shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's wig out together :)

Would you wear alternative hair?

• 1. Sure it could be fun.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • 2. Sure if I start losing my hair it's a good alternative.

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • 3. Maybe, I am not sure.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • 4. Never.

Votes: 4 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starting this thread as an offshoot from the over 50 and long hair thread. There was some discussion about wigs and we thought we'd start a thread to see if there was any interest in sharing alternative hair.
@Made in London
@seaurchin

calvinandhobbeshair.jpg

Wigs and Toppers can be a great adjunct to one's wardrobe especially if one has thinning hair. Or just for fun.
Have you ever worn alternative hair? Can you share any tips or wisdom from your experience?

Care to share your hair?

:sun:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll start.

There are 2 different types of alternative hair. Human hair and synthetic hair. You also can have a mix of the two.

Then there's heat defiant synthetic hair (which tangles way more easily) that you can apply heat to and change the style and non heat defiant. All HH can be styled of course just like your own natural hair.

Synthetic has some pros to it. The style stays so you wash and it dries perfectly.
Human hair breathes better and might look more natural though with the newer synthetic wigs it is pretty amazing how natural they feel and look. Human hair is more maintenance though but lasts longer generally than synthetic hair if you take care of it. Human hair is more expensive than synthetic hair.

One critical factor for wigs is head circumference and ear to ear measurement and nape to top of head measurement. Wigs have to fit right to look natural and feel comfortable.

There's a wide range of variety and one can really have fun with alternative hair.
I have a number of synthetic wigs and one human hair wig. I got them about 2 plus years ago. But never really tried making them work so they haven't been worn out or even inside the house short of a few trying on sessions.

So that's just a few thoughts from me re alternative hair.

Looking forward to hearing other people's experiences and seeing other people's alternative hair.

Kya

Shiny_Rock
Back in my days as a college student in NYC I used to dream of getting hair extensions at the Angelo david salon. A few classmates had them and they were gorgeous. I used to dreamily peruse the website and they also apparently sold all sorts of wigs and toppers. The ones they sell are real hair. Below is the link to the salon website. They have some informative videos about the actual products which can be interesting .

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I cut my hair to a short bob when I was in college, and regretted it as soon as I did it because it did nothing for my freshman 15lb weight gain, so I bought human hair clip on extensions that were about a foot long, but matched my hair color and texture perfectly! I would wear them on some days, and not on others (when I woke up too late for class), and I had people in my classes asking me if I had a twin, and we would come to class on alternating days! Since I paid a lot for it, and it took a while for my hair to grow out, I wore those extensions on and off for about 1-2 years!

I have worn my hair long ever since those days, however a few years ago, I bought some faux bangs (also clip on) for fun. I believe they were Jessica Simpson's brand. They were synthetic and had a sheen that was a bit unnatural, and didn't fully match my hair in texture, so I think I wore them out only 1x.

I have a LOT of hair still, so I probably won't be wearing a full wig (knock on wood), but I would not be opposed to getting a full wig if I ever needed one one day.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
I am in my early 60's and never had a beautiful head of hair! Boohoo! :cry2: My hair is baby fine, and I've never had enough. Now that I am in my 60s it is noticeably thin in the temple area and top of my head. It's mostly gray now, and I have it styled short and use hair product to give me some "lift" and fullness. Let's just say it's a struggle! I have seen wigs on QVC and wondered if I should try them... I am watching this thread with great interest!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back in my days as a college student in NYC I used to dream of getting hair extensions at the Angelo david salon. A few classmates had them and they were gorgeous. I used to dreamily peruse the website and they also apparently sold all sorts of wigs and toppers. The ones they sell are real hair. Below is the link to the salon website. They have some informative videos about the actual products which can be interesting .

Thanks for the link @Anne93.

I cut my hair to a short bob when I was in college, and regretted it as soon as I did it because it did nothing for my freshman 15lb weight gain, so I bought human hair clip on extensions that were about a foot long, but matched my hair color and texture perfectly! I would wear them on some days, and not on others (when I woke up too late for class), and I had people in my classes asking me if I had a twin, and we would come to class on alternating days! Since I paid a lot for it, and it took a while for my hair to grow out, I wore those extensions on and off for about 1-2 years!

