carat
color
clarity

Lookey what I got...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1338223953|3205092 said:
Mara|1338223097|3205086 said:
I would also simplify the scrolls up, simply because the dirt and stuff getting trapped in there would bug me..!! A lot of these older rings are so hard to really clean. Getting the pavilion from the bottom is one thing but the sides under the girdle etc... I'd keep it a bit more open.

I agree, and with these old stones they really show gunk on the pavilion on the mains under the table I find. And leaky stones need to be cleeeaaaaann!

I will think on it more. I actually ponder doing an even more open setting because I find old cuts benefit from oppenness under the pavilion so the leakage is showing light, not showing the dark underbelly of a basket.

I swear to God, I must be blind. I never notice any copious amounts of dirt on any of my stuff. Ignorance is bliss, lol.

Dreamer, I love gold - it just looks awful on me. Maybe a creamier white gold may work for you if you still want white metal.

I like your adjustments on that setting. When I think BGD though, I tend to think more modern settings, and of course they do a nice job on those.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1338254848|3205261 said:
Dreamer_D|1338223953|3205092 said:
Mara|1338223097|3205086 said:
I would also simplify the scrolls up, simply because the dirt and stuff getting trapped in there would bug me..!! A lot of these older rings are so hard to really clean. Getting the pavilion from the bottom is one thing but the sides under the girdle etc... I'd keep it a bit more open.

I agree, and with these old stones they really show gunk on the pavilion on the mains under the table I find. And leaky stones need to be cleeeaaaaann!

I will think on it more. I actually ponder doing an even more open setting because I find old cuts benefit from oppenness under the pavilion so the leakage is showing light, not showing the dark underbelly of a basket.

I swear to God, I must be blind. I never notice any copious amounts of dirt on any of my stuff. Ignorance is bliss, lol.

Dreamer, I love gold - it just looks awful on me. Maybe a creamier white gold may work for you if you still want white metal.

I like your adjustments on that setting. When I think BGD though, I tend to think more modern settings, and of course they do a nice job on those.

Unplayed white gold is appealing to me as well.

I know, re: BGD and more clean fluid lines. I think ERD has some amazing antique repros. I'll think about it more. I am still not 100% sure about the style I want. I want it to meet my desire for a clean modern esthetic, but also pay homage to elder styles.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, thinking simpler and more open...

These are baskets I really love. Do you think they can be made into three stones fairly easily? Two designs, not both on one ring!

durnellbasket.png

bgdbaskets.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am also obsessed with these pretty crown mounts from singlestone, but a few too many prongs. Still the style couldbe pared down.

singlestonecupcakes.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i always wonder with styles like that where the 'donut' goes if you don't want the ring to be truly standalone, aka want to wear a band near it rather than far away. i love those styles, and considered similar myself for my solitaire.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1338267315|3205330 said:
i always wonder with styles like that where the 'donut' goes if you don't want the ring to be truly standalone, aka want to wear a band near it rather than far away. i love those styles, and considered similar myself for my solitaire.

I think you just have a gap! I like a gap myself. I think you can always raise the stones a little to make the donut a little smaller and lessen the gap.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1338265986|3205321 said:
I am also obsessed with these pretty crown mounts from singlestone, but a few too many prongs. Still the style couldbe pared down.

Ooh, love those. And of course, I don't think there are too many prongs. ;)) :rodent:

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
The BGD basket is one of my favorites. :love: It makes it very easy to clean the stone. I'm sure it'll look great if they can pull it off for a three stone.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think those first two could be combined into a three stone ring. I'm not as crazy about the second ones. The first ones give you a cleaner look and yet it would provide some pizzaz for the antique stones. I think you're moving in the right direction!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you definitely want a certain number of prongs? You mentioned the five earlier...

I don't like the durnell pave encrusted basket at all, I think the bowed lines are awkward but I don't see a way to make them better conform to the ston(es)! I really like the BGD and SS styles, the SS especially for a 5prong design :sun:

I can't believe I'm saying this but I would be wary of unplated wg for *you*, but only because I know you like your stones white!! Well - unplated pd-wg would be fine. I definitely think the creamy metal + not-icy-white diamond = creamy all around.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I still like the modified Fourtane setting the best for your ring, it is just stunning. The SS mountings are beautiful too though!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, assuming that this is the design I want, with simplified baskets:

dreamthreestoneA.jpg

Who can do it?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BGD.
1. You've worked with them successfully before,
2. CAD. No question. Make sure the simplification is exactly what you want. Then CAM to make sure the execution is exactly as specified in the CAD.

