carat
color
clarity

Long story - Kay jewelers diamond

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Very long story I’m sorry.

So we traded in our original engagement ring to use towards a diamond solitaire. (6k)

We ordered a diamond they messed up on the setting so we sent it back. Waited weeks they sent it back and it was hideous we sent it back back and asked to just restart the process since it was the second time they messed up and at this point 2 months of waiting. Every diamond we have ordered has had a horrible bow tie or isn’t what I’m looking for. My husband has asked for a refund but the store refuses because it’s been over 30days. How can I get out of this should I get a cheap diamond (has to be at least 12k) and sell elsewhere?
** I didn’t know if this or other forums before shopping very naive I know I was just so excited to get my dream ring***
Here’s the original diamond specs I can either keep this or trade it in for another diamond but cannot get a refund they said EE51C73D-64AF-4BA6-9167-C78614A683AC.png

Attachments

• 626A6D51-D0C1-49A8-9F5C-67BE83F3C1C1.png
    626A6D51-D0C1-49A8-9F5C-67BE83F3C1C1.png
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 4E702CB1-0619-407E-BDB7-152D3EA9FD66.jpeg
    4E702CB1-0619-407E-BDB7-152D3EA9FD66.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 54

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Given that they kept messing it up keep pushing for a refund up the corporate ladder.
Did you use a credit card to pay for it? If so talk to them about a charge back.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Given that they kept messing it up keep pushing for a refund up the corporate ladder.
Did you use a credit card to pay for it? If so talk to them about a charge back.

We called they said they would talk to store store called back and just said “sorry we cannot refund the diamond only the mounting “

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
We called they said they would talk to store store called back and just said “sorry we cannot refund the diamond only the mounting “

Call and ask for the store manager.
Calmly explain the facts and dates. It helps to write down the key facts before calling.
If that dont work call the number here: They will probably have to give you another number to call but its a start.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Call and ask for the store manager.
Calmly explain the facts and dates. It helps to write down the key facts before calling.
If that dont work call the number here: They will probably have to give you another number to call but its a start.

That was the store manager ☹️ My husband escalated it and is expecting a call back but store refuses to

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
What about disputing the charge with your credit card company?

I agree with the chargeback approach. Your credit card company will ask if you tried to work it out with the vendor and of course you can honestly say yes because you did try. You did not get what you paid for and I don’t think you’re required to give them unlimited chances to improve while they hold your money hostage. Also, I would argue that your 30 day window starts over again each time they send you a diamond that you do not accept. Otherwise, they get to run out the clock pretty easily.
And then simultaneously, I would suggest tagging their corporate page on Twitter/X, Instagram/Facebook and publicly asking for help with this situation. A public appeal usually gets attention from corporate pretty quickly.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Not sure a credit card company can reverse charges on a store credit. I would quickly contact a lawyer and explore options.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think that would work?

The only issue I see is if you have the diamond in your possession, that complicates the situation. I think if you’ve sent it back and they’re trying to find you a new one, the chargeback would be straightforward. Definitely talk to your credit card company. But simultaneously escalate the issue within corporate and on their Instagram. You want someone with decision-making power to decide forcing you into this transaction is not worth the hassle or public complaint. All you want is to part ways! I think they will give in (eventually).

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
The only issue I see is if you have the diamond in your possession, that complicates the situation. I think if you’ve sent it back and they’re trying to find you a new one, the chargeback would be straightforward. Definitely talk to your credit card company. But simultaneously escalate the issue within corporate and on their Instagram. You want someone with decision-making power to decide forcing you into this transaction is not worth the hassle or public complaint. All you want is to part ways! I think they will give in (eventually).

Thank you so much! Nope they’ve had the ring while trying to find me a new one! It took abiur 2 weeks only because my husband was waiting for after Christmas and New Years to gift it he didn’t want to do it during the holidays I will message via Instagram and Facebook let’s see how it goes!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much! Nope they’ve had the ring while trying to find me a new one! It took abiur 2 weeks only because my husband was waiting for after Christmas and New Years to gift it he didn’t want to do it during the holidays I will message via Instagram and Facebook let’s see how it goes!

And if you don’t actually have the ring, I would definitely contact your credit card company too if you were using it for the purchase.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi guys , we are expecting a call back next week. If they don’t want to give us a refund what do you guys think of the specs of original diamond?or should I ask to exchange for another one ?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys , we are expecting a call back next week. If they don’t want to give us a refund what do you guys think of the specs of original diamond?or should I ask to exchange for another one ?

