carat
color
clarity

Lavender spinel

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L @Autumn in New England

Can you guys explain to me what the deal is with spinel from Vietnam?

I used to think that Burmese spinel was well regarded. Then Mahenge was the one with the big dollars. What has Vietnam got to do with it these days?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L @Autumn in New England

Can you guys explain to me what the deal is with spinel from Vietnam?

I used to think that Burmese spinel was well regarded. Then Mahenge was the one with the big dollars. What has Vietnam got to do with it these days?

Burma is famous for red spinels, but Vietnam is famous for cobalt blues and lavenders.
Mahenge are pink and in their own category.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
This is a perfectly lovely stone, to be sure. But to me it's not really comparable material to the first. It's much more blue and less "crisp" than the other. My eyes see a lot of anticipatory gray (did I just coin that phrase?). Jim also says it's greenish with only a 2 saturation in certain lighting. I'm not knocking the stone... it's just not approaching Luc Yen lavender, IMO. But I do thank you for the suggestion. It was good to see some competition! And I still agree with you that the price of the first stone is exorbitant.

P.S. Ok, I know this is exactly what you wanted to avoid, but now I think you're Jim. lol

The vendor did not say it was Lavender. Neither did I. Niether is the stone you wanted opinions on.

No, I'm sorry, but I'm not this Jim. This is exactly why I very seldom give links to any vendor. I stay out of the fray so to speak. As I was in the trade and realized that some might either not believe I was or think when I do throw a suggestion out there, I'm that person I refer too.

I was asked twice by TL and you, so I gave the link. Nothing more, nothing less.

No problem. I hope you find what you're looking for and hope you're not still holding a grudge.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t know anything about this seller, but I found a well cut Luc Yen lavender here.

Vlad Yavorskiiy had the most gorgeous lavender I ever saw, but I can’t find it on Instagram.

Beautiful stone, but it is not Lavender. Another violet blue stone that is bright pastel.

I know this vendor. Great stones and greater prices, but she is trustworthy.

If money is no object…

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
very good question regarding @LilAlex and that coral ring

Did you ever end up grabbing that coral ring?

Two asks so I have to answer! I was supposed to pick it up on Friday but then I got stuck at work. (I verbally committed to it, but it's not like anyone is going to swoop in and snipe it after what must be decades in the inventory.) He's in a tough part of town (access-wise, not safety-wise!) and I overestimated my end-of-week efficiency.

I can try to get some photos of the amethyst pendant and would even pick it up if anyone is super-interested. Or I can pass along his contact info. It's a super-simple and barely-there mounting so it doesn't scream any particular period. Maybe it's round and not polygonal?

He kinda left me alone with a tray of goodies a la @mrs-b in Olive Garden. Btw, I'm pretty sure I've seen her working her grift at a card table outside of our local Olive Garden (#paidpartnership #brandambassador).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two asks so I have to answer! I was supposed to pick it up on Friday but then I got stuck at work. (I verbally committed to it, but it's not like anyone is going to swoop in and snipe it after what must be decades in the inventory.) He's in a tough part of town (access-wise, not safety-wise!) and I overestimated my end-of-week efficiency.

I can try to get some photos of the amethyst pendant and would even pick it up if anyone is super-interested. Or I can pass along his contact info. It's a super-simple and barely-there mounting so it doesn't scream any particular period. Maybe it's round and not polygonal?

He kinda left me alone with a tray of goodies a la @mrs-b in Olive Garden. Btw, I'm pretty sure I've seen her working her grift at a card table outside of our local Olive Garden (#paidpartnership #brandambassador).

all very well=)2
but just saying
1712470987516.png
i will cry a river if you miss out on the coral ring

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t know anything about this seller, but I found a well cut Luc Yen lavender here.

Vlad Yavorskiiy had the most gorgeous lavender I ever saw, but I can’t find it on Instagram.

I do want to say TL, this stone’s color is probably a very good representation, at least in the light it was taken under. How it looks in different lights and latitudes is anyone guess, but she is reliable.

Finger pictures are much more reliable than pictures on a white background despite what some say. White backgrounds always make pastel and even more intense colored stones look more vivid. I say this from experience of taking video and pictures of thousands of stones in the past and unfortunately buying stones I had only seen on a white background that turned out to be totally disappointing. Not nearly as vivid as their white background pictures. I stopped buying stones that were only shown on a white background because of that.

Time for bed.

