shape
carat
color
clarity

lost stone from Niessing tension ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
All we have established here is the power of Pricescope.
rodent.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/28/2004 1:45:21 PM Rank Amateur wrote:

All we have established here is the power of Pricescope.
rodent.gif
----------------

And, that I'm really riled up. I rarely get that way about a vendor. I usually see their side of the story. Why does this remind me of a guy whose having an affair & the only regret is getting caught?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Has Niessing offered to replace the missing stone? To me, that would be standing by their product.

They don't have to offer the guarantee. But if they do offer it, they should stand by it. None of this nonsense about it being the customer's fault for possibly clapping her hands.

It sounds like Niessing is saying that if the stone fell out, it can't have been normal wear and tear. They guarantee the setting unless the setting fails, in which case the guarantee is void. What kind of guarantee is that?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/28/2004 12:06:52 PM fire&ice wrote:

----------------

On 7/28/2004 10:41:40 AM elmo wrote:

I don't so quickly dismiss Niessing's position on the issue of hand clapping, ----------------

In all my years of wearing my prong set rings, I have never had a problem & I've been clapping all my life.

Geez, Mara even wears her prong set ring to kickbox for pete's sake.

----------------

My understanding of their response is not that handclapping itself could be at fault, but that inadvertently striking a solid object while handclapping was possible. I don't see where this scenario, even if unlikely, is unique to tension rings.

reena

Ideal_Rock
I don't agree at all that that is what the vendor said. He said:

What we guess in your special case is: You said, you and your wife had been in a theatre. You will have clapped your hands(!?) Your wife may have worn a second ring on the opposite hand of the tension ring(?) Handclapping, maybe several minutes? Please don't understand us wrong, it is just a guess but it seems to us that this may have caused the loss of the stone. But: this is not a special problem for tension (or Niessing-) settings! Handclapping is a tough and powerful movement (just whatch your red hands after a few minutes of applause) and this power is able to damage all sorts of rings or even diamonds.

nemod

Rough_Rock
Dear all

I'd like to thank you all for sharing yours opinions with us. At first moment we thought that we're all alone in our sadness. After we (I) posted notice in the forum and saw all comments and opinions it’s a little bit easier to think that there are some people out there who cares. Today Niessing sent us new e-mail which informs us that ring is still in the company.

Insurance against a loss is a pretty good idea but it was not possible in Slovenia on the time when I bought the ring for my wife. Now Slovenia joined the EU and when/if I’ll get old/new one I’ll try to find decent insurance company in the EU.

Something about “handclapping”: first we were in the theatre but it wasn’t ordinary performance. It was final rehearsal where our son takes part in it therefore at the end of it there were NO handclapping. Second it is pretty normal in this part of the world that woman wear engagement ring on the right hand and wedding ring on the left hand. If producers of the tension setting rings believe that “handclapping” is a risk than they should inform the potential buyers about the risk. I assure all of you that I had long conversations with both, Niessing (by phone; by the way they don’t sell to end customer so I need to find a contracted jeweler in my neighborhood) and jeweler (in vivo) and I asked them about the risks: they both claim that it’s practical impossible to loss the stone from the tension. Third my wife holds a PhD in Biology and myself in Physics so we are aware of what kind of force “from outside” is needed to do such thing and what influence it’ll have on human finger/hand. We performed some tests with ourselves and other people about “handclapping” – all of them “handclap” with fingers of one hand against palm of another one.

Some of you asked me about pictures and which design that was, and other details; I’d like to inform all of you that in spite of my own photos and those from Niessing I’ll wait until Niessing and we try to find out mutual agreement. I think this is fair to all parties involved in this.

Thanks again to all of you and we'll keep you all informed.

Domen & Katja

Jolie

Rough_Rock
If I were a juror deciding a lawsuit over something like this, my vote would be that inadvertently striking a solid object while clapping, and (as someone mentioned on the first page) striking the ring against a table and not realizing it, IS normal wear and tear. For a diamond to fall out under such circumstances indicates to me that the ring was not designed and/or manufactured to withstand such normal wear and tear, and therefore, the design and/or manufacturing is faulty, regardless of what the manufacturer claims. To me, faulty design and/or manufacture includes an inability to withstand normal wear and tear. Hope the manufacturer does the right thing and honors its warranty.

And if it's impossible to design/manufacturer a ring to withstand wear and tear, then don't promise a guarantee in the first place.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/28/2004 10:22:22 AM Niessing wrote:

You don't need to sell or buy 'fake' tension rings... They are not so nice (excuse me). The original design invented by Niessing in 1979 and brought to the market in 1981 is still looking better...