One thing about the very open BGD leverbacks (or some simplification of this one that leaves the pav very open like that) - if you choose a white metal, you'll see the contrast between diamond colour and metal colour more easily.

*Edited

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1338294768|3205427 said:
I can't believe I'm saying this but I would be wary of unplated wg for *you*, but only because I know you like your stones white!! Well - unplated pd-wg would be fine. I definitely think the creamy metal + not-icy-white diamond = creamy all around.

I like the way my stones look in yellow gold. Do you think it would be very different in unplated white? The stones look really bright and white in the current mount. I can see warmth, no question, especially next to my G color stone, but it is pleasing to my eye. Tinted OECs look so different, and perform differently, from tinted RBs, and I much prefer the former. Any thoughts on yellow metal versus white metal and how the stones will look? There are two simultaneous things affecting the appearance of the stones in the yellow gold that are interesting: First the yellow reflects in the stones making them appear more tinted on an absolute level; but second the contrast between white light return and yellow metal creates the impression of beightness and whiteness! It is a funny phenomenon.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I love the crowns!!!

As far as colored metal, I've always loved a more tinted OEC in gold, vs lighter in white gold. I like how the white gold without rhodium plating looks - but i guess that's personal preference.

also - in answer to your negotiation question. I just never know how to start off. I always feel like i have to justify my offer, and don't know if i should just put it out there or send a long rembling email.

*sigh*

i can't wait to see what you do with this!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two simultaneous things affecting the appearance of the stones in the yellow gold that are interesting: First the yellow reflects in the stones making them appear more tinted on an absolute level; but second the contrast between white light return and yellow metal creates the impression of beightness and whiteness! It is a funny phenomenon.

ITA agree with this!

I like the way my stones look in yellow gold. Do you think it would be very different in unplated white?

Which is why I *do* think you'll see a big difference in unplated white. Unplated white (of the creamy nickel variety, I mean, not the very white Pd-wg) lends the same effect as the first you mention - makes them appear more tinted on an absolute level, but fails on the second front re. contrast between white stone (not white light return so much as actual body colour, for me) and rich metal colour. The closer the stone and setting are in *absolute* colour the more the whole thing - stone, setting, all of it - regresses to the mean for lack of better way to put it.

I don't think it's possible to capture this "averaging" in photos though, where the whole point is to focus on each part individually, it's more a factor of how you look at the ring as a whole piece IRL.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think BGD will make a dynamite ring for you. Plus the "known" factor will really put your mind a bit more at ease. The hardest thing about my ring was working with an unknown vendor to me - and even more so because there were few examples of their work here on PS.

Alj's 3 stone ring is in gold, and it makes my heart go pitter pat. It just looks SO amazing on. I've been wanting to get into gold, but yellow skin and yellow gold just looks strange for me personally. Plus nothing to me looks more classic and elegant than a gold band to match. Yum yum yum.

The only thing I don't like about gold rings vs platinum is the heft. I love feeling like my fingers are seriously weighted down, hahaha.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the unplated white gold. No special reason, I just don't love the look of diamonds in yellow gold :rolleyes: I'm guessing I'll be the minority on that though...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been holding off on setting my earrings that you helped me find because of settings. I was going to go for a simple 6 or 8 prong martini stock setting. Then I saw your Fortune ring setting in this thread. It's everything and more. Well, almost ;-) I've decided who I'm going to work with and have sent them a tonne of photos, with this setting being top of my list. If they can come up with something good, I'll show you! I'm after an open setting, 6 to 8 prongs, scrolls, and set low. Sounds like a couple of the things your looking for as well?

Did I read on another thread that you sold your Aurora?!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1338320436|3205672 said:
I've been holding off on setting my earrings that you helped me find because of settings. I was going to go for a simple 6 or 8 prong martini stock setting. Then I saw your Fortune ring setting in this thread. It's everything and more. Well, almost ;-) I've decided who I'm going to work with and have sent them a tonne of photos, with this setting being top of my list. If they can come up with something good, I'll show you! I'm after an open setting, 6 to 8 prongs, scrolls, and set low. Sounds like a couple of the things your looking for as well?

What? Again?! NO!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1338327416|3205755 said:

What? Again?! NO!

Where did you read that Rhea?? No, I have not sold it. Yet :devil: I'm going to see how I wear things longer term and whether I need/want two super blingy bands. I do prefer the three stone -- it is just as blingy, has nice larger facets which are more fun to look at, and I also like the way you can see gold band on either side of the stones; it looks more e-ring like and also is more comfortable. Anyways, no I have not sold it.