I have worn my hair long ever since those days, however a few years ago, I bought some faux bangs (also clip on) for fun. I believe they were Jessica Simpson's brand. They were synthetic and had a sheen that was a bit unnatural, and didn't fully match my hair in texture, so I think I wore them out only 1x.

I have a LOT of hair still, so I probably won't be wearing a full wig (knock on wood), but I would not be opposed to getting a full wig if I ever needed one one day.

That sounds like fun and good for you embracing extensions to make yourself feel and look better. I bet you looked beautiful. I would love faux bangs if I could tolerate clip on hair. I love love love bangs/fringe and used to wear my hair like that til my mid 30s. Short blunt bangs were my thing but I love long bangs too.

I am in my early 60's and never had a beautiful head of hair! Boohoo! :cry2: My hair is baby fine, and I've never had enough. Now that I am in my 60s it is noticeably thin in the temple area and top of my head. It's mostly gray now, and I have it styled short and use hair product to give me some "lift" and fullness. Let's just say it's a struggle! I have seen wigs on QVC and wondered if I should try them... I am watching this thread with great interest!!

Awww I feel you. I have always had very fine hair. I was fortunate when I was younger to have lots of it though but not any more and it keeps getting much thinner so debating cutting it off and making the best of it. I started this thread just for people like you. If my experience to date could be of any help to anyone else I am willing to put it out there. So if you are interested I will continue posting and hope others will chime in with their experiences and thoughts too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@finerthings I am not familiar with wigs from QVC but I can share a few reputable companies I would not hesitate ordering from and I would suggest you start with the less expensive synthetic alternative hair.

Reputable companies. By no means an exhaustive list but a place to start and to educate oneself about alternative hair. Some very helpful and informative videos are on these sites as well. And youtube video links where there is someone wearing and explaining each piece.

Keep in mind there are always sales happening so you can generally get at least 30% off.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with QVC’s 30 MBG, you could try the wigs at home, and if they‘re not suitable, you can return them for a refund. If you see something you like, it’s worth a try, not much risk involved @finerthings.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried them as a kid for dressing up and found them itchy and too hot. Evidently those were not high quality, but I have been wondering how people can wear them in hot weather.

I've seen friends on chemo use new high end models and from an aesthetic point of view they were perfect. I'd never have guessed those were wigs/not their natural hair.
So if I'd need one I'd know that the look can be very natural and beautiful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with QVC’s 30 MBG, you could try the wigs at home, and if they‘re not suitable, you can return them for a refund. If you see something you like, it’s worth a try, not much risk involved @finerthings.

Hi @Austina that is good to know. You can do that with the wig sites I listed above too. Unless it is a wig on final clearance. And AFAIK there is no restocking fee.

Here are some of my wigs. I haven't worn any out but one (St Patty's Day wig) and need to work on getting them to look more natural. These photos are the first time I tried the wigs on and then that was it. 2 plus years ago. And most of these aren't here with me at the beach house. But now I am motivated and plan on bringing some of them back with me here and trying them again.

The only wig I ever wore in public. Hahaha easy to do since it was St Patty's Day (2019).
stpattydaywig.jpg

And my only HH wig. My very first wig purchase and most expensive wig.

shulywig.jpg

Some of my synthetic wigs below.

My very first synthetic wig. Cher by Ellen Wille.

missycherbackview.png

Stevie.

missysteviewig.png

Mid length Tatum.

missytatumandtommy.png

Another mid length style. Larissa by Belle Madame.
missyfullviewlarissa.png

One of my shorter synthetic wigs. I got this one from a wig store and it was inexpensive. Rooted white color. This is my favorite color on me actually. That and the Larissa above but the Larissa isn't rooted. I find rooted colors look more natural when one is a brunette.

missywhiterootedwig.png

If anyone has any alternative hair pics to share please do. I think a photos are invaluable when evaluating wigs.

I've tried them as a kid for dressing up and found them itchy and too hot. Evidently those were not high quality, but I have been wondering how people can wear them in hot weather.

