shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for minimalistic setting for ~0.5ct Cushion cut

matzerang

Rough_Rock
hey :)

I'm looking for an engagement ring to propose to my girlfriend next year.
She has ring size 4.5 and does not want a diamond that is much bigger than 0.5-0.6 carat.
First, she was really into pricess cut diamonds. However, we recently saw rings with cushion cut diamonds and she absolutely fell in love.

I figured that the H&A diamonds from BGD would be an ideal place to start.
Because the ring will be in platinum, the color of the diamond should be at least G.

This stone looks about right:
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../0.540-e-si1-cushion-diamond-ags-104065050008

However, I also wouldn't mind to buy a stone with about 0.6-0.7 ct.

Can you guys maybe help me with a proper setting for diamonds like this?
Maybe someone even finds a better stone for a stone budget of about 2000 USD.

The setting should be in platinum and as minimalistic and "flat" as possible, like the one I attached.

Thank you so much for your help, I'm looking forward to your ideas :)

Cheers,
Matze

40547601_2143848639190882_8783002558890246144_o.jpg

Last edited:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you picked the best Brian Gavin in your budget.

If this is the style of cushion cut you like then possibly like these but they are not the hearts and arrow BGD will give you

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...ut/0.70-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-4278162

Different type of cut, modified brilliant cushion

https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

I like the slight elongated look on these two but that is completely a personal preference

If you don’t mind going warmer in color and an antique cut then check out these AVC, there are a couple within price range

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...vs1-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-74214500

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Brian Gavin solitaires, so if your girlfriend likes those, I would pair it with:
The minnie is a bit of a spin on a classic solitaire:
minnie.JPG
See if the Jasmine could accommodate a cushion- nice feminine subtle details:
Jasmine.JPG
The Legera seems exactly what you're looking for:
legara.JPG
A twist on a classic (pun intended) to set the cushion kite set:
la fleur.JPG La fleur2.JPG

matzerang

Rough_Rock
@KKJohnson Thank you so much for your help :)
From all the stones you posted, I think I still like the one from BGD the most. I really love all the sparkling this type of cut does. :) And GF wants a squared diamond, which does not look "too icy". So I'm pretty sure that she will love the H&A cut too.
I don't like the antique or elongated look and I'm really trying to stay within color G, so that one won't see any yellow faint on a platinum ring. The one from BGD seems to look bigger (4.8mm inner dia) compared to a princess cut with the same carat, this is awesome. And its depth is only 60%, so the stone will not be set "too high" above the finger.

@molecule thank you for these recommendations.
I really likethe Legera. Even though I would really prefer if the crown would be designed a little "finer" and one would be able to look "through" the diamond like on the picture I attached above. Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand what I mean.

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could look at Tension Settings if you want super-minimalist :)

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think sticking with BG is a good call :dance: yay! Now on to the hard part and picking a setting :lol:

matzerang

Rough_Rock
Awesome! :)
Would you mind uploading 1-2 pictures ?

Cheers

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KKJohnson Thank you so much for your help :)
From all the stones you posted, I think I still like the one from BGD the most. I really love all the sparkling this type of cut does. :) And GF wants a squared diamond, which does not look "too icy". So I'm pretty sure that she will love the H&A cut too.
I don't like the antique or elongated look and I'm really trying to stay within color G, so that one won't see any yellow faint on a platinum ring. The one from BGD seems to look bigger (4.8mm inner dia) compared to a princess cut with the same carat, this is awesome. And its depth is only 60%, so the stone will not be set "too high" above the finger.

@molecule thank you for these recommendations.
I really likethe Legera. Even though I would really prefer if the crown would be designed a little "finer" and one would be able to look "through" the diamond like on the picture I attached above. Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand what I mean.

you could ask BGD to customize a ring :)

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I would really prefer if the crown would be designed a little "finer" and one would be able to look "through" the diamond like on the picture I attached above. Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand what I mean.

I think I do understand what you mean, however the slightly thicker base helps support and secure the diamond.

Some other settings (dimend scaasi):
Alli
Alli_Side.JPG
Ava
AVA_SIDE.jpg
Layla
Layla_Side.JPG
Leland
Leland-side.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I would confirm with your girlfriend that she likes tension settings before going that route. I think the classic solitaire with a twist is a good idea, since it will be more traditional.

My absolute favorite from BGD is the Classic Truth setting: https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...lassic-truth-solitaire-18k-white-gold-5369w18

If she's not into the cathedral style, she may like the Truth La Vera: https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/truth-la-vera-18k-white-gold-7176w18

matzerang

Rough_Rock
I finally bought the stone and it is on its way to Germany.

Thank you guys so much for all your help.

I will look for a goldsmith here in Germany who will craft a unique setting based on my ideas. (I did not want to pay 20% tax for the setting too plus I found a really good goldsmith here.)