Niessing----------------

I doubt the original design is looking better if the diamond in the setting is missing. That does tend to detract from the piece, no?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/28/2004 4:18:11 PM Jolie wrote:

If I were a juror deciding a lawsuit over something like this, my vote would be that inadvertently striking a solid object while clapping, and (as someone mentioned on the first page) striking the ring against a table and not realizing it, IS normal wear and tear. For a diamond to fall out under such circumstances indicates to me that the ring was not designed and/or manufactured to withstand such normal wear and tear, and therefore, the design and/or manufacturing is faulty, regardless of what the manufacturer claims. To me, faulty design and/or manufacture includes an inability to withstand normal wear and tear. ----------------

You beat me to this thought. I cannot think of any woman wearing a ring who hasn't inadvertently whacked her hand against a counter/door/whatever at some point. I probably do it more than most, being a great big klutz that I am.

Setting the ring down on the road and running a Sherman tank over it would not qualify as normal wear and tear. Chewing it up with the garbage disposal wouldn't be normal wear and tear. But simply wearing it and suffering a slight knock IS normal wear and tear, and the design should either be able to withstand it or it should be explicitly explained to the customer what defines "normal wear and tear" for a ring that can't withstand it.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/28/2004 2:14:10 PM elmo wrote:

----------------
On 7/28/2004 12:06:52 PM fire&ice wrote:

----------------

On 7/28/2004 10:41:40 AM elmo wrote:

I don't so quickly dismiss Niessing's position on the issue of hand clapping, ----------------

In all my years of wearing my prong set rings, I have never had a problem & I've been clapping all my life.

Geez, Mara even wears her prong set ring to kickbox for pete's sake.

----------------

My understanding of their response is not that handclapping itself could be at fault, but that inadvertently striking a solid object while handclapping was possible. I don't see where this scenario, even if unlikely, is unique to tension rings.----------------

And, I disagree. But, it seems unique to this *particular* ring. A setting can expect normal wear and tear. Of which, clapping two rings together. That's not a force. For that matter, when I place my ring down hard to slap my desk should jar it. Nope, never.

This one burns my buns. And, I have nothing against tension settings - just in the matter of this one.

Niessing

Rough_Rock
Hello,

it's good to see, that emotions are rising lower. Thank's to all of you.

We wanted to express and make clear that Niessing is always trying to find a good solution in a pragmatical way. It is always a difficulty to behave in the field of emotions and ratio. We are trying hard on that.

One last comment to "handclapping": If you read our first announcement carefully you will see, that this was just a guess. We have made the experience that handclapping has damaged rings in a strong way. But of course Niessing can never actually tell what has happended, this can only be done by the owners of our pieces.

Sincerely,

Niessing

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
I tell my customers when they request a tension set is to insure the diamond. Let the insurance company worry your wife is outback chopping wood with it on.

People dont understand what a ring goes through even when you are not aware of it. Im not a big fan of tension sets. Ive seen them stay Ive seen them fall out. What do you think when its just held in there the way it is ? Get mad at who sold it to you and what promises they made and hope they are in writing. The manufacturer does the best they can with this type of design. But there is no rule that even a prong set diamond will stay in. It was not the hand clapping that was the last straw on damage done to it before. She had to have knocked it a few times before the Movie. I had a lady come in with her ring all bent up and said "I didnt do anything to it" !
You abused your ring. Face it.

Go ahead and lawyer up. The lawyer will get all the money and you will get a free coupon for Cryola Crayons.

You have to prove it was the Jewelers fault and not your own. Thats hard to do if not impossible the ring has been out of the jewelers site for days. If you didnt have insurance on the ring you should be sueing yourself. I didnt read through all of the posts its my view from the first one posted.

Im just telling you like it is.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Niessing,

You should replace the diamond. Stand by your product!

You're misleading the public into thinking your rings can be worn daily if someone cannot even clap their hands...

Besides, she did not clap - as you can see in the above post. I have a feeling that nothing outside of 'normal' was done.

I was recently in the Niessing store in The Beverly Center in Los Angeles. My fiance liked some of your rings - you posts have completely turned me off to buying a ring from you. Even as a 'fun' ring.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm hoping there is some sort of language barrier because this just keeps getting worse in my book.

I will say never is never.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like the ring was not insured.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG- I just read this....Is this a joke? Handclapping damages a setting?...well, if that's the case, you should be ashamed of yourself for selling a setting that can be damaged by the slightest hand gesture which IS TO BE EXPECTED....

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If it's so easy to damage the ring and lose the stone just by daily activities like clapping at the theater, then the manufacturer shouldn't offer a guarantee. If they do offer a guarantee, they should honor it.

As a previous poster said, offering a guarantee misleads the potential customer into thinking the setting is safe, whereas everything the manufacturer has posted here makes it clear that it's not safe.

Yes, they should have had insurance. But they have told us that insurance wasn't available in their country. And they probably thought they didn't need it because the manufacturer offered a guarantee.

After reading this thread, I would not buy a tension ring from Niessing.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Me neither...that is absurd. The ring that is designed to be worn on the HAND...right? Not carried around on a little satin pillow all day so no wind blows on it. Again, I know that no one here knows what caused the stone to fall out...but it's almost funny that that is a reason that Niessing believes could cause the problem...

p.s.: I'm so sorry that you lost your stone....
sad.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Most guarantees are not worth the paper they are written on. They have so many loupe holes. How can you put a quarantee on a ring that gets abused everyday ?

