carat
color
clarity

Looking for a dainty promise ring

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
madelise|1375406675|3494955 said:
Frankly, I find it too similar to your old e-ring. I'd steer away from princess solitaires unless she specifically likes those > other styles.

Good point. I'll keep looking. Maybe back to the trilogy ring.

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So many great options!

I am watching this one on ebay. It might have been one of the earlier suggestions... I think it is really pretty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121151821371

What is a European cut? feedback appreciated.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
terceslil|1375478987|3495556 said:
So many great options!

I am watching this one on ebay. It might have been one of the earlier suggestions... I think it is really pretty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121151821371

What is a European cut? feedback appreciated.

An Old Euro is an old diamond, cut before all the new technology and schnazzy studies on ideal optics. They were usually cut by hand, not machine, and had wonky, larger facets, higher crowns, and culets (the hole in the center).

Us antique lovers find them very romantic. There's a whole sub forum for antique lovers here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/antique-and-vintage-jewelry.68/

and a bunch of user shared and owned antique diamonds posted here:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ld-cut-lovers-please-sign-in-t113724-690.html

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There are some very nice diamonds in those threads. Thank you :)

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Lots of discussion of promise rings online....

here is an excerpt from where I originally got the idea....

Monogamy: A promise of fidelity may be represented by a beautiful ring, whether it is exchanged between a young couple or a married couple who may have experienced an adulterous intrusion into their relationship. Gay couples may also use promise rings to pledge their monogamous commitment to one another in lieu of an engagement ring or wedding ring if they cannot legally marry.
Source: http://engagementrings.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Promise_Ring_Meaning

This, of course, brings us back to the earlier bolded statement in one of the previous posts where I say that it is not legal in my state. However, I like this write up about promise rings, and plan on following the guidelines here: http://www.lovepanky.com/love-couch/romantic-love/what-is-a-promise-ring

I have been looking at engagement rings, though, and I really don't have a problem giving an engagement ring. (I just don't plan on spending a fortune on an engagement ring.) I spend a good bit on travel in order to see her.

So what is the meaning of this ring and what is the promise?

I am promising a future with her. We are 1300 miles apart right now and I want to close the distance. I want her to move down here and be with me. Other things I want to tell her... She is always on my mind, I always think about her. I don't sleep well if she is not in the same bed as me. I look forward to talking to her every day. She is the first person I want to call when I want or need help. I value her happiness. She is the first person I want to talk to when I have any new news. I love her flaws as much as I love her positive traits. I want to be there for her when she wants or needs help, I want to be there to support her. I love the emotional, physical, and spiritual connection that we have. I love how we work through everything and that we have grown so much together. I want a future with her. I promise to be committed and loyal as long as it takes for us to be together in the same place. That is my promise to her.

For now, I am watching this ring and want to see what it does before it closes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121151821371

Open to any feedback you might have on this ring.

Kilda

Rough_Rock
terceslil|1375513259|3495825 said:
So what is the meaning of this ring and what is the promise?

I am promising a future with her. We are 1300 miles apart right now and I want to close the distance. I want her to move down here and be with me. Other things I want to tell her... She is always on my mind, I always think about her. I don't sleep well if she is not in the same bed as me. I look forward to talking to her every day. She is the first person I want to call when I want or need help. I value her happiness. She is the first person I want to talk to when I have any new news. I love her flaws as much as I love her positive traits. I want to be there for her when she wants or needs help, I want to be there to support her. I love the emotional, physical, and spiritual connection that we have. I love how we work through everything and that we have grown so much together. I want a future with her. I promise to be committed and loyal as long as it takes for us to be together in the same place. That is my promise to her.

For now, I am watching this ring and want to see what it does before it closes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121151821371

Open to any feedback you might have on this ring.

I just had to post to say: aaaaawwwww!!!

I really like the one you're watching on ebay, it seems very simple and classic, and the price seems really good. Have you considered bidding on it?

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Have you seen the "Oui" ring by Dior? I've always thought this would make the perfect promise ring. It comes in white gold as well as yellow. You can find a non-Dior version of it on Etsy, too. I like the meaning behind it, and I especially like that it does not look like a miniature version of an engagement ring.

_8501.jpg

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
When I say I am watching the auction, I am trying to see what it will close at.... I usually try to snipe them within the last few seconds if they are not out of my range. So far, it looks like it will be a reasonable deal. :D

If anything comparable comes up between now and then, I would be interested in looking at it.

I like the Oui ring, too. I have no idea what her take would be on it. I'll be looking it up for the price ranges.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Bidders are doing what bidders do at the end of the auction.... :razz: So I am looking at all the rings in previous posts. There are some really nice suggestions here :)

I wanted to keep the ring sub-$500, white gold... I asked her if she likes antique jewelry and she said yes... and added vintage.

I said "dainty" in the title of this post because I don't have very feminine taste and usually lean toward what looks practical, timeless, sturdy. I can use help in picking out a ring for her thin, feminine, piano playing hands.

I am watching the price rise for the one I thought I had my heart set on and it looks like I will be back to the drawing board soon... like I said, looking at previous suggestions already.

