color
clarity

Long hair to pixie cut? Advice wanted.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
missy|1372355595|3473283 said:
ericad|1372346292|3473178 said:
When I was 16, I had hair to my waist and cut it off into a pixie cut in one fell swoop. The day I cut it I cried because it was such a shock (it was the '90s, think Chynna Phillips), but then I wore it short for almost 20 years! Only just this past year have I felt like I wanted to grow it out. It's to my shoulders now (barely) and is more flattering on me because I've gained weight over the years. I'm no longer a size 4, but rather a multiple of 4, lol.

I've always been told (by hairdressers, friends, everyone except my mother, who spent 20 years asking me why I wanted to look like a lesbian, lol) that short hair suits me, and it does. You have to have the bone structure and personality to pull it off. You also have to have a thick skin about it and be prepared for criticism - though we see women with short hair all the time, there's this stigma that goes with it and people will probably say rude and inappropriate things - so you really have to own the decision in order to keep your self esteem intact. Though I always received more compliments than insults.

My favorite thing about having super short hair was that I could do all kinds of fun and crazy things with the color, which kept it interesting and any damage was being cut off every 6 weeks. And I could toggle between messy, spiky, faux-hawk, smooth, etc. depending on my mood.

My least favorite thing about having super short hair is that it's fairly high maintenance, and also that it's a b*tch to grow out if you decide to go long again. I mean really painful. It's taken me a full year to get to where my hair is touching my shoulders, but it's still very layered with some pieces only as long as the tops of my ears. And it passed through a really hideous phase about 6 months ago. Just awful, but I powered through it.

Anyway, good luck with your decision! I personally am a huge fan of short hair on women - I'm not one for doing anything the traditional way and just love the look, but it takes guts.

Erica, I saw a picture of you posted on PS with your short do and I have to comment how gorgeous you look with short hair!!!

Awww, thanks missy!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^LOVE that!

Saved to my own hair folder for after the weddin'

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HotPozzum|1372370925|3473413 said:
Mmmm some great replies and advice. So sounds like 1. I need a great trusted stylist which I DONT have ;( and 2. It will need frequent trims to maintain (although my hair does grow rather slowly).

I have quite thin, fine very straight hair but quite a lot of it so Im not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing!? :confused:

Yes I do care what my husband thinks, obviously i want him to still be attracted to me! I'm only young <30 and slim so again hoping thats in my favour.

What I dont want to look like is a boy or (forgive the expression) "butch". :errrr:

Looking at lots of photos online - what do you think of this one? (Obviously brunette though)

HI:

I wear my hair like this--never longer than the blonde on the photo...since there are variations of this style. The length of the hair in the photo is great--lots of things you can do with it...you just need a good brush and styling products. Like you I favour 60's style clothing and this hair style compliments that look--scarves....or some teasing on the crown...or tucked behind the ears...

I opt for layers since I have heavy thick hair...a bob just doesn't do it for me anymore. Too much weight dragging my hair down and flat.

It takes a bit of prep to get it looking good, but not a day goes by where I don't have someone stating the "love my hair". But partly is the shade of blonde my stylist provides....

A drastic alteration to the length may be a huge shock for you--(apparently) you don't know how attached you are to your hair until it is gone! Good thing is...it grows back.

cheers--Sharon

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also have completely straight, fine hair (but a lot of it) and a pixie works really well for it. I do think you need a bit more length than a true pixie if you want to keep bangs, though-otherwise it could be strange.

One way to find a good stylist is to approach women with short hair that you like and ask who cuts their hair.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1372427527|3473661 said:

One way to find a good stylist is to approach women with short hair that you like and ask who cuts their hair.

this is the best way to find a good stylist no matter one's hair length, imo.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^That's great advice - keep your eye out for women in your area with hair that you like and ask them who they use. In the process, I'm sure that they would be flattered by the compliment too :)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Long hair to pixie cut? Advice wanted. UPDATED

Wish me luck! I'm heading to the hairdresser in less than an hour for a consultation. If all goes well and i like the stylist, I'll book it in for when my hubby is away. Figured if I'm going to shock him, I might as well make it a complete suprise! :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Long hair to pixie cut? Advice wanted. UPDATED

HotPozzum|1372726065|3475731 said:
Wish me luck! I'm heading to the hairdresser in less than an hour for a consultation. If all goes well and i like the stylist, I'll book it in for when my hubby is away. Figured if I'm going to shock him, I might as well make it a complete suprise! :lol:
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

yay cant wait!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahaha ohhh yes, definitely a surprise is the way to go, lots more fun that way. Mine didn't talk to me for a few hours after I came home, but he seems to be somewhat used to it now. I hope you like the stylist and take the plunge!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I'm baaaaaaaaaaack! :wavey:

Stylist was lovely and just sat down and really took me seriously. We spent about 30 mins looking at the photos and she played with my hair to figure our texture and weight etc.

