shape
carat
color
clarity

Learning from your own stone...

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All!

As I’m checking all the different threads and the wealth of knowledge members post it’s sometimes a bit dizzying with all things to consider...leakage, obstruction, sarin, ASET, LGF, fat arrows, high crown, star length, flat top (I still don’t understand that one but I assume my stone is), and the list goes on and on.

I know you can buy an ASET yourself but let’s shelf that idea for a moment if we can.

Say I’d like to get to know my stone better so in the event someday in the future I decide to go bigger, how can I make sense of the plethora of info here and learn with my OWN stone and potentially avoid misses that my current stone may have for a future stone.

How can I get techy and geeky with my own diamond considering it’s very pretty to look at, but not ideal?

I remember when I got married the first time GIA didn’t grade their cuts. Now they do. GIA was still dominant back then for grading whilst AGS was also around of course. It seems H&A are now dominant. I definitely heard of it back then, but you hear more and more now.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All!

As I’m checking all the different threads and the wealth of knowledge members post it’s sometimes a bit dizzying with all things to consider...leakage, obstruction, sarin, ASET, LGF, fat arrows, high crown, star length, flat top (I still don’t understand that one but I assume my stone is), and the list goes on and on.

I know you can buy an ASET yourself but let’s shelf that idea for a moment if we can.

Say I’d like to get to know my stone better so in the event someday in the future I decide to go bigger, how can I make sense of the plethora of info here and learn with my OWN stone and potentially avoid misses that my current stone may have for a future stone.

How can I get techy and geeky with my own diamond considering it’s very pretty to look at, but not ideal?

I remember when I got married the first time GIA didn’t grade their cuts. Now they do. GIA was still dominant back then for grading whilst AGS was also around of course. It seems H&A are now dominant. I definitely heard of it back then, but you hear more and more now.

Have you considered having GIA grade it, now, and compare the two certs?
What about taking it to a gemologist to get images made of your stone?
Getting a Gemology kit of your own will also help you, in the future.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi All!

Do you have a lab report for your current diamond? If so, you can post that and people can tell you if there is anything they take issue with and give you input as to what to look for going forward that they think would yield something nicer. Also, do you have photos of the diamond? Would love to see it in "real life". I know others will want to see any ASET or IS images you might have so they can tell you what might be less than desirable and/or what looks good on them. Have you run it through the HCA? Here's the thing: This is your diamond NOW. Unless you have definitive plans of upgrading, don't go down this path. Enjoy your diamond. Unless you were already unhappy with it before you found this website, don't focus on it. The point of this forum (I hope) is to help NEW shoppers find a nice diamond. The purpose is not to make those who already have their diamond and were happy with it now be super bummed out and view it in a less positive way. And it is my suggestion to not purchase an ASET scope. If your diamond doesn't fair well with it, you are going to be extremely upset and there's no need for that. Also, maybe I'm a total idiot but I can't even figure out how to use it property because what I see in the little scope I purchased is not the same as what I saw in the professional version at my jeweler. If you ARE in the market for a new stone, don't worry about what your current one "is" or "isn't"... just let those here help guide you to something beautiful in and of itself.

headlight

Ideal_Rock

@Matthews1127 What is this gemology kit you are referring to... the personal viewer scopes are something else? Thank you!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I’m sorry if I misspoke. This will be my second wedding. I meant to say, my last ER did not have a cut grading. That didn’t exist then. My new ER does.
I could get a gemology kit but would I really use it? I’m a cost per wear/use type of person. :)

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are in the U.S., I will mail you my idealscope and loupe to use. It would be cheap to mail, and you can send back when you are done with it.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I’m sorry if I misspoke. This will be my second wedding. I meant to say, my last ER did not have a cut grading. That didn’t exist then. My new ER does.
I could get a gemology kit but would I really use it? I’m a cost per wear/use type of person. :)

So you ARE happy with your current diamond???

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you are in the U.S., I will mail you my idealscope and loupe to use. It would be cheap to mail, and you can send back when you are done with it.

That is such a nice offer!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
@headlight ITA! If I upgrade I would not be able to trade. I’m actually partial to this stone and may turn it into a 3 stone ring which I also love, but that’s way down the line. I actually found PS prior to us pulling the trigger on my current stone. I was hesitant at the time due to its fluorescence. Total panic mode after finding negative reviews especially with SF like I have. So far the only issue I had with its SBF was at a bowling alley. It had nothing to do with its cool blue effect that it gives off at times. It actually looked black in some of the lighting inside the establishment. That freaked me out a bit especially since we were newly engaged.

This stone scored 1.9 on HCA. I can find the lab report from a previous thread. I know it’s shallow at 58.9. Sometimes it does go dark in the center. It looks great outside and amazing in my sitting room at home at at work as well. :)

I think PS does an amazing job at helping those find stones and steers people in the right direction. I love that!

I was going to look for a small CBI for a RHR but decided to save my money and wait for a larger stone instead because I would like something a little bigger. DSS...darnit!!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
So you ARE happy with your current diamond???

Yes! I am. I was posing the question for when I do go bigger what are some look outs for a novice like myself that’s not too technical, but still would like a better basic understanding. Until PS I never knew GIA rounds up or down. That was a shocker to me. I also thought Triple X was king especially since I hadn’t seen a stone with a cut grading before.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock

That is such an amazing offer, thank you! I’m afraid I don’t know how to use an Idealscope tho. :(

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is 00:58 here, else I'd be writing a long reply! - for better or worse.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did some digging for you. Found your specs. Also, noticed a request for me that I had not got notification about, but obliged now that I saw it.

Original thread:

Hi @sledge when you have a moment can you run my stone thru your cut calculator. So neat you created this tool! I didn’t want to hijack the other thread.
Yesterday, while taking photos I also took my own ASET? picture. I thought it looked really neat. I know my stone is not ideal -just curious. I’m happy with it either way. If I remember correctly it scored 1.9 HCA 91EDB9D4-0ED6-4C36-92BE-A848EDD759B4.jpeg AE95A1C7-443A-4582-81C7-AF927A9BA389.jpeg C79279BF-70FD-4BBC-935E-500CC0440109.png

1582167062834.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such an amazing offer, thank you! I’m afraid I don’t know how to use an Idealscope tho. :(

If you don't have the fancy light device, then use a white screen app on your phone/tablet or place against a lamp as shown in the above website.

If you want to take photos of the IS....

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use my idealscope all the time. Never could figure out if I was getting the true image with the asset.

Now to read the directions lol

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While you do not know geeky and technical stuff, you are as experienced as other regular PS members here. A novice would not use the cupping method to take the arrows photo. A novice would completely mess up photo taking under a direct sunlight.
You know exactly how to assess a diamond under different conditions and what to look for.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
While you do not know geeky and technical stuff, you are as experienced as other regular PS members here. A novice would not use the cupping method to take the arrows photo. A novice would completely mess up photo taking under a direct sunlight.
You know exactly how to assess a diamond under different conditions and what to look for.
Haha that’s PS and me reading at night different threads. I’ve always loved diamonds. Photography is a little passion of mine, but life gets in the way and have not taken out my good camera in a long while.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results