shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your help picking sidestones, please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all. So I''ve been communicating with Leon and have identified some pear sidestones for my 3-stone ring. I need your opinions! He gave me 4 choices, 3 of the ones I''m considering are below:

1) .88 tcw pears, 6.2mm x 4.2mm, H VS2. L/W ratio around 1.677, if my math is correct. $2090.
2) 1.01 tcw pears, 6.5mm x 4.5mm, G VS1. L/W ratio around 1.692. $3394.
3) 1.14 tcw pears, 6.7mm x 4.6mm, H VS1. L/W ratio around 1.686. $3557.

(I would love to post the pics Leon sent which show my stone next to each pair, but I''m a newbie Mac owner [formerly a PC gal] and I have no idea how to size them down small enough to upload to PS. Sorry! Should I try emailing the photos to Leonid? How would I do that?)

Leon says all are well-cut, with no noticeable bowties. He also says there is minimal visual difference between #1 and #2, so if I were deciding between those two, he''d choose #1 since it''s a lot cheaper. He also says using the .88 tcw pears would most closely resemble the proportions in the ring from his web site photo below. However, he says #3 looks a lot larger and would make the ring look "more important." His personal opinion is that #3 looks most proportional next to my 3.56carat round center. He also believes it won''t be a problem fitting sidestones that large onto my size 3.5 finger. All of that sounds fine and dandy, but there''s a huge difference between $2090 and $3557!
7.gif
The setting is going to cost another $1800-2000 so I need to watch every penny.

What would you do? Of course, I''d love maximum bling, but I can''t go crazy with the $$$ either. I suppose I might be able to talk DH into splurging for #3, but it''d be a really tough sell, especially since he was expecting to spend no more than 3K on this re-set. (ooopsie!) My main question is -- is 1.14tcw pears going to be that much noticeably larger than .88tcw pears? Worth an additional $1500??? Looking at the pics, you can definitely tell they''re bigger, but an additional $1500 is a lot of money. I guess I''m starting to answer my own question here.....

r011-01Wkd.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the .88 tcw pears pair. (Leonid will post the remaining two. Thanks Leonid!)

2027(3st).JPG

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, this ring is going to be gorgeous, Kristy!

I will wait to see the pics Leonid posts before I make my final decision.

The difference between #2 and #3 is probably going to be big- just depends on what type of look you are going for- no matter what it is going to be MAJOR BLINGAGE!!!!
emwink.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would stay with the .88 if you think it will look nice. I would worry that too large would overwhelm you handy and end up looking gaudy. But could he take some pictures with the stones clean, they seem to have a bow tie looking effect to me on the second half of the stone but it could just be the photo. JMO of course.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Also does the size of the pears effect the angles which they will be set at in the ring?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh, what a tough call. i guess if you want your ring to resemble the picture go with the smaller ones. But, I would also have a hard time not going with Leon''s suggestion of the larger stones, just because I think he does amazing work and would trust his artisic eye. $1500 is a big difference but averages out to only and extra $4 a day for 1 year
3.gif
At least that''s how my math works when talking to hubby about jewelry purchases
2.gif
. I really like the look of the picture and the dainty sides though and if budget really is a big issue I think using the smaller pears would still be fabulous..

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
kristy, did you decide against the heart sides?

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
wow Kristy- you''re well on your way to giving Angie Harmon some competition!
2.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say my gut is to go with the artist''s preference....and pick the larger pears. You can''t go wrong.

I think the stone sizes will flow together nicely down the side of the ring.

Talking hubbie into it....that is a different story! But in the grand scheme of the value of your stone and the value of your Leon setting and what this ring will look like, $1500 is a small difference in the overall price/value, in my opinion...if that makes any sense...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2006 6:17:20 PM
Author:KristyDarling

[Leon] says there is minimal visual difference between #1 and #2, so if I were deciding between those two, he''d choose #1 since it''s a lot cheaper.

However, he says #3 looks a lot larger and would make the ring look ''more important.''

I''d say there is some truth in the seller''s opinion... large sidestones would have their appeal, but... it really matters what appeals to you. And the first pair would not be a shabby choice by any means.

From what you say, it sounds like the choice really is between pair #1 and #3. IMO, #1 would be lovely if anything like the picture. And while #3 might look like allot of diamond on the finger, would this make the ring less comfortable? If you do wear it most of the time, this would also be a concern, even if it is technically feasible to put all the parts together
38.gif

My 2c

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
I love the proportions of the ring on LM''s website so I''d go for the smaller ones and use the money saved for a future purchase. What about a lovely Leon Mege RHR or earrings or pendant!!?
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristy what a fabulous dilemma!!! Hmmm....well the choice is tricky, but Leon says that the .88 pears will look very similar to the setting you feel in love with originally which gives me a big clue there......but he also likes the larger as it would make the ring look more " important"...but that is a big rock you have there and JMO that maybe you might be better off sticking to the original idea you had with the .88's if they will match it more closely.

