shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge Garnets

Cognition

Rough_Rock
what is this mahenge garnet? what make it so special? is it only some marketing strat?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cognition|1475592308|4083501 said:
what is this mahenge garnet? what make it so special? is it only some marketing strat?

These do not seem to get overly dark, comes not only in a wide variety of colours, but many seem to have very strong colouration. In addition, they also seem less shifty than the "typical" garnet.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any news (hey Tuscon folks!) on the availability of this material this year? I'm still seeing various people cutting a few of these, but.. Is there still rough on the market, or is it all snatched up at this point?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply stunning!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! That garnet of Gene's is gorgeous. I hope someone from here gets it.

S

SparkliesLuver

chatoyancy said:

The asscher pictured above is from Ryan Quantz. Sorry if my post was confusing. Gene picked up more rough. :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I prefer purple garnets, specifically because I am not quite sold on Mahenge salmon undertones, they do look pretty in some lights. These two have different origin and somewhat different cut, but they either can be recut, or hidden in a setting

Photos taken with my back to the window, and in office light. I think that maybe combining them with bi-color indonesian pearls? Or Kazumis?

20170214_112352.jpg

20170214_112342.jpg

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1487081000|4128535 said:
chatoyancy said:

The asscher pictured above is from Ryan Quantz. Sorry if my post was confusing. Gene picked up more rough. :)

Whoops! I misread it. Ryan Quantz's garnet is gorgeous then. :love:

ky6

Shiny_Rock
I haven't been on PS for years. I was active when I was researching for an engagement ring. But a google search for this "new garnet" I'd come across brought me to this thread. And I just have to say, wow! I love these garnets. Looks like I need to spend some time poking around PS and learning again, as I'm pretty sure I need a piece with one of these beautiful gems.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was in chatting with a local jeweler this weekend and they showed me some "lotus garnet" they had. Wait, what? They sure looked like the lighter peachy/pink end of the Mahenge garnet material.

They jeweler mentioned that someone had managed to secure much (or all) of the production from some locale and was branding it as lotus garnet (presumably from the pad-esque color range.

So, with a little search, indeed "lotus garnet" is trademarked by the Idaho Opal and Gem Co

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:qpytmj.2.1

The story told by Parle (same company) sounds like its the same material with a fancy name..

https://www.parlegems.com/blog/discover-lotus-garnet/

So, heads up!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rough in the really large sized ones which are fairly rare - 12 to 20+ carat rough stones are fetching top dollars for garnets, the Asian market has been buying them up, the smaller rough is still relatively affordable and pops up with various dealers, the pinky purple ones that are never an unpleasant colour are my favourite. Some of the larger brighter reds have been selling for top prices.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results