Here is the fact. Nobody knows what that ring hit got knocked into since she walked out of that store. If you blam it on clapping then it would have come out sooner on everday wear if that was the case.

Again I dont know what the Jeweler promised them. Anybody that promotes a guarantee is silly. What would have happened if she would have lost the whole ring is that his fault also ?

Bottom line is we dont know what the ring has been through ?
They can say nothing till they are blue in the face, but they can not prove it.

I tell people to stay away from tension sets and get things insured thats the best guarantee!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like people here have a grave misconception on the limits of durabilty a ring possess. A diamond just does not fall out. Something had to have knocked it loose, more so on a tension set.

Anyway not my problem, just trying to explain more on a jewelers side.

People with limited experance on manufacturing of rings should keep their comments to what they know.

FYI ~ Just because you post on here does not mean your an expert in the field. Just means you have a view.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/29/2004 10:37:56 AM Iceman wrote:

It sounds like people here have a grave misconception on the limits of durabilty a ring possess. A diamond just does not fall out. Something had to have knocked it loose, more so on a tension set.

Anyway not my problem, just trying to explain more on a jewelers side.

People with limited experance on manufacturing of rings should keep their comments to what they know.

FYI ~ Just because you post on here does not mean your an expert in the field. Just means you have a view. ----------------

Give me a break. We are expert consumers. We know what everyday wear is. We know what we hear from "jewelers". We don't sell jewelry. We wear it. We don't sell. We hear what we are told.

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Then you understand .

Please one of you expert consumers came in my store and showed me a busted up herringbone bracelet and said that they didnt do anything to it.

There is more to the story. As a consumer you know this. And Yes you are no expert. Your # of posts dont make you one, live with it.

reena

Ideal_Rock
wow, why so hostile?
6.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/29/2004 11:03:03 AM reena wrote:

wow, why so hostile?
6.gif
----------------

Because we want to hold someone accountable when in fact, of course, it's the consumer who is to blame. And, aren't we foolish to believe that the owner of the Nies ring doesn't recall anything out of the ordinary to jar the diamond. Especially, since the "form" letter didn't indicate trama to the setting.

But, silly me. I don't know what I'm talking about.

reena

Ideal_Rock
(My comment was directed to Iceman.)

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
No one is harder on jewelry as I am
errrr.gif
, I also own a bar. Our bartop is hard tile. You can imagine how many times I have slammed a beer on that hard bar, and yes I have banged the hell out of my rings. I have a pinky tension sapphire ring that I wear ALL the time. Well, after 3 years of slamming beers, the sapphire is still in its rightful place
21.gif
. But if it were to fall out, then it would be my fault~! I abuse rings! Period~!

I believe if they advertise and guarentee there merchandise, they should stand by there word. And I don't think she is the beer slamming type. It had already lasted as long as she has had it.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/29/2004 10:58:44 AM Iceman wrote:

There is more to the story. As a consumer you know this. And Yes you are no expert. Your # of posts dont make you one, live with it.----------------

I am stunned that a CEO of any company would want to behave publicly this way. I can only guess that you must not care that your antagonism reflects so poorly on you.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/29/2004 11:15:08 AM reena wrote:

(My comment was directed to Iceman.)----------------

I know that.
wink2.gif
9.gif
I was answering why the hostility. Clearly Iceman believes the customer is always wrong.
angryfire.gif

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Hi F&I,

Actually, I do not think Iceman believes the customer is always wrong. What he is saying is, I believe, some PS readers choose to ignore professional opinion from the manufacturer and from a couple of experts in the field (one of which is David Atlas, who was very fair on both sides), and choose to aggressively attack the manufacturer.

Despite the experts view that there are some unavoidable aspects of jewelry manufacture and care, it seems that some "expert consumers" choose to hit out at jewelry companies rather than face up to personal responsibility of taking care of jewelry.

And I do feel that Iceman has a point about certain posters with high post-count who consider themselves knowledgeable enough about jewelry manufacture to make blanket criticisms on the basis of one incident.

It is so easy to assume that the manufacturer must take care of all risks,and take no responsibility for one's own behaviour. If you must find someone to take care of the risks when you wear your jewelry, I suggest that you insure your jewelry. The onus of doing this is on the jewelry wearer/owner, not the manufacturer.

No jewelry manufacturer can give warranty against ALL risks including wear and tear. That would be prohibitively expensive, and the costs will be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices.

Using personal attacks to try to gain the upper hand is counter-productive.

My 2 cent's worth.

Stephen Tan
Charlotte Atelier

----------------
On 7/29/2004 11:40:36 AM fire&ice wrote:

----------------

I know that.
wink2.gif
9.gif
I was answering why the hostility. Clearly Iceman believes the customer is always wrong.
angryfire.gif

----------------

reena

Ideal_Rock
good, just making sure.
9.gif
i'm definitely on your side on this one. and i second aljdewey's thought: can't believe that a CEO would speak that way, on this forum of all places.

it's one thing to express your opinion; it's quite another to do it in such an agressive and insulting manner.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results