Sorry, I am not much help
11.gif
but if it was ME I think I would go with trying to get the original setting idea that motivated the whole thing in the first place - nothing like having a vision!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Personally I prefer the look of the smaller pears, but you have to go with your gut! Either way you win, as the .88 pears fit the setting you love so choosing them wouldn't be a mistake. Bigger they would still look good! Just a bit different to the original.

Whatever you do I know it will be fabulous!

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Oh man, I like the big pears LOL, but if you like the ring posted, I''d go with the smallest ones to better match the proportions. I think you''d be more happy in the long run. With a 3.56 center stone, I bet budget isn''t a HUGE problem. I with I had your dilema!! Good luck choosing, I can''t wait to hear.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cute pictures!
1.gif

It does look like there''s no difference to talk about between the first two pairs. But... I''d take the larger pears any day. Sure they cost more, bu the difference will not pay for anything comparably grand.

Your choice, of course.

ThreePears.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Ana, thanks for posting them all next to each other for comparision. Seeing ana''s collage, I think I like the looks of the bigger pears too
12.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the opinions, guys. (and thank you Leonid for re-sizing and posting)

Seeing that side-by-side collage by Ana was *extremely* helpful, thanks!!!! I had noticed that Leon hadn''t taken those pics from the same distance, so it was hard to do an accurate comparison. Ana''s thoughtfulness and Photoshop skills have once again saved the day!
21.gif

Mat -- yeah, adding sidestones will definitely add to the flash/gaudiness factor.
9.gif
I know that others will look at me and see how young I am (thirties and a mom of 2, but still look like a college kid) and probably pass judgement, but that''s ok. I''ll wear this big bling because it''ll bring me so much joy looking at it a million times a day!
3.gif
As for the size of the pears and angle at which they''re set, Leon assures me that it''ll work out fine, regardless of whether I go with the .88 or the 1.14.

Mrssalvo -- your $4/day breakdown is pure genius!
9.gif
You are a woman after my own heart. I did decide against the heart sides after talking to Leon. He said he doesn''t recommend using them with white center diamonds because you lose the overall shape of the hearts...they just blend right in with the center stone. However, he does recommend using them with colored center stones because then you can really see the heart shaped sides distinctly.

Sevens -- do you know how big Angie Harmon''s stones are? I saw that one picture in your "new trend" thread and they looked enormous!

Wallermama -- yeah, I trust Leon and agree that the extra $1500 (though painful now) could probably be worthwhile in the long run.
21.gif

Ana -- yup, I think #2 is pretty much out of the running. I''ve had detailed talks with Leon about the comfort factor vs. sidestone size. He assures me that both the .88 and 1.14 pairs will be comfortable enough for daily wear.

Just-looking -- that is an option. But, I think DH would rather I just save the $1500 for a rainy day! At this point I think he''d freak if I wanted another jewelry piece!

Lorelei -- good points. I do love the ring in the photo and those proportions look great. Leon says it''s a 5 or 6 carat center stone (he doesn''t remember) with half carat sides (he thinks). The most important thing to me is that the setting be as delicate as the one in the picture. His claw prongs, sweet little basket, and that pinched shank just SLAY me!!

Marriahlyn -- thanks! But I think because my center stone is so big, budget actually IS a dilemma! lol.

OK, so.............I had a long talk with DH last night. Or, rather, DH gave me a long lecture last night
4.gif
and he basically said that he wasn''t going to say "no" if I wanted the 1.14 pears, but that he really wanted me to be sure that I loved it and wouldn''t want to further upgrade it. He was worried that this would become a pattern of behavior for me: upgrading the ring every 5 months. (does he really think I''m that crazy??) And he wanted me to understand that this "habit" could easily "spiral out of control and p*ss away our money." I was a little offended that he thought I could be so irresponsible, and I reassured him that I just wanted to get this ring right and make sure that it''s something that I''d never want to change in the future. He was also worried that even after buying this ring, I''d keep wanting more and more and more. I told him that I just wanted to get THIS ring perfect, and if I were to buy any diamonds in the future, it''d be something that would occur every several YEARS instead of months. That sort of calmed him. But after that convo, I kind of felt guilty about the whole thing and didn''t want to go forward with this project at all. But, this morning, I woke up and my first thought was, "Yippee! 1.14 pears, here I come!" I dunno, I''m still torn. I know the ring will be gorgeous either way, but I also know that a part of me will always wonder, "How amazing and fabulous would this ring have been if I had gone with the bigger pears?" ARGH!!!! Deep down, I *want* to go with the larger pears, but I''ll feel SO guilty about it. Sorry for the super-long post, guys. Of all people though, I know you''ll understand.
41.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then you know what - go with the bigger pears. You will never be able to plunk down another 1500.00 and upgrade the pears without upgrading the prongs and the settings, etc. I can understand your husband''s concern with it spiraling out of control but five months from now he won''t care about the 1500.00! You will still be happy with your decision and that in turn will make him happy. Mrssalvo makes a good point - and I too look at additional monies this way. Divided by however much money by however many years doesn''t make it seem as bad.

