shape
carat
color
clarity

Long hair over 50?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
As to my opinion on how long hair looks on an older woman, I have to say I think it really and truly just depends. Of course we women get tired of having our looks policed and nitpicked and your look is always up to you and you alone. However, since you're asking, I'd think the thing to avoid is just that look of "trying too hard" - of a sixty-year-old trying to look like a twenty-year-old, though that too is vague and subjective.

As an extreme example, I'm thinking of a woman I used to run into in the grocery store now and then. She was always very done up. From the back, she looked like a young va-va-voom, hotsy-totsy, turning heads with her long, thick, flowing hair, stilettoes, short and tight dress. Then she'd turn around and gain half a century. It was very jarring.

But I also see older women with long or longer hair daily who look nice with it. Personally, I try to keep up on my appearance reasonably but just avoid what I'd consider the extremes. For me, no clothes that are very short, low cut or tight but I don't have to wear a flour sack, either. I use a bit lighter makeup and hair colors than when I was younger because now I think those colors look too harsh on me. My hair has thinned too much to look good long but I occasionally wear longer wigs.

I wish there was a site where you could post your look and have people honestly weigh in on it.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
The image for pricescope.jpg This was my hair two years ago in a bob.I had it cut into a very short pixie. Now I'm thinking of going back to my bob=)2

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
As to my opinion on how long hair looks on an older woman, I have to say I think it really and truly just depends. Of course we women get tired of having our looks policed and nitpicked and your look is always up to you and you alone. However, since you're asking, I'd think the thing to avoid is just that look of "trying too hard" - of a sixty-year-old trying to look like a twenty-year-old, though that too is vague and subjective.

As an extreme example, I'm thinking of a woman I used to run into in the grocery store now and then. She was always very done up. From the back, she looked like a young va-va-voom, hotsy-totsy, turning heads with her long, thick, flowing hair, stilettoes, short and tight dress. Then she'd turn around and gain half a century. It was very jarring.

But I also see older women with long or longer hair daily who look nice with it. Personally, I try to keep up on my appearance reasonably but just avoid what I'd consider the extremes. For me, no clothes that are very short, low cut or tight but I don't have to wear a flour sack, either. I use a bit lighter makeup and hair colors than when I was younger because now I think those colors look too harsh on me. My hair has thinned too much to look good long but I occasionally wear longer wigs.

I wish there was a site where you could post your look and have people honestly weigh in on it.

Gosh........that could be scary!:oops2: I dread to think of the comments I might receive!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair has thinned too much to look good long but I occasionally wear longer wigs.

Oh I’d love it if you’d share your favorite brands. And yes to your entire post.

@Made in London. Gorgeous ❤️ That color. The style. Beautiful.

The image for pricescope.jpg This was my hair two years ago in a bob.I had it cut into a very short pixie. Now I'm thinking of going back to my bob=)2

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I’d love it if you’d share your favorite brands. And yes to your entire post.

@Made in London. Gorgeous ❤ That color. The style. Beautiful.
[/QUOTE
Thank you missy! I bought a couple of Raquel Welch wigs in a curly bob style to see if I still liked that length on me.Although the wigs are high quality & hand made with natural hairlines,I can't help but feel they look "wiggy":(2 Anyone else tried fashion wigs for fun?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone else tried fashion wigs for fun?

Yes. I have a HH Shuly and a number of synthetic wigs. I haven’t tried them on for a while but also couldn’t seem to get them to look natural on me. I plan on trying again. Just working up the energy lol.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. I have a HH Shuly and a number of synthetic wigs. I haven’t tried them on for a while but also couldn’t seem to get them to look natural on me. I plan on trying again. Just working up the energy lol.

I wonder if it's a "mind" thing with wigs? I just went to the bathroom to try on the Raquel Welch If you dare style.I popped a wide burgandy velvet hairband on with it & Voila! It actually looks really good! All it needed was the wide hairband to make it work :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Made in London here’s the HH Shuly. I wore it home from the salon and never wore it again lol. About 2 plus years ago.

26B8F499-A9A4-4C8C-A70D-E1876CD6E44E.jpeg

Oh and this green wig I did wear out. Only wig I ever wore in public haha.

B0ED2E70-983A-4A8A-BFAB-378432127523.jpeg

It’s not as easy as it looks imo to wear wigs comfortably and successfully. But I am not giving up. Just took a bit of a (2 year) break so far.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
@Made in London here’s the HH Shuly. I wore it home from the salon and never wore it again lol. About 2 plus years ago.

It’s not as easy as it looks imo to wear wigs comfortably and successfully. But I am not giving up. Just took a bit of a (2 year) break so far.

