shape
carat
color
clarity

Losing my engagment ring and finding hope.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Everyone, we do not allow fundraising on PS no matter the cause. It's a hard and fast rule we have had for many years because we do not want to be in the position of determining what is "justified" or "worth it" and what isn't. That is not a fair position for us to be in, as we get requests all the time for fundraising for everything from job loss to illness to a child's girl scout or band trip.

Please do not post fundraising links to the website or they will be removed.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1479263605|4099117 said:
Hi Yimmers and HNL. I use Costco as my pharmacy. They are great. But I didn't know that about the UC's and such. I will definitely look into that. The woman at the Costco counter was appalled at the Methotrexate price today.

Thank you for your posts, I will check out the information you have provided!
Methotrexate generic is made by over 35 companies.
Your pharmacy may be able to search their database for the lowest cost one.
I have found a huge difference in price between different generics for the same medication.
One of them the brand name was $3 a pill. The generic they had in stock was $2.00 a pill but another 3-4 generics they could get called were less than 0.50 a pill all for the same medication.
Also the .50 pills were made in the USA were the brand and the expensive generic were made in China.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ella|1479302600|4099241 said:
Everyone, we do not allow fundraising on PS no matter the cause. It's a hard and fast rule we have had for many years because we do not want to be in the position of determining what is "justified" or "worth it" and what isn't. That is not a fair position for us to be in, as we get requests all the time for fundraising for everything from job loss to illness to a child's girl scout or band trip.

Please do not post fundraising links to the website or they will be removed.

I'm sorry Ella. I thought for this very worthy cause it would be allowed. Apologies.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dear Gypsy,
Just another person who wants to say that I'm very sorry to hear about the difficult time you've been having. It must be overwhelming to be dealing with so many problems all at once.
I enjoy reading your posts and have learned so much from you. And I appreciate the fact that you continue to post and help folks, with so much going on in your life right now. Though it may not feel like it now, there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.
Wishing you and your husband all the best, and hoping your situation turns around in the near future.
Hugs!

ringcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Dear Gypsy, I don't post much but have been an avid reader on the PS site for many years now. And I just wanted to say that you are so valued here on PS. When you talk (in your posts), people listen. You have such good advice and so many learn so much from you. I am sincerely sorry for the hand you have been dealt this past 18 months. Please hang in there, times do change, and I will remember you in my prayers. I echo what someone said, you would be invaluable to a PS vendor helping customers pick stones. I do so hope something works out for you along those lines. It would be so great to do something you enjoy too xoxo

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gypsy, I'm so sorry to hear what you and your DH has gone through!!! I hope everything will turn great in near future. Prayers and hugs for you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much everyone for your words of support and encouragement. I do hope things turn around.

I think my husband has lost all hope. And that's really tough. He is usually my rock. And right now, things are really tough for him. I have you guys but he... he's not that social and his family is all back east. So he feels isolated. I feel very helpless with him. So it's very hard.

Karl, I am on it with the Methotrexate today. Will find a solution. Hera A. also sent me links to Canadian Pharmacies. So maybe I can get my meds and Jack's (cat with anxiety disorder) from them.

Ella, I am sorry for any trouble I have caused you with the Go Fund Me.

I applied for a bunch of jobs last night based on your recommendations.

I am also going to see if I can do some resume writing. Someone told me of a site that you can post freelance work? Anyone know what that is? I am happy to do some writing work.

Anything is a help right now, and you all have been wonderful.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry Gypsy. I gave a small contribution to your Go Fund Me account and I hope fellow PS members follow suite. Come on PS family - get in here and help Gypsy and her family!!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to hear this, Gypsy, perhaps your DH needs a day or so to collect himself?

Thoughts: You have an outstanding education. Why not teach. You'd be able to do so for the requisite number of years to receive a full pension and benefits at retirement. You'd have significant time off at holidays and vacation times. The health insurance and other benefits are excellent at most districts. If you taught high school, you would be done with your 'work day' at about 2:15 and during that work day you would have a prep period and lunch period. Yes, there are some helicopter parents but by high school age quite a few have given up and you'd learn to deal with them anyway. Ask the other teachers or your administrator how to handle them, they know.