I've seen friends on chemo use new high end models and from an aesthetic point of view they were perfect. I'd never have guessed those were wigs/not their natural hair.
So if I'd need one I'd know that the look can be very natural and beautiful.

Yes for sure they can be. A good quality wig is less irritating as well as making sure one is wearing a comfy wig cap and a wig that fits well. An important feature is the inside of the wig. Hand tied tends to be more comfortable than machine made but also more expensive. There are so many differences inside the wig that make or break the comfort I think. Also a wig grip helps keeps the wig in place. As for hot weather I don't think I could wear them in hot weather. One's heat tolerance varies though and I know many women who wear them in hot weather all year round.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some FAQs you might find helpful if you are looking into alternative hair.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I like to think of it as having a hair wardrobe.......for fun rather than for necessity,unless my hair thins too much in which case I would wear a wig to go out in.I also like wearing turbans,great for bad hair days.I'll post some pics of wigs & turbans=)2

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Once a few years ago, I got long hair extensions.

Well, first of all my hair is really too thin for extensions and you could see the extensions' "tracks" through my hair right away. I started wearing a tube scarf thing to hide the tracks. But it was winter so that was okay.

Strangely, I didn't like how I looked in the long hair anyway. It's hard to explain but I just thought my whole face and head looked too large or blocky or something. "Bovine" comes to mind haha. I liked my looks a lot better when the hair was pulled away from my face in the scarf.

All that hair was itchy and hot and hard to keep groomed and miserable to sleep on. I stuck it out though, after paying all that money to have it done, sitting in the chair for all the time it took and longing for that long, thick hair my whole life.

After I finally removed the extensions (or just kept cutting the hair shorter and not re-affixing the extensions as they fell out) I was so relieved. Now whenever I see someone with long, thick gorgeous hair I soon remember how awful it was to live in. So I guess I got something out of it, more contentment re wishing for things I don't have. :)

They do have the extensions that you can just clip in and unclip yourself but my hair is too thin for them unless I wore a head covering to hide the clips.

For me, I think it will just be clip-in hair pieces (one piece, not extensions) or wigs.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here's my post about wigs on another thread:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

You are so right, wigs ARE itchy and hot. I can usually only tolerate a wig for an evening out, four hours or so, and also sometimes take a Benadryl for the itchiness lol. And in the summertime, I either don't wear a hairpiece at all or wear a clip-in.

I'm sure we all know women who wear wigs to work every day. I wonder how they can stand it for eight or more hours at a stretch. Maybe it's just one of those things you get used to over time.

Last edited:

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_3194 (1).JPG Sorry about the double posting.It took 20 minutes for one pic to download & then all these came on & it won't let me delete the extrasThis is the Raquel Welch If you Dare It is synthetic hair that can tolerate a little bit of heat.It has a partially rooted cap & it extremely lightweight IMG_3195.JPG IMG_3194 (1).JPG IMG_3195.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3194 (1).JPG Sorry about the double posting.It took 20 minutes for one pic to download & then all these came on & it won't let me delete the extras IMG_3195.JPG IMG_3194 (1).JPG IMG_3195.JPG

Gorgeous!
Is that your bio hair?
It looks completely natural.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous!
Is that your bio hair?
It looks completely natural.

Haha,no it's my Raquel Welch "If you Dare"=)2 I'll pop another one on later

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @missy, you are a treasure trove of helpful information!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @missy, you are a treasure trove of helpful information!!!

Aww thank you! I am happy to share any info I know now and info I learn as I go. I have a lot to learn re alternative hair. I took a 2 year hiatus (so many issues took precedence) but I think I’ll get back to researching and trying on more wigs. I have my eye on a hand tied cap that is supposedly the most comfortable.

Thanks to all who are sharing and posting!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great idea for a thread!

My hair, as you know, has its thinning episodes, but at the moment it is yet again starting to recover from the horrible shed in May. It looked better for a gentle trim in Aug after lockdown ended here, but naturally i was due another trim in 2 weeks & we are now in lockdown again. Hoping they can fit me in a some point before Christmas.