Seriously,that Shuly looks amazing on you!!!!!! I would never,ever have known that it was a wig! That has just proved my theory that it IS a mind thing:cool2:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, Missy. As for the wigs, I don't use any one brand. I just google "wigs" and start looking through the top few sites that pop up.

A few things I've learned, though, if anyone is considering trying wigs:

The wigs all seem to come from China and returns are next to impossible.

It's best to not skip the step of requesting the color samples. The $10 or whatever they cost will go towards your purchase if you place an order and it's hard to determine what the shades look like on you from photos.

If you google the name and brand of a specific wig that looks promising, you can often find the same one cheaper on a different site.

And you can often find where someone has put up a video of them trying on that specific wig on YouTube.

I buy wigs with the open weave caps. Then I buy a package of hair clips in a shade close to the wig's shade and clip the wig firmly onto my head. Otherwise, the wig always feels like it's popped up on my head and I keep tugging on it.

Also, if possible, look for wigs that include "baby hairs." Those are the few small hairs that are on the fringes of one's own head and they make a wig look more natural.

The sunthetic hair is fine (for me, anyway). It has come way up in quality from earlier days and I think it looks completely real. But sometimes it can have a bit of extra shine that doesn't look real. You can put a little talcum powder on it to get rid of that. The synthetic hair also keeps its shape well without curling irons etc. (which would probably melt it anyway lol) whereas the real human hair, besides costing a ton of money, does not. But be especially careful of getting things out of the oven etc. with a synthetic wig on!

Being able to wear wings without feeling like I had a lampshade on my head took effort. It reminded me of being very young and first wearing a bra or makeup and feeling like everyone was staring at you lol. I suggest starting out with a wig that is close to the appearance of your current hair length, color etc. Then wear it around the house at first, then for short outings, until it becomes second nature. (With many wigs, you can also just keep your real hair down rather than having to bother with pinning it up).

Wigs can be itchy. All I've figured out for the itchiness so far is taking a Benadryl capsule.

Clip-ons are also nice and an easy entry for those who aren't used to wearing wigs. You just need enough hair for a teeny ponytail that the clip-on can grip (though I know you, Missy, don't have that problem). There's also Toppik or similar in one's hair shade to conceal thin spots on the scalp. It's better for a clip-on to be a little lighter than your hair color than darker. That way, it just looks like the natural difference of the ends having been lightened a bit by the sun etc.

Or, go to a wig shop and have them help you in person. I went to one at first and walked out with two wigs about twenty minutes later. The lady knew her stuff so well that what she picked out for me to try on was just right. It cost more though, since there's all that overhead that an online shop doesn't have.

In some cases of thinning hair, health insurance will pay for wigs. It didn't work for me but it's worth a try! (the medical terms are alopecia and crainial prosthetic).

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

I would not know that is a wig! The brown one looks good too;)2

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if it's a "mind" thing with wigs? I just went to the bathroom to try on the Raquel Welch If you dare style.I popped a wide burgandy velvet hairband on with it & Voila! It actually looks really good! All it needed was the wide hairband to make it work :)

I have found that, too. Wearing a hairband etc. does make a difference.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Missy. As for the wigs, I don't use any one brand. I just google "wigs" and start looking through the top few sites that pop up. A few things I've learned, though:

The wigs all seem to come from China and returns are next to impossible.

It's best to not skip the step of requesting the color samples. The $10 or whatever they cost will go towards your purchase if you place an order and it's hard to determine what the shades look like on you from photos.

If you google the name and brand of a specific wig that looks promising, you can often find the same one cheaper on a different site.

And you can often find where someone has put up a video of them trying on that specific wig on YouTube.

I buy wigs with the open weave caps. Then I buy a package of hair clips in a shade close to the wig's shade and clip the wig firmly onto my head. Otherwise, the wig always feels like it's popped up on my head and I keep tugging on it.

Also, if possible, look for wigs that include "baby hairs." Those are the few small hairs that are on the fringes of one's own head and they make a wig look more natural.

The fake hair is fine (for me, anyway). It has come way up in quality from earlier days and I think it looks completely real. But sometimes it can have a bit of extra shine that doesn't look real. You can put a little talcum powder on it to get rid of that. The fake hair also keeps its shape well without curling irons etc. (which would probably melt it anyway lol) whereas the real human hair, besides costing a ton of money, does not. But be especially careful of getting things out of the oven etc. with a fake hair wig on!

Being able to wear wings without feeling like I had a lampshade on my head took effort. It reminded me of being very young and first wearing a bra or makeup and feeling like everyone was staring at you lol. I suggest starting out with a wig that is close to the appearance of your current hair length, color etc. Then wear it around the house at first, then for short outings, until it becomes second nature. (With many wigs, you can also just keep your real hair down rather than having to bother with pinning it up).

