shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon Mege sapphire ring

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m pretty certain the door has now closed from Leon’s perspective in terms of allowing me to buy back my diamond. We’d been going back and forth for a month when he abruptly ended the conversation with this:

I find the tone of your last message condescending, insulting and disrespectful.

The finished ring will be shipped to the address on record next week. We will provide the tracking number as soon as it is available.

I was not being any of those things so it was bewildering.

I am so sorry you're going through this. If you don't want to take him to court, then I would sell the ring, and buy yourself something you really love.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Oh.

In that case, I'd go with Slick1's advice and file in Small Claims Court, if for no other reason than to inconvenience him. Rude little man.

I also think there's a reasonable likelihood he won't turn up to fight it, as he sounds the cutting-off-his-nose-to-spite-his-face type, so if that means you win by default, so much the better.

An independent appraisal may support your case in regard to workmanship deficits and disparity with the inspiration image/work order, and is probably worth the outlay. Perhaps one of the kind appraisers who post on PS could give an informal opinion about this?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
op, this may not be helpful but i really feel your pain...

i had to go to small claims in a different state for a different reason a few years ago (shady contractor). i didn't win, it was super stressful, and this guy was shady enough that he knew all the right things to say to not be held to account. he did have to give back some building materials he was trying to withhold for added payment and he did have to take the time out to be in court, so it was better than doing nothing.

BBB was utterly useless, the contractor didn't respond to their inquiry so they just closed it. the most effective thing i did was post detailed reviews on every relevant site i could think of to warn other people. the contractor changed his company name and no doubt is still up to the same tricks.

long story short, it may not help your case directly, but you may get some satisfaction out of widely sharing a factual review of what happened so that others considering a purchase from this vendor can beware. these guys typically know how to skirt the line of the law so it is tough to get restitution but you can be a huge help to someone else out there.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Hopefully this thread will have some impact on his sales, as it appears that's the most important thing to him.

Future clients may feel that with careful discussion, they'll get the LM product they're seeking, but i ask you this: do you really want to work with someone who took a hard line on a painfully dissatisfied customer?? I wouldn't.

Karma dude, karma.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mamadelmar I’m going to echo some others here and try to encourage you to find the strength to contact him one last time and firmly state the ring does NOT match the inspiration, you are NOT happy and he did NOT deliver what you expected. Most importantly, I would come right out and state that you want your stone back and he could have his ring back.

I understand this is difficult, but you need to stick up for yourself. Engraving or modifying the ring will not change your feelings. Selling it at a significant loss is not fair to you either.

I also agree with another poster who said that maybe an appraiser can help with your case.

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
@mamadelmar I’m going to echo some others here and try to encourage you to find the strength to contact him one last time and firmly state the ring does NOT match the inspiration, you are NOT happy and he did NOT deliver what you expected. Most importantly, I would come right out and state that you want your stone back and he could have his ring back.

I understand this is difficult, but you need to stick up for yourself. Engraving or modifying the ring will not change your feelings. Selling it at a significant loss is not fair to you either.

I also agree with another poster who said that maybe an appraiser can help with your case.

I appreciate the encouragement, but over the course of the last month, I told him numerous times that the ring did not look like the picture and that I wanted my stone back. He staunchly refused unless I paid for it and said that I’d hypnotized myself into not liking what he thought was a very beautiful ring.

As a compromise, I then pleaded with him to revise the ring, but he refused to allocate any bench time/resources to it.

I’m still leaning toward just selling it and moving on (and burning lots of sage!), but if anyone has recommendations for a good appraiser (especially in California, where I live), I might consider that.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry, @mamadelmar. What a disaster!

My best suggestion would be to walk away. I know it means accepting that you've been screwed - a thing I HATE! - but slogging away with it would be exhausting and extremely tension inducing - in an ongoing sense.

Since it sounds like it's already been exhausting and tension inducing, and since I don't think there's an ending in sight that would take those feelings away, I'd tend not to add to them, and just step back and take a deep breath.

I know this doesn't get you your diamond back, but perhaps after a break you could sell this ring and start saving again. Which - to be absolutely clear - you should NOT have had to do. But since we are where we are, I'd step back, regroup, then approach getting something you truly like in the future.

