shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon Mege sapphire ring

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry that you could not reach a resolution with him. The finishing leaves something to be desired. I wonder if you could send it to someone like Sako of Cicada Jewelry or David Klass to add some engraving or maybe clean up the bezel a little bit. Even the milgrain on the bezel looks messy. However, because this has been a bad transaction you still may not like it!

I don't know that the setting can be fixed with how it is built necessarily, to add in the French cuts that were really agreed upon, but not done.

Perhaps maybe look into consigning the ring with Jewels by Grace? You might be able to get more value out of it and purchase a new diamond that way.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what is worth, I think that the ring is very pretty. The sapphire is a lovely shade of blue and I like the clean lines of the setting, I wouldn’t engrave it. While the ring doesn’t necessarily scream LM to me, it is a pretty ring. However, if you are not happy, then it doesn’t matter how much any of us might like the ring. I am sorry to say, but it seems that you were very soft in your latest conversations with the maker. If you do not like the ring, send it back and demand your diamond back. If he doesn’t send it back within a week, file for small claims. Don’t be afraid to chase after your own happiness. Leon can sell his own ring, he shouldn’t have any problem with that.

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry the ring didn't turn out how you envisioned and anticipated. I strongly agree with @SimoneDi ~ I would contact Leon again and firmly state what you want/demand.
To my eyes, the ring he made you is not close to the inspiration ring. Obviously, it's not supposed to be exact but I'm not seeing the similarities much at all.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry @mamadelmar I have nothing to suggest for comfort.
And then those French cuts, I wouldn’t have guessed they were from Leon Mege.
Maybe he only showcases his true antique frenchies (TRADEMARK) goods and this appears to be something different and flatter?

I know that doesn’t help, I’m sorry.

This. Are they dirty? Is it a bad pic? Can you take a pic in different lighting?

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry this is happening to you and I wish you had a better outcome. People like Leon are narcissistic bullies that don’t respond to rational conversations. I feel like the only way for you to get your point across is to be stern and set in your ways and basically act the same as him because that’s really the only way narcissists respond. We always hope that being understanding and cooperative will work in everyone’s favor but sometimes it doesn’t. At this point, this wonderful beautiful project of yours has become a huge knot in your stomach and you need answers and a positive conclusion. We are truly the only advocate for ourselves and I say you go in there and demand your diamond back and he can have his ring back and do whatever he wants with it. You played nice this whole time. And that ring is doing nothing but leaving a sour taste in your mouth. I know that it may sound easy for some people, but for non-confrontational people, this is a scary scenario! But know that we have your back here at PS. And the only thing that’s important here is your happiness! He did not deliver what he promised, so you get your money back (in this case your diamond). It should be plain and simple but he’s being a stubborn little child.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to add one more thing that even based on the vague work order you have a way out; it is stated “...and a matching set of french cut diamonds per image”, later, it is mentioned again “...per image provided by client”. You clearly showed an image of TAPERED French cut diamonds, he did not deliver. End of story. Send the ring back along with a 30 day demand letter. I bet that you will be celebrating Labor Day with your old diamond. If he claims that he “sold” it or anything along those lines, I would demand a payment based on “like” stone. If he refuses, I would open a case with a small claims court.

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
I did tell Leon several times - in no uncertain terms - that I wanted my diamond back and that he did not deliver a ring that looked like the one in the photo, but he was intransigent and said I’d have to pay for it. I see that the maximum value one can claim in Small Claims Court in NY is $10,000, which was the approximate value of my stone in December. I’m just not sure I have a strong case as the work order says all sales are final - no exchanges or returns. If the judge had an untrained eye, s/he may not see the stark contrast between Leon’s ring and the VCA ring.

Admittedly, my photos aren’t the best, but I can confirm that in real life, the French cuts do not scintillate, though the ring is very clean. The sapphire has a beautiful glow, but the diamonds are just flat.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I did tell Leon several times - in no uncertain terms - that I wanted my diamond back and that he did not deliver a ring that looked like the one in the photo, but he was intransigent and said I’d have to pay for it. I see that the maximum value one can claim in Small Claims Court in NY is $10,000, which was the approximate value of my stone in December. I’m just not sure I have a strong case as the work order says all sales are final - no exchanges or returns. If the judge had an untrained eye, s/he may not see the stark contrast between Leon’s ring and the VCA ring.

Admittedly, my photos aren’t the best, but I can confirm that in real life, the French cuts do not scintillate, though the ring is very clean. The sapphire has a beautiful glow, but the diamonds are just flat.

