shape
carat
color
clarity

Lavender spinel

I'm going to weigh in on the search and stones in question. Here goes and sorry if this is lengthy, lol!

First off, @Autumn in New England, I know you well enough to know that you have a discerning eye and have been at this for quite a while. You have been seeking this stone in earnest and then with frequent check-ins for five years. I'd say that counts for something. I looked for years for my holy grail periwinkle Vietnamese spinel and gave up. Fwiw, in the past, I have hugely "overpaid" for stones and jewelry (earrings because it's about all I wear these days) because I fell in love. You know what? 15+ years on and I have no regrets! I still look at the stones with awe and frequently wear and adore the earrings. And to this day, I have yet to see earrings I adore as much as mine (same for most of the stones, though they spend most of their time in the bank). The stones have all gone up in value considerably as to render the purchase price rather moot (if I cared but they're not going anywhere). Every time I wear the earrings, I am proud of myself for trusting my instincts and buying them because, well, falling love! Oops, that was more about me than you, but you get my drift! :lol-2:

So the ones that would be in contention for me, with the most saturated color for light stones, would be the two posted by @TL (although Vlad's looks like it might land more on the pinker, less saturated side), and yours. I DO judge saturation by hand/finger color to make sure photo has not been inadvertently oversaturated (still almost a given for most iphones), and of course, the actual saturation of the gem itself. The Gemfix, McCormick, and mounted B.G. stone, would all be quickly eliminated for issues of saturation. (And btw, I would've done exactly what you did and buy and return Marc's stone) Is there any way you can buy the first one TL posted as well as the Original Contender so that they can be viewed together? That may be an impossibility because of post timing, Idk.

Please post any others you come across, as we love to see lovely things - in case you didn't know ;)2

So... this was immensely helpful! First, since you mentioned you never found "the one" when it came to a periwinkle spinel, do you have any interest in the first stone? I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass. If so, I can give you the details (the dealer sourcing it from Bangkok is beloved and trusted here on PS, and the stone is fully refundable). Most who commented feel the stone is more periwinkle than lavender. But again, the price is a major consideration.

Next, the stone T L posted would be my #1 choice, and I inquired immediately. I have not heard back, unfortunately. But you and I are definitely on the same wavelength!

Finally, I also inquired about the ring toomuchB suggested. It's almost 6ct., which is pretty impressive. But it's definitely a pastel lavender, not a saturated one like the amethyst I showed. What are your thoughts on this video, love?

Click.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Autumn in New England are you sensitive about treading into amethyst territory?

I love the BG ring because it reads non amethyst to me which is a bonus. And it is a beautiful colour. Perhaps you can get photos of it in less flattering light to see how desaturated it might be in the worst case scenario?

I once had a flight of fancy about a purple sapphire and was told that I should just get a nice amethyst for my troubles instead of spending so much on a purple sapphire. That cured me of that hankering quick smart.

@Autumn in New England are you sensitive about treading into amethyst territory?

I love the BG ring because it reads non amethyst to me which is a bonus. And it is a beautiful colour. Perhaps you can get photos of it in less flattering light to see how desaturated it might be in the worst case scenario?

I once had a flight of fancy about a purple sapphire and was told that I should just get a nice amethyst for my troubles instead of spending so much on a purple sapphire. That cured me of that hankering quick smart.

I know! The sad thing is I love the amethyst I shared. But I also love the rarity and more delicate color of the spinel. Is it worth me spending $$$ though (when I could put it towards my woefully neglected landscaping). I'm struggling with that inner dialogue.
1237392xqjdgfjci8.gif

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know! The sad thing is I love the amethyst I shared. But I also love the rarity and more delicate color of the spinel. Is it worth me spending $$$ though (when I could put it towards my woefully neglected landscaping). I'm struggling with that inner dialogue.
1237392xqjdgfjci8.gif

Did I need a giant pastel sapphire when my laundry is super old and could do with a renovation that would probably add huge value?

But then we could all be nuked by next year, none of this will matter, so it’s a balance between sitting around admiring a pretty gem on your finger and getting bobcats in to dig up your yard!

Did I need a giant pastel sapphire when my laundry is super old and could do with a renovation that would probably add huge value?

But then we could all be nuked by next year, none of this will matter, so it’s a balance between sitting around admiring a pretty gem on your finger and getting bobcats in to dig up your yard!

Disco_Fever_Dance_Inferno.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really wish I had the video for Vlad’s stone. The pink and violet color coming off that thing at the same time, was amazing. It was the most gorgeous lavender spinel I’ve ever seen. The single frame grab I took doesn’t do it justice.

Maybe Vlad still has the video.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Is it worth me spending $$$ though (when I could put it towards my woefully neglected landscaping). I'm struggling with that inner dialogue.
1237392xqjdgfjci8.gif

Do whichever will bring you more joy, whichever will add the most to your quality of life.

