clarity

Looking to purchase 2-3ct OEC

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond is absolutely beautiful!!

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
From what I’ve experienced with David, if you do an exact replica of a current design he’s done (small tweaks don’t seem to be a problem) he may quote $950. He’s quoted me that before on a copy of a design he’d done. I certainly can’t guarantee, just relaying.

And congrats on the stone, I think it looks lovely!

Good to know, thank you! We already went over budget on the stone so any extra helps. I assume the quality of work for David and Mark are on par with each other? I have done some research within Pricescope but nobody directly compares similar vendors (e.g. obviously David vs Singlestone offer different value proposations). David seems to be a popular suggestion on Pricescope which also means his lead time may be longer.

And thank you @Cerulean , @missy , and @Laila619 for the kind words on the stone :)

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The diamond seems very lively. It‘s very pretty. I think Mark’s range is around what DK would be, based on the setting being custom, and including the diamond pave. It might be simpler to keep the stone with the seller and have it made there. Maybe you can eliminate the pave on the shank to reduce cost. Also keep in mind that pave on a shank or hidden halo might eat into other rings if they contact each other.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Good to know, thank you! We already went over budget on the stone so any extra helps. I assume the quality of work for David and Mark are on par with each other? I have done some research within Pricescope but nobody directly compares similar vendors (e.g. obviously David vs Singlestone offer different value proposations). David seems to be a popular suggestion on Pricescope which also means his lead time may be longer.

And thank you @Cerulean , @missy , and @Laila619 for the kind words on the stone :)

Unfortunately can’t help on the comparison basis - but David has been very fast for me - it took a bit under 3 weeks about to finish my engagement ring from start to finish with some CAD tweaks (including shipping time) - but I was working off of a design he’d done already

edit - if you want pave I’d also expect their quotes to be competitive - between shipping your savings will be small id guess - I do think the quote you’ve gotten is very reasonable

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
To clarify, I do not want pave anywhere on the design. The quote for platinum prongs and 18k yellow gold shank was mid-way between $1.5k and $2k. I am leaning towards having Mark just do it, as it feels very very awkward if I were like, "Hey can you walk the stone down the street to David's office....." :lol: But if the price difference is significant, I may consider it. I also want to find out more about the lead time from both first.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Yay congrats on finding your stone, it's beautiful!! I worked with Mark Broumand last year on securing my OEC (2.23MVS1) as well as the setting and can confirm that his work is quite spectacular! I did reach out to David about a quote and I think it was a smidgen cheaper but given that I sourced my stone from Mark it ended up just being easier all around. My other option would have been maybe OWD + DK.

When I asked Mark about his setting price separately if I sourced the diamond from someone else, it was just ~2k (you can see the setting on my profile picture), and while my setting does have some very small melee on the petals, it's mostly gold. Hope this helps!

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
Yay congrats on finding your stone, it's beautiful!! I worked with Mark Broumand last year on securing my OEC (2.23MVS1) as well as the setting and can confirm that his work is quite spectacular! I did reach out to David about a quote and I think it was a smidgen cheaper but given that I sourced my stone from Mark it ended up just being easier all around. My other option would have been maybe OWD + DK.

When I asked Mark about his setting price separately if I sourced the diamond from someone else, it was just ~2k (you can see the setting on my profile picture), and while my setting does have some very small melee on the petals, it's mostly gold. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the helpful input on your comparison and setting! I do think we will go with Mark for the setting. Btw I did review your journey before and your ring turned out so beautiful.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know why there is a drastic price difference between a plain 5mm platinum wedding band from Mark Broumand (or any other similar vendor) and Blue Nile?

Mark’s priced at $1650 - https://www.markbroumand.com/comfort-fit-plain-mens-wedding-band-in-platinum-5.0mm-wb1217/

Blue Nile’s priced at $680 - https://www.bluenile.com/high-dome-wedding-ring-platinum-5-mm_36648

Weight? Brand? There are no measurements but I wonder if Mark's has more height off the finger (making it heavier) or has a slightly higher dome (also making it a bit heavier)

I am shocked by the BN price! It's really affordable!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know why there is a drastic price difference between a plain 5mm platinum wedding band from Mark Broumand (or any other similar vendor) and Blue Nile?

