shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost my engagement ring

Bebe_tc

Rough_Rock
:(( Last week I don't know how but i lost my engagement ring I am devastated because it was my dear baby, it was insured by jewelers mutual, it was appraised at a $1800 I did my claim and so I am trying to see if I can recreate the same ring or to pay more and get something different, any suggestion on a good jeweler ;( here is picture of my baby img_0508.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bebe -

Commiserations on losing your e-ring; I'm sure a lot of people here have been in your position of losing a piece of jewelry they loved. I'm definitely in that camp - having washed my diamond studs down the sink!

Can you give us the specs on your ring? If we know where you started, we'll know what to look for to get you something as good or better.

Try to see this as a fun journey; it might not be your original ring, but you're going to get something great!

Bebe_tc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying I am lost i just don't know where to start since I am new to this it happened last week, is insured by jewelers mutual and like I say I did the claim already my lost ring was .042 SI2 H color, I would go back to the same jewelers but since my fiancee is taking care of this he said we should look different jewelers I don't care really I just really want my beloved ring thats why im looking for advice. We look diamonds thru blue nile and James Allen and the prices are a bit high he has a budget of $700+ whatever the insurance, my fiancee is willing to pay a bit more for a better diamond.

Bebe_tc

Rough_Rock
it is such beautiful ring omg gorgeous but that is I think the budget that my fiancee has.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bebe -

First things first - are you looking for a yellow gold setting? Are you happy with a solitaire? Or would you like a little more bling? You can DEFINITELY get a bigger, beautiful, cleaner stone than what was in your previous ring and still stay in your budget. Expensive settings, however, chew through budgets, so if you're happy with a yellow gold, solitaire setting, you'll be able to get maximum blingage in your center stone.

So - yellow gold, white gold, or platinum? Keep in mind, platinum is always the most expensive for settings. So if you're happy to go with yellow gold, you'll save money on that, right off the bat. Also - have you chosen your wedding rings? If so - or if you know what you're planning to have - can you share that here pls? It will help us find you something that will match.

By the way, I buy most of my diamonds through Blue Nile, and I ALWAYS recommend them for someone on a budget. I've bought dozens and dozens of stones through them, and have been always happy with the service and the product. HOWEVER - Blue Nile only works if you know how to read diamond certificates so you know for sure what you're getting. That's where we come in. We can help you navigate your way and find a beautiful diamond for your budget.

For you, I'll be looking specifically in Blue Nile. This will be your e-ring - so I won't be looking on the second hand market. And I'll steer away from brand name cuts to get you maximum bang for your buck.

But for now, fill us in - yellow gold? Solitaire? Wedding band?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I'm waiting for you to get back to me on this...I'm assuming you're in the US, correct?

So - here's one I found which should be terrific. It's an F SI1 (so - cleaner and whiter than your original stone), it has EXCELLENT stats, meaning it should sparkle very nicely, and it's much bigger than your last stone - .62ct instead of .42ct. it would look much bigger on your finger.

Its stock number is LD07109056.

To find this stone on Blue Nile, go to www.Bluenile.com

In the top right corner of that page you'll see a white box with the word 'Search' in it. Cut and paste the stock number above, and hit enter. It will take you to the diamond. Wire price for this stone is $1822.25. I would put it in *this* setting:

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-solitiare-ring-18k-yellow-gold_44709?elem=img&track=product

This band is a little slimmer than your original ring and will make the stone look bigger and somewhat more elegant on your hand. Total price - $2512.25 - which I think is right on your budget, yes? $1800 plus $700?

However, if you want to keep the price down, you can go with something more similar to your original setting, which would drop the price down to $2142.25. That would be *this* setting:

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/classic-six-prong-ring-18k-yellow-gold_9?elem=img&track=product

Or *this* setting - which would make your price $2172.25 (out of this setting and the one above, I far prefer this one):

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/low-dome-comfort-fit-solitaire-18k-yellow-gold-2mm_49886?track=SimilarSettings&elem=img

So - how we doing so far? Do you see anything that takes your fancy? Do you need to revise your budget? Do you want to go in a different direction? Let me know, and we'll keep looking! I do think the first stone/ring combo would be beautiful, though, and elegant and eye catching.

