shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to purchase 2-3ct OEC

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
This might be a long shot, but @premiergemstones on IG has some really beautiful stones for sale that seem very reasonably priced. He might be worth contacting too. He's a cutter I think and maybe he'd even be able to recut a MRB to an OEC - totally don't know for sure, but I've been tempted to ask.

Good luck!! =)2

Alex Park also works with an amazing diamond cutter, Calvin Yuan of Solstar, who can execute a perfect flowery OEC recut. I went that route when I couldn't find a 5+ carat perfectly cut OEC within my budget. It is not without risk but I was very happy with the outcome.

Cjd_sako on instagram also sometimes has large OECs and might have access to ones he hasn't posted, so worth asking.

Thanks both. What would be the risks that a consumer would take on with recutting a MRB to an OEC? The fact that the cut could be bad, and what else? That does seem very risky though if there's no guarantees from the cutter.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Woah - this is amazing to know - I have an RB that I want recut into an OEC one day - how do I contact Calvin if you don't mind sharing?

He works with the trade so you will need to work through a jeweler, ideally one that doesn't tack on a large surcharge like Alex Park. :) I was really surprised at how little the recut cost. But you could have any jeweler contact him through the company http://www.solstardiamond.com/

Calvin's work:

1608181629151.png

Thanks both. What would be the risks that a consumer would take on with recutting a MRB to an OEC? The fact that the cut could be bad, and what else? That does seem very risky though if there's no guarantees from the cutter.

There is a very very small chance the diamond could break during the recut, and I don't know if there are any companies that will insure the stones during the recut process. So who owns the stones during the recut is an important consideration, you or the vendor.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
He works with the trade so you will need to work through a jeweler, ideally one that doesn't tack on a large surcharge like Alex Park. :) I was really surprised at how little the recut cost. But you could have any jeweler contact him through the company http://www.solstardiamond.com/

Calvin's work:

1608181629151.png

There is a very very small chance the diamond could break during the recut, and I don't know if there are any companies that will insure the stones during the recut process. So who owns the stones during the recut is an important consideration, you or the vendor.

Oh that is STUNNING!!!! I might see if David Klass can finangle down the road...

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oooooh gorgeous! You gotta act REAL fast with Alex tho!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Mmm, those table facets are horrible :sick:. He’s usually so good at weeding out the duds. Pretty setting though.

I am curious, from a learning perspective, what is yuck about it? The center looks a bit dark for sure.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Mmm, those table facets are horrible :sick:. He’s usually so good at weeding out the duds. Pretty setting though.

edit: I see he’s posting for a friend

First video is showing a ton of head obstruction the table is much lighter and more lovely in videos 2 and 3.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I am curious, from a learning perspective, what is yuck about it? The center looks a bit dark for sure.

I'm not an expert, and have always used just my eyes for old cuts - to me, the center of the stone is completely dead (black) no matter what the angle of the camera is going. So to me I wonder if it's a really deep cut or leaky stone. In some videos you might see black flashes due to reflection of the camera or phone off a facet, but I don't think reflection is the case when the darkness is widespread like that

Would you consider similar cuts like OMC or antique cushions if the diamond spoke to you? That could help broaden your options for the range you want.

Have you considered perusing eBay? It's not without its risks and if you're persistent about getting videos or images in different light settings, reviewing return policies, etc you could find something really special at a great deal. Every once in a while I browse eBay and did a quick search for you. I did not vet these for where the item is location (I noticed some were in the UK) or return policies. If you find something and you want opinions, make sure not to directly share the link as there are lurkers here who will snatch the item up right away if the price is right.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

edit: I see he’s posting for a friend

That is because it looks like an Antique Cushion. Those are “pinwheel” style facets under the table. This is a style of antique cut. Pinwheel style facets are typical of Antique Cushions, IMO.

The problem with Pricescope is that most people haven’t seen enough antique cuts to know that these are actual cut styles that are of a period or era. Cut styles were perfected and replicated by specific cutting houses, utilizing specific cutters, in various cities of Europe or the U.S. at certain times. OECs are later cuts than the one linked to.

You can date and even “place” a diamond cut by the style. Cutting was often done within constraints of equipment and the actual shape and size of the diamond crystal.

Scarcity, and Pricescope trend and love for flowery facets under the table and perfect symmetry and light return, and evenly distributed light return from chunky facets, has driven modern cutters to replicate that sought after style of OEC. To the point where most OECs I see being sold loose today I’m convinced are very beautiful, very well done recently cut diamonds. Which are being sold as antique. The modern cutting of antique style diamonds is at the point where they ALL look alike to me. You can see it, they are all alike! There’s a certain vibe to these always available in great quantities OECs and other antique cuts.