Mark’s priced at $1650 - https://www.markbroumand.com/comfort-fit-plain-mens-wedding-band-in-platinum-5.0mm-wb1217/

Blue Nile’s priced at $680 - https://www.bluenile.com/high-dome-wedding-ring-platinum-5-mm_36648

Regarding this pricing comparison. It could be that Mark’s ring is double the weight, is Mark’s ring comfort fit, that adds weight. Platinum and gold prices are very high right now. It might be that Mark uses a different platinum alloy but I doubt it. No one uses iridium alloys anymore. :( Does Mark hand forge? That could be another reason.

Regarding pricing, I think now that you’ve clarified you don’t want pave, DK’s pricing might come back slightly lower than Mark’s. But it is worth checking. DK has an Instagram account, I’m pretty sure he has done a yellow gold with platinum basket “Tiffany” style design in the past.

Scintillkait

Rough_Rock
Have been following this thread and absolutely love the stone you found! Did Mark source it for you?

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
Weight? Brand? There are no measurements but I wonder if Mark's has more height off the finger (making it heavier) or has a slightly higher dome (also making it a bit heavier)

I am shocked by the BN price! It's really affordable!

Regarding this pricing comparison. It could be that Mark’s ring is double the weight, is Mark’s ring comfort fit, that adds weight. Platinum and gold prices are very high right now. It might be that Mark uses a different platinum alloy but I doubt it. No one uses iridium alloys anymore. :( Does Mark hand forge? That could be another reason.

Regarding pricing, I think now that you’ve clarified you don’t want pave, DK’s pricing might come back slightly lower than Mark’s. But it is worth checking. DK has an Instagram account, I’m pretty sure he has done a yellow gold with platinum basket “Tiffany” style design in the past.

Okay thank you both, I'll clarify on the platinum weight on both rings. We are not in a rush with bands, especially his band, so plenty of time to do research here. I can clarify with Mark if his is hand forged. For such a simple piece, we don't really see any reason to spend more than double even for hand forged.

Yeah I saw multiple past rings on DK's page that I could point to. He still has not responded yet but that's fine. If I don't here back from him by mid next week, I'll proceed with Mark. This ring is something I envision having for the rest of my life so in the long run, a couple hundred is fine with me.

Have been following this thread and absolutely love the stone you found! Did Mark source it for you?

Thank you so much! Yes he did. If you were to embark on a similar journey, I would say definitely do research on what you like and understand a fair price. Trust your opinion and Pricescope users who have no skin in the game other than helping you. Most jewelers have access to the same database of available stones. If you want to DM me using my Loupe Troop contact info (https://loupetroop.com/listings/other/aurora26-ps-contact), I am happy to provide more guidance as well!

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
David Klass got back to me with $1,350, so that's a savings of $400 from Mark. David's lead time is 10 days from when I approve the design. I am planning on discussing further details with Mark on Monday. What do I do..........

Last edited:

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
David Klass got back to me with $1,350, so that's a savings of $400 from Mark. David's lead time is 10 days from when I approve the design. I am planning on discussing further details with Mark on Monday. What do I do..........

I wonder if Mark would be willing to come down in price a little, it might be worth asking? I think your design is fairly simple so I can't see that DK or MB wouldn't be able to execute perfectly. Mark quoted about 2-3 weeks from beginning to end for my ring, and it was delayed only because of the pandemic. So I would say timing will be fairly similar for both.

Edit to say: Pandemic back in May/June when the stores were completely closed. That isn't the case now.

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if Mark would be willing to come down in price a little, it might be worth asking? I think your design is fairly simple so I can't see that DK or MB wouldn't be able to execute perfectly. Mark quoted about 2-3 weeks from beginning to end for my ring, and it was delayed only because of the pandemic. So I would say timing will be fairly similar for both.