But what do YOU think?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I put the stone and the second setting together on BN and came with with *this*. It's a good compilation of price and various details, so I thought I'd post it for you. The picture isn't a photo, obviously, just a mock up of how it would look. But I always think those pictures that BN offers are helpful in getting a sense of proportion. Also - keep in mind - that $2200 total does NOT include the discount you get when you wire the money, which would save you another $28 dollars. So you can remove $28 from the $2200 total.

Also, sometimes BN has sales, and sometimes you can find discount vouchers or something similar online. This can save you another hundred bucks.

bn_ring_a.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here is the combo with the setting I like which I think would be more flattering for a stone of this size. Again - remove $28 from the total price, and definitely try to hunt down a discount voucher or a sale.

NB See how this setting makes the stone look larger?

bn_ring_2_a.jpg

Bebe_tc

Rough_Rock
Hi Mrs-blop thank you so much for the help I have not look for wedding bangs I am looking for yellow setting, a solitary pretty much what i had previously, I really like the first option is pretty similar to what I have, now how about .70 do you think I can find something similar and Im in the United States.

is this a good one LD07394631or this one LD07349435.

Bebe_tc

Rough_Rock
I did spoke with somebody from the LA diamond district but the price was way over my budget and I think over price this is the info that that particular jeweler send me he was recommended from one of my good friends.

H SI2
Very good to excellent cut and finish
GIA CERTIFIED
$2700

Same specs but I SI2
$2200

14k gold solitaire $200

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Bebe :)

Firstly, can you pls clarify for me exactly what your budget is?

Re the diamonds you sent me links to - no re the first one. You can get a better cut than that.

The second diamond, however, looks very promising. it has strong fluorescence though, so you would need to call Blue Nile and ask them to check that the diamond isn't milky or cloudy looking - which is definitely an issue with stones that have strong fluorescence.

Are you looking in the .7ct range? So long as you're prepared to stay with an H color and you don't mind fluorescence, you should be able to do that. I went with an F because (and this is personal taste only) I prefer my diamonds white, and if I'm not having a large diamond, I want it to be icy! I'm also not a fan or fluorescence as I've had a couple of diamonds that were milky because of it.

Regardless of which stone you choose, I still like the petite solitaire engagement ring - which is the first setting to which I linked. If your budget is $2500, however, you'll be over budget.

As for your person in the diamond district...that doesn't sound like a good diamond to me at all. So I'd steer clear. I'd also stay away from SI2 stones; I wouldn't want to have any visible inclusions. And at $200, I'm guessing the setting is flimsy.

Either with the .62 I posted, the .7 you posted, or anything in between, your ring is going to be a lot bigger than the one you had previously, so if this is an issue, you're on the right track. I don't think you'll get any larger unless you start to compromise color, clarity or cut - and I don't think you want to do any of those things.

When do you think you'd be able to purchase your new stone/ring?

Bebe_tc

Rough_Rock
My total budget it $2500 now I do prefer diamonds like you say white icy and prefer to have a pretty stone instead of a big one I am looking for .7 CT on a petite solitary I probably be able to purchase the ring next week.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bebe -

Then I think the way to go is the second stone you linked me to - the .7ct H VS2 on BN, with one of the settings I linked you to. I'm really not fond of the cheapest setting - and I think the first setting (the Petite Solitaire in 18kt) will definitely make your stone look biggest.

That's slightly over budget, so your options are to stretch for the last $300, to get a cheaper setting, or to get a slightly smaller stone, like the first one I linked you to. Personally, I'd stretch, since I get the feeling you're after as much stone as you can get, without compromising the quality of the stone. But a budget is a budget, and if yours is immovable, I'd go with the smaller stone - which is considerably whiter and which also has no fluorescence. This one came in exactly on budget. My last choice would be to go with the cheaper setting, which is the Low Dome Comfort Fit Solitaire in 18kt. It won't make your center stone look as large, but it's still a nice setting.

Here's one more stone you should consider. It's a .65 F SI1. Roughly speaking, the .62 I linked you to was 5.5mm. The .7 you linked to was 5.7mm. This one is right in the middle - roughly 5.6mm. I think you would see NO difference in size between this and the .7 H VS2 you liked. This one has no fluorescence and is a colorless, very white diamond (whiter than the .7 you liked).