Good night.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone, but it is not Lavender. Another violet blue stone that is bright pastel.

I know this vendor. Great stones and greater prices, but she is trustworthy.

If money is no object…

To me it’s lavender and described as such. I understand that lavender can be more or less pink based on people’s tastes. I mean lavender flowers, depending on the light, can be more pink/purple or bluish. Besides, these gems, the good quality ones, tend to color shift from pink to a violet. In mixed lighting, you may be able to see both colors interplay.

IMG_2133.jpeg IMG_2132.jpeg

Last edited:

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see this one from Africa Gems, @Autumn in New England?

OMG that’s so pretty!!!! But I want a tiny touch more blue!

Haha after complaining that Autumn’s initial stone is too periwinkle!

It’s a difficult colour!!! Why can’t these stones just be lavender jadeite colour?! To me that’s perfect lavender!

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
I have seen @b.g.stones on Instagram share lovely Luc Yen lavenders, in a range of sizes, undertones and clarities. But most were in their stories. I think a few here have bought from them and are considered reputable. Might be worth asking what options they have and to get another ballpark of price.

Here's one for example.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
OMG that’s so pretty!!!! But I want a tiny touch more blue!

Haha after complaining that Autumn’s initial stone is too periwinkle!

It’s a difficult colour!!! Why can’t these stones just be lavender jadeite colour?! To me that’s perfect lavender!

I want a little more blue too. Even with lavender jadeite, there are so many shades!

I think I like this kind of wild intense shade.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
I want a little more blue too. Even with lavender jadeite, there are so many shades!

Love that one's intense color.
As someone with minimal jade knowledge, this piece struck me a few weeks ago. Not just because I love the color and translucency, but also this freeform but 'still recognizably oval cab' shape. Not sure how else to describe it!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG that ring is the perfect lavender. Soooo rich and intense! I never managed to buy one! Have you?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all,

Maybe about 5 years ago, I attempted, in earnest, to source a lavender spinel. It didn't seem to matter how much I spent or from whom I purchased the material, the stone would look great in photos, videos, and indoors. But as soon as we ventured into natural light, she'd become a corpse. I just could not find a stone that did not gray out and become "steely" in daylight. So I started thinking that was just the nature of the beast and gave up. I ultimately went with a "periwinkle" sapphire instead, and called it a day.

Flash forward to the past week, and a dealer friend found a stone from Vietnam that she felt was noteworthy. It's around 2.5ct., eye clean, and supposedly has no gray in daylight. I also wanted a pear shape (for a specific design I was planning), so that's an added bonus. It comes with a Lotus cert. But the price! I'm not one to show sticker shock, but I am without a doubt feeling it here. Would I be a lunatic to pay $8,500 for this gem? Are people really paying these prices for a light purple spinel under 3ct.?
oh%20thwap.gif

Autumn

P.S. This is not the dealer's pricing. It's a non-negotiable price she was quoted from her Bangkok connection, plus her usual finder's fee. So she has no control over it.

icm_fullxfull.646718793_ns4n321xba8kwskk44wc.jpg

Hi there, @Autumn in New England -

I know what it is to search for a gem for years - all the while watching prices go up and up and up, as availability goes down. Opal and pearls spring to mind for me. And don't even start me on blue sapphire!

Lavender is such a tricky color - that mix of pink, blue and grey (yes - grey! I said it!) is tricky to hit dead center, without one or the other becoming dominant. It's such a delicate, balanced, alluring, soft, genuinely pretty stone - any variation to the left or the right can leave you in the land of Not Quite Right.

I think the one you posted is gorgeous - and just to be clear, I've been half-heartedly browsing for lavender spinel and sapphire for quite some time. The one you've posted seems to be the classic color, without deviating into the land of neon or light purple. If I'd been genuinely looking for years, if I could afford it, and if it had reached the top of the pile of spending priorities, I'd be saying "I'm done" - and I'd be throwing my money down.

Sooner or later you have to either buy something or accept that you'll never own one. And that's the Keynesian cross of supply vs demand: which has more pain - paying that price, or accepting you'll never get what you want?

"Years" is a long time to look. If this one ticks all the boxes except price, and if I could afford it, I'd probably buy it. But that's on the basis that I've genuinely spent years looking. Frankly, I'd rather the sticker shock than endless years of "That one I didn't pul the trigger on was the perfect color...."

