shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for feedback on OMC GIA Report

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

Cutting to the chase (some may have seen me here and there with my various OMC woes), I received a stunning stone and have several days to make a decision on it.

I know antique cuts are not about numbers so not too concerned about how all the numbers are reading, but would appreciate any feedback on the GIA report in regards to anything that might be alarming e.g location of cavities/chips/feathers (Will also circle back to this at the end).
1660875584484.png

Also would you say the dimensions of the stone are a bit "bottom heavy" for the ct weight or just about right?

I don't have too many concerns about light return and performance because to my eyes it's stunning, but if I'm missing anything I should be considering, here are a few pictures for eye candy and for review :) I know eye candy never hurt anyone. I know my final decision will just come down to me working though some personal preferences about warm color stones and overall dimensions of what I want my end product to be.

JPEG image 3.jpeg

JPEG image 5.jpeg

Semi spotlight in the kitchen
JPEG image 7.jpeg

picking up some of the darkness the wood
JPEG image 11.jpeg

obstructed sunlight
JPEG image 14.jpeg

bad quality zoomed photo next to my H, SI1. the color difference is there but because of the higher clarity, it truly does just seems so much clearer in real life. it's interesting that i don't love the tint in photos but in real life, it's beautiful (i know all the PS-ers who pushed me to look at warm antiques are patting themselves on the back right now :D) Also side note, I didn't notice all these dark spots on the diamonds on my halo until i started taking these photos, only noticed maybe 1-2 before. anyone know what that is? we went with a friend's recommendation for someone to make my setting years ago and now i'm probably seeing the results of it... so just bad diamonds or wear and tear??
JPEG image 9.jpeg

I don't think the vendor is a secret at this point from veteran PS-ers and from my previous posts so here is a link to the stone in motion:

Okay so now for my most serious question because I don't deal with loose stones. I was trying to take a picture of the cute puffy crown when I thought I felt my finger catch on the edge of the stone. Is that normal and does that correlate with the GIA report that does seem to show some chips? Should I be concerned? I did have a mini panic attack thinking maybe I had chipped the stone, but honestly there was no way as I had the stone for barely a few hours and was handling it like ticking bomb. I can try and share pictures but it's so hard to do with just my phone.

Attachments

• JPEG image 13.jpeg
    JPEG image 13.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 67

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
The stone looks so pretty! Do you plan to prong set or bezel set? The girdle is probably razor thin. With that plot plan, I would definitely want a setting that would protect the girdle.

In terms of the depth-it like seems pretty standard depth to me for OMCs. This is just from my observation. Hopefully the OMC experts can chime in.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To judge it's light performance upload and post a properly-taken ASET pic.
If your vendor can't provide that I'd find another vendor.

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great - bright movement across the facets and no persistent dark spots or facets that never turn on.
It is super clean through the middle - my SI3 OEC is like that - all the mess is around the edges and it’s clean through the centre. Makes for a mesmerising view up close when it’s sparkly clean - like looking into diamond water.
How are you planning to set it? That girdle is going to need some protection.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This stone is very similarly cut to my OMC, so obviously I love it! :lol: It’s beautiful and I bet so lively IRL - has a more lively table than my stone, I can tell you based on pics

As for the depth, yours is standard and they all tend to face up small unless they are shallow, which in my opinion is not a benefit for any OMC. I have never seen a shallow OMC that made my heart pitter patter - they lose fire and liveliness and look more “watery”. I’d put the loss of visual size out of your mind tbh bc comparing to modern stones is unfair comparison and will only bum you out haha

As for the girdle…this baby needs a lot of prongs or a bezel, or a halo - but soooo many antiques are like this. Even without the inclusions along the edge, razor thin girdles are common and need protection

1660894545729.jpeg

Something like this could work, I know you love VB. Also IMO many antiques really shine in bezels, bc in many instances I’ve seen it increase contrastiness of facets. This is purely anecdotal and prob varies on the stone. I’m about to set mine in a bezel so can maybe report how it impacts the stone since frankly they are so similar!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know my final decision will just come down to me working though some personal preferences about warm color stones
Because of this

If you have a favorite restaurant/bar hangout - think about taking the stone there to view under their lighting.

