shape
carat
color
clarity

Lightbox has a countdown

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband ordered me the princess pendant (I think it's too expensive, so I plan to return). It shipped yesterday morning and will be here today. He didn't pay for faster shipping, so these must be shipping out near Philadelphia. If I can figure it out, I'll post pictures :).
Yes..Please post a pic! I would love to see the princess cut!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
My husband ordered me the princess pendant (I think it's too expensive, so I plan to return). It shipped yesterday morning and will be here today. He didn't pay for faster shipping, so these must be shipping out near Philadelphia. If I can figure it out, I'll post pictures :).

How can it be too expensive? I thought this was as cheap as diamonds get? :confused:

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
It was meant to be a lighthearted emoticon, sorry if it offended! I operate on a very small budget too so I understand what you mean now,

No offense taken!

I wanted to stick to a lower budget with this piece because I was looking for something fun and fashionable that I could wear every day-- all ideas that are pretty much like Martian to my husband :). I don't know about anyone else, but silver tarnishes on me quickly and I'm worried it will tarnish under the diamonds and in the details of the setting, making it all look dirty and low quality. With one of their 1 ct pieces, I think resetting cost needs to be taken into account.

But now that it's here, I'm having separation anxiety. Sigh.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could keep it in silver for however long you want and then reset it later if you want. Please post pics!

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
No offense taken!

I wanted to stick to a lower budget with this piece because I was looking for something fun and fashionable that I could wear every day-- all ideas that are pretty much like Martian to my husband :). I don't know about anyone else, but silver tarnishes on me quickly and I'm worried it will tarnish under the diamonds and in the details of the setting, making it all look dirty and low quality. With one of their 1 ct pieces, I think resetting cost needs to be taken into account.

But now that it's here, I'm having separation anxiety. Sigh.
Lighbox rhodium plates the silver jewelry so it should be tarnish free for a good long time until the rhodium wears off and even then I would think that it would only rub off on the chain and not in the prongs that you won’t have much contact with. Problem solved :halo:

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Lighbox rhodium plates the silver jewelry so it should be tarnish free for a good long time until the rhodium wears off and even then I would think that it would only rub off on the chain and not in the prongs that you won’t have much contact with. Problem solved :halo:

Body chemistry is a strange thing. I've had rhodium plated silver before and it definitely still tarnishes. I don't think it's the plating wearing away, because the plating never seems to come off my wg and the same thing happens to me with gold plated silver. I had a pearl and silver tin cup style necklace and I couldn't get the tarnish off the silver right near the pearls and wound up giving the necklace away.

Of course this sound logic didn't stop me from wanting the lightbox in the first place. No judging, I got sucked in by the sparkle.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
You could keep it in silver for however long you want and then reset it later if you want. Please post pics!

I posted pics yesterday in the pics thread!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I just found it as I was frantically looking for it..It looks so pretty..Oh boy..I thought I made up my mind..

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just received a .5 ct clear round solitaire LightBox necklace. My first impression is that it looks bright and sparkly, but that .5 ct. is small.

I was going to put it into a halo ring for my Mom, but now I'm a little worried that it will still be a small ring. I already bought a Costco necklace for her, which she loves, but she is now thinking that she would rather have a ring.

I hope they get .75 and .1 ct. solitaires in soon.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just received a .5 ct clear round solitaire LightBox necklace. My first impression is that it looks bright and sparkly, but that .5 ct. is small.

I was going to put it into a halo ring for my Mom, but now I'm a little worried that it will still be a small ring. I already bought a Costco necklace for her, which she loves, but she is now thinking that she would rather have a ring.

I hope they get .75 and .1 ct. solitaires in soon.
If you put it in a halo it will look larger. Do you have the setting already? Is she keeping the necklace in addition to the ring you want to make her?

I just went to Costco today and looked at the 1ctw princess studs just to see the size. I wouldn’t buy them there..although I have bought a few things there. The one carat would be too small for my ears..I would have to get either 1.5 or 2 carat. The 1.5 will probably be too small too. I like princess cut studs but I don’t want to pay $8,000 when I already have round ones in a good size..That’s why I was thinking the Lightbox ones...I also want to get a diamond RHR and I could put more money towards that if I get the Lightbox earrings. I’m trying to talk myself out of them..

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, She is going to decide between the necklace and a ring. I don't have a setting yet. I spent ridiculous amounts of time looking at various halo settings on the web last night. All I know so far is plain shank halo, hopefully in Stuller 14 kt. X1 so she doesn't have to worry about rhodium dipping. I am going to try to get her to go to a jewelry store with me to see some ring settings in person. Want she really wants is the necklace pendant turned into a ring :lol-2:, but I'm afraid that wouldn't hold up too well.

ETA - My mom said she wants "blingy". The pendant is around 8.7 ( to .9?) mm and I am just afraid that she will think that the .5 ct in a halo is too small compared to the pendant. But she is leaning towards a ring right now. I wish I had the budget to give her both.

I would totally hold out for two 1 ct. solitaires from Lightbox to turn into earrings given everything that you said. The diamond I received looks pretty well cut, but here is where I admit that although I have an Idealscope, I think that I don't know how to use it properly. I have tried and I just think I am terrible at it. :oops: :oops: :oops: Actually, I get a slightly different reading each time with my calipers, too. I think I need a much smaller one. What a terrible pricescoper! :shhh:

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean, She is going to decide between the necklace and a ring. I don't have a setting yet. I spent ridiculous amounts of time looking at various halo settings on the web last night. All I know so far is plain shank halo, hopefully in Stuller 14 kt. X1 so she doesn't have to worry about rhodium dipping. I am going to try to get her to go to a jewelry store with me to see some ring settings in person. Want she really wants is the necklace pendant turned into a ring :lol-2:, but I'm afraid that wouldn't hold up too well.