Stock number: LD07394453

This combination is $200 over budget, but if you can find a discount voucher, you should be able to bring it in for only $100 over budget. This seems like the best compromise to get everything you want.

When you get your ring, pls come back and show us! And lots of hand shots pls! :love:

PS RetailMeNot.com has $100 off coupons for Blue Nile. Check before proceeding!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bebe_tc|1470429092|4062877 said:
I also found this one https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-good-cut-sku-1852146 do u think is a good choice I think I am going to do the most extensive research thanks you for all of the help any other suggestions please let me know or good offers :)

No. I didn't even look at it because the cut is "Good" -- that's worse than "Very Good"... which is actually BAD. Even with Excellent cut, there are some doozies. ::)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bebe_tc|1470429092|4062877 said:
I also found this one https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.70-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-good-cut-sku-1852146 do u think is a good choice I think I am going to do the most extensive research thanks you for all of the help any other suggestions please let me know or good offers :)

No worries on the research Bebe. I went through the whole Blue Nile inventory of stones in your color, clarity and price range, and I tried all combinations of parameters. I sent you the 2 best I found. Not sure why you're still looking for stones as both of those stones - and the one you found originally (.7 H VS2) - far exceed the stats on your original diamond which you lost. Also, the last one you posted, while a higher ct weight - is cut VERY deep, so faces up smaller than both the .65 I referred you to and the .7ct Blue Nile stone you posted previously which I liked. It's the same size as the .62 I found for you - but the cut is MUCH worse and the color is warmer. So I don't think I really have a handle on what you're looking for. I definitely looked for stones with good spread, but now I'm not sure what your 'must haves' are.

Anyway, very best of luck on what can be a very confusing search. If you narrow down what you're looking for come back and let us know; if you're still in the 'extensive research' phase, I'm guessing you're not sure as yet.

Q

Queenie60

Mrs-Blop, you're so very kind to do all of this research for OP! Have a great weekend. :wavey:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bebe_tc

Just incase you don't know Bebe, once a good stone is highlighted here other surfers snap them up, you should put the two on hold which Mrs Blop has recommended or approved for you or you may find them gone the next time you look. I do understand though that there will be others in this size range which will appear shortly, but just thought I would let you know. Also I know you are looking for size as in weight but face up millimetre size (Mrs Blop calls spread) is what counts in an excellent cut, so as Mrs Blop has told you one of the 0.70 stones you picked is facing up the same size as a 0.62 stone Mrs Blop found so would look the same size but not be as well cut so less sparkle. I would go with the first 0.70 you found as Mrs Blop has said it is okay and it gives you a bit more size.

Bebe_tc

Rough_Rock
I really like the .65 ct hopefully I would be able to make a deal with them, the .62 is not longer in the website but I would be very interested to find another one just like it, i would keep the specifications for reference whenever i make the final decision but as right now the .65 is promising. :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bebe -

The .62ct diamond - the first stone I posted and the cheapest of all of them - IS still available.

Here's its stock number again:

LD07109056

This stone, with the nicest of the 3 settings (the petite Solitaire), comes to $2512.25 in total. If you use a discount voucher, you should be able to get a little extra off that. So it's right on your budget, or a little under. Blue Nile will hold a diamond for a few days, if you decide on one you want, but Pyramid, who posted before, is very right when she says that these diamonds come and go very quickly, especially once they've been highlighted on this thread.

You mentioned wanting to 'do a deal' with Blue Nile. If you mean you want to try to negotiate the price - that will be a non-starter with Blue Nile; they won't negotiate the price of their diamonds or their products.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Queenie -

Thanks for your nice comment - and have a great weekend also! :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bebe, pay attention and do what mrs-blop says. She knows what she's talking about. Just do it and you will get the ring you want.

Q

Queenie60

LLJsmom|1470494695|4063053 said:
Bebe, pay attention and do what mrs-blop says. She knows what she's talking about. Just do it and you will get the ring you want.

Ditto!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1470498126|4063060 said:
LLJsmom|1470494695|4063053 said:

Ditto!

awww shucks - you guys!

appl3

Rough_Rock
Hi, this is an old thread but i realized i lost my engagement ring. we are insured by jewelers mutual. how was the process like? Did they give you the whole appraised value as budget for the replacement ring?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bebe_tc was last seen in Feb. You may not get a response...or you never know who is lurking.
@Bebe_tc

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results