Other much more experienced PS people disagree with me, I know. I am not an expert. The book “American Cut” by Al Gilbertson tells the history and origins of the American cutting houses most of whom did first OEC then “Transitional” Style diamonds. There are no resources that I know of which document diamond cut history with photos. And no museum historical collections documenting diamond cut styles anywhere that I know about. Honestly one of the best resources for knowing about antique cuts is by looking at photos of PS collections that are more than eight years old.

Anyway, the value for me of antique cuts is that they are actually antiques and they have historical value. They speak to the artistry of a certain time and place. They do not all have crisp outer facets or flowery facets under the table. That doesn’t make them something less likeable.

PS the setting is part of the reason that ring is so special. Again, art. (But even antique setting styles are being reproduced by excellent artisans today, and being passed off as original antiques, so yeah.)

Last edited:

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Polyhex and @sweetpea&babycorn for explaining to me - video 2 looks so pretty, but now I see what you mean.

Taste is subjective but I personally think it's beautiful and would love to own it if I were in the market for a 2 ct OEC, most old cuts will show head obstruction when the camera or head is viewing the stone super up close. As @LightBright is pointing out, only a tiny fraction of true antiques, and the newly cut ideal OECs, will avoid head obstruction and show the "flower" table facet pattern.

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
I'm not an expert, and have always used just my eyes for old cuts - to me, the center of the stone is completely dead (black) no matter what the angle of the camera is going. So to me I wonder if it's a really deep cut or leaky stone. In some videos you might see black flashes due to reflection of the camera or phone off a facet, but I don't think reflection is the case when the darkness is widespread like that

Would you consider similar cuts like OMC or antique cushions if the diamond spoke to you? That could help broaden your options for the range you want.

Have you considered perusing eBay? It's not without its risks and if you're persistent about getting videos or images in different light settings, reviewing return policies, etc you could find something really special at a great deal. Every once in a while I browse eBay and did a quick search for you. I did not vet these for where the item is location (I noticed some were in the UK) or return policies. If you find something and you want opinions, make sure not to directly share the link as there are lurkers here who will snatch the item up right away if the price is right.

Thank you for taking the time to find these! I will take a look. As mentioned before, I feel like there is a lot of due diligence to be done for purchasing on eBay that I'm not sure I have the time or knowledge to do so right now.

I am not against OMC / antique cushions, but lean heavily towards OECs due to the larger face up to carat ratio compared to the former.

That is because it looks like an Antique Cushion. Those are “pinwheel” style facets under the table. This is a style of antique cut. Pinwheel style facets are typical of Antique Cushions, IMO.

The problem with Pricescope is that most people haven’t seen enough antique cuts to know that these are actual cut styles that are of a period or era. Cut styles were perfected and replicated by specific cutting houses, utilizing specific cutters, in various cities of Europe or the U.S. at certain times. OECs are later cuts than the one linked to.

You can date and even “place” a diamond cut by the style. Cutting was often done within constraints of equipment and the actual shape and size of the diamond crystal.

Scarcity, and Pricescope trend and love for flowery facets under the table and perfect symmetry and light return, and evenly distributed light return from chunky facets, has driven modern cutters to replicate that sought after style of OEC. To the point where most OECs I see being sold loose today I’m convinced are very beautiful, very well done recently cut diamonds. Which are being sold as antique. The modern cutting of antique style diamonds is at the point where they ALL look alike to me. You can see it, they are all alike! There’s a certain vibe to these always available in great quantities OECs and other antique cuts.

Other much more experienced PS people disagree with me, I know. I am not an expert. The book “American Cut” by Al Gilbertson tells the history and origins of the American cutting houses most of whom did first OEC then “Transitional” Style diamonds. There are no resources that I know of which document diamond cut history with photos. And no museum historical collections documenting diamond cut styles anywhere that I know about. Honestly one of the best resources for knowing about antique cuts is by looking at photos of PS collections that are more than eight years old.

Anyway, the value for me of antique cuts is that they are actually antiques and they have historical value. They speak to the artistry of a certain time and place. They do not all have crisp outer facets or flowery facets under the table. That doesn’t make them something less likeable.

PS the setting is part of the reason that ring is so special. Again, art. (But even antique setting styles are being reproduced by excellent artisans today, and being passed off as original antiques, so yeah.)

Really great points and appreciate the knowledge so much. I can't help but feel that I do not appreciate OECs for their "antique" value, just that I think beautiful, flowery, somewhat symmetrical facets just simply look the best to me. I don't think that diminishes how I value OECs (not that you are saying that) but just wanted to share that maybe it is okay to enjoy old cuts (or recuts) for their material beauty, not associated history, or lack thereof.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock

With all due respect, I’m not the one that asked for an explanation. Everything you spoke of, I am already well aware of.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for taking the time to find these! I will take a look. As mentioned before, I feel like there is a lot of due diligence to be done for purchasing on eBay that I'm not sure I have the time or knowledge to do so right now.

