carat
color
clarity

Looking for a dainty promise ring

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi guys I'm back.

I left for quite a while. Ya'll helped me select an excellent engagement ring for my partner at that time. It was beautiful and lovely and she showed everyone. (here). We broke up in December and the ring has been sitting in the jewelry cabinet.

I am now in search of a reasonable promise ring for my honey. She plays the piano. I would like it to be dainty. Fairly small I suppose... she wears a size 6. I have a ring that was my mother's that gets a lot of compliments. I like the style of the ring, but I don't want it to look the same. It's just the style I like I guess because I have received a lot of compliments on the ring.

cimg1275cropped.jpg

cimg1280cropped.jpg

cimg1280_0.jpg

My girlfriend likes silver. So I'm guessing my best bet will be white gold. The ring shown is about a 7. It might be a little too much for my gf's thin fingers. If this ring inspires any of you for any promise ring ideas, please let me know. As you might have guessed, I am not aiming for some huge diamond. My goal is a dainty ring with a style that will endure time. If anyone knows the style of this ring, please let me know. I am not stuck on this style or that many small diamonds.

SophiesDream

Rough_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/five-stone-shared-prong-diamond-wedding-band-813.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/right-hand-rings/danielle-jazz-bezel-diamond-right-hand-ring-174.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/seven-stone-shared-prong-diamond-wedding-band-397.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-bands/petite-diamond-wedding-band-774.htm

these are technically all wedding bands. However they could make a lovely stack with an engagement / wedding ring later on.
They are all dainty and beautiful! And i as a girl who has small dainty hands would go mad for one of these !! Plus the diamonds are going to be so sparkly and stunning especially comparing to your mothers ring :) which is also beatiful

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome back! :wavey:
Fixing a budget is always a good starting point.
Since she plays the piano, I'd choose an eternity band to prevent the spinning.
I would't buy silver, but a precious metal like white gold or platinum.
I'd go preowned in order to save money and get none the less a beautiful ring.

Some nice options:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/bands/thin-sapphire-and-diamond-eternity-band-stacker
http://loupetroop.com/listings/bands/last-reduction-before-ebay-varna-platinum-engraved-band
http://diamondbistro.com/category/214/Eternity-Rings/listings/33358/Beautiful-Gabriel-and-Co-sapphire-eternity.html

Only 3/4 eternity band, but worth considering as an excellent option:
http://loupetroop.com/listings/bands/jared-diamond-3-slash-4-eternity-band

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure she would like a promise ring? I have a few, and I love them since any excuse for a diamond is a good excuse… but most people have reacted negatively to the idea. Thoughts like, it'll be a disappointment that it's not an engagement ring, or that it's juvenile. :confused:

Just throwing some these thoughts out just in case!

But for something like that, I'd shop eBay or RubyLane for a real antique ring. Attached with a card or note playing the lines of your love, like the ring, will withstand time.. :love:

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
DBL has some BEAUTIFUL dainty wedding-band type rings with colored stones.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/special-order-pink-diamond-wedding-band-34ctw-fancy-pink-diamond-wedding-ring-so3853

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/yellow-diamond-wedding-band-80cts-fancy-yellow-vs-si1-radiant-cut-five-stone-ring-r4658

If you don't find anything specifically to your color preferences, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to build something similar. I love those rings, and David is a hoot to talk to (he can be a little colorful to match his stones ;-) ).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1375261518|3493548 said:
Are you sure she would like a promise ring? I have a few, and I love them since any excuse for a diamond is a good excuse… but most people have reacted negatively to the idea. Thoughts like, it'll be a disappointment that it's not an engagement ring, or that it's juvenile. :confused:

Just throwing some these thoughts out just in case!

But for something like that, I'd shop eBay or RubyLane for a real antique ring. Attached with a card or note playing the lines of your love, like the ring, will withstand time.. :love:

These were my first thoughts, exactly. IMO, if you're over the age of 16, a "promise ring" would be a huge disappointment. Some women might think that you're just giving it to pacify them, but aren't ready for/don't wanna pay for an engagement ring. If you want to get her a nice gift, how about a pair of earrings or a pendant? :))

Has she said that she'd like a "promise ring"? If that's something she's shown interest in, then great... if not, then I'd steer clear of that idea until you knew she'd like that idea. There are other ways to show you are dedicated to her. I don't mean this in a rude way, I promise. I'm just saying that she might have a different reaction. And not a good one. :|

In the event that you know she's into it, then I'd buy a non-diamond ring.

