shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to buy Freshwater studs

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Hi all. I posted here quite awhile ago and got some really great advice from the kind people here when purchasing some freshwater freshadama studs from PP. I am again looking for another set of studs (I am a man and am hoping to find a pair - preferably preowned - for a Christmas gift). I have been searching in the past few days the pre-loved subforum, as well as LT and DB, but have not found anything. One of the nice ladies on the pearl subforum recommended PP and the other recommended vendors for Black Friday sales.

My question for all of you is whether anyone might know of someone who is looking to sell a relatively inexpensive set of studs (freshwater or otherwise), and, if not, does anyone know the % off that PP or the other vendors have for Black Friday?

Thank you SOO much in advance for your time and advice!! :D

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
oops, I just saw you already asked her.

What is your price range and what exactly are you looking for?

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for your reply crickett. I am looking for studs. (or maybe a freshwater choker if price is right). Freshwater to keep the price down. Pkkinew recommended going with PP or the other vendors for a black friday deal. If they reduce substantially the price for that sale, I will buy new. But my budget is not great - the recipient is not very knowledgable about jewelry so I don't want to blow tons. new freshadama studs on PP will now run me about $95. Last time I bought the same from them about not even 2 years ago they were $75. I am looking to pay no more than $75, max. And I just prefer a "deal," and have done rather well with preowned in the past. The PP freshadama studs are the only time I've bought new. Thanks so much in advance for your assistance!!!! :D :D

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead of pre-owned, have a look at some of the lovely freshwater button earrings being sold by Pearlescence that are well within your budget. (The exchange rate right now is 1.5263 US dollars to the British pound.)
The great thing about buttons shapes is that you can go larger (there's the wow factor) and they still sit beautifully on the ear. But they have round pearls too if you prefer that.

They ship free, and you'd have them in 2-3 weeks.

http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/index.php/cPath/192_28_138_270

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
pearlsngems|1446092002|3943303 said:
Instead of pre-owned, have a look at some of the lovely freshwater button earrings being sold by Pearlescence that are well within your budget. (The exchange rate right now is 1.5263 US dollars to the British pound.)
The great thing about buttons shapes is that you can go larger (there's the wow factor) and they still sit beautifully on the ear. But they have round pearls too if you prefer that.

They ship free, and you'd have them in 2-3 weeks.

http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/index.php/cPath/192_28_138_270

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. I have looked over the inventory at pearlescence, and have an email into its owner, Wendy. I believe that she has posted under the name pearlescence on PS a good number of times. I am quite happy with their prices. I have emailed Wendy asking if she can help me match a pair of studs with an inexpensive necklace. It appears that I may be able to get both for around $100 US, which would be great. I think for budget reasons, though, I am going to have to have the necklace pearls be of lower quality (it appears A grade). Do you think that will be sufficient? I want the studs to be of higher grade, but the recipient of these is not very into jewelry and is not a perfectionist like me. I just hope that A quality is not too low. Thanks again!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending a message was a great idea. If she has what you need in stock, I'm sure she will help you match things up.

Did you look under the section called "On A Budget?

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
pearlsngems|1446131345|3943394 said:
Sending a message was a great idea. If she has what you need in stock, I'm sure she will help you match things up.

Did you look under the section called "On A Budget?

No. But I will look now. I think that as of now, my plan is to order a freshwater strand (16" - AA) from PP, and maybe order the studs from Pearlesence. I think that the PP necklace is of higher quality for the price than Pearlesence (the below PP necklace is $80 US after the 20% off coupon code - compare to the lower quality pearlescence necklace below it). Thanks again for your help!!

PP (6.5-7.0mm - AA+ quality and knotted silk): https://www.pearlparadise.com/p-100-65-70-mm-white-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

Pearlesence (larger pearls, but lesser quality A+ and the silk is not knotted): http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/192_24_75_81/products_id/3054

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally speaking you don't want the earrings to be smaller than the necklace. They just won't look as good when worn together. Many people even prefer the earrings to be slightly larger than the necklace.

If the budget is the issue, go for button shapes but keep the overall look a bit larger.

I posted a photo of my strand on your other thread. I just took the photo now, so if you want another photo while the necklace is out, just ask.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
pearlsngems|1446134197|3943419 said:
Generally speaking you don't want the earrings to be smaller than the necklace. They just won't look as good when worn together. Many people even prefer the earrings to be slightly larger than the necklace.

If the budget is the issue, go for button shapes but keep the overall look a bit larger.

I posted a photo of my strand on your other thread. I just took the photo now, so if you want another photo while the necklace is out, just ask.

Thanks so much again! I just replied on my other thread. Ok, what you say about not getting smaller for the studs makes sense. I think I will go ahead and therefore order the larger of the above pearlesence studs. They will be slightly larger in diam than the necklace, which I think will look good. I think that I prefer round to button, so I had better just quit being a cheap SOB and get round. Haha. I just am loath to blow too much $, because she had said to me just the other day that "I don't know how I feel about pearls." In my view though, what adult woman should not have such a classic, everyday set of a pearl necklace and studs?!?! I think that I will make a believer out of her once she sees them on!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, let's take a step back. Some people associate pearl strands with older ladies. Maybe she would prefer a more modern look, like a tin cup necklace (a station necklace-- the pearls are spaced out.)

