shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon owners...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PONYO

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
My fiance and I are both set on Leon making us a beautiful 3-stone (http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=312). We received a quote last month for approx $2200 for the cost of platinum and labor excluding the side pears. We are hoping to have .25-.30 sized pears on each side. We would like to budget the cost of our center stone appropriately based on the finale cost of the setting itself. Any idea how much the side pears would be? Does Leon source side stones @ cost?
Yes, I''m aware it would be best to ask THE MAN directly but am hesitant after reading how temperamental with budgets he can be?
Also, we''ve noticed Leon settings are quite low to the finger, do any of you owners find that the ring looks squashed?? Any luck in having it set a tad higher?

Thank you all!

cara

Ideal_Rock
I would let your budget and other center-stone preferences dictate the size of the center stone, and then choose the sidestones to be proportionate with the center stone. Rather than deciding what size sidestones to use before knowing what size center you can afford.

For reference, here is KristyDarling's old thread on selecting pear sides for her Leon Mege three-stone. Which turned out awesome. Obviously the prices in her thread are old, but she was looking at larger pears than you, so maybe you can do some guestimation that would be useful?

Also, I wouldn't go with Mr. Leon unless you love his eye for things (which I think is awesome btw). In particular I think his three-stones are perfection, and almost all his rings are low-set. Not to say that you can't or shouldn't ask for it to be set higher if that is your preference, but if you don't care for his aesthetic on those matters he may not be the right designer.

An example of someone requesting something out-of-the-ordinary from LM was Ellen and her beautiful Aquamarine reset. Most LM solitaires are with a very thin band, but hers was just slightly more substantial than I am used to seeing his solitaires and of course absolutely gorgeous. Ellen did have some less than complimentary things to say about working his him and her aqua which you can surely search for if you have not already. But the man has a great eye and for some the risk of a hassle is worth it.

PONYO

Rough_Rock
Thank you Cara for your input.
We are just in the process of looking at center stones... we have a clear budget for the center stone, looking for approx 1.5ct round. Many of the 3-stones with that approx center seem to look very balanced with .25-.3 side pears. Our budget leaves us with approx $3500 for the setting. His quote of $2200 for the setting is fine, we just hope his cost of the pears don''t break our budget.
Judging by KristyDarling''s quotes it appears Leon may pad the cost some what for him sourcing the sides?...
8.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know it is not Leon, but if you wanted to have a little more control over the process, BGD has some three stones with pears that I think are gorgeous and the prices include sidestones: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5362 There are two other styles if you look under the three-stones rings section of their engagement rings page.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Well, it sounds like you are *close* to what he might charge for suitable pears, so to me, it would be worth it to hold back or scrounge up a few hundred dollars more in case the sidestones are slightly pricey. You can source your own sidestones if you think he is marking up too much but to find matching pears in that size range is a pain for a regular consumer.

I think BGD does lovely work but its just not quite the same as the LM three-stone. Hard to say how different they would be IRL since I am mostly a computer-based fan, but if its in budget or close, and you also appreciate the LM style and don't see other three-stones as equivalent pieces, I would try to stretch the budget one way or another and go for it!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I would let Leon do the sourcing. He has a very good eye for the proportions of side stones. Anyone who sources stones is going to charge for their time. If you want to keep costs down drop in color or clarity. I don''t think the pears are going to break the bank but talk to Leon and ask him how much should you set aside for the side stones based on getting a whatever-weight-center-stone-you-are-thinking-of. What he doesn''t seem to like is when people waste his time by asking 20 questions like how much less will it be if...

For me it would be worth the cost since he is making the setting to source perfectly matching and proportional side stones.

PONYO

Rough_Rock
Thanks you two...
my fiance has been very gracious in letting me take the wheel in this whole process, though I''m not sure if I''m steering us the best! Truth be known, I think he rather just not deal with it haha
So I turn to all the Pricescopers to hold my hand in this! =)
I did look at Brian''s 3-stones, they are lovely but there is something about the way the 3-stone of Leon''s that just sings to me!
Would it be possible to have whom ever sources the center stone to also source two matching pears? I know I am pinching pennies! I just really want to stick to the budget my fiance has given (after me getting him to nudge it up too many times to count!!)!!

PONYO

Rough_Rock
That is a great idea! wording it in a non budget threatening manner! I will try it =)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Don''t be afraid to talk to Leon - I found him to be really really nice and no issues at all. Reports as of late have all been glowing. I think he is turning over a new leaf - now that he isn''t do bench work himself, he has more time for customer service.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too think that for a few hundred buck it is worth going for Leon. But you do need to just accept what he wants t odo and love what you get, no matter what. He will not bend for the consumer and if you are not happy after, well, too bad for you.

cara

Ideal_Rock
I think the reason we recommend LM source the sides is that he is making the setting, has great eye for proportion, and as a *setting maker* is more often in touch with sources for sidestones and is used to picking them and knowing how they will look in his rings. This is what he does. Seems like you have already allotted a reasonable amount, and if a few hundred dollars is going to put you over the edge budget-wise maybe dropping down in color or clarity of the sides or somehow shaving a few hundred $ off the center stone price would be worth it. I'm all for pinching pennies, but... it is a luxury purchase with an aesthetic component. You don't want to pinch pennies too hard on a $10k+ purchase (guessing here), its just making life unnecessarily difficult and may affect the result.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had him source my side stones, he did a great job. He''s got a great eye for sure. Best of luck to you!!! I can''t wait to see your ring.

