shape
carat
color
clarity

Let's talk about CS projects in progress

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, 2Neezers! The faceted moonstones do sparkle. I first noticed this in a pair of moonstone dangle earrings I got from Yvonne. I asked her about it and she said that yes, they do sparkle when faceted. I believe that she has 2 mm, 3 mm and 4 mm sizes available in her shop right now. I love wearing this ring with my moonstone cab ring from Daniel M :) I'm also thinking about having her make moonstone and lavender spinel earrings, too.

I'd go ahead and get a moonstone ring from Yvonne, if you want one, just remember that they are soft so put them in protected settings :)

Thank you for the info! You have such a pretty ring and I definitely would like to have one of my own someday! The moonstone melee looks so dreamy :kiss2: .

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm really liking the grey spinel halo on this ring and the tourmaline ring you just finished with Dan! So pretty with the blue and green gems in these rings. It would probably look fantastic with a red or bright pink stone, too.

I think I about used up all my gray spinels from Yvonne. We'll see if there's any extras that would get shipped with the aquamarine ring. I think you're right and the spinels work well for a bright red or pink, too.

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20200723_181555.jpg IMG_20200723_181519.jpg IMG_20200723_181456.jpg IMG_20200723_181250.jpg IMG_20200723_181217.jpg
I simply adore the completed spinel ring! I bought the spinel off OTL on Etsy and had Dan Stair recut it. Enhoerning helped me set it in 18k rose gold with F VS diamonds.
@T L @Rad_Fan @Y C

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20200723_181555.jpg IMG_20200723_181519.jpg IMG_20200723_181456.jpg IMG_20200723_181250.jpg IMG_20200723_181217.jpg
I simply adore the completed spinel ring! I bought the spinel off OTL on Etsy and had Dan Stair recut it. Enhoerning helped me set it in 18k rose gold with F VS diamonds.
@T L @Rad_Fan @Y C

Gorgeous ring. The stone is beautiful!!!

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m so excited for my first custom CS project! It was love at first sight for me and this grayish purple sapphire. As you can see, the sapphire is on the darker side, like my soul. It’s like staring into a glass of Merlot in a candlelit restaurant.

I purchased from Dhillon Jewelry on LT. Sean Dhillon was very thoughtful and checked in with me regularly during major shipping delays beyond our control. I’m working on a yellow gold ring with a local jeweler.

Many thanks to the helpful threads here for helping me feel confident about taking the plunge!

A2E7328A-BB49-4074-BC2A-902E99470D3C.jpeg

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Finally getting something set! Just paid the deposit to have my recently acquired star sapphire set into this Daniel M ring. It’ll be all yellow gold, trying to venture out of my white metal comfort zone.

BC4C4004-3674-4541-8754-90ADC3A785F3.jpeg

Attachments

• F29A564E-338E-49EF-BD5F-742728F6DBF7.jpeg
    F29A564E-338E-49EF-BD5F-742728F6DBF7.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 53

Polished1911

Shiny_Rock
I am drawn to dark gems as well. I can’t wait to see this set.

I’m so excited for my first custom CS project! It was love at first sight for me and this grayish purple sapphire. As you can see, the sapphire is on the darker side, like my soul. It’s like staring into a glass of Merlot in a candlelit restaurant.

I purchased from Dhillon Jewelry on LT. Sean Dhillon was very thoughtful and checked in with me regularly during major shipping delays beyond our control. I’m working on a yellow gold ring with a local jeweler.

Many thanks to the helpful threads here for helping me feel confident about taking the plunge!

A2E7328A-BB49-4074-BC2A-902E99470D3C.jpeg

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
My dangles arrived today! Love how glowy both the hauyne and emerald are :kiss2:

I tried them on with a .80ct diamond stud in a 4-prong basket setting and a .44ct diamond stud in a bezel setting. I think I like it better with the smaller bezel stud, because (1) the bezel echoes the setting for the hauyne, and (2) I want the emerald to stand out more. What do you guys think? P.S. decent earshots are sooo hard

Dangles 6.jpg
Dangles 7.jpg
Dangle Basket.jpg
Dangle Bezel.jpg

Those are just gorgeous and they look perfect with the bezel set diamonds. Love the rich vibrant colors

@voce your color choices are outstanding as usual!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Look what rolled into my mailbox today. Just can't capture these little guy's sparkle. I was holding them next to a few of my diamond bands and it is so unfair to the diamonds.

