shape
carat
color
clarity

luck with cushion, no luck with setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
hello again! with the enormous and amazing help with PSers, i was able to find and secure my perfect cushion!!!
30.gif

however, now it is time to search for a setting. since we put a whole buncha money into the stone, we have limited options for the setting.

ideally, we would want something below $800, in white gold or platinum (though this seems unrealistic for our budget). we''re mostly looking at solitaires without stones. ideally, a thin solitaire (2.00mm or less) with not too thick prongs would be best. any suggestions? i''ve looked at whiteflash, james allen, shane co, ERD, mondera, pearlmans, LOGR on ebay, union, and excel. the one we liked the best is the whiteflash legato sleek line solitaire. However, we were quoted $1015 for the setting, fee to set it, and a customized head for the cushion since it only fits rounds or princesses.

so any suggestions? links, images, ANYTHING is appreciated! stats and pic of my cushion is below. i am SO excited about this, but i need some help to find my setting! PS to the rescue (again)??

Color: J
Clarity: VVS2
Depth %: 66.8%
Table %: 58%
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.73 x 7.71 x 5.15 mm
Length/width ratio: 1

mycushionchoice12012009.JPG

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Sweetpea, honestly if you plan on changing your setting sometime in the somewhat near future, I would just go with a plain WG setting from Whiteflash or BGD. They can certainly make you something nice in WG to fit that budget!!!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
At that price level you can have all sorts of things made for that stone. Most manufacturers make all sorts of parts which can be assembled to make a complete ring. You just pick a band and a head, assemble them and set the stone. Narrow bands just make it that much easier to do this at the right cost for you. Ask around have them show you what sorts of parts are available and go from there. The attached image was a ring that was assembled from a double prong basket head from Stuller and a band from Roseco. Any bench person can do this easily and well within your budget.

Alex4.jpg

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 12:48:51 PM
Author: Michael_E
At that price level you can have all sorts of things made for that stone. Most manufacturers make all sorts of parts which can be assembled to make a complete ring. You just pick a band and a head, assemble them and set the stone. Narrow bands just make it that much easier to do this at the right cost for you. Ask around have them show you what sorts of parts are available and go from there. The attached image was a ring that was assembled from a double prong basket head from Stuller and a band from Roseco. Any bench person can do this easily and well within your budget.
thanks! where can i get the highlighted portion done? any B&M? an online vendor? i thought the quote from WF was way high for a WG setting, hopefully i will find a better alternative. thanks!!!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 11:28:59 AM
Author:sweetpea&babycorn
hello again! with the enormous and amazing help with PSers, i was able to find and secure my perfect cushion!!!
30.gif

however, now it is time to search for a setting. since we put a whole buncha money into the stone, we have limited options for the setting.

ideally, we would want something below $800, in white gold or platinum (though this seems unrealistic for our budget). we''re mostly looking at solitaires without stones. ideally, a thin solitaire (2.00mm or less) with not too thick prongs would be best. any suggestions? i''ve looked at whiteflash, james allen, shane co, ERD, mondera, pearlmans, LOGR on ebay, union, and excel. the one we liked the best is the whiteflash legato sleek line solitaire. However, we were quoted $1015 for the setting, fee to set it, and a customized head for the cushion since it only fits rounds or princesses.

so any suggestions? links, images, ANYTHING is appreciated! stats and pic of my cushion is below. i am SO excited about this, but i need some help to find my setting! PS to the rescue (again)??

Color: J
Clarity: VVS2
Depth %: 66.8%
Table %: 58%
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.73 x 7.71 x 5.15 mm
Length/width ratio: 1
Anything with pave diamonds you will have to pay for the diamonds and the labour to set them. That going to be pretty hard to get a quality band with pave for that $800 budget. I think the ring Michael E posted is gorgeous, its similar to the GOG angel setting and I would consider something like that in all WG.

You should also know that there will be a contrast between your J colored cushion and the usual G/H pave diamonds that are usually used in the legato or other pave bands. Even if it was I/J melee(rarely used) you would still see that contrast because well cut round melee will look brighter than the cushion. My Fiance likes the contrast between cushion and band in her ring but it will make your big cushion look like it has more warmth than if it was in a plain solitaire setting.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
CCL, we are not looking for a pave style ring. we''re sticking with a plain solitaire for now and see where we are financially in 3-5 years. unfortunately, i am quite picky about the plain solitaire, so the search continues :)

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 2:36:19 PM
Author: sweetpea&babycorn
CCL, we are not looking for a pave style ring. we''re sticking with a plain solitaire for now and see where we are financially in 3-5 years. unfortunately, i am quite picky about the plain solitaire, so the search continues :)
Show Mark what you want in all WG and see if he can do it(purchasing stuller head etc.), you will likely pay too much in shipping and insurance($35 - $50 two ways) for it to be worth having anyonelse do it.