And Rhea I can't wait to see! In my heart that is the design for me. My problem is I cannot visualize the final execution -- I know an exact replica is not possible or desired by me, I want some tweaks -- so that is tough to embark on custom. But that is the ring I would love to have on my hand.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1338328617|3205772 said:

What? Again?! NO!

Where did you read that Rhea?? No, I have not sold it. Yet :devil: I'm going to see how I wear things longer term and whether I need/want two super blingy bands. I do prefer the three stone -- it is just as blingy, has nice larger facets which are more fun to look at, and I also like the way you can see gold band on either side of the stones; it looks more e-ring like and also is more comfortable. Anyways, no I have not sold it.

And Rhea I can't wait to see! In my heart that is the design for me. My problem is I cannot visualize the final execution -- I know an exact replica is not possible or desired by me, I want some tweaks -- so that is tough to embark on custom. But that is the ring I would love to have on my hand.

I thought I read it on a 3 stone ring thread in SMTB. I must have read wrong or imagined it. And in my panic I've apparently now started and spread rumours! I've never been much of a gossip, but I think it suits me.

We'll see how my earrings turn out. I've just kinda sent the designer 6 photos of what I like and said I like this and I don't like this, and this is really great but make it different somehow, please. So far the communication has been great, but I suppose we'll see with the drawings/CADs. I think I'm not totally wrapped up in it. My earrings should be about the size of your sidestones, but of course I won't see them all the time so I probably have less heart invested in it than you do with your dream of 5 years coming true :tongue:

I'm so excited for your ring! It looks great on your hand. But I have another vote for unplated white rather than yellow, at least for the prongs. Would you consider a two-tone if you like yellow gold?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1338328617|3205772 said:

What? Again?! NO!

Sister, enough talk. More photos. Chop chop. :rodent:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not forgotten!! Apparently I am supposed to work now, not be online all day long. Yeesh. Demanding employers.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, I am at Disney World and haven't been on PS for several days, but your thread caused me to have to log in to reply!!!

That ring is gorgeous!!! :love: I can't wait to see how you reset it! I love all of the antique design settings! I also love a 1.25 (or so) center for a three stone ring! I am SO happy for you!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks DS! I am very smitted still.

I got the appraisal back on the diamonds. I have not used this appraiser before, but he is the only truly independent guy in our town. Apparently used to teach at GIA, whatever that means ;)) 8) It was a $50 appraisal, nothing fancy, just to see if the stones are about what I think they are.

He thought the key stone is 1.40ct, I color, VS1 clarity! :o
Sides are 0.75ct and 0.80ct, H/I and I/J color, both VS1 clarity.

If these specs are accurate, and I think they very well could be using EGL standards, retail value for the diamonds is about $18k. Frankly, that is insane.

Before I set them I will dismount them and take them to EGL, for curiosity and to have a good papertrail for insurance.

And I might be able to take some pictures this afternoon for the circling sharks!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1338490399|3206853 said:

I got the appraisal back on the diamonds. I have not used this appraiser before, but he is the only truly independent guy in our town. Apparently used to teach at GIA, whatever that means ;)) 8) It was a $50 appraisal, nothing fancy, just to see if the stones are about what I think they are.

If these specs are accurate, and I think they very well could be using EGL standards, retail value for the diamonds is about $18k. Frankly, that is insane.

Before I set them I will dismount them and take them to EGL, for curiosity and to have a good papertrail for insurance.

And I might be able to take some pictures this afternoon for the circling sharks!

GREAT news :appl:

I am so mad at myself more than ever now :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds awesome Dreamer! :appl:

Is he grading though, using GIA standards then? in which case EGL should come back higher on the color grade (assuming they usually are more lenient). Patrick Davis grades by GIA standards, and mine is a J by him. I can see a little warmth compared to my F, but it's hard to tell by glance. And it's faces up white set in platinum. So what I am trying to say is, I don't think you would have any issue if your stones are I/J by GIA standards in a white metal. It will look white!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1338491177|3206859 said:

BI, you have consolation prizes up the Ying Yang...you can't own ALL of the world's purdy diamonds, yanno. ;))

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1338491265|3206861 said:
bright ice|1338491177|3206859 said:

BI, you have consolation prizes up the Ying Yang...you can't own ALL of the world's purdy diamonds, yanno. ;))

I know it. I am very glad for Dreamer on this one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results