Edit to say: Pandemic back in May/June when the stores were completely closed. That isn't the case now.

I asked yesterday, saying that I had not budgeted that much for the setting and also considering that I went overbudget in the stone. He said he’s not able to come down anymore. I guess I may go with David then.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
To clarify, I do not want pave anywhere on the design. The quote for platinum prongs and 18k yellow gold shank was mid-way between $1.5k and $2k. I am leaning towards having Mark just do it, as it feels very very awkward if I were like, "Hey can you walk the stone down the street to David's office....." :lol: But if the price difference is significant, I may consider it. I also want to find out more about the lead time from both first.

Oh I gave my opinion on Davids prices and the quote from Mark thinking it would be pave. In this case I find 1500 still reasonable, but if you have to save you could get it cheaper probably. Just not sure it’s worth the extra hassle.

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
Oh I gave my opinion on Davids prices and the quote from Mark thinking it would be pave. In this case I find 1500 still reasonable, but if you have to save you could get it cheaper probably. Just not sure it’s worth the extra hassle.

The difference is about $400. I do think I will go with David unless Mark has a last minute change of heart about bring his cost down to sub $1500. The hassle would just be shipping it back to David, which I think is worth it for $400. From what I’ve read, the quality of both their work for a setting like this seems to be on par with each other. Please shout if anyone thinks otherwise!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
The difference is about $400. I do think I will go with David unless Mark has a last minute change of heart about bring his cost down to sub $1500. The hassle would just be shipping it back to David, which I think is worth it for $400. From what I’ve read, the quality of both their work for a setting like this seems to be on par with each other. Please shout if anyone thinks otherwise!

I don’t own a ring from either of them. But after studying pricescope and marks Instagram I would say they both look to be on the same level. I do find they both have a bit of a different aestethic. But maybe I’ve just looked at to much close ups of ring settings in the past two months. Is it important to you that the setting looks exactly the same as the MB setting? If not You will probably be very happy with a DK Ring :))

Oh what I’ve noticed a lot of people that get a ring from DK did have to approve CAD drawings. But maybe he only does that for very specialized custom work. That would be something which would veer me to somebody who I can just show the ring and I know he’s made it before in a way I like. Unlike mulling over CAD drawings.

Anyway I’m excited to see the end project (:

Last edited:

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, congratulations!! :kiss2: I absolutely love your diamond and I am so happy for you! It has been so much fun to follow along with your hunt!!

David Klass has very good pricing for custom work in the US. Just FYI - if you were willing to have a bench in China make the ring, it would likely be in the $500-$800 range, however you have to factor in the additional cost and hassle of having the diamond mounted here, and finding a bench jeweler that will do an excellent job even though you didn't buy the diamond or setting from them.

IMO custom benches that use casting should always have you approve a CAD or wax/printed model. Otherwise there is a lot of risk that you don't realize how the inspiration ring will change when made in your stone size or finger size, or that they overlook a small detail in the inspiration ring that's important to you.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would not have a different vendor do the setting for $400. Who is going to insure the stone while it's set? I would do one stop shopping. The hassle is not worth $400.

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
I don’t own a ring from either of them. But after studying pricescope and marks Instagram I would say they both look to be on the same level. I do find they both have a bit of a different aestethic. But maybe I’ve just looked at to much close ups of ring settings in the past two months. Is it important to you that the setting looks exactly the same as the MB setting? If not You will probably be very happy with a DK Ring :))

Oh what I’ve noticed a lot of people that get a ring from DK did have to approve CAD drawings. But maybe he only does that for very specialized custom work. That would be something which would veer me to somebody who I can just show the ring and I know he’s made it before in a way I like. Unlike mulling over CAD drawings.

Anyway I’m excited to see the end project (:

Wow, congratulations!! :kiss2: I absolutely love your diamond and I am so happy for you! It has been so much fun to follow along with your hunt!!

