shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Pink Sapphires

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
I got my local jeweller to contact them and to get more pictures and certification.

Bad news is I showed that photo to her and she did not seem so enthused with the colour. However, she did look favourably at some pale pads so there might be another outlet there at least.

This is so so tricksy, I have no idea how other guys do it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
needyourhelp|1480176931|4102744 said:
I got my local jeweller to contact them and to get more pictures and certification.

Bad news is I showed that photo to her and she did not seem so enthused with the colour. However, she did look favourably at some pale pads so there might be another outlet there at least.

This is so so tricksy, I have no idea how other guys do it.

what didnt she like about the photo?

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
Wants a hint of salmon/orange in that pink.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
needyourhelp|1480178660|4102757 said:
Niel|1480178264|4102754 said:
i expect this to be $$$ but

https://www.cushiongem.com/sapphire/uizd14nxixtb3lu8d762o9ycx7bg9t

its a tad cushiony but if you said youd pay for them to recut it to a more precision cut round, i wonder if they would do it.

(theres a video)

Might be too lavender/purple. Thanks though. Gives me the idea of asking for a recut? That is possible from some jewellers?

not the best idea no, but it is an option.

with that in mind, id contact Jeff white and Peter Toracca and see if they have any rought they could cut for you.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bummer about the Pala stone not being the right hue - these pale pink colors can be tricky because we're pretty sensitive to small changes. Blues are simple by comparison :)

If we're talking about the possibility of a recut (certain lapidaries will do it, some won't or only recut those that they sell - its a niche market for sure), how about this:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-60243-cushion-pink-sapphire-p3030/

I like the color, but the cut is a mess and it isnt exactly cheap. It might be big enough since a precision recut will loose a lot. For sure talk with someone who specializes in recuts to get some guidance.

ETA: This one isn't quite as big, but a bit cheaper and also has a touch more salmon.
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-63705-oval-pink-sapphire-p3210/

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For the sake of leaving no stone unturned, this might be a longshot.. but do you like the color on this?
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphirepinkoval4_06ct_1744-2/

yes, its an oval and marked as on-hold. But its been on hold for a while according to the waybac machine. It wouldn't hurt to ask about to see if thats still the case, and if not, would he be willing to recut it to a round (and what would be leftover..). You might also inquire if he has any other stones in your color range that might be suitable.

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
I have contacted some of them, thank you for the help.

JupiterGem is not on the preferred vendor list, are they ok?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
needyourhelp|1480188773|4102789 said:

i think they are just unknown. i dont think anyone has had an experience with them so saying one way or the other would be difficult. They do how ever seem to be a jeweler with stone that come with certs so as far as that goes id be comfortable inquiring

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1480195691|4102809 said:
needyourhelp|1480188773|4102789 said:

i think they are just unknown. i dont think anyone has had an experience with them so saying one way or the other would be difficult. They do how ever seem to be a jeweler with stone that come with certs so as far as that goes id be comfortable inquiring

I inquired about something they had posted on Ebay at one point, and they were quick to reply and posted a video of the stone on their website, so they seem fairly trustworthy and good. Many of their stones aren't well cut and have huge windows, but they seem legitimate and the pricier stones come with well-trusted certificates, so that's good sign.

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
Appreciate the advice.

NSC says they can recut certain ovals at 80-85 percent retention rate. How good are their cutters especially if the recut is foc?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You wouldn't have to have the recut done my NSC - they might just outsource the work, so it may be hard to say before hand. You probably want to explicitly ask for a precision recut, in which optics are given preference over size/weight. Given the cuts on many stones they sell, I'd be wary of a single opinion..

Have we mentioned Doug Menadue as another route for a recut? I know his work has fans here..
http://www.bespoke-gems.com/lapidary-services-for-the-jewellery-trade.php

Regardless, you'll want to see any stone in hand first to make sure the color is what you want..

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do a recut as a last resort. Fort I would try and find an existing stone or a cutter with rough.

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
I too would be more comfortable with it already being cut round however none available at the moment. I spoke to a few of them and they would have to hunt or resupply within the next month or so but they seem to think that a round at the exact colour and wt might still be very difficult. Ultimately having to go for a recut of their existing or new stock is a popular offer.

NSC says they can precision recut with Kiwon Jang?

Are heated stones looked down on alot?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel like you may be better off finding a stone you love, rather than a stone that you hope you'll love after the recut.

If you are looking to recut a cushion to change the shape into a round, then you may lose a lot of weight. I could be wrong, but I worry you may also see a shift in the colour/saturation. Colour is sometimes distributed unevenly in the stone and you might chop away a more highly coloured region (even if the colour is distibuted evenly a recut will still change the light travel time inside the optical medium and this may result in a shift).

If you really cant find anything you like, then a re-cutt may be the best option. But I am not convinced you have exhausted your other options yet.

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
True, the search hasn't been long. I'll keep looking for now.

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
Ah yes, the morganite/salmon pad colour in round sapphire is the dream combo i'm looking for. Sometimes slight variations I show her are acceptable too.

Currently looking at a few options for round sapphire or oval sapphire for recut. Gem hunts also going on at the same time.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
needyourhelp|1480565483|4103958 said:
Does this mixed cut seem bottom heavy?

https://youtu.be/Dy6rXXXUYsA

I think what you are picking up is that the stone has a flat crown (top side of the gem looks a little shallow to me), this can effect how sparkly it is. But the colour looks lovely to me, so if that is accurate then I still really like it.

needyourhelp

Rough_Rock
Hmm, so the optics for the one I linked on youtube are rather flawed then?

Maybe just a bit more saturated but it is also smaller than the ideal carat size.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well if it does actually have a flat crown, then probably "higher ct. weight" was traded off against "more desirable cut with better optical performance". And someone decided that many buyers only look at the ct. weight -- instead of other parameters such as the face up size, and cut.

If everyone echos the sentiment "but it is also smaller than the ideal carat size.", then the market pressure is obviously going to be to compromise the cut for a higher yield. I guess I am saying be careful what you wish for :naughty: !

Having said that I like the stone you linked -- it looks sparkly to me, and they say coloured stones should be judged less on numbers (unlike diamonds) and more on visual appeal -- and when I opened the video I thought Oooo pretty. So contrary to what it sounds like, I am not trying to discourage you. I just like to appreciate how I arrived at a decision and why -- that means I weigh up both positives and negatives.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
needyourhelp|1480584418|4103998 said:
Hmm, so the optics for the one I linked on youtube are rather flawed then?

Maybe just a bit more saturated but it is also smaller than the ideal carat size.

Well this one I linked you was 2ct which was within what you were looking for
https://www.etsy.com/listing/480788261/rose-pink-sapphire-round-concave-cut-gem?ref=shop_home_active_23

I still suggest you ask them for a picture of it on the hand in natural lighting. That costs you nothing it will be a better representation of the color.

To the video from Jupiter gems. Also ask them for a video on the hand in diffused natural lighting

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results