Announcement Looks Like the new addition to HCA

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
psadmin submitted a new blog post

Looks Like the new addition to HCA
hca-ll-announcement-1.png

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited:

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Oops! :wall:

Fixed.

Last edited:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thank you this looks great and I can't wait to use it. Do we have a way to check proportions for heart shaped diamonds? Thanks for advising. I love hearts and really one but have no idea what to look for in a pendant or earrings.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you this looks great and I can't wait to use it. Do we have a way to check proportions for heart shaped diamonds? Thanks for advising. I love hearts and really one but have no idea what to look for in a pendant or earrings.
Anything but Rounds falls into 'fancy' shapes, which don't (at this moment in time) have a set range of criteria within which one should stay to ensure best measured light performance.

Fancies can be assessed to some degree by using ASETscope images (to understand leakage and cut accuracy) but they usually have to be bought on that mysterious and hard-to-define criterion of 'beauty' :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sadly not yet. But I hope to be able to develop a system to work from actual 3D scans of diamonds as .stl file types.
But even more sadly, it is almost impossible to scan the negative facets on a heart shape - the decollete or Vee indentation.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Anything but Rounds falls into 'fancy' shapes, which don't (at this moment in time) have a set range of criteria within which one should stay to ensure best measured light performance.

Fancies can be assessed to some degree by using ASETscope images (to understand leakage and cut accuracy) but they usually have to be bought on that mysterious and hard-to-define criterion of 'beauty' :)
OK thank you oohshiny looks like I need to a lot of reading and research. And you are right, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love hearts and I really want to get one some day that is truly sparkly.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Sadly not yet. But I hope to be able to develop a system to work from actual 3D scans of diamonds as .stl file types.
But even more sadly, it is almost impossible to scan the negative facets on a heart shape - the decollete or Vee indentation.
Hi Garry that would be incredible!!! Please make it if you can. In the meantime, I will start learning all I can about hearts and welcome any tips.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrates Garry!!!!!!!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Garry that would be incredible!!! Please make it if you can. In the meantime, I will start learning all I can about hearts and welcome any tips.
Here is an AGS digital ASET from a scan showing what I mean. The decollete is missing. There are ways to scan negative cavites but usually limited to about 15 degrees and this needs about 45 degrees.
Capture2.JPG Capture1.JPG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am LOVING this new addition, so much easier
Thx AG, working on fancy shaped diamonds too. It would not be a cut grading system per se - but it would be a fabulous rejection system me thinks!

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry if I'm asking the same question that has been asked a million times before, but would a hearts and arrow symmetry 1.164 carat round diamond with an HCA score of 0.9 be considered a bit dark for a ring? When I punch in the numbers on my Brian Gavin blue it comes up excellent on everything except for spread ( with the spread being listed as very good). On average, would an HCA score of 1.7 (TIC) generally be better for a ring?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry if I'm asking the same question that has been asked a million times before, but would a hearts and arrow symmetry 1.164 carat round diamond with an HCA score of 0.9 be considered a bit dark for a ring? When I punch in the numbers on my Brian Gavin blue it comes up excellent on everything except for spread ( with the spread being listed as very good). On average, would an HCA score of 1.7 (TIC) generally be better for a ring?

Welcome to the forum :)

The HCA tool is a rejection tool rather than a selection tool, so as long as a stone scores under 2 (maybe even mid-2s) it is worthy of consideration, and a given score under is not necessarily better than another score under 2.

The discussion around shallower stones with lower scores comes up quite often - I found some links that are worth a read:

:)

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to the forum :)

The HCA tool is a rejection tool rather than a selection tool, so as long as a stone scores under 2 (maybe even mid-2s) it is worthy of consideration, and a given score under is not necessarily better than another score under 2.

The discussion around shallower stones with lower scores comes up quite often - I found some links that are worth a read:

:)

Thanks so much!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First time seeing this for a ‘looks like’ result, as well as the comment in blue ("Your diamond is not a great candidate"); anyone else see this for an HCA ~3 scoring diamond? :confused:
F8B527AC-9DDB-4C7B-AF01-FD4E07C1662C.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First time seeing this for a ‘looks like’ result, as well as the comment in blue ("Your diamond is not a great candidate"); anyone else see this for an HCA ~3 scoring diamond? :confused:
F8B527AC-9DDB-4C7B-AF01-FD4E07C1662C.jpeg

Is that a MRB? With a 37.5 degree crown?? :o

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that a MRB? With a 37.5 degree crown?? :o

Yes, I stumbled upon it earlier today randomly browsing, and wanted to see what HCA would be on it ... I wish I kept the link to the actual diamond, but those were its specs. Will see if I can find it and if so, post the link.

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Garry H (Cut Nut) Having alternative options ‘right there’ is handy/good, but my questions specifically were the n/a ‘looks like’ result for the diamond I entered and the conflicting ‘suggestions’ that the diamond was toed as ‘not a good candidate’ but also ‘might be worth buying if price is right’. :confused:

mission1

Shiny_Rock
“Your diamond is not a great candidate” is quite subjective to someone that doesn’t know the workings of the HCA, but could perhaps be changed to something like “The diamond falls outside the preferred ranges underpinning this cut advisor”.

There’s also a small typo on your #20 screenshot (should be ‘your convenience’).

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Garry H (Cut Nut) Having alternative options ‘right there’ is handy/good, but my questions specifically were the n/a ‘looks like’ result for the diamond I entered and the conflicting ‘suggestions’ that the diamond was toed as ‘not a good candidate’ but also ‘might be worth buying if price is right’. :confused:
Their are 5 or 6 such messages staged in nastyness :)

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
“Your diamond is not a great candidate” is quite subjective to someone that doesn’t know the workings of the HCA, but could perhaps be changed to something like “The diamond falls outside the preferred ranges underpinning this cut advisor”.

There’s also a small typo on your #20 screenshot (should be ‘your convenience’).

We are constantly working on ways to improve things. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It should be fixed now.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
When I entered a stone it put the crown in at 15 instead of 35 and gave a message that the stone was too deep and prevented a result. I input the values manually and it came out fine. Gia #6331108862. I also tried to input the exact #"s after getting the sarin report. It gives an error message.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hello @Mlh,

For crown and pavilion, you need to put the angles not the %. I just tried it and it gave me a score of 1.5 for your diamond.

Can you explain a little more what you did to get the error and what was the error? A screenshot would be very helpful.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for getting back to me. I put in the gia # only. It filled in the angles and info automatically. But it put 15 in the crown instead of 35. Gave the message that the stone was too deep or information was incorrect. I removed the gia # and manually input the stone info from the gia report. That gave a 1.5 result. I am out of hca tries so can't give a screen shot. Can I put in the actual numbers in the hca. They differ from the gia report which is rounded?

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
It appears the info we got is incorrect for that GIA. I will need to look into this more carefully. Thanks for getting back to ma about this.

if the info is incorrect your HCA tries should not expire.

Here is your correct HCA info:

gia-6331108862.png

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
It appears the info we got is incorrect for that GIA. I will need to look into this more carefully. Thanks for getting back to ma about this.

gia-6331108862.png

Thank you!!

TheLady

Shiny_Rock

gia-6331108862.png

I have had this exact same thing happen multiple times when entering just the GIA number.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results