David Klass has very good pricing for custom work in the US. Just FYI - if you were willing to have a bench in China make the ring, it would likely be in the $500-$800 range, however you have to factor in the additional cost and hassle of having the diamond mounted here, and finding a bench jeweler that will do an excellent job even though you didn't buy the diamond or setting from them.

IMO custom benches that use casting should always have you approve a CAD or wax/printed model. Otherwise there is a lot of risk that you don't realize how the inspiration ring will change when made in your stone size or finger size, or that they overlook a small detail in the inspiration ring that's important to you.
I would not have a different vendor do the setting for $400. Who is going to insure the stone while it's set? I would do one stop shopping. The hassle is not worth $400.

David has done multiple rings that have the attributes I am looking for. I am not worried about that. I’m not that picky anyways. From what I’ve seen on Pricescope, it seems like he is very receptive towards making CAD updates and also if god forbid the final product is different in someway, resolving those issues as well. I don’t want the extra hassle of getting a setting from China and then finding a local bench that I trust, but I would be fine with getting the stone from Mark, then shipping back to David. My insurance does not cover loose stones anyways so I am taking a risk during the setting process regardless.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
David has done multiple rings that have the attributes I am looking for. I am not worried about that. I’m not that picky anyways. From what I’ve seen on Pricescope, it seems like he is very receptive towards making CAD updates and also if god forbid the final product is different in someway, resolving those issues as well. I don’t want the extra hassle of getting a setting from China and then finding a local bench that I trust, but I would be fine with getting the stone from Mark, then shipping back to David. My insurance does not cover loose stones anyways so I am taking a risk during the setting process regardless.

I didn't realize insurance won't cover loose stones. I strongly would reconsider shipping the stones back and forth without insurance for a price difference of $400. I understand that it's not small money, but having paid 17k for the diamond, it seems like a very risky venture when the stone will be switching hands so many times!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hi Polyhex, can you tell me which Chinese companies you mean (specific names). I’d like to consider. OP I’m sorry to threadjack.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Polyhex, can you tell me which Chinese companies you mean (specific names). I’d like to consider. OP I’m sorry to threadjack.

CaiMao (on AliExpress under CaiMao and eBay as jewelryhoo) and Diamondmounts (eBay) in Guangzhou. They are two separate companies. You can get their email addresses via eBay messaging (I sent them a photo of my email address and asked them to contact me.) They can do much more intricate and special work than what is stock in their eBay stores, you can see some examples of varying complexity in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...welryhoo-jewelryhoo2-changxingjewelry.261558/

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock

Very reasonable. Very few insurance companies cover loose stones and when they do they have incredibly strict underwriting standards and it's quite hard to get. I would personally consider going with David Klass not just because of the price but because of the volume of experience they have with custom work, and very high satisfaction rate from customers even when they've made a mistake and need to fix it.

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
So to wrap up this thread, DK said it's common for his team to pick up stones from other vendors in DTLA. I contacted Mark as well to explain the situation and he was very gracious about everything. I will be having DK create the setting, modeled after this one from his Instagram 1610402990036.png

maldkelton

Shiny_Rock
The table facets are nice. But the rest looks a bit unorganized and the light return also won’t be crazy. Also I do see the internal graining. Which would be a huge no for me. I would rather have one bigger Inclusion then an inclusion going through bigger parts of the crystal.

I would follow @gemsbyyoram as well. He only gets a stone in every few months, but he takes ASET images from them and I don’t think he would offer anything for sale that isn’t a somewhat special.

Can I ask

Thoughts on this one? I think it has a lot of promise and around $17k.

Im looking for similar specs of an OEC as you, Can I please ask where you found this diamond? Thanks!

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
Can I ask

Im looking for similar specs of an OEC as you, Can I please ask where you found this diamond? Thanks!

I purchased from Mark Broumand in LA but you can find any jeweler that you think will give you a good price on a stone they see on Polygon (suppliers in the trade post all their diamonds here, unfortunately it's trade-only). Jacob K has some similarly spec'd OECs right now - please only purchase a stone with a GIA report attached! https://www.instagram.com/jacobkfinejewelry/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results