shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for E-Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MODEVIL

Rough_Rock
I''d like to get something in the range of 1.5-2 ct round J SI1 or 2 diamond. I like the pave halo setting and she likes a really skinny band (I think smaller than 2.5mm). Can someone point me to a good site that has this? My budget is 14k max.

Thanks

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
WF, GoG and JA each have options for you to consider, one of which is this one. Consider using the search by cut db above, under prices, to help you find these. I think each have settings that will provide what you want, too, but others may cipher that better than I for you. Frankly, going on line this way, you should be able to leave money on the table...in which case you could also consider either raising your color, or clarity...or just saving a bit for other good purposes.

Welcome to Pricescope!

MODEVIL

Rough_Rock
The problem I''m having is finding the skinny band (in the pave halo setting) she likes online. James Allen has something pretty close but the band is not as skinny as she wants. Do any of these sites make the setting to order? I looked at a setting diamond combo in LA that was about 14.5k with a 1.5ct diamond and I think that pave setting that she likes is pretty cool I just can''t find the skinny band online and obviously I''m coming on here looking to save a few bucks or maybe buy a bigger diamond. She wants more size rather than a perfect diamond that a lot of the jewlers have tried to sell us (22k for a F VVS 1ct diamond).

I may have to just go with a Tiffany skinny band simple (no side stone) setting and a 2ct diamond.
This whole thing gives me a headache.

Thanks for the response.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/31/2006 2:59:38 AM
Author: MODEVIL
The problem I''m having is finding the skinny band (in the pave halo setting) she likes online. James Allen has something pretty close but the band is not as skinny as she wants. Do any of these sites make the setting to order? I looked at a setting diamond combo in LA that was about 14.5k with a 1.5ct diamond and I think that pave setting that she likes is pretty cool I just can''t find the skinny band online and obviously I''m coming on here looking to save a few bucks or maybe buy a bigger diamond. She wants more size rather than a perfect diamond that a lot of the jewlers have tried to sell us (22k for a F VVS 1ct diamond).

I may have to just go with a Tiffany skinny band simple (no side stone) setting and a 2ct diamond.
This whole thing gives me a headache.

Thanks for the response.

Welcome to PS
35.gif

Many of the vendors listed on the vendors page do custom work and should be able to make what you want, also advise on the design itself, if the band will be sturdy enough for the intended wear.

MODEVIL

Rough_Rock
how sturdy does it need to be and is white gold stronger than platinum or vice versa? She definitely wants a skinny band and has made that clear. How skinny is too skinny? I''m trying to figure out how to articulate what I want to the vendor.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi,

If your gf wants a very thin pave band with a halo, have you thought of going with a designer setting, like the Ritani Endless Love setting with halo? Pearlman's jewelers sells the Ritani line, or any of the companies you end up working with could probably get this setting for you. You have to be careful with those skinny bands that have pave- the work has to be done well, or else you can end up with issues, and being that she wants the band to be as skinny as possible ( I love that look too), I would stick with a company that has a proven track record...I haven't heard of any problems with the Ritani line and their micropave....just an idea....
1.gif

Here is a pic of the setting I am talking about...

Good luck!!!

rr2.jpg

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2006 5:16:10 AM
Author: Dani
Hi,

If your gf wants a very thin pave band with a halo, have you thought of going with a designer setting, like the Ritani Endless Love setting with halo? Pearlman''s jewelers sells the Ritani line, or any of the companies you end up working with could probably get this setting for you. You have to be careful with those skinny bands that have pave- the work has to be done well, or else you can end up with issues, and being that she wants the band to be as skinny as possible ( I love that look too), I would stick with a company that has a proven track record...I haven''t heard of any problems with the Ritani line and their micropave....just an idea....
1.gif

Here is a pic of the setting I am talking about...

Good luck!!!

I second Dani''s Ritani suggestion. The band is just under 2mm but very well made..

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
do a search on "crushed" skinny pave rings. you well might change your mind.
there needs to be enough metal in the shank. the pave makes the already skinny seting into swiss cheese. crushed ring, anyone?

please look at the crushed pave ring in this thread.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/alas-it-twas-my-fault.41075/

please look att he crushed pave ring in this thread
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mangled-leon-mege-e-ring.51137/

please read about pave regrets in this thread
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pave-settings-difficult-to-care-for.55535/

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Agreed, Ladykemma...definitely have to be careful with the skinny pave rings in terms of their workmanship for sure...that is why I suggested Ritani...I have not heard anything negative about their settings at all....

I think if you are the type of person that is very rough on your hands, and you plan to wear your e-ring all the time, then a pave ring is not the type of ring for you. I am a nurse- constantly working with and banging my hands around- and I have pave in my ring...I NEVER wear my ring to work ever, I would mangle it in a heartbeat. To tell you the truth, even if I did not have pave in my ring, I would not wear my diamond to work. For me, I am fine with it, for other people, that might really bother them....so definitely need to think about that before you purchase a ring like this....