Another 'perk' to teaching high school is that the students are interesting and funny and so many good things. If I remember correctly, Gypsy, you enjoy reading and let's say you taught English, you'd discuss reading/literature with students who also share your quick intellect, wit and interest. Perhaps you would be interested in the yearbook, the newspaper, and so forth. Teaching a subject you love is a good way to spend a work day. Additionally, there are frequently some quality people teaching alongside you; they are professional and interesting and sometimes well educated too; again, good people to work with.

Generally speaking, the lower you go in grades the more you work and the more you deal with parents.

You'd go get your teaching credential---I got mine in 2 semesters + 1 semester of student teaching. I know you could work something similar with your education. Assuming you have input, choose the school where you do your student teaching carefully, its nice to transition into a full time position there.

Back when I used to interview potential teachers, I would frequently hear this: "I always wanted to teach and as the years passed I finally decided to follow that dream. Went back for my credential and here I am." This short circuits too many questions about where you've been and what you've been doing.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so excited to see how quickly the GFM is growing!!! I'm not 100% what/how their trending works but yay!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Sending you positive thoughts. Sometimes it seems life just slams hard, repeatedly. And then, one day, the sun breaks through the clouds again. Hope your break comes through soon and you feel better.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1479336677|4099462 said:
I am sorry to hear this, Gypsy, perhaps your DH needs a day or so to collect himself?

Thoughts: You have an outstanding education. Why not teach. You'd be able to do so for the requisite number of years to receive a full pension and benefits at retirement. You'd have significant time off at holidays and vacation times. The health insurance and other benefits are excellent at most districts. If you taught high school, you would be done with your 'work day' at about 2:15 and during that work day you would have a prep period and lunch period. Yes, there are some helicopter parents but by high school age quite a few have given up and you'd learn to deal with them anyway. Ask the other teachers or your administrator how to handle them, they know.

Another 'perk' to teaching high school is that the students are interesting and funny and so many good things. If I remember correctly, Gypsy, you enjoy reading and let's say you taught English, you'd discuss reading/literature with students who also share your quick intellect, wit and interest. Perhaps you would be interested in the yearbook, the newspaper, and so forth. Teaching a subject you love is a good way to spend a work day. Additionally, there are frequently some quality people teaching alongside you; they are professional and interesting and sometimes well educated too; again, good people to work with.

Generally speaking, the lower you go in grades the more you work and the more you deal with parents.

You'd go get your teaching credential---I got mine in 2 semesters + 1 semester of student teaching. I know you could work something similar with your education. Assuming you have input, choose the school where you do your student teaching carefully, its nice to transition into a full time position there.

Back when I used to interview potential teachers, I would frequently hear this: "I always wanted to teach and as the years passed I finally decided to follow that dream. Went back for my credential and here I am." This short circuits too many questions about where you've been and what you've been doing.

That is such a great idea AZ!! I can totally see you as an awesome teacher Gypsy! If it is possible, you should consider it!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1479331326|4099426 said:
Thank you so much everyone for your words of support and encouragement. I do hope things turn around.

I think my husband has lost all hope. And that's really tough. He is usually my rock. And right now, things are really tough for him. I have you guys but he... he's not that social and his family is all back east. So he feels isolated. I feel very helpless with him. So it's very hard.

Karl, I am on it with the Methotrexate today. Will find a solution. Hera A. also sent me links to Canadian Pharmacies. So maybe I can get my meds and Jack's (cat with anxiety disorder) from them.

Ella, I am sorry for any trouble I have caused you with the Go Fund Me.

I applied for a bunch of jobs last night based on your recommendations.

I am also going to see if I can do some resume writing. Someone told me of a site that you can post freelance work? Anyone know what that is? I am happy to do some writing work.

Anything is a help right now, and you all have been wonderful.