I don’t know what lighting it is - but there is one place I rarely go that mine turns a puke color and it’s embarrassing when it’s pointed out. Shouldn’t be - but yeah.

I think it’s a lovely stone. :)

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a pretty stone! It really does look like @Cerulean ’s OMC’s little sister lol

You most likely did not chip the stone yourself. There are chips and cavities around the whole stone so your nail probably just got caught in one of those.

If you do decide to keep it, this stone will definitely need a long of prongs (as I know you weren’t thinking to bezel it). Similar to Cerulean’s suggestions above, I would go with at least 10 prongs like this Marielle as I know you want a 3 stone.
9C99B3A0-A801-4CD0-AF80-3CCAA2E2309A.jpeg

As for the dimensions, I think it looks in line with the types of OMCs that you like. With shallow OMCs, they are just not going to have the same faceting to which you seem to be drawn and definitely won’t be as lively. For a little more finger coverage, you can set it east-west.

Most importantly, how are you feeling about it, specifically the color? I would take it into every room in your house, in every lighting and play around with it. Go to all the different facing windows, take it to the bathrooms, the closet, put it again various colored shirts, etc. That’s what I did when I got my N as I had been uncertain about the color as well.

Last edited:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
The stone looks so pretty! Do you plan to prong set or bezel set? The girdle is probably razor thin. With that plot plan, I would definitely want a setting that would protect the girdle.

In terms of the depth-it like seems pretty standard depth to me for OMCs. This is just from my observation. Hopefully the OMC experts can chime in.

Thank you! Yeah I did notice razor thin girdle on the report and then the chip(s?) freaked me out and went back to the report but I'm just not educated enough.

Definitely prong, not bezel, since I had a certain look I was set on from the beginning.

Also, are you patting yourself on the back? Because you should! :lol:

AL12

Shiny_Rock
To judge it's light performance upload and post a properly-taken ASET pic.
If your vendor can't provide that I'd find another vendor.

Thank you for your comment! Sorry if my post was not clear, I think right now light performance is not a major concern for me due to my trust in the vendor's stone selection and based on what my eyes see (of course I'm very much an amateur). I was hoping more for feedback on the other characteristics noted on the GIA report in terms of potential integrity issues with the stone or something way off?

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks great - bright movement across the facets and no persistent dark spots or facets that never turn on.
It is super clean through the middle - my SI3 OEC is like that - all the mess is around the edges and it’s clean through the centre. Makes for a mesmerising view up close when it’s sparkly clean - like looking into diamond water.
How are you planning to set it? That girdle is going to need some protection.

Thanks for feedback. Yes. DIAMOND WATER. My eyes have been opened now and I think this is what I am seeing. Regardless of what I decide, it's a stunning stone and "mesmerizing" would be a good term!

I've always had a certain end goal, @Muluver has been tracking with me for the majority of my journey so it's the VB Marielle she posted. Hoping there's enough prongs based on the potential fragility of the girdle. I wonder if I should have long term concerns especially if I'm pretty sure I'm already noticing some chips present?

AL12

Shiny_Rock
This stone is very similarly cut to my OMC, so obviously I love it! :lol: It’s beautiful and I bet so lively IRL - has a more lively table than my stone, I can tell you based on pics

As for the depth, yours is standard and they all tend to face up small unless they are shallow, which in my opinion is not a benefit for any OMC. I have never seen a shallow OMC that made my heart pitter patter - they lose fire and liveliness and look more “watery”. I’d put the loss of visual size out of your mind tbh bc comparing to modern stones is unfair comparison and will only bum you out haha

As for the girdle…this baby needs a lot of prongs or a bezel, or a halo - but soooo many antiques are like this. Even without the inclusions along the edge, razor thin girdles are common and need protection

1660894545729.jpeg

Something like this could work, I know you love VB. Also IMO many antiques really shine in bezels, bc in many instances I’ve seen it increase contrastiness of facets. This is purely anecdotal and prob varies on the stone. I’m about to set mine in a bezel so can maybe report how it impacts the stone since frankly they are so similar!