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The situation is that we are long distance. We have known each other over a year and we've been dating six months. The promise ring is a promise of a future. It is important to her that she have something to symbolize our commitment to each other. She will know that I am not cheaping out by not wanting to buy an engagement ring. I pay a lot for travel as it is. So just seeing each other is expensive. When I give her the ring, I will also be having a conversation about closing the distance.

I am certain she will be happy with the promise ring, promise of commitment and our future, and the talks of closing the distance. I will get a nicer ring for her in time. We needn't be formally engaged - I'm gay in a state that marriage isn't legal anyway. Our relationship is strong enough that she knows I will be there for her in the future and this ring is symbol of that.

Having said all that, I am considering pre-owned and I would like to spend under $500. I like the look of the rings in the first post and had not considered that playing the piano might cause the ring to spin. Anything else I might need to consider?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
terceslil|1375300343|3493935 said:
...I am considering pre-owned and I would like to spend under $500. I like the look of the rings in the first post and had not considered that playing the piano might cause the ring to spin. Anything else I might need to consider?

Oh okay, I gotcha! I think it's nice that you're wanting to ease her mind. :)) I absolutely love the ring Niel posted from Etsy -- it is really nice! As far as the ring spinning... as long as it's not too top-heavy, she shouldn't have a problem with it. I think a band is the way to go though.

I'm excited to see what you choose!! :appl:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The situation is that we are long distance. We have known each other over a year and we've been dating six months. The promise ring is a promise of a future. It is important to her that she have something to symbolize our commitment to each other. She will know that I am not cheaping out by not wanting to buy an engagement ring. I pay a lot for travel as it is. So just seeing each other is expensive. When I give her the ring, I will also be having a conversation about closing the distance.

I am certain she will be happy with the promise ring, promise of commitment and our future, and the talks of closing the distance. I will get a nicer ring for her in time. We needn't be formally engaged - I'm gay in a state that marriage isn't legal anyway. Our relationship is strong enough that she knows I will be there for her in the future and this ring is symbol of that.

Having said all that, I am considering pre-owned and I would like to spend under $500. I like the look of the rings in the first post and had not considered that playing the piano might cause the ring to spin. Anything else I might need to consider?

Thanks for not being upset by my post. It's the same ideas people shared with me when I shared my p-rings. BUT! I need to address the statement in bold! Just because your state hasn't made marriage between two people of the same sex legal doesn't mean you don't "need" to be engaged! Don't let the old, backwards laws that have yet to change keep you from moving forward in your life. Propose when you feel ready to, regardless of the stance on gay marriage. You can always have a symbolic ceremony (I had a few friends do this before CA just very recently allowed same sex marriage again), go to another state for the tying of the knot, or wait until your state does change.

One day! Hopefully soon! I hope I will never hear/see a sentence uttered by anyone like the one I've bolded. :wavey:

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
VRBeauty|1375331827|3494314 said:

I actually was looking at the third one listed a little bit earlier today :)

I just sent off an email contacting that same seller about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271248652819

It seems to be a lot of ring for the price. I asked if the inside of the ring that has been stamped or engraved can be filled or buffed out and if the head of the ring can be cleaned, or if it is tarnished. If these things can be addressed, I might have a winner. I like that we looked at the same ring though (your #3 ring on your links) and might give that ring some more thought.

Also, what would be the advantages to choosing one of the pre-owned rings to the one I linked here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-25-Ct-3-S...t=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item53f2b36aa9

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
madelise|1375332916|3494318 said:

Thanks for not being upset by my post. It's the same ideas people shared with me when I shared my p-rings. BUT! I need to address the statement in bold! Just because your state hasn't made marriage between two people of the same sex legal doesn't mean you don't "need" to be engaged! Don't let the old, backwards laws that have yet to change keep you from moving forward in your life. Propose when you feel ready to, regardless of the stance on gay marriage. You can always have a symbolic ceremony (I had a few friends do this before CA just very recently allowed same sex marriage again), go to another state for the tying of the knot, or wait until your state does change.