I am not against OMC / antique cushions, but lean heavily towards OECs due to the larger face up to carat ratio compared to the former.

Really great points and appreciate the knowledge so much. I can't help but feel that I do not appreciate OECs for their "antique" value, just that I think beautiful, flowery, somewhat symmetrical facets just simply look the best to me. I don't think that diminishes how I value OECs (not that you are saying that) but just wanted to share that maybe it is okay to enjoy old cuts (or recuts) for their material beauty, not associated history, or lack thereof.

Hi, of course. If you want a Pricescope style OEC, there are many out there. My point is that antique cuts do not always conform to Pricescope standards of light return, so people expecting modern “superideal” standards of light return and symmetry from antique cuts, and condemning them if they have imperfections is just missing historical context IMO.

This ideology started years ago, when PSers started evaluating antiques with an eye for stylistic perfection.

Unfortunately, Pricescope became really really particular about antique cut styles, just like they are for MRBs which is all fine. But PSers should know that light return “defects“ in antique cuts are not necessarily defects, they are stylistic choices made by an artist within constraints.

To be honest, you prolly need to go newly cut old style diamond to find one up to PS “requirements” nowadays. There are plenty out there and they are beautiful. Good luck!

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Have you looked at Victor Canera's website? You will see in my other post, I just met him and his diamonds are so nice. I was blown away. I saw a couple of rings yesterday with OECs that were spectacular. I didn't look too closely- but there is a 1.958 OEC on his website now in your budget.

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
Hi, of course. If you want a Pricescope style OEC, there are many out there. My point is that antique cuts do not always conform to Pricescope standards of light return, so people expecting modern “superideal” standards of light return and symmetry from antique cuts, and condemning them if they have imperfections is just missing historical context IMO.

This ideology started years ago, when PSers started evaluating antiques with an eye for stylistic perfection.

Unfortunately, Pricescope became really really particular about antique cut styles, just like they are for MRBs which is all fine. But PSers should know that light return “defects“ in antique cuts are not necessarily defects, they are stylistic choices made by an artist within constraints.

To be honest, you prolly need to go newly cut old style diamond to find one up to PS “requirements” nowadays. There are plenty out there and they are beautiful. Good luck!
Have you looked at Victor Canera's website? You will see in my other post, I just met him and his diamonds are so nice. I was blown away. I saw a couple of rings yesterday with OECs that were spectacular. I didn't look too closely- but there is a 1.958 OEC on his website now in your budget.
I would completely be open to a newly cut stone but they seem to be outside of my budget unfortunately. I am also adamant about 8.5mm+.

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
C0F51176-5F79-4AE9-B501-6BA0AF3E6241.jpeg E06CD6A2-D23E-4A82-B0CA-A2787A45CB88.jpeg CF4B0DF5-40F7-49F1-9DCD-75402E31CA9E.jpeg

This is from a reseller site. I am asking if there is a GIA cert. In the listing, there’s only a private appraiser that deems it to be 2.2ct, 8.4mm, H/VS1, with a large culet. I do like the facets. Thoughts? Does this seem like a transitional cut?

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
C0F51176-5F79-4AE9-B501-6BA0AF3E6241.jpeg E06CD6A2-D23E-4A82-B0CA-A2787A45CB88.jpeg CF4B0DF5-40F7-49F1-9DCD-75402E31CA9E.jpeg

This is from a reseller site. I am asking if there is a GIA cert. In the listing, there’s only a private appraiser that deems it to be 2.2ct, 8.4mm, H/VS1, with a large culet. I do like the facets. Thoughts? Does this seem like a transitional cut?

This is not an Old European Cut. Maybe a transitional but it really leans more to MRB IMO.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

I know you feel iffy about eBay but wanted to throw this out there since it has a make an offer feature. Plus the setting is so pretty.

m1918

Shiny_Rock
Just throwing it out there that Ring Concierge on Instagram just posted two pretty OECs for a flash sale to her story! They go fast.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
lsi2.PNG

nsi2.PNG

Wow how white does that 3.05ct N look?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lsi2.PNG

nsi2.PNG

Wow how white does that 3.05ct N look?

It looks bright and white in this picture. I would also say this is in ideal lighting conditions. How often is a diamond in ideal lighting conditions in the course of 24 hours? Just saying that it can look this beautiful. But does it usually? And also, a person's color preferences do play a significant role.

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
Both are pretty. However yeah as @LLJsmom mentioned, I feel like there’s also a filter on this (her hand looks quite pale and airbrushed). I really do appreciate the shout though!

I have been looking a bit more on eBay, Etsy, 1stdibs, etc. Nothing that checks all my boxes yet, but the hunt is quite fun! I found a well-cut transitional 2.8ct L VS1 that faces up nearly 9mm and super white. Trying to see how low in price they can go.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results