PONYO

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your responses, they are very much appreciated.
We most definitely are not looking at D''s or IF''s... or even a hearts and arrowed rounds. As long as the stone is very sparkly and eye clean we will be very satisfied!
Been doing a lot of reading on here as of late and am concentrating on the cut! (aren''t you glad?
31.gif
)
Will turn to your expertise soon! have a couple of stones in mind!

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
I agree with swinggirl...Let Leon source the pears.

Actually, you are also in agreement with swinggirl-I think (wink wink). Because you too have said Leon''s three stone''s just sing to you! I hear the music too, so you aren''t alone on that. But in all the PS 3 stones, including Kristy Darlings; the ratio, shape, and angle of stone placement in design that put his work above the others-thus allowing that magic music to be heard.

He really won''t know until he is in receipt of your stone. You think a round center is simple, but with him, I think HE BECOMES ONE WITH THE STONE, thus allowing him to perform the three stone magic act, we all love so much!

I know you are wanting to get a price point finalized...and yet you want the master to do the work. (he rarely if ever gives a final price before he begins, ballpark estimate, usually.) To be fair, with all tradesmen that work in a fluctuating market, there would be reluctance to provide an estimate, ahead of the actual (stone)sourcing. You could ask him what his past experience was, but I think he would also have some reluctance to answer. So you do have a dilemma.

You could tell him you need the PEARS to be in the $400 to $600 each/ range and ask that they stay within the ballpark of that price.

BUT PLEASE, Hurry and decide, cause I am excited for you! I can''t wait to see your masterpiece!

36.gif

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ponyo
Leon is making this exact ring for me right now!
I sent Leon my diamond and had him source the pear sidestones. My center stone is 1.71 and the pears are tcw of .65
My ring cost was also $2200. IN GENERAL, I think your budget should cover the sidestones you''re considering (but of course it all depends on your specs, so Leon is the one who can give you the final answer.)
One other thing to keep in mind, though. I don''t know if you''re local, but if he''s shipping it to you, it will cost some extra cash. For me, it was a little under $200 for shipping.

Good luck, and can''t wait to see your ring!!
36.gif

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Don't try to source the stones yourself or have another dealer do it. If you like Leon's work, let Leon find the stones.

In part, you are paying for his eyes and aesthetic. The size, proportion, length, squatness of the pears are part of the aesthetic of the whole piece. Leon's pieces don't turn out the way they do because he puts his torch to metal. He's not a metalsmith magician (turning any combo of three stones into gorgeous rings), he's a designer - if you like his work, let him do it.

I always thought Leon charges what is essentially cost, or close to it, for the sides, so I don't think you're going to do better by asking someone else to source it for your anyways. If it turns out to be a few hundred over budget (and you seem to have ample room anyways), just ask Leon to source sides that are a color and/or clarity grade lower (rather than G's, use H's, for example). You likely won't notice the color difference in the smaller side stones.

PONYO

Rough_Rock
Hi Mol42
Oh I''m excited for you! what size is your ring finger? I hope you post photos of it soon so I can live vicariously through you! =) If you don''t mind me asking, how much did he quote you for the sidestones? Yes I understand the specs have a lot to do with it... I hope Leon is willing to work with H''s and VS''s and not E''S and VVS''s
I will need him to ship it outside of the States, thank you for reminding me of shipping.. $200 seems like a lot.. normally not around $100? *sigh* the price of having perfection I suppose!!

Thank you for all of your inputs.. you have all persuaded me to let Leon handle it all... you all deserve some commission from him!

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 2:41:25 AM
Author: PONYO
Hi Mol42

Oh I''m excited for you! what size is your ring finger? I hope you post photos of it soon so I can live vicariously through you! =) If you don''t mind me asking, how much did he quote you for the sidestones? Yes I understand the specs have a lot to do with it... I hope Leon is willing to work with H''s and VS''s and not E''S and VVS''s

I will need him to ship it outside of the States, thank you for reminding me of shipping.. $200 seems like a lot.. normally not around $100? *sigh* the price of having perfection I suppose!!

Thank you for all of your inputs.. you have all persuaded me to let Leon handle it all... you all deserve some commission from him!

Thanks Ponyo. I''m very excited and IMPATIENT over this excruciating wait! My diamond has been in NYC for nearly one month and it''s killing me!!! (I compensate by spending waaaaay too many hours on PS drooling over everyone else''s gorgeous rings!)
The ring size is 4.75--
Leon is absolutely willing to work with stones other than E''s and VVS''s! I think he will find sidestones with similar specs to your center stone. Don''t worry!
Before I contacted him, I pored over similar rings, obsessing and ruminating over porportions and trying to figure out some secret formula to calculating sidestone size.
34.gif
In the end, he came up with sidestones that were bigger than I anticipated. (shrug) I figured that all the Leon rings I''ve seen have all been gorgeous, so I sorta took a leap of faith and went with what he picked. Hopefully I didn''t make a mistake -lol
20.gif

Anyways, I''ll post photos as soon as I get my ring!

PONYO

Rough_Rock
Oh Mol! I''m even more excited now! we have the same ring size!!! well.... I''ve been 4.75 forever but the last couple of times they''ve said I''m more of a 4.25. Odd, since I''ve gained 1X amount of weight but my finger got skinnier? haha
Has Leon started to work on your exquisite piece now?
36.gif

mol42

Shiny_Rock
Ooooh, lucky you! I''m jealous, you''ll have to give us your secret for finger lipo
31.gif

Yes, they are working on my ring, and said it''s rumored to be done around mid April. (counting down the minutes. . . .)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results