Collee

Shiny_Rock
A little over your budget at but what about the WF 'Fine Line'? Setting is VERY similar to the Cartier.

Here are PSers pics of the the setting

PSU1226 - 1.57 RB

Th003g - 1.09 RB

LDubs - 1.3 Cushion

I would also search Ingwer. They have a vast assortment of simple and classic settings at very reasonable prices (well under 1k). In fact they make a "replica" of the setting above (avail in WG and PT).

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
doesnt Mark have any ideas?

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
well both bf and i are being picky about the solitaire. he didn''t like the WF fine line. we liked the legato, but WF quoted 1015 to make it and Mark said the lowest price he could offer was $900. i think we might go with BGD because they said they would do it all for $800, but we also have to think about shipping costs.

we are mostly being picky because we don''t know how long i will have this setting. we definitely want to change it, but it might be 3-5 years. plus if we get a nice solitaire now, i can use it for something later on....
31.gif

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
what do people think about a 3-stone with 2 OEC side stones? bf brought up this idea and is willing to pay more for a 3-stone setting like this one: Excel Diamonds 3-Stone Setting

im not sure how i feel about a square brilliant with 2 OECs so i''d like to know what you all think?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I love OECs but I think they may not mix well with a modern style cushion. Is there any way you can look at the cushion with some small OECs to see what they look like in person together? There's no easy way to tell without actually eyeballing them, but the very different look of the two cuts makes me think round brilliants would be a better mix.

I'd probably get a stock Stuller setting if I were you for the time being- it sounds like you've determined that the slighly higher end options like WF are not gonna work. Stuller is pretty reasonable and they're fairly customizable (you can pick out a variety of different heads to put into bands that take a peg head), and have whomever you're buying the diamond from set it. You can always have prongs fiddled with later if necessary to make them smaller. Stuller and the like are really easy for any jeweler to order from. And reasonable. My Stuller 14K basket leverback earrings for 8mm stones were $30, about a month ago when gold was around 1Kish / oz, though I think my bench guy is a sweetie and charged me only his cost and nothing else.

peterspixie

Shiny_Rock
Don't know if you wanted to or even bothered to look but Ebay has several settings for well under your 800 price range and they are awefully pretty too! I will post a link here so you can take a quick peek!

Ebay semi-mounts I know Ebay can be taboo sometimes but I have been tempted to buy some of these because they seem to be a really good deal! Of course it does depend on the seller as well!

Oh I just noticed you did look on Ebay
14.gif
My bad sorry!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2009 4:12:09 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I love OECs but I think they may not mix well with a modern style cushion. Is there any way you can look at the cushion with some small OECs to see what they look like in person together? There''s no easy way to tell without actually eyeballing them, but the very different look of the two cuts makes me think round brilliants would be a better mix.

I''d probably get a stock Stuller setting if I were you for the time being- it sounds like you''ve determined that the slighly higher end options like WF are not gonna work. Stuller is pretty reasonable and they''re fairly customizable (you can pick out a variety of different heads to put into bands that take a peg head), and have whomever you''re buying the diamond from set it. You can always have prongs fiddled with later if necessary to make them smaller. Stuller and the like are really easy for any jeweler to order from. And reasonable. My Stuller 14K basket leverback earrings for 8mm stones were $30, about a month ago when gold was around 1Kish / oz, though I think my bench guy is a sweetie and charged me only his cost and nothing else.

yes, this is what i''ve been trying to tell bf! he really wants me to be happy so we''re going with a solitaire and will make a pendant with the 2 OECs.

thanks everyone for your input, i found my setting!!!!!!!! it is from ID Jewelry and something that they just had come in. It''s 18K white gold and they sold it to us for just under our $800 budget! i cant wait to see the finished product!

IMG_6467324252346.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Are they going to change the head? I am not sure it is going to work for a cushion. Other than that .. beautiful though!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 10:32:19 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Are they going to change the head? I am not sure it is going to work for a cushion. Other than that .. beautiful though!
Ditto! ??

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 10:37:45 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Date: 12/7/2009 10:32:19 PM

Author: CharmyPoo

Ditto! ??

oh yes of course!!! it''s shown with a 6prong head for rounds, but they will change it to a 4prong head to fit the cushion, sorry!!!

Roxie Bling

Rough_Rock
Trade
Love your diamond (and look forward to seeing how you will reset it). I saw your specs, but missed seeing the ct. w. Maybe I just didn''t search right, but would you help my tired brain and post your ring size and carat weight? Thank you. I am on a mission to find a cushion myself, and yours is beautiful.

Wendy

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the kind words roxie!!

the carat weight of the stone is 2.09cts.

my ring size is a 6, but my fingers are pretty "fleshy" so i go with a 6.25 which is perfect! i also love the size of my stone, but wouldn''t mind upgrading in the future if my fiance agrees :)

good luck with the cushion search! post here if you need help, everyone here is very resourceful and helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results