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Aha. I see what you mean about that association. She is in her late 30's, but looks slightly younger than that. I had looked at getting her a pearl "station necklace" for her, but only could find a few on pearlesence, and none on PP. I think they might have a younger vibe. When she had made that comment to me about pearls, I did not know what to make of it. But I want to get her a piece of "Real" jewelry that is within budget, and pearls seemed the best way to do it. Hmmmm. Now I am unsure what to do.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
I just looked at the station necklaces on PP. Very nice, but way out of budget.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Cherokee1979|1446135511|3943436 said:
There is this lavender one on Pearlessence. Purple is actually her fav. color. And she is not allergic to sterling and wears it all of the time. But purple (to me at least) in pearls looks kinda "fake" Hmmm If Pearlessence had a wider variety of colors in their stations I might go that route.

http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/192_24_123/products_id/1943

If going with the lavender though, there is this somewhat matching set of studs on pearlessence:
http://www.pearlescence.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/192_28_140_272/products_id/3490

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you may be onto something! I would go that route personally, given what you said about her favorite colors, silver etc.

Remember, she is the one who will have to wear them, so it's her taste that is critical.

I don't think lavender pearls look fake at all. These are natural colors, you know. One might say they are more nearly real than the white ones, as the white ones are generally bleached to be white.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Ok. What you say makes a good deal of sense. For the both of those in lavender (the station necklace and the studs above) it would come out to $127. Higher in price than I had planned to spend. Do you know if Pearlessence has any sales? I emailed this same question to Wendy with Pearlessence, and I imagine she will get back to me. Or do you know of any of the other trusted PS vendors who might have reasonably priced station necklaces in sterling (to keep the price down)? Thanks!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wendy does not have sales (I asked her once.)

Here is another idea: a pearl pendant instead of a strand.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
That is an idea. But I think going the strand route will be better and easier. And good to know about Wendy having sales.

I just received a text back from my GF after I had asked for her view on pearl strands. She said she likes something to be more versatile and used during the week and weekends, as she feels she does not get dressed up enough to wear a classic strand. But I also asked whether she would like some jewelry in her fav color - purple - she said she would like that.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, there you go.

Jewelry should match one's lifestyle. Otherwise it just sits unused in the jewelry box.

And although I love my white strands, I wear them less often than my other strands.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about contacting PP and having them make a custom tin cup for you? They are super helpful and they created a tin cup for me

here is my tin cup Hisano made
tincup01.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would drop in front, like a pendant or enhancer.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and that lavender station necklace is nearly 18" (not counting the drop). Do you think that would be too long for a super petite woman? I personally like the look of more of a choker, but I am not sure what her thoughts would be on the matter. Thanks!

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ckrikett! Very helpful pic. With that style, can the wearer position the enhancer lower or higher (in order to make the actual width of the necklace different when worn differently)? Idk if that makes any sense. Haha

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can ask Wendy if it can be adjusted to a shorter length. Many necklaces can be.

Here is a lavender FWP station necklace being sold on Etsy for $65 with free shipping.

"A classic pearl necklace crafted from 14K gold-filled wire and chain, and fine, natural, lavender freshwater pearls. This romantic necklace is finished with a 14K gold-filled filigree clasp. 17 Pearls are 6 x 8 mm and have a rich, lavender luster. Total length of necklace is 17 inches."

https://www.etsy.com/listing/81354099/tin-cup-classic-in-lavender-pearls

Gold filled chain is very durable. It's 5% gold by weight.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
pearlsngems|1446138494|3943469 said:
You can ask Wendy if it can be adjusted to a shorter length. Many necklaces can be.

Here is a lavender FWP station necklace being sold on Etsy for $65 with free shipping.

"A classic pearl necklace crafted from 14K gold-filled wire and chain, and fine, natural, lavender freshwater pearls. This romantic necklace is finished with a 14K gold-filled filigree clasp. 17 Pearls are 6 x 8 mm and have a rich, lavender luster. Total length of necklace is 17 inches."

https://www.etsy.com/listing/81354099/tin-cup-classic-in-lavender-pearls

Gold filled chain is very durable. It's 5% gold by weight.

That is very nice. But she informs me that she doesn't wear yellow gold too often, so maybe I would do best to stick with the silver, which she says she wears all the time. Also - do you think the pearl quality of pearlessence would generally be a bit higher than etsy? I really don't know personally, but do kinda like a pearl grade associated with them.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wendy has very nice pearls. And there is no point in getting a metal color that your GF doesn't wear often.

Looking again at Wendy's necklace, the easiest way to shorten it and still keep the drop centered would be to use a pearl shortener in the back. These can be bought inexpensively-- like this one (I just did a quick search; there are other styles.): http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-STERLING-SILVER-BRIGHT-PEARL-SHORTENER-ENHANCER-CLASP-CONNECTOR-1811-/190953324713

And if she wants to wear it longer with some tops, she could use a necklace extender, which are widely available.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results