Cheers
Matze

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally bought the stone and it is on its way to Germany.

Thank you guys so much for all your help.

I will look for a goldsmith here in Germany who will craft a unique setting based on my ideas. (I did not want to pay 20% tax for the setting too plus I found a really good goldsmith here.)

Cheers
Matze
Excellent - please do post pictures if you are happy to! :))

matzerang

Rough_Rock
I spoke to my local goldsmith and he recommended to build me a setting which looks similar to this one:

stoeckl.png

In Platin of course. He would be able to build it in 2-2.5mm
I really like the minimalistic design of the setting and now am thinking about the design of the prongs.

Those "big" prongs do seem to make the diamond look a bit bigger, however I'm afraid that it might look to "chunky"?
Any opinions on this?

Maybe I should ask him to design the prongs like the ones in this picture:
prongs.jpg

Not so easy to "design" a ring... :D
Thank you for your input, I really do appreciate it

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see where you are coming from, but large prongs can make a stone look smaller because the prongs form a larger proportion of the top view!

Claw prongs that come to a point look delicate but should be secure, and allow the stone to be 'centre stage' :)

matzerang

Rough_Rock
Hey ho,

the goldsmith sent me some pictures before the stone will be set. (so the stone will be set a bit lower of course).
When I first saw the pictures, I thought that the prongs are too big. However, the more often I look at the pics, the more I love it. Still trying to figure out if I keep it that way.
I really love the minimalistic look of the ring and how the platinum shines.
I also love that it looks classy, but still a bit different than most rings out there, which fits perfectly to the bride-to-be :).

DSC_2629.JPG
DSC_2630.JPG
DSC_2631.JPG

I'm happy for any input.
Cheers

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@matzerang It is a ring I would expect to see in Europe. There are a few more in the same style here including a French version covered with very fine pave, that obviously is memorable to me.

The one in your picture seems beautifully made - everything symmetrical & polished.

Because of the hefty prongs, this design reminds a beloved piece of iron (not as symmetrical, and certainly not polished!) - this WWW ...

2c

Digressing,
There is one much admired ring around here, with a cushion of about the same size - @rainydaze owns it & it is her avatar picture too.

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs look very sturdy - I quite like the aesthetic, but many on here would prefer slimmed down, 'claw' prongs!

It will ultimately be a decision you should take - you know your intended's taste and lifestyle :)

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on the journey thus far!

There is something very sleek and modern about the setting your jeweler made. Though I may say it leans a bit "modernist" (beauty/form follows function ;)2).

I am not sure of your fiancee's aesthetic, but I personally would prefer a lighter thinner prong. Especially with a smaller center stone, they overwhelm the diamond a bit for me. The result is a more heavy and masculine than I think many women would chose (especially on a size 4 finger).

You of course know her amd her tastes better than we do, but I would just double check to make sure that the ring is what she likes and not what you like :) A general, safe bet would be to go thinner. The bold prongs, while minimalist, are actually more or a statement than something more classic because they stand out fromthe ordinary. If that makes sense.

But either way a beautiful diamond, and I wish you luck!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Posting a link to @OoohShiny 's wife ring as I think her's is a perfect minimalist setting for a <1ct stone.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/crafted-by-infinity-0-67ct-f-vvs2.202616/page-4

I personally think the prongs should be slimmed down a bit.
Very kind of you to refer to it! :)

I don't think it got a great deal of love on here because the prongs were quite chunky rather than delicate claws :lol: but my good lady wanted sturdy and secure, and they don't look that dominant on the finger!

Having the prongs curved away from the pavilion is very useful, though - it enables much easier cleaning :)and the culet just snuggled into the shank means the stone is very secure.

matzerang

Rough_Rock
Received the ring today.
The performance of the diamond is absolutely amazing. I can't stop looking at it!
I also love the design of the ring. :)

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-19 at 13.12.26.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-12-19 at 13.12.42.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-12-19 at 13.12.58.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that setting :love: and even though the video is tiny :lol: it is clear the stone is performing very well :))

Well done!

I hope it receives the response it should ;-) and we will look forward to some pictures on your intended's hand :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Received the ring today.
The performance of the diamond is absolutely amazing. I can't stop looking at it!
I also love the design of the ring. :)

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-19 at 13.12.26.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-12-19 at 13.12.42.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2018-12-19 at 13.12.58.jpeg

Oh it's just lovely!:kiss2: Love the setting and beautiful diamond. Congratulations.:appl:

matzerang

Rough_Rock
I love that setting :love: and even though the video is tiny :lol: it is clear the stone is performing very well :))

Well done!

I hope it receives the response it should ;-) and we will look forward to some pictures on your intended's hand :D

Thank you for your lovely words! :kiss2:

There you go:

Last edited:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the setting, looks sleek and secure, and the tab-like prongs really accentuate the cushion shape of the diamond ... well done!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results