The ombre will be held for another golden state pendant and the others are destined for a necklace. Still debating adding other shaped stones for a cluster or doing some sort of scatter.

2.5mm and 1.75mm to the side
. 20200601_164942.jpg

20200601_164639.jpg
4mm
20200601_165153.jpg

Necklace partners.
20200601_170237.jpg

I'd love to get them out and play but I don't trust myself not to lose one or scratch it.

Finished products from Dan M!

I used the 3.6mm for bezel set studs and the 4mm and 2.5mm from Brad at the Gem Trader for the necklace. I also added a rhombus from Tim at Inorogems and my first benitoite a 2.3mm round I got ages ago from Michelle Mai at @mvmgems

Studs
20200725_230332.jpg

Necklace
20200725_230443.jpg

Attachments

• 20200725_191217.jpg
    20200725_191217.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 16

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L @Rad_Fan @Y C

That’s gorgeous! I love how you chose rose gold...it really plays off the color so well. We’re gonna need more pics. :love: :mrgreen:

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm about to start another small project with Dan.

I bought five of Yvonne's 3 mm tsavorites and I'm going to have him set them in an eternity ring (like the band in his shop with the moissanites). Going to go with RG since I already have a tsav band from Yvonne in WG with smaller stones. They are really bright and lively in color, a bit like my trillion tsav, but maybe a tad darker.

thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail.jpg

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Finally starting to put together a cluster ring with a local jeweler. This is the layout. She is working on some CADS with various bezels, half bezels and tab prongs. I can’t wait to see her ideas. It will be white gold, not sure about the gallery or any engraving or shank ideas just yet.

The gems are emerald, tourmaline, aquamarine, zircon, & sapphire. C13D1AD0-336A-443A-AFFB-57FF5C00BFC4.jpeg

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Finally starting to put together a cluster ring with a local jeweler. This is the layout. She is working on some CADS with various bezels, half bezels and tab prongs. I can’t wait to see her ideas. It will be white gold, not sure about the gallery or any engraving or shank ideas just yet.

The gems are emerald, tourmaline, aquamarine, zircon, & sapphire. C13D1AD0-336A-443A-AFFB-57FF5C00BFC4.jpeg

The colors, the layout, just amazing.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Combo I just came up with

I bought this 3 mm rubellite bc I thought it was pretty. No idea what I’d do with it being it wasn’t a pair but I think it would be a nice rose gold pendant with this sunstone I got some time back ????? I imagine it having some milgrain or engraving around it

Attachments

• 682D019D-4A6F-401F-820F-645110DE490B.jpeg
    682D019D-4A6F-401F-820F-645110DE490B.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 20

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm on a mission to declutter and reduce the number of loose so-so stones I have. The ones I love can either remain loose or be set, but the random so-so stones that I sometimes forget I have, they cause me anxiety! Some are not worth setting at all, others I would like to set but as cheaply as possible. A necklace with bunch of sliding bezels would be nice in theory but those always flip and drive me crazy and I'm done experimenting with that design. So I thought I'd try earrings. But the problem is I don't have matching pairs! I'll have to do a mismatched piece and see if I can live with the mismatchedness of it. I don't have great hopes of it working out but if it does I can do a few sets of earrings and get rid of some random stones, thereby creating more room and excuses to acquire more :rolleyes:.

G9I4CK40AY.jpg

I thought I'd do simple gold bezel drop earrings with these but the large pink one doesn't work. It's too dark. Plus the others are all precision cut and the native cutting stands out to me in a not good way. I've been looking for a round chrysoberyl or some other really pale yellow stone in that size, without honey or brown hues. No luck so far but I'll keep looking. I have a bunch of round purple spinels in that exact size but the colors clash, totally different palettes. I also have a peach sapphire and malaya garnets that are the right size but they look too brown. Ugh.

VLHSOJK3AF.jpg

See I think the round purplish pink is too dark and not the right hue either.