She was quite clear about what will & wont work for me and how much daily styling & maintainence I would need to do. I think she understood that it's taken a long time to grow my hair and I'm a teensy bit scared to chop it off. :lol:

She completely warned me off a pixie cut :-o Said it was a VERY big change and often looked very "boyish". Recommended I stick with a soft short bob with funky layers to give a more feminine look. She herself had a pixie cut last year and said it took a LONG TIME to grow out if I didnt like it ie. 8-12 months of hating your hair! :errrr:

Pic below is absolute shortest i would now go but gives you an idea of the layers etc.

morena_baccarin_short_hairstyles_layered_razor_aoonevroxztl.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little longer but still layered. Like this one a lot too.

elle-short-hair-styles-elisabeth-moss--xln-lgn.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you found yourself a good stylist! Can't wait to hear about the finished new look!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So is it done yet? :naughty: I did a pixie cut once and although everyone raved about it, even total strangers, I didn't feel that it was "me". I am speaking as a person who enjoyed super short cropped hairstyles as a teenager and considered it a compliment to be mistaken as male then. Although hair grows back, it takes longer when there isn't much there to begin with. In addition, it will require endless trimming while growing out to make it look somewhat decent.

I like the first picture as it looks stylish, upbeat yet soft and feminine. The second looks boring and dare I say, not put together.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1372740515|3475843 said:

Stylist was lovely and just sat down and really took me seriously. We spent about 30 mins looking at the photos and she played with my hair to figure our texture and weight etc.

She was quite clear about what will & wont work for me and how much daily styling & maintainence I would need to do. I think she understood that it's taken a long time to grow my hair and I'm a teensy bit scared to chop it off. :lol:

She completely warned me off a pixie cut :-o Said it was a VERY big change and often looked very "boyish". Recommended I stick with a soft short bob with funky layers to give a more feminine look. She herself had a pixie cut last year and said it took a LONG TIME to grow out if I didnt like it ie. 8-12 months of hating your hair! :errrr:

Pic below is absolute shortest i would now go but gives you an idea of the layers etc.

Just to play the devil's advocate, I have had a few stylists over the years warn me not to try a pixie cut. I listened to them because I was scared and instead went for a short'ish cut like the ones you've posted. While some of the styles were nice enough, they never satisfied my strong desire to have a true pixie cut. And once I finally took the plunge with a hairdresser who fully supported my decision, I discovered that I absolutely love it. Sure, it will be a pain should I decide to grow it out, but I don't agree that it will be 8-12 months of hating my hair. Actually, I think there are all kinds of cute hairstyles one can try as it grows out. There might be some awkward stages, but having grown out short haircuts in the past, it's not all that terrible. Anyway, certainly don't do it if you think you might regret it, but if you've had a strong desire to give it a try, it's possible that nothing else will fully scratch that itch. It can't hurt to go in stages, though. If you do ever decide to give it a try, I would definitely recommend going with a stylist who thinks it's a great idea. I sometimes wonder if stylists are hesitant to do it because they are fearful of their client's reaction. I know my stylist wouldn't have done it on me had I just walked in off the street -- it was only because I'd been talking about it for a year that she felt comfortable. Anyway, good luck and can't wait to hear what you decide to do!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demelza|1372790160|3476103 said:
HotPozzum|1372740515|3475843 said:

Just to play the devil's advocate, I have had a few stylists over the years warn me not to try a pixie cut. I listened to them because I was scared and instead went for a short'ish cut like the ones you've posted. While some of the styles were nice enough, they never satisfied my strong desire to have a true pixie cut. And once I finally took the plunge with a hairdresser who fully supported my decision, I discovered that I absolutely love it. Sure, it will be a pain should I decide to grow it out, but I don't agree that it will be 8-12 months of hating my hair. Actually, I think there are all kinds of cute hairstyles one can try as it grows out. There might be some awkward stages, but having grown out short haircuts in the past, it's not all that terrible. Anyway, certainly don't do it if you think you might regret it, but if you've had a strong desire to give it a try, it's possible that nothing else will fully scratch that itch. It can't hurt to go in stages, though. If you do ever decide to give it a try, I would definitely recommend going with a stylist who thinks it's a great idea. I sometimes wonder if stylists are hesitant to do it because they are fearful of their client's reaction. I know my stylist wouldn't have done it on me had I just walked in off the street -- it was only because I'd been talking about it for a year that she felt comfortable. Anyway, good luck and can't wait to hear what you decide to do!