It's unlikely you'll get what you paid if you sell the current ring. But it WILL make a good first step towards a new diamond, and that's probably the best way forward at this point.

Big hugs to you!

L

lydial

This situation makes me feel pain for the OP. PS is not a place where LM gets much business anymore. Maybe her experience requires a review elsewhere? Any ideas?

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
Any suggestions for *reputable* vendors/stores I should contact about selling the ring to or doing a trade? I’m waiting to hear back from Grace of Jewels by Grace and would welcome any recommendations.

I’ve never sold on eBay or LoupeTroop before and wonder if that’s an avenue I should explore?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Jon at August Vintage/Distinctive Gem offers consignment at times. Dover Jewelry of Miami does too. There a ton of his pieces on 1st Dibs. Maybe see who the sellers are and if they buy? I can't tell looking at their site who the sellers are. Hopefully not him directly.

I think the price is going to be a barrier for Loupe Troup, etc., unless you use an appraiser as an intermediary. That makes the transaction more secure for a buyer. I think Dave Atlas has done that before, based upon listings I have seen.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil Beatty has been an intermediary, but I recommend that you consign so as to not have the stress of dealing with it. However, I’d first send it to David Klass to have the shank engraved. He uses an outstanding engraver. You might even end up liking it more. But regardless, I’d move on. Most of us have made a mistake or sold at a loss before at least once. Sometimes it’s worth it to leave the stress behind and start over fresh.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
My heart hurts for you reading your story! sometimes there are nasty situations and all you can do is control what you actually have in your power. sure there are always woulda coulda shouldas - but it sounds like leon is just extremely unpleasant and unprofessional and you could've faced the same problems no matter how diligent you had been. this seems far more a reflection of his character than your mistake.

Admittedly, I find the ring style stunning and may even use it as inspiration for a loose sapphire I have. I hope that isn't offensive, as the story behind it is painful for you and I don't want to strum on any heartstrings! i do think it is really beautiful, and although not quite like the inspo setting, it has it's own striking beauty.

pretty or not - i understand the desire to wash your hands of it. i wish you the best of luck - either with engraving to see if you can gussy it up and make it more pleasing, or if you decide to sell it. sorry you went through this and hope this bumpy road smooths itself out for you soon

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neil Beatty has been an intermediary, but I recommend that you consign so as to not have the stress of dealing with it. However, I’d first send it to David Klass to have the shank engraved. He uses an outstanding engraver. You might even end up liking it more. But regardless, I’d move on. Most of us have made a mistake or sold at a loss before at least once. Sometimes it’s worth it to leave the stress behind and start over fresh.

DS, I agree. I had two rings that I did not like at all, and with engraving I now love them. Somehow the engraving transformed them in a way I could not have imagined.
One of the rings was a somewhat similar issue as the OP’s. I sent my diamond to a (then) well recommended PS bench. He talked me into doing a setting he had been wanting to try. I assumed because he was an artist it would be beautiful. It wasn’t.
I hated it and never wore it. The engraving saved the day. I don’t know what there is about engraving, but it brought the stone to life.
The engraver changed the shape of the setting slightly and then engraved.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, I agree. I had two rings that I did not like at all, and with engraving I now love them. Somehow the engraving transformed them in a way I could not have imagined.
One of the rings was a somewhat similar issue as the OP’s. I sent my diamond to a (then) well recommended PS bench. He talked me into doing a setting he had been wanting to try. I assumed because he was an artist it would be beautiful. It wasn’t.
I hated it and never wore it. The engraving saved the day. I don’t know what there is about engraving, but it brought the stone to life.

E05B9206-400F-48F7-AF60-B203F404151F.jpeg

F116C837-93DC-4C7E-99E0-FC8C9CB07377.jpeg

wow, that engraving is so beautifully done. i like how he gave definition to the prongs also, really changed the feel of the ring. did you find yourself wearing it afterwards?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not to thread jack too much... but this engraving is beautiful! Do you have any more pictures? And is the ring shank wider than it looks or is this fairly delicate work?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to thread jack too much... but this engraving is beautiful! Do you have any more pictures? And is the ring shank wider than it looks or is this fairly delicate work?