The work order terms as to final don't matter here. He didn't deliver what was agreed.

If you are inclined to still get your stone back, a very strong letter with some consumer protection law quoted and his work order terms should assist.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, the original bill of sale dated 12/19/2019 references "per image provided by client" ... is the image actually attached to the bill of sale? Is it referring to the VCA inspiration ring photo you posted in the beginning of this thread?

I think that language provides an opportunity for you to again request an un-doing of the transaction based on his failure to provide the agreed-upon ring design (i.e., instead of the tapered, thinner rectangular stones as shown in the image referenced by the bill of sale, LM's ring has squattier/same-size side-stones).

The side-stone elements of the LM ring can be described as a major departure from the agreed design ... unless you approved those exact french-cuts?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP, when there is a case, small claims *most of the time* sides with the consumer. You have a case. Your image is different. You can even explain it: “at the time you didn’t know because you are not a jeweler, but apparently, the side stones per the image provided were tapered, the ones delivered to you are not, they are different and not the ones you envisioned/agreed to. I personally don’t think that you will even have to go to small claims. Send the ring back ASAP with signature required. Attach a demand letter, send the same one via email as well and just wait.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have two not-fun options, but rest assured you will get through this, and one day you will look back on this scenario and remember how bad you felt and how much you learned from the experience, but it won’t be nearly as upsetting as it is right now. All the hugs!!

Your options: fight it, or move on and sell/trade that ring ASAP.

No matter how beautiful the ring is, it is tainted by this experience. I’ve been there (similar but very different scenario) and I just couldn’t enjoy the piece at all. So if it’s too upsetting to think about fighting with Leon, I’d sell or trade the ring ASAP, and use the money to sit and think or trade for something beautiful, that can be a symbol of your resilience or a token from a “life lesson”.

In situations like this, I try to remind myself that it sucks to make a mistake but as long as I haven’t caused grievous harm to myself or others... it is not permanent. Out of all the mistakes you can make in life, money mistakes are one of the few we can come back from (one way or another, and eventually!). So hang in there. And best wishes!

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
OP, the original bill of sale dated 12/19/2019 references "per image provided by client" ... is the image actually attached to the bill of sale? Is it referring to the VCA inspiration ring photo you posted in the beginning of this thread?

I think that language provides an opportunity for you to again request an un-doing of the transaction based on his failure to provide the agreed-upon ring design (i.e., instead of the tapered, thinner rectangular stones as shown in the image referenced by the bill of sale, LM's ring has squattier/same-size side-stones).

The side-stone elements of the LM ring can be described as a major departure from the agreed design ... unless you approved those exact french-cuts?

The image was not attached to the work order or bill of sale but I have emails that verify it was the point of reference. Leon sent me the attached photo of the side stones prior to constructing the ring. I spoke to him on the phone after I got this and pointed out that they weren’t tapered and he said they actually were and I’d see it when they were set. Sadly, I don’t have that in writing. 6287DAD6-0487-4FBA-A960-4E2B812D566A.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not read all the posts in the thread, however, I would be inclined to cut my losses to protect my mental well-being and stay on the moral high ground.

With regard to the ring, I would probably have it remade with new french cut side stones with more tapering, and keep the existing side stones for another project, e.g. with an EC CS.

It is a nice ring as it is, however, if it brings you nothing except misery and bad memories, then I believe it needs to go.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

DK :))

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Just read quickly through this post and am sorry to hear all the drama surrounding this piece. (First time posting on PS, long time lurking)

I agree that it does not match the original inspiration ring because the pronounced tapering effect of the original wasn't closely replicated with his choice of side stone proportions.

I wanted to offer a possible solution that might make things appear better, even if it is not exactly the vision you had in mind.

There is a corner where the bezel of the sapphire meets the edge of the side stone channel setting. this creates a visually jarring and abrupt change in the flow of the eye along the ring. I have two possible small changes that might make it look better (though I'm not a jeweler so these might not actually be possible):

Option 1: ADD to the EXTERNAL contour (fill between the blue and red line): have him solder an additional piece to create the effect of the visual flow. It would mean more metal in that area (in lieu of the stones you originally wanted)

Option 2: FILE off the INNER points of this transition corner to remove the sharpness and eliminate the visual effects of having a true corner there (this one I'm not sure is possible without compromising the setting) E169BE3C-9022-459A-AFD0-45E20F013BFF~2.jpeg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I always got the vibe from him that he had a piss-poor attitude. As if he'd step over others to make his way. It's sad to say that initial intuition might have been correct.

