shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for feedback on this diamond please!

NCWonderWoman

Rough_Rock
I am learning so much since I found this forum and I appreciate the education and advice. I am upgrading my ring after 31 years of marriage. I am working with a trusted local jeweler. I fell in love with the setting pictured below and the jeweler is recommending the 3.03 center stone. I have seen the stone in person twice and viewed it in several lighting environments and in comparison to other similar stones. To my eye it is pleasing but from what I have read here there is a lot to consider. I am including the EGL US info (and I now know the issues surrounding EGL vs GIA). If some of the more educated forum members could take a look and let me know if there are any significant issues I should be aware of, look for or inquire about I would appreciate constructive commentary! Thanks in advance.

_5745.jpeg

_1424.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks like an OEC. EGL certs are not uncommon for OECs. I cant read all the numbers. It looks to be a bit shallow and
has a very thin girdle. I would make sure that the girdle is not an issue. It too much of the girdle is very thin then it would
be better if the stone is set in a bezel or an 8+ prong setting to protect it. It looks to be a pretty stone (from the one picture).

Any chance the jeweler will let you take it to an appraiser to find out more about the stone?

NCWonderWoman

Rough_Rock
In full disclosure my budget for the center stone is $25k and this stone is just under that number. So I know in reality my budget rules out many higher graded stones. I looked at numerous options between 2ct-3ct and kept coming back to this stone. I actually picked this stone over a slightly larger round brilliant GIA stone with a better color grade in a "blind" selection. This stone had more fire, which appealed to me.

Thanks!

NCWonderWoman

Rough_Rock
Yes, it is an OEC. I am attaching a better pic of the certificate info. Sorry for the amateur iPhone photos of the stone ☺️. The seller is a local jeweler who is well respected and has worked with my family in the past. They are also making the custom setting similar to what is shown but I am adding small rubies. Sounds like I need to ask them about the girdle and I have made note of such. I really appreciate the advice!

_5754.jpeg

_5755.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt it is a J. But if you've seen it in person and loved it, then that is not relevant.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you in NC? Give me an idea of where. Because I am, too, and it is possible I could help you if we are close by. Tell me the jeweler name if you don't want to name the city.

NCWonderWoman

Rough_Rock
I am in Charlotte, NC and the jeweler is Asaad Malak. Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I am about an hour from you, so it is possible. I am thinking that stone is at least K or L color by GIA standards. I think you can do better. I need to email another PS member who I know has a 3 ct J color GIA excellent cut round she was thinking of selling and I think it was around your price range. GIA J is just going to look better in that setting and aslo the excellent cut is going to make a difference in light perfomance. I'll post again when I hear back from her.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I reached her and she is wanting to sell her diamond, GIA Excellent cut, 3.02 J SI1. I'll let you know when she lists it and then you can go look there. I think this would be a far better deal.

I need to add that you certainly may prefer either a round brilliant or an Old European cut, but I believe that one you were shown is overpriced considering it may be closer to K-L and VS2 in GIA standards. I would be glad to try to go and look at it with you if it comes down to that. I did a quick look and this is my favorite stone close to 3 cts.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/2-92ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-j-vvs1/

It's a little higher than the one you are looking at, but it looks like it may be better cut and is definitely higher in color and clarity. We maybe can find some good K color ones for you to compare, too.

NCWonderWoman

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker, many thanks for your assistance. I do prefer OEC over Round Brillant. I will take a look at your suggestion. I don't mind paying a fair price for a nice stone I just want to be as informed as possible! You've been very helpful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can certainly help you get a great OEC! Many members here have them. I have a newly cut OEC which you can see in my avatar picture. Some people have sent for several stones before choosing one. There are OECs out there that are well cut and gorgeous. There are also plenty that are just okay or even bad! So you may need to see a few to be able to discern which ones are really worth buying. I encourage you not to rush to buy until you have at least seen a couple more options to compare to the one you have seen. Once you explore this a little more, if you are still loving the local stone, I'd be happy to try and meet you to look at it if you want a neutral second opinion from someone who is pretty familiar with OECs and good diamond cut (and pricing).

The one I linked is well cut. I did not see any at Jewels By Grace with the specs you need, but she gets new ones in often.

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/3-01-ct-and-up

Erica of Love Affair Diamonds will get more in, also.

The other main source people here use for antique stones is Old World Diamonds (Adam).

I am going to try to post some threads for you with some old cuts and newly cut antique style stones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I like the choice DS has found for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results