples, blues/aquas, grays/silvers, black frosty eyeshadow and pastel colors. I dislike and look bad in browns/bronzes, golds, anything with a true red undertone and dark pinks. They make my eyes look puffy.

I really love frost eyeshadows but first I apply MAC Eye Paint which is a great eyeshadow base that''ll make your eyeshadow last for hours. I either use the nude Eye Paint or the silver based Eye Paint depending on my mood. Then depending on what I feel like or what I''m wearing, I always have to apply a dark shadow, either MAC''s Black Velvet (it has some shimmery-ness) or Chanel''s purple quad (the dark purple). I''ll either apply it right below my brow bones or only on the outer corners of my eyes. Being asian, I need to create an illusion of deeper set eyes. I always like to add some sort of funky, bold color but the trick is to blend, blend blend! (but you can''t blend too much or else it''ll look completely mixed) If you''re going for a more bold look then make sure to blend around the brow bones but you can leave the actual color below. I honestly get a ton of compliments on my makeup when I actually take the time to do it right, but on most days depending on where I''m going I like going for more of a subtle look.

Also a tip on eyeliners, I find that liquid eyeliners work best on me, but it took years to get it just right
14.gif
and then get a really great eyeliner brush (I recommend MAC again) either use a dark eyeshadow or sometimes I like to use just a bit of blue frost or purple frost in the inner eye corners.

The main thing is although I do put on alot of work on my eyes, it''s next to impossible to tell in photos (as the whole point is not to appear gaudy!) but you can actually see the effect when you get close to a person.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 7:44:45 PM

What a great thread!

HI:

Does this include eyeshadow used as liner? I thought that most eye products are considered (or advertized anyway) as having non-pore blocking qualities; are pores the same as ducts? What of products that are advertized at ''ophthalmology tested/safe''?

cheers--Sharon

i generally tell my patients to try and keep any makeup away from the inner rim just because you want the openings for the tear glands to be free. non comedogenic makeup is said to keep skin pores clear but the glands on the eyelids are not technically skin pores. doctor tested stuff is tested to be gentle on the eyes but stuff can still get in the eyes (ive seen mascara and such lodged in people''s corneas)so its always best to be careful around your eyes
21.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
OK, here''s a question as far as eyeshadow. I basically have no upper lid showing when I open my eyes (I''m not Oriental but perhaps I have more of an Oriental eye- but maybe not quite to that extent) so I am never quite sure how to best apply eyeshadow. Should I put it above the crease, all the way up to my eyebrows? Sometimes I feel like this looks like too much, but if I don''t do it that way, you can''t tell I''m wearing eyeshadow unless I close my eyes or look down. Any ideas?

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''m horrible with makeup... I have brown hair, green eyes and a naturally tanned complexion (although I''m caucasian), but I also am stuck with permanent shadows under my eyes, so dark colours and eyeliner make me look like I haven''t slept in weeks. Any tips/products, colours I could use?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 10:55:26 PM
Author: Cind11
OK, here''s a question as far as eyeshadow. I basically have no upper lid showing when I open my eyes (I''m not Oriental but perhaps I have more of an Oriental eye- but maybe not quite to that extent) so I am never quite sure how to best apply eyeshadow. Should I put it above the crease, all the way up to my eyebrows? Sometimes I feel like this looks like too much, but if I don''t do it that way, you can''t tell I''m wearing eyeshadow unless I close my eyes or look down. Any ideas?
Hi Cind11!

Obviously, without a photo this could be a bit tough, here goes...Apply your eyeshadow as you usually would, but go out more towards a "v" with the darker shadow for the crease lifting towards the brow but not meeting with the brow---does that make sense? Make sure to start with a good primer to hold your eyeshadow first after you apply your foundation and powder. The primer gives staying power to the shadow. I advise you to apply your shadow with brushes if you do not already do so. Pat the darker crease shadow in the small of the "v" to add depth to your shape of eyes, lifting the brush upwards but again, not meeting the brow.

Be careful with using eyeliner because sometimes with what you are describing, if you use too much, your eyes seem harsh...too little and they disappear entirely. This will take some time and patience, but again, with seeing you I am going at this blind...

Never forget your mascara and to blend just enough of the eyeshadow on the edges to seamlessly melt into your skin.

Good luck...
emrose.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 11:32:38 PM
Author: anchor31
I''m horrible with makeup... I have brown hair, green eyes and a naturally tanned complexion (although I''m caucasian), but I also am stuck with permanent shadows under my eyes, so dark colours and eyeliner make me look like I haven''t slept in weeks. Any tips/products, colours I could use?
Anchor,

Alot of women have what you are describing. Take a hand mirror if you have one or a mirror on a stand put on your bathroom counter and look down into the mirror. Apply concealer ONLY where you first see a need when you FIRST look into the mirror. I know this sounds a bit hokey, but I thought someone else mentioned this in an earlier post...maybe not.

Less is more with concealer and placement on the heaviest part of your problem with the eyes is critical---or it looks too cakey or it further emphasizes the issue. If you cannot do this on your own and be able to accomplish what I am attempting to achieve, go to a local dept. store makeup counter and have them show you a few of their tricks for you. Play with these ideas and applications and soon you will achieve the look you want.

Placement of the eyeshadows, especially darker colors, can make one look quite drab or gothic like if you not careful. One trick is to also use a moisturizer or light diffusing lotion or foundation in those areas as well. When light is diffused, it minimizes or causes one to see something slightly different than it actually is...

There is a host of products out there, skin tints or tinted moisturizers that have these particles for brightening and lightening the skin. If you are able to have one of the gals at the counter work on you for a little bit you may see a big difference in what a tweak or there might do.

Good luck and have fun with this!
emotion-5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results