One thing for sure - you will have a stunningly beautiful ring that you will never want to upgrade. It will have reached max size for you and upgrading wouldn''t even be an option. Unless spending the extra 1500.00 will take food out of your children''s mouths just do it. You won''t regret it later but if you don''t go with them you will always be left wondering. I realize 1500.00 is alot of money but not worth your piece of mind in the long run. Don''t feel guilty - he obviously wants you to be pleased. As life goes along, he will get his goodies too. Relax - just do it - and enjoy it!

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
KristyDarling--Go for the larger pears! Once you have this ring complete, I know you won''t want to change it ever. It will be a wonderful piece that can eventually be handed down through your family. It''s going to be stunning and I can''t wait to see it!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks MGR.
21.gif
You know, it''s funny what you said about this being maximum bling and therefore unupgradeable. That''s exactly what DH said! When I told him that the diamonds would span the entire width of my finger, he said "OK, so no more room to add more diamonds? Good!" lol.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Do it - Do it - Do it!!! You will love it. Get the big guys! Look at it this way, if you want a new setting/upgrade down the road, you will have a nice set of matched pears for earrings!
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with MGR Kristy - if the bigger pears is what you are hankering after GET 'EM!!!!!!! After all, you only have this chance to get it right and you don't want any teensy regrets......
11.gif
This is your important ring so have what you want! Don't worry about Hubby, they can all go a bit pale and lecture if they think we are getting carried away and just want reassurance we know when to stop![$$)[$$)][$$)][$$)][$$)]
11.gif
.......well SORT OF know when to stop!
41.gif
[$$)][$$)]

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Kristy -

Go with the larger pairs (#3). I think you''ll always think "what if" or "I should''ve" if you go with #1. I''m sure that either way you''re going to love the finished product, but if you go with #3, then at least you know you ultimately went with your gut!

Just my 0.02. Mull over it...like I said, either way, you''ll love it for sure!

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
Kristy, I like the #3 pears and agree that compared to the overall price of the setting, the $1500 difference isn''t much. The final ring will be gorgeous.

I''ll miss your current setting though. It may be "just" a solitaire, but the side view is especially beautiful and it is one of my favorites on PS!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m cracking up reading everyone''s responses. No wonder PS is my husband''s mortal enemy!
9.gif
He would roll his eyes big-time at all you people egging me on! Seriously though, I feel extremely fortunate about this whole thing. If you had told me 2 years ago that I''d be wearing a 3.5 ct rock AND considering adding sidestones, I would''ve thought you were crazy! DH has been too kind and I know I''m a very lucky girl.

cpster -- you know, I do have my children and future descendants in the back of my mind when I think about jewelry purchases. These things are just "things," but they will far out-live me and will be part of my legacy. I''ve already decided who is getting what when I kick the bucket! (my son will get this 3-stone ring and presumably give it to his wife, my daughter will get my treasured original e-ring by Tacori and all the rest of my jewelry).

Miranda -- you are bad like me! (I like the way you think hehe) Honestly though, I will probably never change this ring once it''s done...except for maybe re-sizing when I plump up down the road.

Lorelei -- it''s reassuring to hear from another wife that I may not the only one who gets lectured about jewelry purchases. I know how VERY lucky I am and I do show my appreciation to DH...in the end, I think that''s what''s most important to him -- to know that I''m truly happy with the purchase and that I know how lucky I am to have it!!

Cutey TT -- yeah, you''re right. I loved my custom solitaire but that question always nagged at me: "wouldn''t this rock have looked nice with two little buddies next to it?"
11.gif
Now I have a chance to get it right and will never have to second-guess about this ring again!

Virginia -- thanks for cheering me on!

Diamond Quester -- I''ll miss my current setting, too. That''s the one HUGE downside of this whole thing.
7.gif
I think it''s beautiful, and unique. But it just wasn''t great for daily wear and I was sick of having it tightened all the time and worrying about the stone''s safety. I''ll miss the heftiness of the shank (made it feel really substantial and contemporary) and the juxtaposition with the very delicate prongs. Definitely an unusual solitaire that I will miss. Maybe someday I''ll change out the head and put a pretty sapphire in it or something!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
UPDATE: I called Leon and decided to go with the 1.14 pears.
10.gif
Also, the cost of the ring won''t be as much as I had originally thought (he had quoted me a price for an extra-thick shank like my original setting). DH and I talked briefly about it today and he supports me going with the 1.14. He just wants me to be sure that I''ll *love* it and won''t tinker around with it anymore. I told him that the cost-per-wear of this ring over time will be pennies and he should just consider himself lucky that I do not wear RHRs!
9.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Yay for you!!!
36.gif
Good luck with your reset!!!! When will it be done?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miranda - about 4 weeks. My little platinum w-band will just have to deal with the loneliness until then.

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Yay! Great choice. I can''t wait to see your Leon creation when it''s done! And now for the difficult part...the waiting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results