Thanks for your experienced feedback! I need to go back and re-read your journey again... but hey that's what the weekend is for! Also so much appreciate your feedback on OMCs facing up small but that shallower OMCs will not perform well. You're right I need to not make an unfair comparison with modern stones, which is what I was doing yesterday. I was wondering if I had size dysmorphia....major first world problems though right? I had been fixating on mm size and made some assumptions of what I would see visually compared to my current e-ring. Again another huge reason to see stones IRL before deciding.

Yes the VB Marielle is my exact goal for the end result of my three stone and hoping it's enough prongs. I did see that you are bezeling your stone, I will be tracking your project for sure. I think it can definitely be a future setting for me, but maybe not at this moment since I have a bezeled pendant and am wanting variety. Can't wait for my weekend reading once the clock hits 5pm over here!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I think your stone is very pretty and also agree the girdle needs protection with either a bezel or lots of prongs.

Thank you for the feedback. Yes it's quite pretty, especially IRL. I think the overwhelming consensus is that the girdle needs major protection. This is exactly why I love PS and would never purchase a stone without feedback from this group.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Because of this

If you have a favorite restaurant/bar hangout - think about taking the stone there to view under their lighting.

I don’t know what lighting it is - but there is one place I rarely go that mine turns a puke color and it’s embarrassing when it’s pointed out. Shouldn’t be - but yeah.

I think it’s a lovely stone. :)

OMG! PUKE COLOR! I am laughing although I know it's not funny. This is great advice. But I'm going to have to carry this box around with me like a chick egg for fear I might lose it. But, yes I have the whole weekend to play around with it, I will have to be intentional about seeing it in a variety of lighting.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Yeah I did notice razor thin girdle on the report and then the chip(s?) freaked me out and went back to the report but I'm just not educated enough.

Definitely prong, not bezel, since I had a certain look I was set on from the beginning.

Also, are you patting yourself on the back? Because you should! :lol:

I’m just happy that you are liking the stone! I went back and looked at the OWD vid-the faceting is just so pretty.

Coming from a colorless modern cut, it’s just so hard to describe the appeal of a warmer old cut. Words and images can only do so much. You really have to see it to get-and now you know what I mean:)

Can’t wait to hear your observations as you play around with her in the next few days!

AL12

Shiny_Rock
It’s a pretty stone! It really does look like @Cerulean ’s OMC’s little sister lol

You most likely did not chip the stone yourself. There are chips and cavities around the whole stone so your nail probably just got caught in one of those.

If you do decide to keep it, this stone will definitely need a long of prongs (as I know you weren’t thinking to bezel it). Similar to Cerulean’s suggestions above, I would go with at least 10 prongs like this Marielle as I know you want a 3 stone.
9C99B3A0-A801-4CD0-AF80-3CCAA2E2309A.jpeg

As for the dimensions, I think it looks in line with the types of OMCs that you like. With shallow OMCs, they are just not going to have the same faceting to which you seem to be drawn and definitely won’t be as lively. For a little more finger coverage, you can set it east-west.

Most importantly, how are you feeling about it, specifically the color? I would take it into every room in your house, in every lighting and play around with it. Go to all the different facing windows, take it to the bathrooms, the closet, put it again various colored shirts, etc. That’s what I did when I got my N as I had been uncertain about the color as well.

Thank you, thank you as always.

I have been placing it E-W on my finger as you mentioned to see if I like it that way. I'll have to play around with this stone a LOT.

I'm getting concerned about the chip I noticed, I should send an email to confirm it was there before versus stressing over it all day.

Noted about minimum 10 prongs, I'll have to look at a bunch of 3 stone/Marielle's that have the 10 prongs and see if it makes any difference to me versus lesser prongs.