I am not at wig stage yet, but am absolutely resigned to the fact I will need a topper or something as I go through menopause. Accepting that has reduced my anxiety about it. Like you, I have very fine curly hair, but always had lots of it so didn't care. But now I have lost about 50% of the volume.

@missy I can attest to the fact that shorter curls look fuller. They have less weight dragging them down, and so bounce up & look denser. Perhaps you should try just a few inches off at a time & see what happens?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great idea for a thread!

My hair, as you know, has its thinning episodes, but at the moment it is yet again starting to recover from the horrible shed in May. It looked better for a gentle trim in Aug after lockdown ended here, but naturally i was due another trim in 2 weeks & we are now in lockdown again. Hoping they can fit me in a some point before Christmas.

I am not at wig stage yet, but am absolutely resigned to the fact I will need a topper or something as I go through menopause. Accepting that has reduced my anxiety about it. Like you, I have very fine curly hair, but always had lots of it so didn't care. But now I have lost about 50% of the volume.

@missy I can attest to the fact that shorter curls look fuller. They have less weight dragging them down, and so bounce up & look denser. Perhaps you should try just a few inches off at a time & see what happens?

I'm glad you chimed in @Alex T you were on my mind when I started this thread.

We have very similar hair I think but hopefully yours will fare better than mine. I am going to get it cut shorter it's just Covid is messing up those plans for now.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you chimed in @Alex T you were on my mind when I started this thread.

We have very similar hair I think but hopefully yours will fare better than mine. I am going to get it cut shorter it's just Covid is messing up those plans for now.

Will look forward to seeing pictures when you do - it will look stunning. I think the variety of wigs you have shown, which ALL look beautiful, confirms that no matter what style you chose, you have the face & bone structure to carry it off. Even the green one :lol:

Mr T has promised me a HH wig if & when the time comes. They're bloody expensive though, aren't they?! There is a woman in my village who has alopecia & wears a synthetic wig. I'm not sure if it was on the cheap side, but it looks like nylon threads & in strong sunlight looks really fake. It convinced me that if I do go down that route, it will not be synthetic.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have thick unruly hair. In my late 40s, I still have a ton of it. It’s been the bane of my existence my whole life and exercise and other routines are ruled by my hair. I’ve always wanted to shave my head and wear a wig!

Now that that’s over lol, I am very impressed at the quality of the alternative hair on this thread! I had no idea!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hair has always been especially fine at the edges of my forhead- so much so it can look like i have a widows peak when i do not

But honestly after partaking in that home improvements thread even if i win lotto im never going to be able to afford to buy a wig :lol-2:

Gary's daughter who has cancer got a really good deal (because of the cancer) on 2 really nice ones but id just as soon never have cancer and pay full price
Mostly she just goes bald - she has a nice shaped head

I had no idea wig wearing was even a thing till on my Bruce Springsteen forum someone pointed out Bruce's wife wears a wig(s)

There used to be this man that sat right in front of dad's seats at the rugby, who wore a taupee - from our elevated position we looked down onto the glue in the part :lol-2:

I would think looking at this thread hair pieces have come a long way since then !

I would rather wear a hat though i think
The only people i have known to wear wigs are ladies with cancer :(2

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Aww thank you! I am happy to share any info I know now and info I learn as I go. I have a lot to learn re alternative hair. I took a 2 year hiatus (so many issues took precedence) but I think I’ll get back to researching and trying on more wigs. I have my eye on a hand tied cap that is supposedly the most comfortable.

Thanks to all who are sharing and posting!

Please share the make of the hand tied wig

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please share the make of the hand tied wig

Here you go @Made in London the wig is a hand tied McKenna human hair.

mckennapremiumhumanhairwig.jpg

It has a silk top hand tied cap and Lace Front with Ear Tabs in a Medical Comfort Cap.

I just am not sure about the color so am waiting because I spoke with the vendor and she told me a cool toned color in my size is coming out next week. That might work better for me color wise.Though that will be without bangs but I can add those later if I want. I like bangs/fringe because it helps the hairline look more natural on me. I am not sure if the one coming next week will have rooting. I like rooting in the cool blonde colors for it to look more natural.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results