I'm currently refraining from spending. I can go on a buying spree, hubby said "I never got to buy you an engagement ring, here's $$$, go buy whatever bling you want", and oh boy, is it difficult to resist! But then I look at the pretties I already have, and I realise, if I were to never buy a single piece of jewellery every again, I'd still have plenty and be happy with what I already own. The thing that will make my life better right now is splurge on my summer vacation (Iceland, here I come!) and put some extra cash in my investment funds. I can spend on bling later.

I know we're supposed to be enablers here, but we also have to live in reality. How important is your yard to you? Do you want to have a beautiful garden and spend your time in it, reading a book, enjoying the sun and the vegetation? Because if the answer is yes, it might just be that the garden will be a bigger net gain compared to a tiny colourful rock.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good! Sounds like you are in a settled, and at peace place about the pear stone you posted. I'm so happy to hear you inquired about the "TL stone." As for the b.g. ring, yes, that video definitely sold it more, but for me, there just wouldn't be quiiiiiiite enough blue hue to it I think. The other b.g. stones @mellowyellowgirl posted definitely have promise.

Also, I second @Avondale's sentiment re gardening. Part of the reason I'm not buying stones any more (though I'm becoming tempted again :lol-2:) is because I've followed color out into my garden and have turned from growing things for the purpose of organic veggies, to flowers and COLOR! Its amazing how many blues, purples, violets and periwinkles I can find to grow. And to sit outside for so much of the year in a pretty environment soothes my soul.

Pssst: But I really think you should do both!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a lovely, lovely rare spinel. At first glance $8500 seems like a shockingly high price for a spinel. But many of us were very fortunate to have bought spinels when the prices were much lower. Things have changed quite a bit since then.

You were willing to pay 5k for such a stone. So is it really that outrageous to pay 3,500 more for something you have wanted for 5 years and will not come across again?

You are being picky which is good. And this spinel is the only one in 5 years that has been good enough. Due to that, I say buy it and cherish it.

Sadly, the 8.31ct. is sold, but I'm sure it was well out of my budget anyway!

The seller of the ring sent me videos in daylight. I can't figure out how to link or download vids from instagram private messaging. So here are the best grabs from each vid. Note the loss of saturation. This one looked promising, but I'm moving on from it.

I inquired about the emerald-cut T L posted, and the girl promptly blocked me. lol Not sure what the purpose of her account is... :think:

So I'm back at square one!

Screenshot_20240408_195228_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240408_195326_Samsung Internet.jpg

Do whichever will bring you more joy, whichever will add the most to your quality of life.

I'm currently refraining from spending. I can go on a buying spree, hubby said "I never got to buy you an engagement ring, here's $$$, go buy whatever bling you want", and oh boy, is it difficult to resist! But then I look at the pretties I already have, and I realise, if I were to never buy a single piece of jewellery every again, I'd still have plenty and be happy with what I already own. The thing that will make my life better right now is splurge on my summer vacation (Iceland, here I come!) and put some extra cash in my investment funds. I can spend on bling later.

I know we're supposed to be enablers here, but we also have to live in reality. How important is your yard to you? Do you want to have a beautiful garden and spend your time in it, reading a book, enjoying the sun and the vegetation? Because if the answer is yes, it might just be that the garden will be a bigger net gain compared to a tiny colourful rock.

Oh man, Iceland is at the top of my list... happy splurging to YOU!

You know, after my dearest friend recently passed, my perspective has definitely shifted. "Things" bring us joy, no doubt about that. And I love each piece as much today as I did when I purchased them. But it's an awful lot of money to spend to essentially "rent" these baubles. Can't take them "with" me! I wish I could just enjoy marveling at mother nature's gemmy creations without feeling the need to "own" them.

Anyway... yes! How I long for an outdoor oasis, Avondale!

Oh good! Sounds like you are in a settled, and at peace place about the pear stone you posted. I'm so happy to hear you inquired about the "TL stone." As for the b.g. ring, yes, that video definitely sold it more, but for me, there just wouldn't be quiiiiiiite enough blue hue to it I think. The other b.g. stones @mellowyellowgirl posted definitely have promise.

Also, I second @Avondale's sentiment re gardening. Part of the reason I'm not buying stones any more (though I'm becoming tempted again :lol-2:) is because I've followed color out into my garden and have turned from growing things for the purpose of organic veggies, to flowers and COLOR! Its amazing how many blues, purples, violets and periwinkles I can find to grow. And to sit outside for so much of the year in a pretty environment soothes my soul.

Pssst: But I really think you should do both!

Yasss! I think one thing we all have in common here, obviously, is our love for color. I need to translate it into something as enjoyable and satisfying, but much easier on the wallet... like your gardening!!
flowers%20to%20you.gif

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I inquired about the emerald-cut T L posted, and the girl promptly blocked me. lol Not sure what the purpose of her account is... :think:

I tried to make an inquiry about another stone a few months ago and didn’t get blocked but it said I can’t message her cuz we don’t follow each other?