The color is just as everyone said, it has its own character and charm... the word romantic I would say is accurate. I don't know anyone personally who owns anything like this (which is actually a positive point for me). The OMC outshines my current stone in almost every way and I love it, but it also confirms that I do love "white bling" as well as I mentioned before. I am wondering if I would change between this stone and my old e-ring based on my mood for what kind of sparkle I am wanting that day? I think if I had a more generous budget and was able to own a variety of stones, this is a no brainer. However since I don't see myself purchasing a stone of this size anytime in the near future, I have a decision to make!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, thank you as always.

I have been placing it E-W on my finger as you mentioned to see if I like it that way. I'll have to play around with this stone a LOT.

I'm getting concerned about the chip I noticed, I should send an email to confirm it was there before versus stressing over it all day.

Noted about minimum 10 prongs, I'll have to look at a bunch of 3 stone/Marielle's that have the 10 prongs and see if it makes any difference to me versus lesser prongs.

The color is just as everyone said, it has its own character and charm... the word romantic I would say is accurate. I don't know anyone personally who owns anything like this (which is actually a positive point for me). The OMC outshines my current stone in almost every way and I love it, but it also confirms that I do love "white bling" as well as I mentioned before. I am wondering if I would change between this stone and my old e-ring based on my mood for what kind of sparkle I am wanting that day? I think if I had a more generous budget and was able to own a variety of stones, this is a no brainer. However since I don't see myself purchasing a stone of this size anytime in the near future, I have a decision to make!

This recent Marielle is east west with 8 prongs. Something like this with 10 prongs would work, I think!
BA2EB1B1-ABE1-4DDE-B11D-6597D21BDDD2.jpeg

Would you have to trade in or sell your current e-ring to purchase this stone or was your intention to always have both? Your current ring and this 3 stone would be substantially different looks to justify keeping both to change it up if your budget allowed for it.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
This recent Marielle is east west with 8 prongs. Something like this with 10 prongs would work, I think!
BA2EB1B1-ABE1-4DDE-B11D-6597D21BDDD2.jpeg

Would you have to trade in or sell your current e-ring to purchase this stone or was your intention to always have both? Your current ring and this 3 stone would be substantially different looks to justify keeping both to change it up if your budget allowed for it.

Thanks for the inspo photo and doing the leg work for me!

I’m nostalgic so never intended to sell my original stone (although I can’t say it hasn’t crossed my mind especially since I had so many concerns about budget when going back to earth mined). Selling it is not completely off the table but not a top option. It doesn’t photograph well or perform well in ALL lighting but when it does sparkle, it still sparks joy haha.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
@Rfisher could you let me know what color your stone is and what color your setting is?

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the inspo photo and doing the leg work for me!

I’m nostalgic so never intended to sell my original stone (although I can’t say it hasn’t crossed my mind especially since I had so many concerns about budget when going back to earth mined). Selling it is not completely off the table but not a top option. It doesn’t photograph well or perform well in ALL lighting but when it does sparkle, it still sparks joy haha.

Great! Then I do think you would totally switch out between the 2 rings depending on your mood!! They are so different that I think you would really enjoy both.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
@Muluver when you compare your J and N OMCs what differences are you seeing in terms of the light it’s reflecting back? Does your J also throw back lots of colors or does that mainly happen with your N… and if it doesn’t is it compensated by sparkle/brilliance albiet less colorful. Husband says he can definitely see the tint in all lighting as I dragged him all around the house and outside (must take comment with grain of salt though since he asks me to match his shoe color to his outfits :D) but says whatever makes me happy.

Also would appreciate any personal feelings/vibes you have when looking at both stones? Possible I need to look at a high color OMC too to make a IRL comparison (like @Cerulean who “threw the K off her finger” ahaha one of my favorite parts of her story).

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Muluver when you compare your J and N OMCs what differences are you seeing in terms of the light it’s reflecting back? Does your J also throw back lots of colors or does that mainly happen with your N… and if it doesn’t is it compensated by sparkle/brilliance albiet less colorful. Husband says he can definitely see the tint in all lighting as I dragged him all around the house and outside (must take comment with grain of salt though since he asks me to match his shoe color to his outfits :D) but says whatever makes me happy.