One day! Hopefully soon! I hope I will never hear/see a sentence uttered by anyone like the one I've bolded. :wavey:

Thanks for your support :D :D

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
terceslil|1375333326|3494323 said:
I actually was looking at the third one listed a little bit earlier today :)

I just sent off an email contacting that same seller about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271248652819

It seems to be a lot of ring for the price. I asked if the inside of the ring that has been stamped or engraved can be filled or buffed out and if the head of the ring can be cleaned, or if it is tarnished. If these things can be addressed, I might have a winner. I like that we looked at the same ring though (your #3 ring on your links) and might give that ring some more thought.

Also, what would be the advantages to choosing one of the pre-owned rings to the one I linked here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-25-Ct-3-S...t=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item53f2b36aa9

Thanks for all your help, everyone.

I agree - the solitaire does seem like a good deal for the money. I don't know your financial situation, but most of these rings are in the under $300 range. If that's a comfortable price range for you, and you can afford to look (in that range) primarily at how the ring fits your style and comfort criteria rather than value, I think you'll be happier with the results. Unless of course value is a major criteria for you in all things... :wink2: and getting a terrific value would be a reflection of who you are...

I really like the style of the criss-cross ring you found, but I am concerned that the diamonds in that ring are clarity enhanced. I think that might present durability and clarity concerns down the line...? I really don't know about clarity enhancements, so I'm hoping somebody else will chime in here! :lol: And I suppose long-range durability might not matter much to you for a promise ring, which is kind of intended to be a temporary placeholder. I guess I'd also be concerned that the quality of the diamonds would also be reflected in the quality of the setting, especially since it looks like the illustration might be a computer-enhanced image rather than a photograph of the actual ring. Finally, the description of the diamonds is less than totally clear: the "product details" box indicates that the total carat weight of all three stones is .25ct, which is followed by "1st stone: diamond information" which suggests that each individual stone (or at least one of them) weights .25 ct. :confused: I suppose it could be a totally innocent mistake, but I see it as a red flag.

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I agree that the picture seems to be enhanced with photoshop and that the description is suspect.

Honestly, I have never given a pre-owned ring, nor have I ever given a promise ring. It seems overall to be good value for the money (the pre-owned rings). I am looking at more rings from the same seller I emailed regarding the solitaire. I think the vintage/pre-owned jewelry is more likely to withstand the test of time.

:)

Has anyone here ever given a pre-owned ring? If so, I wonder what reaction I might expect. :razz:

The last ring I gave was a $5K engagement ring from James Allen in 2010. Of course she liked it. We broke up late last year. I can't/won't re-gift the ring or use the stone from it just based on principle. I would like to get a nice ring to symbolize my commitment to my current partner without breaking the bank. Wonder how she will react to a pre-owned ring.... This article suggests that there are only pros, no cons to buying pre-owned... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mara-opperman/secondhand-engagement-rin_b_1307555.html

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
terceslil|1375336292|3494343 said:
Honestly, I have never given a pre-owned ring, nor have I ever given a promise ring. It seems overall to be good value for the money (the pre-owned rings). I am looking at more rings from the same seller I emailed regarding the solitaire. I think the vintage/pre-owned jewelry is more likely to withstand the test of time.

Has anyone here ever given a pre-owned ring? If so, I wonder what reaction I might expect. :razz:

Some people believe in this hocus pocus thing about wearing a ring that came from a broken relationship. What they don't know is that most diamonds are recycled anyway. The "new" ones you buy from jewelers can be trade-ins!

I think, for the believer of this hocus pocus, the best bet is not a modern used ring, but an antique used ring. That way, it's not about fearing any bad juju from a broken relationship, but more appreciating the romance that the ring has been through another person's journey for their lifetime. Shrug. People are weird.

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I believe there is an opportunity to get a much nicer ring that will withstand time by going with a pre-owned ring. I will wait for an answer regarding the solitaire. I have been perusing that seller's rings and he has some nice rings at reasonable prices. I'm interested to hear what he says can be done about the stamps on the inside of the ring and the head of the ring. It seems like a nice ring for the price.