Oh no, I am sad about your DH. I hope some small positive thing comes his way to help lift him a little, and that he can remember that joy does come back around eventually. Sometimes all we have is to keep that in mind and hang in there until it does.

Fingers crossed for you with the new applications, and with finding better avenues to get your treatment. I'm thinking of you every day!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just thinking about how Gypsy has probably saved me thousands at a time with her advice! lololol...

Lots and lots of hugs and good vibes to Gypsy and Mr. Gypsy! :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1479257902|4099078 said:
1. My current SNRI had a coupon that took my co-pay from 70 down to 4 bucks!
2. On the flip side my Methotrexate was 50 bucks. I didn't get it, I only take it once a week so I am calling the insurance and around to different pharmacies to see if there are any options. 50 bucks for a generic that should be co-payed at 5 bucks!

I'm glad you were able to get your SNRI at such a great discount! :))

I wanted to wait until I was at work so I could check prices on the MTX for you. We order from 4 different wholesalers, so our prices are typically the best around. The least expensive manufacturer I could find was 2.5 mg #100 for $140.00... that is our cost, so it would be more for cash-paying customers (read: non-insurance). I'm not sure of your dosage, but that gives you an idea of the cost. MTX used to be very inexpensive, but it has gotten way more expensive in the last couple of years.

I hope you're able to find it for less than you were quoted.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy I am so sorry for your troubles. You have helped so many on this forum (including me) so I am very happy that we can do something in return. I hope 2017 is brings you health, happiness and a job!

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I have not personally used it, but I have talked to people who have successfully used the prescription discount program thru the drugs dot com website. You can't combine it with insurance, you have to pay the cash price. But it can be low enough that it makes sense to not submit particular drugs to insurance if they are not paying most of the price. I'm not sure of the dose you're on, but you can look up their price estimate using their discount program based on how many tablets you need per month. https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/methotrexate

Over the past 15 years I've done nearly all of the strong immunosuppressive lupus drugs so I know what you're dealing with. My daughter also has an aggressive immune disease and takes these drugs. The lupus dot org website (for the lupus foundation of america) has a section with resources for insurance issues, employment & disability issues, and financial aid help. Perhaps one of the RA websites might also have info? Some of this would be relevant to any autoimmune disease, so I'll put the LFA link here http://www.lupus.org/resources/for-patients-families-and-caregivers

Thinking of you!

darby

Rough_Rock
Gypsy - adding my voice to the chorus of support. I'm brand new to PS but you reached out to help right away - I was amazed at your depth of knowledge and couldn't believe you weren't a member of the trade. It's heartwarming that so many are reaching out to help you as well - you deserve it! Keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers - ((hugs)) Darby :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful posts full of realistic advice and help.

I am feeling a little... fragile... introverted... drained? I don't know. I think I just need more 'me' time than I am getting right now. I will have to do something about that tomorrow.

AZ and LLJs: I will look into teaching. I am trying to see I can do some tutoring right now, actually. I have some signs out. And will be adding more soon. Especially as I am near Davis and am alumni. I wonder what it would take to teach at a community college level? That might be interesting for literature.

I think my preferences (not that they matter at this point) at this moment in time are: Contracts or Jewelry Trade. I am working (with help from Pricescope members) on a resume for Jewelry. There is a place here that was advertising for a position I am going to call tomorrow and see if they have filled or not.

Methotrexate. I was able to find a card, and go off insurance for a $5 savings. Not much, but better than nothing. I take 32 pills a month of the 2.5 mg.

agingparkle, I will definitely check that site out! Thank you! I am so sorry to hear of your and your daughter's Immune Conditions. My mother has Lupus too. ((HUGS)) It is a lot to deal with.

MSOP, thank you for looking that up!

