shape
carat
color
clarity

Long story - Kay jewelers diamond

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is calling now! They had mentioned my trade in engagement ring is long gone pretty much and I didn’t like the diamond he ended up trying to suprise me with because it looks smaller then I wanted and lack of sparkle I feel likes but now if nothing works I feel like I will ge stuck with this 1.7 carat oval and I hope it’s at least a decent one

I was told years ago by Kay’s that they were required by law to keep trade ins for quite awhile. That may have changed but I am pretty sure that they could come up with the diamond you traded in.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Through corporate? I called James Allen in impulse and they said no ☹️

Kay’s/ JA does not deserve your money. They have $12k of your money and you want to spend another $17k and they said no? This doesn’t even make good business sense.

Leverage your credit card company and try to get your money back.

I am so affronted on your behalf!

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Kay’s/ JA does not deserve your money. They have $12k of your money and you want to spend another $17k and they said no? This doesn’t even make good business sense.

They have 21k (diamond that is shown on top , including my trade in

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
They have 21k (diamond that is shown on top , including my trade in

So the $21k is inclusive of your trade in? So you want to spend 33% more and they can’t get the stone you want. It’s still a ridiculous situation.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
So the $21k is inclusive of your trade in? So you want to spend 33% more and they can’t get the stone you want. It’s still a ridiculous situation.

Nothing they have pulled I love I want a bigger size they haven’t found anything so I told them I want a refund they said no past 30 days (I asked for refund after the 2nd mess up and they said it was past the return window) so I kept trying to find a bigger diamond and it’s been 3 months and nothing

They only let me exchange it for something else or I just keep that 1.7 carat oval diamond (21k)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Nothing they have pulled I love I want a bigger size they haven’t found anything so I told them I want a refund they said no past 30 days (I asked for refund after the 2nd mess up and they said it was past the return window) so I kept trying to find a bigger diamond and it’s been 3 months and nothing

They only let me exchange it for something else or I just keep that 1.7 carat oval diamond (21k)

Document everything as you have already been advised and challenge the charge with your credit card company.

There is no reason to settle. You have been reasonable. Let your credit card company handle it on your behalf.

There is no reason to settle for a stone that you don’t love especially if you have spent $21k plus and are willing to spend more.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
You have 21k at stake, call a lawyer. Kay does not want to lose their commission, so they will get nasty. You do have rights, and not sure Kay has your best interest at heart. If they keep saying "60 day policy" while holding your money AND the diamond you refused, they do have to abide by commerce laws of your state.

Last edited:

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
It isn’t! It’s so frustrating that they won’t do a refund because we exceeded the 30 days but it was their fault. They can only “honor” a 60 day exchange. I am waiting to hear back from corporate

I believe my husband used credit card and his kay card but paid it off already

Call the credit card company anyway. You can pursue disputing the charge. Explain to the card company that the delay is due to Kay’s offering substandard settings to you. Otherwise, what happens if they don’t offer you something you want within this 60 day exchange? You just get stuck with the last diamond they offer you?
Stand your ground with corporate in terms of the refund. Tell them to give you your original diamond and your money back.

Correct, it does not matter if you already paid the charge. Your credit card company can still reverse it. I think this is your best bet, because the cc company is most likely to be in your corner (you are their customer and they want to keep you).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a pretty complicated situation (in my book)...

- you traded in your original stone (they said its long gone, but is it?) How much trade-in value did it give you?
- you paid for the upgrade oval with 2 credit cards...one of your cards and the other is a Kay credit card (how much was on
the Kay card?) The Kay card is paid off.
- they are willing to refund the setting because that's what was screwed up. You didn't have your ring/diamond for how long
due to their screw-up of the setting?
- now they are willing to give you 60 days to change the oval but they dont have any you're interested in. When did/does
the 60 days start/end?

What is your max budget for the new oval including your trade-in? ( I hate that you have to throw more money at Kays).
Just in case you cant get your money back I'm going to post another stone.

What do you think of this stone? Not sure if its in your budget or not. Cost is $20K-ish (yikes). It is an H so it wont be as bright
as the F you had but hopefully still white enough. Posting as a fall-back if you cant get your money back. I would not ask
about the stone until you have exhausted all your attempts at getting your money back.

This is the size difference between it and the 1.71 stone
Screenshot 2024-03-13 091039.png

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

- you traded in your original stone (they said its long gone, but is it?) How much trade-in value did it give you?
- you paid for the upgrade oval with 2 credit cards...one of your cards and the other is a Kay credit card (how much was on
- they are willing to refund the setting because that's what was screwed up. You didn't have your ring/diamond for how long
- now they are willing to give you 60 days to change the oval but they dont have any you're interested in. When did/does
the 60 days start/end?

What is your max budget for the new oval including your trade-in? ( I hate that you have to throw more money at Kays).

What do you think of this stone? Not sure if its in your budget or not. Cost is $20K-ish (yikes). It is an H so it wont be as bright
as the F you had but hopefully still white enough. Posting as a fall-back if you cant get your money back. I would not ask
about the stone until you have exhausted all your attempts at getting your money back.

OMG @tyty333 I feel like I got a gold star from the teacher!

The stone you posted is exactly the one I posted from James Allen!

@alexeliass I can clearly see why they are refusing to bring in the JA stones now. The same stone at JA is $4k cheaper!

I really hope that you can get your original stone back and get fully refunded. Please call your credit cards companies!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
OMG @tyty333 I feel like I got a gold star from the teacher!

The stone you posted is exactly the one I posted from James Allen!