Remember, the value of anything is only what someone is willing to pay for it. To others, it might not be worth it. But to you - perhaps it is? Good luck with a tough decision!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whether it’s worth it?

I think it’s all about the level of saturation of color, whether it shifts or desaturates in different lighting.

If it’s a performer in those aspects in the definition of ‘lavender’ you are looking for …… you aren’t easily going to find it /something comparable elsewhere for cheaper.

Sucks your vendor didn’t find it earlier in the chain. But if you can be patient - and it’s less of a want and FOMO doesnt have you pulling the trigger now - maybe you can ask later on if the price is negotiable. But, again, if you can’t find current available comparatives in your color saturation parameter - negotiation is going to be that no one else is biting at the asking price.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@fredflintstone

Please don’t be sharp. No one really thinks you are Jim. I think it was a joke.
Jim would pick a different moniker I’d guess. :)

Your insight and opinion when you choose to give it, is helpful.

May not agree the stone you chose to link is comparative to color autumn is looking for - but having you actively give examples is so much better than the generic ‘look around harder or browse Facebook’ statements.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone with minimal jade knowledge, this piece struck me a few weeks ago. Not just because I love the color and translucency, but also this freeform but 'still recognizably oval cab' shape

Unless those are all Argyle pink diamonds in that jade necklace, there is something funny about the color balance.

That said, if a vendor I trusted explained, "Sorry about the color balance -- I'll send another photo of just the diamonds -- but that is exactly what the jade looks like," I'd be OK with that.

Isn't lavender jadeite one of the ones where treatment can never be fully excluded?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It may become more blue in other lighting. I would request photos in natural vs artificial light.

You have been looking for five years and prices are going up and we are all sitting here Pooh Poohing the price! This is silly. If you like the color and shape then that is the perfect price! It is what it costs to get what you love. Because there are no comparable - you’ve literally never found one — so like, this is just the price! It isn’t “too high” except against some fantasy gem that does not exist.

I have found my enabler!
hi501.gif
That's my usual first instinct. lol I'm trying not to give in to temptation these days. But I'm still vaguely considering this stone.

What are YOU feeling about it now Autumn?

I think price is a finicky thing. I’ve opted out of price conversations and have a “You do you” attitude to all pricing concerns. I’ve realised there are so many factors when it comes to pricing and what someone can tolerate, another person will not.

But do you LOVE the colour? That’s the most important thing. Do you feel you MUST have this stone/colour the collection?

I've definitely (and gladly) overpaid in the past for something I desperately wanted that I felt was unique. Not sure I'm feeling it here. If I did, I think I would have bought the thing, and this would have been a "show and tell" instead of a "is this stone worth it" thread. lol

The vendor did not say it was Lavender. Neither did I. Niether is the stone you wanted opinions on.

No, I'm sorry, but I'm not this Jim. This is exactly why I very seldom give links to any vendor. I stay out of the fray so to speak. As I was in the trade and realized that some might either not believe I was or think when I do throw a suggestion out there, I'm that person I refer too.

I was asked twice by TL and you, so I gave the link. Nothing more, nothing less.

No problem. I hope you find what you're looking for and hope you're not still holding a grudge.

I assure you I'm not "holding a grudge." I just don't think the stone you showed is in the same league as the first (which is clearly a mix of pastel purple and blue = lavender). The stone you showed has some greenish tones, which would eliminate it from lavender contention. So it doesn't really address @T L's question about lavender spinel pricing. No hard feelings... I do appreciate you trying to help!

Last edited:
To me it’s lavender and described as such. I understand that lavender can be more or less pink based on people’s tastes. I mean lavender flowers, depending on the light, can be more pink/purple or bluish. Besides, these gems, the good quality ones, tend to color shift from pink to a violet. In mixed lighting, you may be able to see both colors interplay.

IMG_2133.jpeg IMG_2132.jpeg

That stone is as lavender as they come. Color is subjective, of course, but lavender is defined as a blue-based purple. Lilac is defined as a pink-based purple. I'm actually looking into this stone, so thank you again!

Did you see this one from Africa Gems, @Autumn in New England?

I bought and returned it! I wish I'd kept the photos... hold on. Found it!! I don't want to give Marc a hard time, because he is such a lovely guy (with a great return policy). And he has a beautiful inventory. So this may be a one-off. But you judge this stone for yourself.

What I bought:

indexin7ty.jpg
What I received:
indexwn4bne56.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results