shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a diamond for an engagement ring. Any of these a good option?

kirkland

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a diamond for an engagement ring. Based on my research, I was told to look for a diamond with the following specs. I was also told to come visit this forum because there are a lot of friendly members here who can help me out. I am trying to keep the budget under $6000.

Table54-57
Crown34-35
Pavilion40.6-41
Depth61-62.5
GirdleThin-medium
CuletNone
FluorescenceNo

I have a few questions.

1. Should I revise any of the parameters in the table?
2. What is the best way to find a diamond? I tried to use the tool here but there are very few in the inventory.
3. Are the Brain Gavin/ Whiteflash a cut above diamonds worth the premium? I was told they cost 20-30% more but you do get preselected diamonds with customer service.

Here are the ones which have been recommended to me so far.

.818ct F VS1 A Cut Above hearts & arrows diamond $4,987
1.PNG

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4132166.htm

.795ct E VVS2 A Cut Above hearts & arrows diamond $5,038

2.PNG

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4264591.htm

0.713 ct D IF A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond $6,130
3.PNG

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4080251.htm

.803ct F VVS2 A Cut Above hearts & arrows diamond $5,128

4.PNG
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4285103.htm

I have also been offered two diamonds from a dealer.

Diamond 1:$5970.00 1) 0.90 RD E VS2 GIA

Capture.PNG
Diamond 2:$5215.00 2) 0.90 RD G VVS1 GIA

Capture1.PNG

Please let me know if any of these diamonds are worth getting.

Should I ignore any EGL USA diamonds? These were offered by the deal but I heard bad things about them so I didn't consider them.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? I would say that the table can be up to 58 or even 59 in some circumstances. I also wouldn't let fluor scare you. The only potential issue is very strong fluor in D,E,F stone. But faint or medium fluor is essentially never a problem.

Ignore EGL stones, only consider ones that are GIA or ags graded.

In my opinion WF and high performance diamonds are worth the premium due to the quality of stones and lifetime upgrade policies.

I would also look at eye clean SI1 from WF or HPD because it will still be eye clean and allow you to get a bigger size stone

kirkland

Rough_Rock
What is your budget? I would say that the table can be up to 58 or even 59 in some circumstances. I also wouldn't let fluor scare you. The only potential issue is very strong fluor in D,E,F stone. But faint or medium fluor is essentially never a problem.

Ignore EGL stones, only consider ones that are GIA or ags graded.

In my opinion WF and high performance diamonds are worth the premium due to the quality of stones and lifetime upgrade policies.

I would also look at eye clean SI1 from WF or HPD because it will still be eye clean and allow you to get a bigger size stone

My budget is under $6K USD. How do I tell if something is eye clean? Would it say on the reports or do I just look at the photos?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My budget is under $6K USD. How do I tell if something is eye clean? Would it say on the reports or do I just look at the photos?

We can help you, and WF stones have it listed (it will say eye clean "yes" or "inquire"). Is 6k for the stone and setting or just the stone? If it's for stone and setting, what kind of setting do you want?

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock

Since you are looking at VVS2 and VS1, these stones WILL be eye-clean no matter what. It is a very high clarity grate. You can go up to VS2 and still have an eye-clean diamond without worry. Now, mind-clean is a different issue.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Cut is most important. I'd go for a larger stone with a bit lower color and clarity for more bang for the buck. H and VS2 would probably look the same as what you're looking at and you could even go lower than that if you wanted, I and SI1.

I've had good luck with Adiamor. I think they don't offer as much service etc. but their prices seem a little lower to me.

Agree about GIA or AGS grading only. Also, I absolutely love fluorescence. It's so cool to see your diamond turn bright blue under a black light. As long as it's not Very Strong and maybe also not Strong. I think the presence of fluorescence also brings the price down a tad, though I have no idea why since it's so cool. :)

One more thing, just an FYI if you're concerned about size, some other shapes, a pear or marquise, for example, appear to be larger than a round as do other shapes that are longer one way than the other way.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
We can help you, and WF stones have it listed (it will say eye clean "yes" or "inquire"). Is 6k for the stone and setting or just the stone? If it's for stone and setting, what kind of setting do you want?

I can go up to $7k and yes just for the diamond. I plan to get a very simple cheap platinum setting and spend more on the diamond instead.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
Cut is most important. I'd go for a larger stone with a bit lower color and clarity for more bang for the buck. H and VS2 would probably look the same as what you're looking at and you could even go lower than that if you wanted, I and SI1.

I've had good luck with Adiamor. I think they don't offer as much service etc. but their prices seem a little lower to me.

Agree about GIA or AGS grading only. Also, I absolutely love fluorescence. It's so cool to see your diamond turn bright blue under a black light. As long as it's not Very Strong and maybe also not Strong. I think the presence of fluorescence also brings the price down a tad, though I have no idea why since it's so cool. :)

One more thing, just an FYI if you're concerned about size, some other shapes, a pear or marquise, for example, appear to be larger than a round as do other shapes that are longer one way than the other way.

Thanks if F and H doesn't make a big difference I can go for those and get a bigger diamond instead.

What does everyone think of these ones?

1.015 ct G VS2 A $7,712

1.02 ct H VS1 $7,830

About the same price. Seems like costs go way up if you want 1 carat.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Yep, the prices do take a jump at certain cut off points, like the "magical" one carat mark. :)

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks if F and H doesn't make a big difference I can go for those and get a bigger diamond instead.

What does everyone think of these ones?

1.015 ct G VS2 A $7,712

1.02 ct H VS1 $7,830

About the same price. Seems like costs go way up if you want 1 carat.

This one is on hold but I would still inquire - sometimes they do get released as people change their mind:

This might suit your first preference of an F color:

This one might show a bit of yellow-ish hue but a great deal as well:

The one you picked 1.02 and H/VS1 looks outstanding.

kirkland

Rough_Rock
This one is on hold but I would still inquire - sometimes they do get released as people change their mind:

This might suit your first preference of an F color:

This one might show a bit of yellow-ish hue but a great deal as well:

The one you picked 1.02 and H/VS1 looks outstanding.

Apparently that one is sold. Good to know the 1.02 and H/VS1 looks good to you.

This one is a H VVS2

where as this one is G VS2

If you were me which one of the 3 would you pick?They are all pretty similar in price. Thanks a lot :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would probably be my choice. Look at the Sparkle and Brilliance videos.

I love G/SI1 combos because it's a nice balance of remaining colorless and not having the price jump for D-F. As long as it's eye clean (which this one is), I think this is excellent.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Apparently that one is sold. Good to know the 1.02 and H/VS1 looks good to you.

This one is a H VVS2

where as this one is G VS2

If you were me which one of the 3 would you pick?They are all pretty similar in price. Thanks a lot :)

I would go with the G, VS2 or the one you picked, H, VS1. Color difference will be unnoticeable to the naked eye and so will the clarity but since you started your search with F, I believe you might be more comfortable with the G color. You cannot go wrong either way. I have an H (2.13ct) from them and love it to death - no yellow hue. Their service is also second to none. Ask Wink to make you a comparison video between those two, he will be happy to do so.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results