If I were you I'd raise hell but that's just me. I'm an introvert that is quite shy but I don't let others move me where they'd like and I definitely don't sit quiet.

Sending you dust for whatever road you take, I hope it brings you insurmountable joy, unlike this process. ♥️

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in the minority in that I think you likely have gone as far as you can with Leon. There is a very good chance that if you send the ring back with a demand letter he will refuse the package or send it right back to you with a nasty letter. I’m sorry you don’t love your ring. Since it gives you a stomachache I suggest putting it somewhere safe for awhile. Perhaps after a bit of time passes you might find some enjoyment from it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grabbed your photo and did a quick sketch to illustrate what combining both suggestions together might do. This minor change may be all you need to do to be in love with the ring again.

31BC92E4-F8B9-4352-AE63-1CC5C8334271.jpeg~2.jpg

I like this idea, but I think it will have the end result of accentuating the fact the sidestones are not graduated enough. They’ll look even straighter? They are barely tapered as is. I’m actually not convinced that they are tapered gradually from one to the next. They almost look like two exact same size tapered, butting up next to each other and the metal channel conceals that. Done so to utilize current stock instead of custom cut to fit?

That’s no help to you though OP, sorry to say.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't think spending more money on fixing the ring is going to make you happy with it. may be better to sell it and buy something else with the proceeds. it does look like the french cuts are slightly tapered in the photo of them loose, but very slightly, not anywhere near the inspo photo...

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would he be able to argue that he can’t replicate a designer piece and therefore he just did an inspiration?

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much. I really appreciate your perspectives and the fact that you UNDERSTAND me and why I’m so unhappy with the ring. @emmy12, you are so lovely to take the time to mock up the revision!

I really think at this point, the only thing that would compel Leon to return my stone would be a legal ruling. I don’t have the resources to retain a lawyer right now or I’d strongly consider doing so. Small Claims Court sounds exhausting. I don’t want to interact with him ever again.

I am pretty certain I will sell or exchange the ring so that I need not think of him or wear something with his hallmark on it.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
My heart breaks for you, I know the feeling of just feeling like you made a deal with the devil and still ended up with nothing.

I wonder if you had a professional opinion, like an appraiser look at the whole mess and write up am assessment. Might that give you more confidence for small claims?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think someone that did not have a different vision in mind would love to have this ring. Also the Leon Mege name attracts a lot of attention. I bet you could sell it with a consigner. And there are many on here that would work hard to find you a deal on a replacement ring! <3

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to see it really didnt improve in real life. You may have the solace of knowing that no one reading this thread will ever buy from him again in the future. As this is monumental, his job was to use his expertise to help find a happy transaction. Instead he really seems to have used them to make the transaction go as far in his favour as he could. He also seems to have squelch any objections you had from that position. Which is really wow.

I would also vote you protect your sanity by reselling through a consigner. The cost in time and extra grief is not worth the shortfall you will likely take. Things will get better. This is temporary, and you can rebuild your old ring if you hold out. Itll be a little while but this might help as the quest for a new daimond will be more enjoyable once this is a more distant memory.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
How much is he asking for the cost of the setting, as in your OP? IMO that will determine whether the better advice is to just pay that (over time, if he will allow this) and get your old ring back, or consign and take the financial hit there instead.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. I am so sorry this didn’t work out. I am rather angry on your behalf as well. Are you in NY? Filing a small claims court case is really not difficult here. Perhaps just the filing and notification to him will spur him to act more proactively and professionally? Of course walking away is less painful but I fear this will stay with you for a while and fester.

As an aside, my DH had to file a small claim against a local business. The owner didn’t show up for court and we got a judgement against her. I don’t think we will ever see the money from her as she went out of business. You would likely have more luck with getting results here because, imo he isn’t going anywhere.

It’s a pretty a sapphire and ring but NOT what you were seeking. I also don’t think it is quite up to LM’s par. Again, I am so sorry.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgive me if I missed something. Is there anyway you can get your diamond back?

mamadelmar

Shiny_Rock
I’m pretty certain the door has now closed from Leon’s perspective in terms of allowing me to buy back my diamond. We’d been going back and forth for a month when he abruptly ended the conversation with this:

I find the tone of your last message condescending, insulting and disrespectful.

The finished ring will be shipped to the address on record next week. We will provide the tracking number as soon as it is available.

I was not being any of those things so it was bewildering.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results