Thank you Rainy and LookingAgain, And telephone and PB, and Lisa. ((HUGE HUGS))

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
Not sure which field you are going to teach in community college. I have a few friends teaching in community colleges. most of them teach business/stat/econ or engineering. From what I heard, a M.S is good enough, a PhD is a bit of over-kill.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
imdoubler|1479446357|4100039 said:
Not sure which field you are going to teach in community college. I have a few friends teaching in community colleges. most of them teach business/stat/econ or engineering. From what I heard, a M.S is good enough, a PhD is a bit of over-kill.

English Composition or Literature with a JD. 8)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, I do not currently have health insurance, and have successfully used this to get a MAJOR discount off my RX: https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/ Lasts for the life of the rx ;lots of pharmacies accept it, etc. Good luck, friend.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1479449440|4100051 said:
Gypsy, I do not currently have health insurance, and have successfully used this to get a MAJOR discount off my RX: https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/ Lasts for the life of the rx ;lots of pharmacies accept it, etc. Good luck, friend.

Thank you honey!!

How are you?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you've been following the stray cat story in the other thread.... there's a very exciting update you will want to read. :Up_to_something:

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock

Hey Gypsy, This part of your post really resonated with me.. I was sorry to read of all stuff you have had to deal with. It really sucks. My husband (who is my rock) had a rough time a few years ago. He suffers from some pretty debilitating chronic pain and has from quite a while and he was really hating his job. He also is not very social.. Our relationship is kind of huge for both of us and his depression was really hard for me and hard on our marriage. He became a very negative person during this time period, and I think the chronic pain often left him feeling very hopeless and helpless. I could empathize with how he felt, but I had never seen him as a negative person before and I didn't think that that was truly who he was. It was getting hard to recognize our marriage. I see relationships, even partnershipslike ours, as always changing.. sometimes balanced, but other times one person shouldering more than the other.. but hopefully not for too long. Anyway, I was able to talk it out with him and it ended up fine. I realize this isn't your experience, I just wanted to say I know how hard this can be. I hope things will look up for you and your husband.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy. Crap. I don't even want to ask how it was lost but I was already losing it when I read he got fired after his last medical situation, and then I saw that and almost had a heart attack thinking for sure someone who saw all the bling out there just snuck on by and snatched it. I really hope 2017 is less of a shit sundae for you.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Community college teaching is hourly and without benefits or retirement until you get out of adjunct status,which is almost impossible as full time benefited faculty are not the business model that community colleges are based on these days. Teaching high school would get you everything you need in the shortest amount of time.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
siamese3|1479482214|4100185 said:

Hey Gypsy, This part of your post really resonated with me.. I was sorry to read of all stuff you have had to deal with. It really sucks. My husband (who is my rock) had a rough time a few years ago. He suffers from some pretty debilitating chronic pain and has from quite a while and he was really hating his job. He also is not very social.. Our relationship is kind of huge for both of us and his depression was really hard for me and hard on our marriage. He became a very negative person during this time period, and I think the chronic pain often left him feeling very hopeless and helpless. I could empathize with how he felt, but I had never seen him as a negative person before and I didn't think that that was truly who he was. It was getting hard to recognize our marriage. I see relationships, even partnerships like ours, as always changing.. sometimes balanced, but other times one person shouldering more than the other.. but hopefully not for too long. Anyway, I was able to talk it out with him and it ended up fine. I realize this isn't your experience, I just wanted to say I know how hard this can be. I hope things will look up for you and your husband.

This, verbatim IS my experience. Our husband's could be twins. My husband has chronic debilitating pain from arthritis in his spine, a spinal fusion and a nerve condition that also causes him a LOT of pain. And the treatments for these have side effects that are difficult for him. He's not very social. And our marriage is central for both us too.

I don't recognize this negative person; it's not my husband. And I am terrified for my marriage.

Your post was like... OMG, I can't explain. Thank you for sharing your story. You have given me A LOT right here. Hope and empathy. I am so grateful. Thank you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
azstone-- great point! Okay. Will definitely consider it. ((HUGS))

Ame-- yeah. Just, yeah. I was just flabbergasted, incredulous .... you name it. He was treated SO poorly and it was so blatant. Thank you for your post!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results