@alexeliass I can clearly see why they are refusing to bring in the JA stones now. The same stone at JA is $4k cheaper!

I really hope that you can get your original stone back and get fully refunded. Please call your credit cards companies!

And demand a price match!

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade

the 60 days start/end?

I’m willing to spend around 30k . Part of me refuses to give them any more money because of this whole situation but then the other feels like I might as well get the size / look I want which is closer to 2.5 carat. Someone said resell on diamonds isn’t good and eventually I would want to upgrade (if I keep the 1.7 oval )
Does that one seem like it’s good if I were to keep?

I like that diamond sooo pretty but the ratio is 1.47 I will still look at it if I have to keep from them but hoping for 1.50-1.55 ratio

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a vid of the 1.7 ct? At first glance, the bowtie seems pronounced.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Do you have a vid of the 1.7 ct? At first glance, the bowtie seems pronounced.

I don’t I think I took a video when I first got it let me try to upload

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, those videos are too far away. Do you have the GIA number? Perhaps, we can find the original vendor video.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I'm still looking for a video link but you may want to look at the fair market price for this stone:

I'm guessing that you paid more than $12.7k?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Correct, it does not matter if you already paid the charge. Your credit card company can still reverse it. I think this is your best bet, because the cc company is most likely to be in your corner (you are their customer and they want to keep you).

Yes, I can confirm my credit card company reversed a paid charge after I won the dispute. It was for a much smaller amount, but I’m assuming Etsy had to eat the cost of the payment that the vendor had gotten already. In other words, the credit card company should be able to help you. Please call that credit card company today.

Also, I would take a step back from working at all with Kay or JA. I would not try to find something adequate from them at all, while your credit card company does what it can do. Ask the credit card company today if you are at all entitled to file a dispute of course (since time has elapsed, but please call a rep today and let them talk you through your possible options).

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you paid for the upgrade oval with 2 credit cards...one of your cards and the other is a Kay credit card (how much was on

I think disputing anything on the Kay's card will be futile, so the question is how much you can dispute with the other card.

Also, was the original setting that you sent back the first time within their return period? I'm not clear on that.

It does seem to me that at least for the amount on the non-Kay credit card you can dispute that charge and should win that one. But make sure you are withing the "dispute period". I do think there is a time limit. Not sure how large of a portion of the new money went to Kay's credit card. Getting that back will be harder. Saying that your original diamond is long gone is interesting. I don't know how to address that.

For all of your aggravation, they certainly should price match the same stones on the JA website and honestly, if you go up the ladder to their corporate offices, I'm sure someone there could authorize it. It's lousy customer service to give you two unacceptable settings, offer unacceptable stones, and then tell you that you're out of the return window. I'm sorry that you're going through this.

You could also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau or a local TV reporter who follows these types of consumer reports. Where I live, one of the local stations gets involved in things like this and seems to be able to resolve them (at least the ones that they broadcast). If you can't work it out with Kay's/JA yourself, I'd consider these options if nothing else works. I'm hoping the majority of the new money was on your non-Kay card as that may be the easiest to resolve. Good luck. I feel your pain.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes, I can confirm my credit card company reversed a paid charge after I won the dispute. It was for a much smaller amount, but I’m assuming Etsy had to eat the cost of the payment that the vendor had gotten already. In other words, the credit card company should be able to help you. Please call that credit card company today.

Also, I would take a step back from working at all with Kay or JA. I would not try to find something adequate from them at all, while your credit card company does what it can do. Ask the credit card company today if you are at all entitled to file a dispute of course (since time has elapsed, but please call a rep today and let them talk you through your possible options).

I didn’t know how he paid but now that I asked I’m not sure if even falling the credit card would be worth it. 8500 was on kay card , 5500k trade in value, cash and the rest on card let’s say I win the credit card dispute but what happens to the kay money? The cash? Only way seems for kay to honor the return. They said they would call in a few days after they “investigate “ and calm the store

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
I didn’t know how he paid but now that I asked I’m not sure if even falling the credit card would be worth it. 8500 was on kay card , 5500k trade in value, cash and the rest on card let’s say I win the credit card dispute but what happens to the kay money? The cash? Only way seems for kay to honor the return. They said they would call in a few days after they “investigate “ and calm the store

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade

Call

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ok, this seems complicated.

I guess the best case scenario is for them to get you the stone you want and price match it.

And, if they don’t work with you, get the cc dispute money and file a claim with the BBB and talk to the local news.

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Have you considered suing them in small claims court for the amount on the Kays card? You'll need to check the small claims monetary limit for your state, but on average it can be anywhere from 5-10k. You don't need a lawyer in small claims, just be sure you have all your facts and documents ready to support your claim. (If you have a lawyer friend or family member it would help even if just to prep you, but again not required.) If your other credit card reversed the charge that may help as evidence in small claims too.

I feel just awful for you, Kays ruined the entire experience! You should be celebrating and excited about getting an upgrade. I'd probably never be able to look at the ring with joy after what they put you through. I hope you get the ring of your dreams and if it is from Kays I hope they make it right so you can put this misery behind you.

ETA: Maybe you're already planning this, but just get the best stone you can if you're stuck with them and go elsewhere to have a bespoke ring made, that may help erase some of this terrible experience and create a happy memory for you.

ETA...Again: Did you sign a contract with Kays? If so, double check that you didn't waive the right to sue, there may be an arbitration requirement. Arbitration is another option but I'd probably prefer small claims, just thinking if you get a judgment small claims is better bet to enforce it against them. Best to do some research first if you have the choice between the two. Good luck!!! Really rooting for you

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results