UE17QKEMT2.jpg

I like chartreuse much better. I've been looking for a 6.8-7.0mm precision cut round in that color. They don't seem to be too common. And what an inefficient and expensive way to put together earrings, because what kind of fool buys single stones one at a time for stuff like this! You would buy pre-assembled sets or pairs.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also I'm wanting to buy some melee during Yvonne's sale for this heliodor. I'm going with spinel or sapphire probably that's not pink or red. However the stuff I like are like 2.5mm or 3mm, and I think I need something more like 1.5mm or smaller stones. I think 3mm halo around the heliodor would look a little ridiculous.

593HBI1EX3.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Bonsai you have an amazing chrysoberyl! Looking forward to seeing it set. For the sunstone, which I can totally see in a pretty milgrain bezel pendant setting, I'd prefer more of a contrast in the accent stone, maybe a green or blue.

@Cockatiel what pretty pastel-color gems! Evokes the concept of spring for me. Have you thought of toi et moi rings for them? T L has some gorgeous ones with CS. I recommend Daniel M for budget friendly custom designs.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

[USER=97103]@Cockatiel
what pretty pastel-color gems! Evokes the concept of spring for me. Have you thought of toi et moi rings for them? T L has some gorgeous ones with CS. I recommend Daniel M for budget friendly custom designs.

Thanks! I'm a pastel gem addict. I admire your colorful collection, it's not easy to use different gems together, easier said than done I think, because you have to see how the different colors work under different conditions. I think it takes a large stash to come up with decent combos and to not have to compromise a lot in terms of esthetics. I've admired TL's jaw dropping rings for a long time. I'm going with earrings first because I think they are easier and these are decently matched in terms of size and shape. I have more that are weird sizes and shapes which I might do a bypass ring with? And thanks for recommending Daniel M, I've worked with him and he's really nice and easy to work with, not to mention the excellent quality of work.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! I'm a pastel gem addict. I admire your colorful collection, it's not easy to use different gems together, easier said than done I think, because you have to see how the different colors work under different conditions. I think it takes a large stash to come up with decent combos and to not have to compromise a lot in terms of esthetics. I've admired TL's jaw dropping rings for a long time. I'm going with earrings first because I think they are easier and these are decently matched in terms of size and shape. I have more that are weird sizes and shapes which I might do a bypass ring with? And thanks for recommending Daniel M, I've worked with him and he's really nice and easy to work with, not to mention the excellent quality of work.

You're right about that! Let's just say...I've purchased 17 3mm Mahenge spinels to try to find 5 to match my 6.2mm Mahenge spinel, and because the colors are not a good match, I had to repurpose them for other projects while I asked a professional in NYC to find matching stones instead!

I think I am reaching my ring capacity, we'll see. I've got stuff planned out and not a whole lot I still need for my collection. Only things I'll actively be on the lookout for need me to budget appropriately. For the time being I'm getting a lot of satisfaction by getting stones set.

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Because I no longer have any willpower, I caved and bought a mint garnet from CRD with plans of setting it into a Camellia ring (I tried soo hard, I swear).

7.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a halo with 2mm lavender or Mahenge spinels and then 1mm demantoids. Going to ask Yvonne for some pics of the garnet with the various melee colors, she has so many new ones lately that I can't resist anymore!

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
first post!!! hi :wavey:

i just bought this beautiful unheated .75ct umba sapphire and am having it set in a sweet little 3 stone ring! sorry if the photos are wonky, not sure how to navigate this site yet
2BB1BC37-B2AC-4363-9F12-E28D770D21E3.jpeg D9C0ABAB-D8BA-429A-ABAB-0298A05B92AC.jpeg

Hello! :wavey:Beautiful stone and the ring is going to be gorgeous! Very unique design. Please start a thread when the ring is ready.

AntiqueFreak

Rough_Rock
thank you so much!
Lovely layout! That can be a tough shape but I think the design is very harmonious, if that's the right word

Hello! :wavey:Beautiful stone and the ring is going to be gorgeous! Very unique design. Please start a thread when the ring is ready.

thank you both so much! i have a bad habit of talking myself out of things and your kind words really helped me :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results