Wigs can be itchy. All I've figured out for the itchiness so far is taking a Benadryl capsule.

Clip-ons are also nice and an easy entry for those who aren't used to wearing wigs. You just need enough hair for a teeny ponytail that the clip-on can grip (though I know you, Missy, don't have that problem). There's also Toppik or similar in one's hair shade to conceal thin spots on the scalp. It's better for a clip-on to be a little lighter than your hair color than darker. That way, it just looks like the natural difference of the ends having been lightened a bit by the sun etc.

Or, go to a wig shop and have them help you in person. I went to one at first and walked out with two wigs about twenty minutes later. The lady knew her stuff so well that what she picked out for me to try on was just right. It cost more though, since there's all that overhead that an online shop doesn't have.

In some cases of thinning hair, health insurance will pay for wigs. It didn't work for me but it's worth a try! (the medical terms are alopecia and crainial prosthetic).

Thanks @seaurchin, good info. I cannot do clip ins personally (or toppers) because my hair is too fragile and damaged and very very thin. But it is a good alternative for many especially before getting into full wigs. I am with you re itchy. I am super sensitive to anything touching my body including my head. Makes wig wearing even more challenging. A wig cap can help and IMO a wig grip is critical too.

If there was enough interest it would be fun to start a wig thread. I own wigs by Belle Madame (good for petite heads like mine) Rene of Paris, Envy, Ellen Wille (also good for smaller size heads)..to name a few.

It would be fun to chat about styles and fit and how to make them work if there were some people who were interested.

I would not know that is a wig! The brown one looks good too;)2

Haha, thanks dear @Begonia ;-)
The green one kept popping up and I kept pulling it down. Someone actually did think I dyed my hair. And that was before he started drinking lol. The rooting helps. :lol:

Seriously,that Shuly looks amazing on you!!!!!! I would never,ever have known that it was a wig! That has just proved my theory that it IS a mind thing:cool2:

Aww thanks. But that was right after I left the Shuly salon. I cannot reproduce that fit or look. But to be fair I haven't tried in a couple of years so maybe I will have better luck when I try again. Most of my wigs are in Brooklyn so when I go back to get some things I will bring back some wigs to play with and have fun.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @seaurchin, good info. I cannot do clip ins personally (or toppers) because my hair is too fragile and damaged and very very thin. But it is a good alternative for many especially before getting into full wigs. I am with you re itchy. I am super sensitive to anything touching my body including my head. Makes wig wearing even more challenging. A wig cap can help and IMO a wig grip is critical too.

If there was enough interest it would be fun to start a wig thread. I own wigs by Belle Madame (good for petite heads like mine) Rene of Paris, Envy, Ellen Wille (also good for smaller size heads)..to name a few.

It would be fun to chat about styles and fit and how to make them work if there were some people who were interested.

Haha, thanks dear @Begonia ;-)
The green one kept popping up and I kept pulling it down. Someone actually did think I dyed my hair. And that was before he started drinking lol. The rooting helps. :lol:

Aww thanks. But that was right after I left the Shuly salon. I cannot reproduce that fit or look. But to be fair I haven't tried in a couple of years so maybe I will have better luck when I try again. Most of my wigs are in Brooklyn so when I go back to get some things I will bring back some wigs to play with and have fun.

It would be great fun to do a wig thread, & all things related to wigs.I'm up for posting some wig pictures.. I have wig shampoos,conditioners,special combs,caps etc.Sounds like a lot of fun!=)2

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm 52 and have long hair. I do look better with long hair. Part of the reason is that after age four, my mother did not allow me to have long hair, it never went past my shoulders. I'm still rebelling. It's also become wavy, more pronounced in the back, and I think it's pretty. It's healthy, I have no split ends, but I do usually go for a trim every four to six months. I also don't look my age. My man friends have told me my hair is sexy.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your hair is gorgeous, and would probably look good no matter how you cut it! And, to be honest, I think that lovely smile is more important than the haircut anyway!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be great fun to do a wig thread, & all things related to wigs.I'm up for posting some wig pictures.. I have wig shampoos,conditioners,special combs,caps etc.Sounds like a lot of fun!=)2

I didn't think there would be interest here but since you're game I will start a thread and we shall see. :sun:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I haven't had mid back length hair since I was a kid. Truth be told long straight hair just doesn't suit me. Hence I've usually had the short bob with a long swoopy bang.

I did let my hair grow out with Covid--shoulder length-ish. I bought a $20 curling iron and have been creatiing different curling styles. I like it! But I notice the longer it gets, it matts. Matts=no good.