It is super delicate work by a master engraver, and for the information of the OP, I believe it was $400 total. $300 for the engraving, and $100 for the prongs.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is super delicate work by a master engraver, and for the information of the OP, I believe it was $400 total. $300 for the engraving, and $100 for the prongs.

Stunning!!! The shank looks around 2-3mm?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!
2mm at the base and gradually tapers to 1mm where it meets the stone.

Wow. That makes the engraving all the more impressive. Really sensational! Thanks for all the info, and please forgive me the threadjack, OP!

Beautiful-disaster

Shiny_Rock
Safe to say this jeweller is leaving a trail of unhappy customers behind him.
my heart breaks for you - as I know what it is to love a stone.
Honestly he should be ashamed of himself.
Nothing worse then someone who thinks they know what you want better then you do.
I do really wish you would send him the ring back but understand some situations get more stressful then they are worth.
I’m sure plenty of people will be avoiding his services and telling others to do the same.

If his ring really was worth $14,000 her wouldn’t have any problems swapping you back - right? What an ass.

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
Things took a marginally better turn. Leon agreed to take the ring back in exchange for one of his settings *without* a keystone. I am hugely relieved because the estimates I got for selling the sapphire ring were shockingly low. The setting is classic Leon Mege with exquisite workmanship. Sadly, it sits much too high for me so I will likely sell it, apply the proceeds toward another ring or a sapphire for my Barier setting, and put all this behind me.

Your words of support gave me much comfort so thank you!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Things took a marginally better turn. Leon agreed to take the ring back in exchange for one of his settings *without* a keystone. I am hugely relieved because the estimates I got for selling the sapphire ring were shockingly low. The setting is classic Leon Mege with exquisite workmanship. Sadly, it sits much too high for me so I will likely sell it, apply the proceeds toward another ring or a sapphire for my Barier setting, and put all this behind me.

Can you post a pic?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a little confused by the latest update - so you'll be sending this completed sapphire ring back to Leon, and he in turn will create another mount for a centerstone that you provide?

Are there any restrictions on what this new mount can or cannot be/include? Any restrictions on type or size of centerstone that you will provide? Do you even want a mount from Leon at this point?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

Wait, so you traded your diamond for the sapphire ring (that was supposed to be worth $14,000 or at least the cost of your diamond which If I remember correctly was around 10k), and then the only solution he provided was to trade the entire sapphire and setting for one of his settings without a stone?!

Is that the solution that you wanted OP or suggested? Or is this the only "compromise" he would commit to?

& Please others correct me if I'm wrong because I do not seek him out due to the personality profile he's accumulated & I can already tell we wouldn't work well together, but are his settings really worth 10k?!

I worry that this trade was even better for him OP.....

But I do hope others that are more knowledgeable about his settings can chime in!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I'm a little confused by the latest update - so you'll be sending this completed sapphire ring back to Leon, and he in turn will create another mount for a centerstone that you provide?

Are there any restrictions on what this new mount can or cannot be/include? Any restrictions on type or size of centerstone that you will provide? Do you even want a mount from Leon at this point?

If I read her post correctly It sounds like she didn't trade it to have a ring made for a stone that she has.....shes just trading it and then immediately selling the empty setting.

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
I returned the sapphire ring and he sent me the setting for this ring: https://www.leonmege.com/portfolio/...d-art-deco-halo-winston-salem-marlboro-detail
(My photos are terrible.)

My diamond was worth $10k at the time I exchanged it. When I got quotes for selling the sapphire ring, they were all under $2k. I estimate this setting is worth around $3,500-4,500. As I said, not a great outcome, but marginally better than where I was a few weeks ago!

Attachments

• F180E16E-CD7E-4698-BDB0-4A874CCF07B0.jpeg
    F180E16E-CD7E-4698-BDB0-4A874CCF07B0.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 92
  • CE79B038-0EA2-4BA1-96EA-043250A48E0E.jpeg
    CE79B038-0EA2-4BA1-96EA-043250A48E0E.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 94
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results