Also would appreciate any personal feelings/vibes you have when looking at both stones? Possible I need to look at a high color OMC too to make a IRL comparison (like @Cerulean who “threw the K off her finger” ahaha one of my favorite parts of her story).

I just posted an IG story for you. G/H, I and M from top to bottom. The centers in the clusters are a little less than a carat. Hopefully this is will be helpful for color comparison. My phone captures more tint than I see with my naked eye.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Regarding the GIA plot, why is there no key that describes those inclusions on the edge? Agree with the others' observations; it looks lovely and lively.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
Regarding the GIA plot, why is there no key that describes those inclusions on the edge? Agree with the others' observations; it looks lovely and lively.

completely my fault, I cropped it off. not sure why i can't edit my original post? so strange. here it is!

1660937555885.png

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I just posted an IG story for you. G/H, I and M from top to bottom. The centers in the clusters are a little less than a carat. Hopefully this is will be helpful for color comparison. My phone captures more tint than I see with my naked eye.

THANK YOU.

Also you... you are why I am having size dysmorphia aren't you?! :D. Okay sorting through all your massive stones again, your 4ct and 7ct (apologize for rounding down) are both Ms correct. But I've always had issues with dimensions and gauging size (something I learned late in life when always failing with re-arrangement of furniture). My husband has a great eye for dimensions and he says the 1.71 is significantly different than my 1.01 to his eye (but also agrees my halo is throwing everything off for me).

You're right the tint in pictures and IRL is quite different. The warmer stones tend to look more "lively" for sure. Probably because it's throwing back a variety of colors. I probably looked at your video and your other posts so many times right now dissecting it :D

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock

My 2 OMCs are both disco balls and are constantly throwing out fire, this really has to do more with cut and faceting. I think the only difference is that the J throws out slightly smaller fire off of the table facet due to the tiny table (42%). They are both lively, playful and throws back tons of color. As for the color that I see with my eyes, I would say the J is more rainbow and less “romantic” if that makes sense? The J still throws out pastels but I would say the N throws out more romantic pastels. I think this DOES have to do with body tint unlike fire and liveliness. Something about mixing the rainbows with the warmer tint just creates this romantic tone of pastels that I really love!

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
THANK YOU.

Also you... you are why I am having size dysmorphia aren't you?! :D. Okay sorting through all your massive stones again, your 4ct and 7ct (apologize for rounding down) are both Ms correct. But I've always had issues with dimensions and gauging size (something I learned late in life when always failing with re-arrangement of furniture). My husband has a great eye for dimensions and he says the 1.71 is significantly different than my 1.01 to his eye (but also agrees my halo is throwing everything off for me).

You're right the tint in pictures and IRL is quite different. The warmer stones tend to look more "lively" for sure. Probably because it's throwing back a variety of colors. I probably looked at your video and your other posts so many times right now dissecting it :D

Oh noooo-just remember that my 7 ct is a unicorn, never imagined I would own a stone this size dream for me! And, tbh, I love my little pear cluster dearly, too.

The 7 ct is a HRD M. I didn't send it to GIA because I wanted to get it on finger asap. I can't definitively stay what GIA would grade it as-an M/N/OP? I can tell you that the 7 ct shows more tint than the 4 ct. Not sure if it's because of the depth (14% depth difference) or the lack of fluoro.

I am curious-can you make out the faceting of the M with your naked eye? The facet pattern in the G/H cluster center is the one that is harder for me to (could totally be a function of cut versus color, though).

In terms of size, I definitely think the halo is throwing you off! Here's your radiant versus the OMC (I had to put in cushion bc there's no OMC option).

IMG_0938.PNG

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some comparison pics… J (Gisele) on the left and N on the right. They are both beautiful to me and I love them both. They are both quite colorful and the difference in tone is subtle but it’s there (at least to my eyes… maybe I’m just seeing them with rose tinted glasses lol). It’s more obvious in person… hard to capture in a pic.

A810641F-97FA-4E7C-AA8C-DFC2584F1CA3.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results