I don't equate age with any particular (rules about) hair length. Wear what you like--and if you cut it, it always grows back!

cheers--Sharon

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of older women with very short, masculine style hair cuts here which I feel has almost the opposite effect desired....

hmmm...

as an older woman with a “very short, masculine style hair cut,” I guess I should be concerned that I’m not sending out the right signals, or something?

I don’t have either the time or patience to try to please/attract anyone who is more concerned about my appearance than my character.

What I really want from my hairstyle these days is that it fit my face and my life style. I’ve put in my time trying to get decades of shoulder-length bobs to look “professional” as I was rushing to get ready for work in the morning. A few years ago my hair went through a sudden thinning and I went back to a pixie cut, and I haven’t looked back. I did end up with a bob again after five or six month without a proper haircut - fortunately I was able to keep the nape trimmed on my own - but I was happy to return to my short cut when the hair salons re-opened.

I just returned home after five weeks of traversing the country in a small plane and (mostly) under-wing camping. My short cut was perfect for this adventure!

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
When my hair was short i had cows licks which i just hated
long hair gives a bit of weight to straighten it out

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmmm...

as an older woman with a “very short, masculine style hair cut,” I guess I should be concerned that I’m not sending out the right signals, or something?

I don’t have either the time or patience to try to please/attract anyone who is more concerned about my appearance than my character.

What I really want from my hairstyle these days is that it fit my face and my life style. I’ve put in my time trying to get decades of shoulder-length bobs to look “professional” as I was rushing to get ready for work in the morning. A few years ago my hair went through a sudden thinning and I went back to a pixie cut, and I haven’t looked back. I did end up with a bob again after five or six month without a proper haircut - fortunately I was able to keep the nape trimmed on my own - but I was happy to return to my short cut when the hair salons re-opened.

I just returned home after five weeks of traversing the country in a small plane and (mostly) under-wing camping. My short cut was perfect for this adventure!

Totally understand and as I said it’s what suits you regardless of age! Think I mean, what baffles me is WHY so many women have short hair when they are older? Is it just for practical matters? Do they feel pressured to do it? I’ve had both pixie & long hair so do i understand the daily differences.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock

Your hair looks like it suits you in this photo and it looks beautiful and elegant.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally understand and as I said it’s what suits you regardless of age! Think I mean, what baffles me is WHY so many women have short hair when they are older? Is it just for practical matters? Do they feel pressured to do it? I’ve had both pixie & long hair so do i understand the daily differences.

I think it is as others have said. Multifactorial. One reason being one's hair could get thinner due to menopause and other hormonal issues and cutting it short is the best solution for it to look its best. Despite perhaps not wanting short hair. These days I feel most women don't bend to societal rules about age and hair but some of us have to make the best of the hair we have. I know I prefer long hair but my hair isn't cooperating and is too thin to be long now and in fact I am debating cutting it much shorter hoping it will look less scraggly. Despite knowing I look better with longer hair. Just facing (my) facts.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is as others have said. Multifactorial. One reason being one's hair could get thinner due to menopause and other hormonal issues and cutting it short is the best solution for it to look its best. Despite perhaps not wanting short hair. These days I feel most women don't bend to societal rules about age and hair but some of us have to make the best of the hair we have. I know I prefer long hair but my hair isn't cooperating and is too thin to be long now and in fact I am debating cutting it much shorter hoping it will look less scraggly. Despite knowing I look better with longer hair. Just facing (my) facts.

My hair is thinning due to the menopause & I'm hoping when it grows that I can still style some volume into it.I use root boosting mousse plus volumizing spray while it's still damp.Then I dry it upside down & finally put in some large velcro rollers for half an hour

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair is thinning due to the menopause & I'm hoping when it grows that I can still style some volume into it.I use root boosting mousse plus volumizing spray while it's still damp.Then I dry it upside down & finally put in some large velcro rollers for half an hour

I am glad that works for you!

All the products I use are sulfate etc free and gentle for fragile hair. I wash my hair every other day gently detangling in the shower (but I lose so much each time) and then I let it air dry. I use Ouidad styling gel and gently scrunch it (to absorb water and encourage curling) with my DH's clean T shirts. That's all I do. The less the better for my fragile hair.

This was my hair just a few years ago. Thinning but not too bad and due to the curly nature easier to disguise than straight hair thinning I think.

missybackofhair.png

And just last year. Still not that evident but I know.
You can see how sparse it is at the ends.

missyhairincar.png

Now I cannot wear it down IMO so I always wear it back or in a ponytail. And when I cannot do that anymore I will shave it.

I started the wig thread by the way. :)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results