shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for your experienced opinions on this stone

champagnepowder

Rough_Rock
Hello:

I have been looking at engagement rings for quite a long time and still feel like I don't know anything about all the details of what makes a great diamond.

Here is one stone I am looking at for my girlfriend of almost 10 years (yes, I'm finally going to pop the question ;-)):

This Cushion Cut 2.02 Carat H Color VS2 Clarity has a diamond grading report from GIA

SHAPE: Cushion
CARAT WEIGHT: 2.02
COLOR: H
CLARITY: VS2
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: None
L/W/D (MM): 7.93*7.18*4.84
L/W RATIO: 1.10

DEPTH %: 67.40
GIRDLE: Medium - Thick
TABLE %: 61.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA

This diamond is going for about 15k and I'm wondering if that price seems reasonable for given the above stats. I'm still waiting on the idealscoope and can post that once it's received.
I am looking to put this into a setting that is similar to the Harry Winston 'The One Micropave'. Also, has anyone dealt with ID Jewelery? I have heard some good things here about Yekutiel Davidov but any other opinions are welcome.

Thank you for your time and opinion!

Chris

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey mate - I'm in the trade, and forum rules say I can't comment on individual stones... but in general, to make a decision, you can't go off numbers with cushion cuts (or most other fancy shapes) - there is no consensus on what makes a nice looking cushion, so there are a wide range of variations on facet arrangement/face-up shape/etc. With cushions, it really is a personal choice as to what you'll (she'll) find aesthetically pleasing. PS members will be asking for images to help you with your decision, so if you can get from the vendor that would be very helpful.
Another PS member put up this info a few years ago...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-101-my-experience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/[/URL]
...and while some of the info is debatable, it will give you a good place to start from.
Hope this helps

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can read these too, in addition to Charmy's thread above:

ead this:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-and-looking-for-help-choosing-cushion-cut-diamond-to-oz.205195/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-and-looking-for-help-choosing-cushion-cut-diamond-to-oz.205195/[/URL]

Then this:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/#post-3763444#p3763444']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/#post-3763444#p3763444[/URL]

Here's some information to start you off:
The entire purpose of faceting a diamond is to reflect light.
How well or how poorly a diamond does this determines how beautiful it is.
How well a diamond performs is determined by the angles and cutting. This is why we say cut is king. With fancies though (anything other than a round brilliant), that is a little complicated. But no other factor: not color, not clarity has as much of an impact on the appearance of a diamond as its cut.

There really is no other way to determine if you have a good cushions is to see images of the stones, and then you need is a way to check actual light performance of your actual stone.

That's what an ASET image does. http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance Please read.
And ASET shows you how and wear your diamond is reflecting light, how well it is going at it, and where you are losing light return That is why you won't see us recommending vendors like Blue Nile, as they do not provide images or ASET images for their diamonds. James Allen and Good Old Gold do this. So do Brian Gavin and Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds.

Or you can get an AGS0 cushions, but those are rare, and usually branded. . GIA does not grade their cushions for performance. Only AGS does. And any lab other than GIA or AGS is not worth considering at all.

15k seems a good price.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ID Jewelery has a very good reputation here. Tell Yekutiel that you are a "pricescoper" and he'll find you a beautifully performing stone.

champagnepowder

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the links. I have read several things on ASET and Idealscope but it is still tough to decipher the images I received. I will attach the images and welcome any opinions. This stone is slightly different than the one above so I have included the info from the GIA.

Shape and Cutting Style ......... Cushion Modified Brilliant
Measurements ................................ 7.81 x 7.08 x 4.79 mm
Carat Weight ......................................................... 2.02 carat
Color Grade .......................................................................... G
Clarity Grade .................................................................... VS2
Polish ...................................................................... Excellent
Symmetry .............................................................. Excellent
Fluorescence ................................................................ None
Comments: Additional clouds are not shown. Pinpoints
are not shown.

Thanks,
Chris

aset_black__fancy_2.jpg

aset_33.jpg

_36271.jpg

officelight_black-02.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A little underwhelming under the table. I'd give it an A-.

champagnepowder

Rough_Rock
Hi Gypsy:

I am looking for a cushion cut (this one happens to be 2.02 carat, G, VS2) that was in the $15k range.
I have read several of your other posts where you include links to good diamonds. Would you mind providing
a couple for me that you would rate an A in this range?

Thank you!
Chris

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I will later this evening. :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

champagnepowder

Rough_Rock
I have two more stones that I am considering and would appreciate any opinions on which might be the best.
I am looking for a cushion that is 1.7-1.9 carat, F or higher, VS2 or higher for $15k or less. If you know of any stones
better than these please include a link so I can check them out.

I am pretty close to making a decision so I appreciate any help!

Stone 1 (1.72, F:VS1, 6.95 x 6.74 x 4.67, polish: excellent, symmetry: excellent, fluorescence: none):

Stone 2 will be below as I can't add additional attachments in this message.

aset_black.jpg

aset_white.jpg

idealscope_11.jpg

officelight_4.jpg

champagnepowder

Rough_Rock
Stone 2 (1.77 E:VS2, 7.50 x 6.77 x 4.54, polish: excellent, symmetry: excellent, fluorescence: none)

Thanks again for the help!

aset_black__fancy_3.jpg

aset_white-02.jpg

idealscope-02.jpg

officelight_5.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results