I suppose that my position is a hard one, but I am not comfortable right now spending $5K on another engagement ring or reusing the one I have already.

Getting a less expensive promise ring to represent my commitment is where I am right now. We're still long distance. I would love for her to come down here and live with me and complete my life :) I look forward to having this conversation with her. The ring is not contingent on that happening though, she has my heart regardless what comes of the conversation. :bigsmile:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1375336845|3494349 said:

Some people believe in this hocus pocus thing about wearing a ring that came from a broken relationship. What they don't know is that most diamonds are recycled anyway. The "new" ones you buy from jewelers can be trade-ins!

I think, for the believer of this hocus pocus, the best bet is not a modern used ring, but an antique used ring. That way, it's not about fearing any bad juju from a broken relationship, but more appreciating the romance that the ring has been through another person's journey for their lifetime. Shrug. People are weird.

My $.02... Giving a ring from someone else's relationship (broken or good or unknown) is one thing... re-giving a ring from your own broken relationship is another, especially early in the new relationship. Later on it might be an option when you' can talk about it and reach an agreement beforehand.

Personally I like vintage jewelry... and clothing and accessories etc. because you can get more for your money than you would if you purchased new. However the question is not about me but about your girlfriend. Is she comfortable bargain hunting and buying used books, clothing, furniture etc. on occasion? If so, she'll probably appreciate your ingenuity and the search you went through to find her something unique and meaningful within your budget. If it would never occur to her to buy used, then you might be better off buying new ring, even if it is more modest than what you'd get used.

This is a nice option in a new ring, though a bit pricier than the rings you've been looking at: http://www.bluenile.com/sapphire-diamond-ring_21209

daintier: http://www.ross-simons.com/products/797757.html

.10 ct in white gold: http://www.ross-simons.com/products/589719.html

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1375338400|3494358 said:
madelise|1375336845|3494349 said:

My $.02... Giving a ring from someone else's relationship (broken or good or unknown) is one thing... re-giving a ring from your own broken relationship is another, especially early in the new relationship. Later on it might be an option when you' can talk about it and reach an agreement beforehand.

Ditto VR - they are, in my opinion, two very different propositions.
Personally I don't believe in any of the hocus pocus - I don't believe diamonds hold onto karma or juju and pass it on to future owners... I would, however, NOT want a ring that my DH had proposed to another woman with, because I couldn't ignore the fact that that stone and that setting were carefully selected with someone else in mind, that when he paid for it and walked out with it he daydreamed about how he would ask another woman to marry him... I would want a ring that DH spent that time and effort on whilst thinking about ME.

ETA: Time and effort but not necessarily money, especially re. the stone itself - if it was a pretty stone in a shape/style I liked, and if he talked to me about it and together we decided to re-use it, that would still fulfil my "thinking about me" requirement... ::)

ETA: And family heirlooms are a different can of worms!

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I received a response from the ebay seller regarding the solitaire.

Hi Hope, thanks for the message - the engraving to one side reads forever and .21 representing diamond weight. To the other side is the makers mark "LPLD" and next to this a tiny heart. There are no initials of couples or anything similar to that. The "Forever" could be rubbed out but I don't see it necessary. It's quite sweet. There is no tarnish to the head - that is the reflection of the desk lamp on the angle poise lights we use - it's often hard to avoid this with white gold.

I hope all this helps.

img_2565-53.jpg

Please have a look at the head of this ring. I think this is a nice ring. Does it look dirty behind the diamond or something? Or does it look like the reflection of the desk lamp?

img_2566-54.jpg

img_2567-55.jpg

By the way guys, I have no intention of reusing the diamond or ring from my ex's ring.

terceslil

Shiny_Rock
Trade
img_2571-59.jpg

If you think this is something that can be cleaned, I'd be all for getting it cleaned. Just wondering what you guys think.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frankly, I find it too similar to your old e-ring. I'd steer away from princess solitaires unless she specifically likes those > other styles.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like it has tiny surprise diamonds on the sides!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results