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
here is a stout, sturdy pave ring that I own. may I suggest stout and sturdy? there is a lot of metal in this ring.

pavekemma3.jpg

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
stout and sturdy ----- 3 mm at the base/ 5mm at the top.

canterburysideview4.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are pros and cons to pave as well as many other styles out there. we can debate them all day and many debates have already happened here on PS. there are also differences in pave rings that are handmade vs. those that are cast, another can of worms. here is a thread that does a pretty good job of explaining both sides and each individual can decide what's best for them. I am currently considering a Ritani pave ring myself and would not worry about it at all. I feel confident in their settings and they will stand behind their product. Of course, if you know the person wearing the rings is going to be doing hard labor with them on then I too would not recommend a pave ring. here's the thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/another-angle-addressing-the-loss-of-pave-stones.36139/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Although pave has its disadvantages, I have a very thin (1.7mm) and have never had any problems. I have knocked it pretty hard before and nothing has happened. I think if I got it stuck in a car door or something...that would probably bend it, but I imagine it would bend other non-pave bands as well.

I third the ritani halo idea. I would get your diamond from jamesallen or WF and send it over to pearlman''s to get the ritani halo. Ritani is an excellent brand and although the setting is thin, it is well made. As with any ring, I would suggest insuring it...and this should take care of the crushing problem.

However, one thing about pave is that occassionally a stone will fall out. You and your gf need to be able to accept this, because it''s a part of life with pave. They are cheap to replace, but pave bands are not maintainalnce free.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
i think the ritani endless love line is gorgeous. i was deciding between the ritani halo and a simple platinum cathedral setting for my ring. it became an easy choice when one of my coworkers cracked her ritani engagement ring TWICE in six months! ritani was wonderful to work with. they sent her a replacement ring to wear each time so she didn''t have to go without the ring while it was being repaired, but the whole experience was still stressful for her. she wears her ring all the time, but we work in a hospital not at a construction site.

MODEVIL

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. I''m not sure what I''m going to do now wiht the issues and bends a skinny band pave has. This thread has been eye opening.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the WF setting that diamondseeker suggested!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/31/2006 2:49:39 PM
Author: novia

i think the ritani endless love line is gorgeous. i was deciding between the ritani halo and a simple platinum cathedral setting for my ring. it became an easy choice when one of my coworkers cracked her ritani engagement ring TWICE in six months! ritani was wonderful to work with. they sent her a replacement ring to wear each time so she didn''t have to go without the ring while it was being repaired, but the whole experience was still stressful for her. she wears her ring all the time, but we work in a hospital not at a construction site.
i assume you bought a cathedral setting?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
MODEVIL, I have the WF halo prong, and the band is 2mm and just thin enough without it affecting the integrity of the ring. Brian will not go any thinner in platinum. You can have it done in 14k wg if you prefer. There is a price difference, and the wg in a band that thin can be more durable. I will say that I have not had any issues with mine and I have been wearing it every day for over a year now. HTH

shay

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
regarding the skinny pave rings, in addition to not having enough metal to absorb the forces of daily life, the pave holes will tend to concentrate stress forces and will create fatigue cracks more easily. technically it's called a "fatigue crack propagation site".

says my hubby the engineer who deals with metal fatigue in his work.

edited to add: it's like bending a paper clip. aftera while the metal will break. we smack and apply forces our rings every day. the metal bends and gives. smack it again bends and gives. on the 4223'rd smack or force applied, the metal snaps.

also the metal heats and cools, expands and contracts. those little holes are an area of weakness from an expansion/contraction standpoint.

hubby says just buy a stouter ring without all those little holes.

MODEVIL

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 3:13:36 PM
Author: Shay37
MODEVIL, I have the WF halo prong, and the band is 2mm and just thin enough without it affecting the integrity of the ring. Brian will not go any thinner in platinum. You can have it done in 14k wg if you prefer. There is a price difference, and the wg in a band that thin can be more durable. I will say that I have not had any issues with mine and I have been wearing it every day for over a year now. HTH

shay
Shay-
Have you posted pictures of your ring? I''d love to see them.

I went to the a local jewelry store that I have used for other things and her dad has a long relationship with the owners (did legal work for them and has referred a lot of customers) and I really like the micro pave setting and the skinny band. I''m thinking about buying the diamond online and having this store set it so I can insure I get exactly what we want. Anyone ever done this?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 2:11:10 AM
Author: MODEVIL

Date: 1/2/2007 3:13:36 PM
Author: Shay37

shay
Shay-
Have you posted pictures of your ring? I''d love to see them.

I went to the a local jewelry store that I have used for other things and her dad has a long relationship with the owners (did legal work for them and has referred a lot of customers) and I really like the micro pave setting and the skinny band. I''m thinking about buying the diamond online and having this store set it so I can insure I get exactly what we want. Anyone ever done this?
MODEVIL, you can see pics in this link. link I hope you like them. I also have a few from the other day I will post for you.

shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Here''s one. These were taken in my kitchen at night with 40 watt daylight corrected bulbs. They are a bit blurry, but you get the idea.

shay

122306 024.jpg

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Here''s one to show the band size relative to the ring. It is teeny isn''t it? I love that about it. My ring size is about 4.5.

shay

122306 040.jpg

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Just one more. I hope this is a bit better.

shay

Hope these help in your decision.

122306 034.jpg

MODEVIL

Rough_Rock
great pics...beautiful ring.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Here are some pictures of the WF halo rings (both bezel and prong-set) that will help with just how dainty the band really is in person.

ETA: Both of these are set with .75 center stones.

wf%20two%20bezels%20side%20by%20side%20with%20sparkles.jpg

wf%20bezel%20halo%20without%20prongs%20on%20hand%202.jpg

589721587205_0_ALB.jpg

haloonfire.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results