If it isn’t what you want, don’t settle for it. If you do take it and want to trade it up later on down the road, you will probably have to pay double the original purchase price of this one. Is an oval diamond what you have your heart set on? I just don’t know that Kay Jewelers will offer you one that you would really love. Did you pay them in cash or did you use a credit card? Again, if you used a charge card, contact them and explain this to them and tell them you want to dispute the charge.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you think that would work?

This worked for me on a Etsy dispute with a vendor about misrepresenting a gem. Etsy customer service favored the vendor’s story (they misrepresented almost comically, and Etsy supported them despite my proof). After wasting my time going through the proper Etsy channels numerous times, I called my credit card company once, and it was quick easy and painless. I won the dispute.

So I would start with your credit card company.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
If it isn’t what you want, don’t settle for it. If you do take it and want to trade it up later on down the road, you will probably have to pay double the original purchase price of this one. Is an oval diamond what you have your heart set on? I just don’t know that Kay Jewelers will offer you one that you would really love. Did you pay them in cash or did you use a credit card? Again, if you used a charge card, contact them and explain this to them and tell them you want to dispute the charge.

It isn’t! It’s so frustrating that they won’t do a refund because we exceeded the 30 days but it was their fault. They can only “honor” a 60 day exchange. I am waiting to hear back from corporate

I believe my husband used credit card and his kay card but paid it off already

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It isn’t! It’s so frustrating that they won’t do a refund because we exceeded the 30 days but it was their fault. They can only “honor” a 60 day exchange. I am waiting to hear back from corporate

I believe my husband used credit card and his kay card but paid it off already

Call the credit card company anyway. You can pursue disputing the charge. Explain to the card company that the delay is due to Kay’s offering substandard settings to you. Otherwise, what happens if they don’t offer you something you want within this 60 day exchange? You just get stuck with the last diamond they offer you?
Stand your ground with corporate in terms of the refund. Tell them to give you your original diamond and your money back.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Call the credit card company anyway. You can pursue disputing the charge. Explain to the card company that the delay is due to Kay’s offering substandard settings to you. Otherwise, what happens if they don’t offer you something you want within this 60 day exchange? You just get stuck with the last diamond they offer you?
Stand your ground with corporate in terms of the refund. Tell them to give you your original diamond and your money back.

My husband is calling now! They had mentioned my trade in engagement ring is long gone pretty much and I didn’t like the diamond he ended up trying to suprise me with because it looks smaller then I wanted and lack of sparkle I feel likes but now if nothing works I feel like I will ge stuck with this 1.7 carat oval and I hope it’s at least a decent one

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@alexeliass I'm pasting this from your other thread.

If you have exhausted all your options and can't get your money back, what about a stone from James Allen? I believe Kay's and JA have the same parent company.

I am NOT an oval expert, but this one looked promising...

If either look interesting, perhaps an oval expert can help vet these :)

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
@alexeliass I'm pasting this from your other thread.

If you have exhausted all your options and can't get your money back, what about a stone from James Allen? I believe Kay's and JA have the same parent company.

I am NOT an oval expert, but this one looked promising...

If either look interesting, perhaps an oval expert can help vet these :)

Do you mean I could go over to James Allen? They only “approve” an exchange but I’m assuming it’s within Kay? So I would have to find one from Kay website?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Do you mean I could go over to James Allen? They only “approve” an exchange but I’m assuming it’s within Kay? So I would have to find one from Kay website?

IF you can't a refund, I would push them to get the stone you want. Same parent company.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Here's a Kay's one that is similar spec to the 2.01 carat that I posted (cut still needs to be vetted).

Lower clarity and $3k higher in price.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
IF you can't a refund, I would push them to get the stone you want. Same parent company.

Ok I will try for that! I’m new here is James allen a very good place? Everything is via email with them right?

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here's a Kay's one that is similar spec to the 2.01 carat that I posted (cut still needs to be vetted).

Lower clarity and $3k higher in price.

Thank you! I forgot to mention trying to go bigger then the 1.7 carat like 2.20 + and ratio of 1.50-1.54

Thank you!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I forgot to mention trying to go bigger then the 1.7 carat like 2.20 + and ratio of 1.50-1.54

Thank you!!

There are a lot more options on James Allen! I would identify the stone you want and then push Kay's to get it for you for the JA price.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade

Through corporate? I called James Allen in impulse and they said no ☹️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results