And regardless of whether you go with the pixie cut or the longer length option your FIRST reaction is likely to be a knee-jerk one. Don't be surprised if you freak out the first time you look in the mirror at the salon only to find you LOVE your new look a week (or even a month) later once the shock has worn off.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree. I didn't go all the way to pixie this time around, and when I first saw it I thought aw crap I'm a shorter version of the Long Island Medium. My hands were shaking and I had a hard time keeping my voice normal b/c it was such an odd sensation, seeing my mouth move in the mirror and hearing my voice but having no clue who the person was that was talking. When I played w/it the next day I liked it more. And then the next day even more. That was last Tuesday and I don't plan on growing my hair out ever again. And I'll go shorter next time just to see what it's all about. When we got done, my stylist was about jumping up and down she was so excited and she said she's been wanting to do this ever since I first came in 18 months ago.

Your initial reaction will probably be ohhh holy crap what'd I just DO? But you need to play w/it and make it your own, and rock it. And in the end, it's just hair, it will grow back. That's part of the fun of being a girl, right, getting to play and try new things out?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I had a pixie cut done once. I hated it. I think it largely depends on the skill of the stylist too. I think pixie cuts can look feminine and cut but I looked like she gave me a little boys's haircut. Took forever to grow out. Won't do it again.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I like both of the cuts you posted, HotPozzum!

I went from shoulder blade length to the Elizabeth Moss length, then a a couple of weeks later I went for the pixie! I'm not sure I really suited it, but I LOVED it, so it didn't matter! No one could talk me out of it, I was determined to see how I'd look for myself. Having short hair is really fun, and it can feel really feminine and Audrey Hepburn-esque! I wound up giving myself a number 4 all over, I loved short hair that much.

Growing it out is a pain, but thats true no matter what length your hair is when you are trying to grow it!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I chopped off my long hair over 15 years ago and stayed short ever since. I tried super short, bob, layered, wavy, straight, colored, high-lighted, you name it. You can still create many different styles with short hair. Having said that, nice looking short hair style needs maintained. I visit the salon once every 4-6 weeks to revive the original crisp stylish look. It maybe just me, but I find the shorter I go the more make up I need to put on to go with the look.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys are the best - so encouraging! :appl:

I keep alternating between totally gung-ho and chickening out over it. :lol: I have an appt at the same hairdresser in 3 weeks to give a little more time to decide and grow my fringe out too.

At the moment I am thinking of this cut - a cute short bob (see pic) and then if I like it I can always go shorter. Also so hubby doesnt come home and find a "bald" wife and hate it... :shock:

imagescalghqf3.jpg

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
OK, I've sat on my keyboard long enough. Now I just have to chime in on this discussion. I can't bear it a moment longer.

In a parallel universe, I'm a hairdresser and image consultant. I'm good at analyzing the whole package. Now, I'm horrified by the idea of a pixie cut because out of the 3bn women in the world, about 500k look good with a pixie cut. Ignore all the "compliments" that you get with shorter hair. I get compliments when I put on weight, too. And I can't tell you how many people have "advised" me that I'd look good with short, dark hair despite the fact that I'm English, naturally fair, and dark hair makes me look like the coat check girl at the Gates of Hell. One woman went so far as to ask me "when" I was going to get rid of my long, dark-blonde hair. There's only room for one Rapunzel in the room, geddit? If your hair is as amazing and sexy as that first picture that you posted, I'd compliment the hell out of your plans to look like Robbie the Little League champion, too.

My hair is naturally the mousiest, most boring mid-brown ever, and it's also extremely frizzy. My un-coiffed state is to look like Doris from Fame, the TV series. But my home hair colouring techniques and my round brush created the look in this link. I post this so you can see I know a little of what I'm talking about when it comes to hair. It's not a bad result for a home job on dark, frizzy hair: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/princess-kates-earrings-links-of-london.188415/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/princess-kates-earrings-links-of-london.188415/[/URL]

Since you haven't posted a picture of yourself, we can't see if you'd look good with a pixie cut. Are you absolutely stunning? Do people bruise themselves on lamp-posts when you walk by? Do you have abnormally large eyes, a la Audrey Hepburn? Are you in possession of dangerous, "cut-yourself" cheekbones like Halle Berry? In profile, does the tip of your chin line up with the tip of your nose in a straight line? If not, then I'm sorry, but someone's got to tell you: A pixie cut is more likely to make you look like Chandler from Friends than anything else.