Thanks for all your help :)

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The auction went over $600 so I gave up. I don't intend to spend that much. I will keep looking.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that one! I especially like that it's both classy and informal at the same time. If the ring looks too much like an engagement ring, she could be peppered with a lot of "is it or isn't it an engagement ring" type questions, which could get old very quickly. This ring is less engagement-like, even though it has a diamond center, because of the bezel and twisted shank. My only concern is the SI2 diamond - it's what you'd expect for this price, but might have some visible spots and it might not be a dazzler.

ETA - the seller has a 14-day return policy, so that gives you some protection!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
terceslil|1375763664|3497418 said:

Oh yes, I really like this one! It seems like you are gravitating more toward the solitaire look now? I know that you said that she prefers WG, but what about a heart shaped diamond? I think that it could make an adorable pendent if an ering follows this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUNNING-SPARKLING-HEART-SHAPED-DIAMOND-SOLITAIRE-RING-ENGAGEMENT-PROMISE-RING-/181174111822?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item2a2ed18e4e

not sure if this one has been posted yet..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14k-WHITE-GOLD-RING-1-3-CT-DIAMOND-ENGAGEMENT-SIZE-4-1-4-DIAMONDS-/350848106340?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item51b02d3f64

yellow gold again but I cute ring...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14kt-Yellow-Gold-Anniversary-Diamond-Band-Ring-/251314191868?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item3a837e3dfc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Diamond-Ring-14K-White-Gold-/281134037756?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item4174e4fafc

colored stone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tsavorite-Engagement-Ring-14K-Gold-5-1g-VS-Diamonds-Size-7-Appraisal-Incl-/300943260706?pt=Wedding_Sets&hash=item46119dbc22

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Engagement-Ring-14K-YG-40ct-SI1-IJ-Marquise-1-200-Appraisal-Included-/310704344925?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item48576c0f5d

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
terceslil|1375763664|3497418 said:

The most recent ring you posted looks like a good value, but I still prefer this one - more in keeping with a promise ring vs. an engagement ring. I also like the tsavorite ring Christina posted, and a heart shaped stone seems like a good option for a promise ring too...

You have lots of good options here. Time to make a choice! :wink2:

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You're right. I have a lot of excellent options here. :D

I have one untapped resource that I just checked into. My supervisor at work is taking classes in gemology right now. I shared my ebay watchlist with him that included all the antique, vintage, solitaire, and trilogy rings that I have been watching and bidding on. He is taking those ideas and will be getting back with me. He loves the idea of creating something original and unique.

If he is able to create something on my budget I will be open to his ideas. :) This search may get even more interesting - and looks like I might have to practice more patience.

Thanks for sharing the ring you were watching Niel :) It is beautiful :)

I'm certain she will appreciate all the thought and energy that went into the ring selection when it is all over, and that she will be happy with whatever I select... it's really the sentiment behind it. I talked last night to a friend who knows both of us and she agreed that the promise ring and the promise behind it is the way to go, especially considering the place that each of us are in right now. It felt good to be affirmed. :)

Thanks for all of your help, guys. I will let you know as soon as I hear any ideas from my supervisor at work. He is very creative and I am interested to hearing his ideas. All of your help has been most appreciated.

I have some awesome choices to pick from.

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
img_1096-129.jpg

I made an offer on this little cutie right here. :) I will wait a couple of hours. If no response, I'll probably buy it for what he's asking. I've been returning back to this little guy over and over ever since I found him.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
That's really cute!! Good find :)

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I pulled the trigger and got the ring. She will be here on the 17th. The ring should be here around the 20th :D

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Yah! :appl: I'm looking forward to seeing photos and hearing what you think of your choice! I'm sure that she will be thrilled! :))

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl:

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The ring came in today. I'm going by the tracking number. I'm not home to get it and won't be till late this evening. I called a local jeweler about polishing the ring. They gave me an estimate of $35. I told them that the description says it is white gold, but the ring is stamped "PLAT". They said that if it is platinum that the ring may still be dull when polished. They offered an option to plate it platinum, which I will refuse. I just want the knicks/dimples out of the ring (the major signs of wear). I don't expect it to shine like a brand new ring. They said it will depend on the ring if I will be able to wait on it while it is being polished, or if I will have to leave it with them and pick it up later.

I am very excited the ring is here and want to just give it to her! I believe it will make a nicer presentation to bring the ring to be polished first, then give it to her, though.

I had her try on some of my mom's old rings - we were playing in the jewelry box. I have a couple of rings that are close. One ring is a sizable ring that I was able to adjust and the other is a thin braided band. I may bring them to the jeweler and try to find out the size those rings are. I've already learned the hard way that it really does depend on the ring itself, though.

Does it sound unreasonable or too eager/anxious to give her the ring as is and then have the ring polished and sized? (I'd hate to have it sized and then later learn that 5.75 is the right size after all.) Does that sound crazy?

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
img_4130.jpg

img_4126_0.jpg

img_4121_b_w.jpg

She loves her ring :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh! It's so beautiful and elegant!!! It looks so chic on her hands.

Did you have it polished and resized first?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results