shape
carat
color
clarity

Long hair over 50?

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
How old do you have to be to still wear your hair longer? I had a pixie cut before covid & I have decided to take this opportunity to grow it into a shoulder length bob.I'm curious what you all think is too old to have long hair?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say the majority of women I work with who are over 50 have hair that is at least shoulder length. A bob or blunt cut is very low maintenance and works well with just about every face shape so it would probably look very nice on you.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally do not believe there is an age limit for long hair as such, as some can carry it better than others.

The ones whom I believe could benefit from a shorter hair style are those who are clinging onto their youth/cutesy image of their younger selves.

Definitely try it and see, and if you don't like it, you can always cut it short right away.

DK :))

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are no rules. I love long hair on older women. I especially love long gray hair. I can’t wait to have it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No rules. No age limit. Whatever makes you feel good. ❤️

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I’m 43 (nearly) and have almost waist length hair. But I live in a country where lots of women have very long hair so it isn’t unusual generally. It IS unusual for a western woman however. I should probably do something with it but.... who has the time for that.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Some people look amazing with long hair over 50. I hate rules in general, anyhow :).
@House Cat I am with you and I love, love love long gray hair.

I had a curly bob for the last 20 years. I stopped coloring and went really short to chop off the color. I now have a salt and pepper pixie. I chopped off the bangs too.

For my jowl-y self, the hair looks better short, but that's just me and my angles. Thankfully we are less and less cloned the older we get.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Early 50's here and my hair is a few inches past my shoulders. I don't like how I look with short hair and find my hair length versatile. I can wear it down, up, so many options. Go for what you want.

I think the important thing no matter what your age is to keep your hair healthy, clean, and well trimmed. Longer raggy hair with yukky ends looks bad no matter what the age.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think there's an age limit for long hair. I think there used to be a "no long hair after 50" kind of notion, sort of like "no white after labor day." But I certainly don't think it applies anymore. Look at Demi Moore. She's 57 and she has beautiful long hair.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's definitely no age limit. I think many years ago once you hit 50, you were considered old & frumpy, but these days are VERY different. If it suits you, do it. My eldest sister is 55 & has a glorious mane that sits below her shoulders. She is always well put together & her hair always looks great, either worn up or down.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had a pixie for the last 10 years but because of Covid I now have a bob. I actually like it and will keep it a while.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think there’s an age limit, but I do think it has to suit your face. I know I’d look awful with long hair, but now I also look awful with short hair, so I’m sticking to chin length.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
Some people look amazing with long hair over 50. I hate rules in general, anyhow :).
@House Cat I am with you and I love, love love long gray hair.

I had a curly bob for the last 20 years. I stopped coloring and went really short to chop off the color. I now have a salt and pepper pixie. I chopped off the bangs too.

For my jowl-y self, the hair looks better short, but that's just me and my angles. Thankfully we are less and less cloned the older we get.

Wait a minute. You don't have any bad angles, gorgeous. ;)2

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. I'm going for it currently, and am 54.

I had a pixie for 25 years, and it looked great on me as I started to get white but one day instead of a trim, I told my stylist I'm going for it. That was 3.5 years ago. It's almost mid back now and I'll do 4 more inches. I love long and white!

I traded in some things with menopause tho, got waves and lost thickness, but thank goodness it was very thick to start with. My thoughts too are keep it trimmed (and in my case with long layers) and keep it healthy. I get a gloss now and again to give it some shine. Go for it, you can always cut it if it isn't flattering or not your thing.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any age can look good with long hair if it’s healthy and well-maintained. It’s important to trim split ends, treat the hair gently, and moisturize/condition.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm. I'm going for it currently, and am 54.

I had a pixie for 25 years, and it looked great on me as I started to get white but one day instead of a trim, I told my stylist I'm going for it. That was 3.5 years ago. It's almost mid back now and I'll do 4 more inches. I love long and white!

I traded in some things with menopause tho, got waves and lost thickness, but thank goodness it was very thick to start with. My thoughts too are keep it trimmed (and in my case with long layers) and keep it healthy. I get a gloss now and again to give it some shine. Go for it, you can always cut it if it isn't flattering or not your thing.

That's a really good point about looking after the condition & keeping it trimmed. If it's looked after, then it will look healthy & strong, as opposed to wiry & dry.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom is in her late 70s and she wears her long hair back most of the time. And she’s never colored it. This is what makes her happy. And I think it shows.

F60EDFF5-DF25-422A-A2A5-50510CC2EE08.jpeg

When you feel good you’re confident and it shines through. There is no one right way.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
My mom is in her late 70s and she wears her long hair back most of the time. And she’s never colored it. This is what makes her happy. And I think it shows.

F60EDFF5-DF25-422A-A2A5-50510CC2EE08.jpeg

When you feel good you’re confident and it shines through. There is no one right way.

Your Mom is so elegant and beautiful. I see where you get it!

The updo reminds me of the beautiful Gibson Girl look.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My mom had long hair until her mid-60s, but it was always pulled back in a granny bun that aged her. When she got it cut into a pixie cut about 5 years ago, it took years off her age. I think it has to do with how you style your long hair.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your Mom is so elegant and beautiful. I see where you get it!

The updo reminds me of the beautiful Gibson Girl look.

Thank you @moneymeister ❤️

I remember I tried convincing my mom to color her hair over a decade ago. I’m so glad she didn’t listen. The gray suits her. And now I’ve stopped coloring my hair (over a year plus now) and while I don’t love the color I’m hopeful it will go more gray soon.

I’m 55 and I wear my hair either in a ponytail or half back half down.

There really are no rules. When I was 20 I never would have dreamed I’d be wearing a ponytail at 55 lol.

D877CE20-300F-46DB-9270-53A3CC133458.jpeg

Excuse the raggedy ends. I haven’t had it cut since last January.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the whole long hair over 50 theory was set in place by misogynistic people who equate youth to beauty, sexuality to youth and believe that women over a certain age are invisible due to the fact that they do not radiate youth. We live in an ageist society that many succumb to. Just look at soc media—filtered selfies abound, Jlo making her selfies appear blurry so that she is mistaken for a 20 year old, meanwhile the masses praise her eternal youth

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you @moneymeister

I remember I tried convincing my mom to color her hair over a decade ago. I’m so glad she didn’t listen. The gray suits her. And now I’ve stopped coloring my hair (over a year plus now) and while I don’t love the color I’m hopeful it will go more gray soon.

There really are no rules. When I was 20 I never would have dreamed I’d be wearing a ponytail at 55 lol.

Oh my gosh, look at that pretty profile you're sporting. You can totally rock the ponytail look.
You have a portrait in a closet somewhere...I am sure of it. Beautiful inside and out.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had very short hair when i was younger but started to grow it in my mid 20s
nooooo way am i cutting it next year !
My hair is very fine and length gives me volume
When i had short hair i had to use a ton of product to make in managable
Now all i need to use is regular conditioner

Wear hair to suit yourselves, no one else's opinion matters

inne

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @moneymeister

You and your mom are so beautiful!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over 50 here and I have long hair. I find it easier long than a bob or shoulder length. That shorter length always makes me wake up with the Carol Brady flip. I really love it long as it’s become my security blanket. I play with it when I’m stressed or nervous.
After 50, who cares what anyone else thinks? Is that a thing still? :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results