According to your first photo, your hair is incredibly long, wavy, sexy and beautiful. It really is hard to imagine that short hair would look better than that. It sounds as if you're just hankering for a change. It would take YEARS to get your hair back to how it is now, factoring in trims, if you don't like it. Why not buy a short wig, and try it out first? You can get a very natural-looking one for about $50. Wigs are a fantastic way to change up your look without any commitment. It's a great pity they fell out of fashion. I went for lunch with a girlfriend a couple of years ago and I complimented her hair, which looked completely like her own except it was smoother and wavier than usual. She said, "Actually, it's a wig!" Nowadays, they can really look good. You should try it for your short hair!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1372371519|3473419 said:
^^LOVE that!

Saved to my own hair folder for after the weddin'

But Niel, if you are having your longer style for your wedding and only cutting it off after the cameras stop rolling, then on some level you must know that longer hair looks better on you. Why would you cut your hair off after marriage when it looks so nice? :confused:

My sister has got the most amazing hair colour, which she got from our grandfather and which I missed out on. It's thick, wavy, and strawberry-gold. She has always favoured short hair. The only time she has ever allowed it to be seen in all its glory is when she was getting worried that her boyfriend of many years wasn't going to propose. Then, it was almost down to her waist. I've pictures of her with this rope of wavy burnished gold cascading over her shoulders and all down her back - never seen anything so beautiful. Then it got a little shorter for the wedding - but still long. Then after the wedding....it was to the gallows for that hair. She's had ear-length mom-hair for the seventeen years ever since, and her husband hates it, compared to what it could be like if she let it grow wild and free! So sad! If I had hair like that, I'd have it down to my sodding feet!

As the owner of extremely "blah" dish-water-coloured frizzy hair, I have to work really hard with my brush, my hairdryer and my colouring kits to get it to look pretty. So it pains me to hear of all these short-hair plans! Maybe because I know I'd look just awful with that kind of hair. :))

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I was in camp pixie cut without even knowing what you look like, but now I've seen a photo?

I'm REALLY in camp pixie cut! You've totally got the face for it. (You are babe supreme, HotPozzum!)

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Chewbacca|1373000632|3477505 said:
I was in camp pixie cut without even knowing what you look like, but now I've seen a photo?

I'm REALLY in camp pixie cut! You've totally got the face for it. (You are babe supreme, HotPozzum!)

DITTO!!! Seriously, a pixie cut would look AMAZING on you! And I am NOT just saying that -- you would look absolutely fantastic with super short hair! I really hope you consider giving it a try, but I do think you need to find a stylist who supports your decision and feels excited about the cut.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demelza|1373002960|3477510 said:

DITTO!!! Seriously, a pixie cut would look AMAZING on you! And I am NOT just saying that -- you would look absolutely fantastic with super short hair! I really hope you consider giving it a try, but I do think you need to find a stylist who supports your decision and feels excited about the cut.

Thritto! A pixie cut was made for you! You have the perfect bone structure and features for a shorter cut! You are gorgeous no matter the cut but I bet anything that a pixie cut or something similar would really be gorgeous on you...beautiful!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1373022007|3477550 said:
Demelza|1373002960|3477510 said:

Thritto! A pixie cut was made for you! You have the perfect bone structure and features for a shorter cut! You are gorgeous no matter the cut but I bet anything that a pixie cut or something similar would really be gorgeous on you...beautiful!!!

Pixie! I really do think that hairdresser might be pushing her style on you. Saying it looks too boyish and whatnot.

Do it. Then buy a bunch of barrettes and drop earrings.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thin hair and a pixie cut: is your scalp going to show?
I have been told I have a thick head of hair.
unfortunately, its also baby fine so when I put it up I have to be careful otherwise my scalp may show.
just a thought......

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I saw your photo, Pozzum. WOW! You are gorgeous!

I totally think that you could carry off a pixie cut. You have striking yet feminine features, stand-out eyes and a defined jawline. This would definitely work on you, I think.

You look a lot like Audrey Tatou. You should Google pictures of her with a pixie cut.

You say that your hair takes forever to grow. Mine, too. It's taken many years to get it down to my bra strap. For this reason, I still think it would be best if you could try on a short wig first.

And although I think you could absolutely carry it off, I still think that your very long hair is much sexier and more beautiful than a pixie. Just my opinion.

I like Niel's idea of getting lots of drop earrings to go with a pixie cut. Maybe cute headbands, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results