Anyways, seems difficult. Everyone else has been easier to deal with so I just go with easy!

It's a lovely, lovely rare spinel. At first glance $8500 seems like a shockingly high price for a spinel. But many of us were very fortunate to have bought spinels when the prices were much lower. Things have changed quite a bit since then.

You were willing to pay 5k for such a stone. So is it really that outrageous to pay 3,500 more for something you have wanted for 5 years and will not come across again?

You are being picky which is good. And this spinel is the only one in 5 years that has been good enough. Due to that, I say buy it and cherish it.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely buying at the exact wrong time (always my luck). lol I've seen some beauties here that were a fraction of the price. I keep going back and forth with this same reasoning. We'll see if the angel or devil on either shoulder wins. I'm now reconsidering the first stone. :shifty: Thank you for your perspective!!

I tried to make an inquiry about another stone a few months ago and didn’t get blocked but it said I can’t message her cuz we don’t follow each other?

Anyways, seems difficult. Everyone else has been easier to deal with so I just go with easy!

Yep, I followed her to send the message. It was delivered, and she then blocked me. lol I think she may just be there for show. Like pinterest! :lol:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I followed her to send the message. It was delivered, and she then blocked me. lol I think she may just be there for show. Like pinterest! :lol:

Omg I hate Pinterest!!!! Sorry to take this off topic but if there’s one thing that makes me rage in this world it’s freaking Pinterest!!!!! Useless!!! Just goes around in circles! I crochet so have had run ins with Pinterest. I don’t even click on anything now. I don’t understand the point of its existence!!!!!!

Back to your lavender! Are you still in pursuit or you think you’ll shelve this one? I had a bit of a revelation about the first pear you posted. I guess it’s not so much the money, it’s that I feel that maybe you would feel that you’re still settling even for that price.

Now if you felt about it the way you feel about the watermelon tourmaline, I’d say go for it! Because there isn’t much argument that could be made about that stone. It is a gorgeous representation of watermelon tourmaline so even if it wasn’t the cheapest, it was well worth it.

Omg I hate Pinterest!!!! Sorry to take this off topic but if there’s one thing that makes me rage in this world it’s freaking Pinterest!!!!! Useless!!! Just goes around in circles! I crochet so have had run ins with Pinterest. I don’t even click on anything now. I don’t understand the point of its existence!!!!!!

Back to your lavender! Are you still in pursuit or you think you’ll shelve this one? I had a bit of a revelation about the first pear you posted. I guess it’s not so much the money, it’s that I feel that maybe you would feel that you’re still settling even for that price.

Now if you felt about it the way you feel about the watermelon tourmaline, I’d say go for it! Because there isn’t much argument that could be made about that stone. It is a gorgeous representation of watermelon tourmaline so even if it wasn’t the cheapest, it was well worth it.

Deep breath... pinterest is the bane of my existence! Every time I'm in search of something, the perfect one pops up and I get all excited. Then the link inevitably takes me to pinterest, where nothing is for sale and no one knows where the hell anything is.
gaah.gif
Pinterest is a consumer's worst tormentor.

It's funny you brought up the watermelon tourmaline, because I was thinking about how I was willing to spend on that stone (which is not particularly beloved in the gem world), but I'm sort of refusing to here (on a gem I've been actively pursuing). I absolutely overpaid for that tourm, and knew it when I pulled the trigger. But I rarely ever regret purchases. I tend to be that person who regrets not doing something. So I'm keeping that in mind. But Autumn is a bit strapped at the moment. lol

ETA: I neglected to address your point, which is valid. Most would agree that the watermelon tourm has trade ideal color. Lavender spinel is a little more subjective, perhaps, but clearly it's not a consensus with this stone.

Last edited:

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure if you are open to origins other than Luc Yen.
If yes, this is a seller I've seen around on IG (heritage.gemsnjewels), who have a site, 14 day returns, and are based in LA.
All their listings have a 'make an offer' option suggesting they will accept less than their listed prices. Origin is never or rarely mentioned. Probably none of these are the color/saturation/quality you are looking for (and def need confirmation of color in additional pics/videos anyway), but just in case, its worth a share.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you are open to origins other than Luc Yen.
If yes, this is a seller I've seen around on IG (heritage.gemsnjewels), who have a site, 14 day returns, and are based in LA.
All their listings have a 'make an offer' option suggesting they will accept less than their listed prices. Origin is never or rarely mentioned. Probably none of these are the color/saturation/quality you are looking for (and def need confirmation of color in additional pics/videos anyway), but just in case, its worth a share.

Yes! We discussed several of their stones... unfortunately, there was too much gray for my liking. Maybe lavender spinel just isn't for me?
crybaby.gif

Lunean

Rough_Rock
These are pretty, but they look a little milky, which isn't my thing. But the opalescent spinel lovers out there may take a liking! Thank you for the suggestion!!

ETA: I just realized these are quartz... they should've been more clear.
wack234.gif

Oups didn't expect that :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results