ETA - My mom said she wants "blingy". The pendant is around 8.7 ( to .9?) mm and I am just afraid that she will think that the .5 ct in a halo is too small compared to the pendant. But she is leaning towards a ring right now. I wish I had the budget to give her both.

Does it have to be a diamond? You could get her a really pretty gemstone that’s big and put it in the setting. There’s a bunch of stones for sale on various sites. If you tell me the size you’re looking for and what stones you think she would like I can help you look. What about moissanite? I have a couple Charles & Colvard forever ones in DEF color. I wouldn’t suggest the princess cut but the rounds are beautiful.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@kindred My post went into your post above. I don’t know how that happens!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the offer @Mamabean, but she really wants it to be all diamonds. She's fine with the lab diamond, though.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the offer @Mamabean, but she really wants it to be all diamonds. She's fine with the lab diamond, though.
I definitely understand wanting all diamonds!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Took my .5 ct. round Lightbox diamond into a jewerly store and they were pretty interested in looking at it. They measured it for me because I can't get the same number twice. :oops: They said it is 5.08 x 5.08. No idea of depth since it is still mounted. It looks like I will be sending mine back since I bought it for my Mom and she has decided on something else.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One of the jewelers called the lab diamond "not real" and that seemed to affect my Mom's opinion of it. It's too bad, because she didn't mind at all when I initially told her that it was a lab diamond and I might have given her a lab diamond for another occasion.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of the jewelers called the lab diamond "not real" and that seemed to affect my Mom's opinion of it. It's too bad, because she didn't mind at all when I initially told her that it was a lab diamond and I might have given her a lab diamond for another occasion.
I think there’s a lot of people that would consider a lab diamond to be like cubic zirconia...or a moissanite..They’re just not familiar with it.. They’re probably also going to lose some business from lab diamonds..Maybe your mom will come around...It actually took me a while to separate a lab diamond from fake diamonds in my mind..I will always prefer and buy mined diamonds..but I will also buy the lab diamonds...for extra fun..

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think there’s a lot of people that would consider a lab diamond to be like cubic zirconia...or a moissanite..They’re just not familiar with it.. They’re probably also going to lose some business from lab diamonds..Maybe your mom will come around...It actually took me a while to separate a lab diamond from fake diamonds in my mind..I will always prefer and buy mined diamonds..but I will also buy the lab diamonds...for extra fun..

A lot of jewelers are afraid of lab diamonds. I'm not convinced that lab diamonds will drive jewelers out of business but it will definitely change some things, like the amount of profit they make from the setting vs. the stone and retail markup. The mall jewelers sell tons of synthetic spinal "birthstone" jewelry and they don't seem to be hurting. It's just a different approach.

A lot of jewelers are talking down lab stones. I'm not sure they're lying; they may just be all repeating what each other says. But the interesting thing about this encounter is that DeBoers is clearly trying to save the engagement ring market by branding lab stones as fun, small, mounted in silver, never in a ring, and not always white.

I'm finding this all pretty interesting, as a lot of young people I know are turned off by the very idea of a conventional engagement ring. They get small stones and make a point of how they are different than their parents. Or they get handmade his and her matched wood rings cut from the same block of wood so the grains match up. And it's only a matter of time before some people start doing what everyone on PS is talking about--unmounting the stones, selling the silver for scrap, making engagement rings and reselling them.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pics when you get them!

Since this isn't as important to me as an engagement ring, I'm not worried about mind clean, I'm willing to get the works done on them! I wonder if I have a jeweler here in Annapolis that can do an ASET.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They must come in and out of stock fast on the carat studs! it looks like they are out again!

@kindred
You are kinder than I would have been if a jeweler lied to my mother! If a jeweler told me that a lab diamond was not as promised a real LAB DIAMOND,

I would have asked " It is not real? Oh wow debeers is going to have a very large lawsuit on their hands! They never said these diamonds were earth mined but they do advertise clearly that they are chemically made diamonds that are grown in a lab! Are you saying these are chemically cubic zirconia and not lab diamonds as I claimed to you? Specifically what tests did you run to PROVE your statement that debeers is defrauding people and selling FAKE LAB grown diamonds that are NOT chemically diamonds? I will need to have that evidence you should have before I tell them they are not lab diamond as advertised! "

I get why jewelers don't like these lab diamonds, but if they want to call them fake they better have some test that can be proven that debeers has not made and sold a REAL LAB DIAMOND as advertised. When you buy a LAB ruby it is still a lab ruby, and should test as such. Debeers is not advertising them as natural mined diamonds so as long as people are not claiming they are to a jeweler, they should choose their words with more precision. If I tell a jeweler I have a LAB diamond, and they tell me it is a FAKE, they better be prepared to show how they can prove it is NOT a lab diamond as represented by the manufacturer.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since this isn't as important to me as an engagement ring, I'm not worried about mind clean, I'm willing to get the works done on them! I wonder if I have a jeweler here in Annapolis that can do an ASET.
I don’t think many jewelers would have it. I love Annapolis!

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The studs were gone lightening fast. Immediately after my order cleared I told a friend I pulled the trigger and they were already gone again when she went to buy some.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The studs were gone lightening fast. Immediately after my order cleared I told a friend I pulled the trigger and they were already gone again when she went to buy some.
I believe it! I’m waiting for the end of the year and get the princess cut earrings. I was torturing myself about getting them because they would turn and I would always be fixing them. I realized that only bothered me if they were fairly big. I don’t think the 1 ctw ones with bother me at all..I was a bad girl this year so making myself behave..Come the end of the year I’ll be getting some new sparklies..:appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results