shape
carat
color
clarity

Lavender spinel

Why can’t these stones just be lavender jadeite colour?! To me that’s perfect lavender!

thismuchistrue.gif
I've been saying that for years!

Hi there, @Autumn in New England -

I know what it is to search for a gem for years - all the while watching prices go up and up and up, as availability goes down. Opal and pearls spring to mind for me. And don't even start me on blue sapphire!

Lavender is such a tricky color - that mix of pink, blue and grey (yes - grey! I said it!) is tricky to hit dead center, without one or the other becoming dominant. It's such a delicate, balanced, alluring, soft, genuinely pretty stone - any variation to the left or the right can leave you in the land of Not Quite Right.

I think the one you posted is gorgeous - and just to be clear, I've been half-heartedly browsing for lavender spinel and sapphire for quite some time. The one you've posted seems to be the classic color, without deviating into the land of neon or light purple. If I'd been genuinely looking for years, if I could afford it, and if it had reached the top of the pile of spending priorities, I'd be saying "I'm done" - and I'd be throwing my money down.

Sooner or later you have to either buy something or accept that you'll never own one. And that's the Keynesian cross of supply vs demand: which has more pain - paying that price, or accepting you'll never get what you want?

"Years" is a long time to look. If this one ticks all the boxes except price, and if I could afford it, I'd probably buy it. But that's on the basis that I've genuinely spent years looking. Frankly, I'd rather the sticker shock than endless years of "That one I didn't pul the trigger on was the perfect color...."

Remember, the value of anything is only what someone is willing to pay for it. To others, it might not be worth it. But to you - perhaps it is? Good luck with a tough decision!

Gosh... you always have the perfect response. And you make way too much sense!! I think that's why I haven't completely ruled this stone out. Thank you for the thoughtful reply, my friend!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought and returned it! I wish I'd kept the photos... hold on. Found it!! I don't want to give Marc a hard time, because he is such a lovely guy (with a great return policy).

I had a similar experience years ago. Not "his" photos, as I know you know -- they are from that wholesaler that he uses extensively (and the name escapes me now). But the photos, whoever is responsible, tend to be quite optimistic. I also found him to be a terrific guy about returns and everything in general.

I had a similar experience years ago. Not "his" photos, as I know you know -- they are from that wholesaler that he uses extensively (and the name escapes me now). But the photos, whoever is responsible, tend to be quite optimistic. I also found him to be a terrific guy about returns and everything in general.

Yes! Marc is awesome... but I told him, whoever is photographing these stones for the wholesaler should be taken to task. Because poor Marc is the one who ultimately has to pay for and manage the returns from disappointed customers. I mean, that's just straight up enhancement. No discrepancy in calibration can account for that level of variation. And yet that photo is still being used to sell the same gem. I wonder how many times it's been returned?
wack234.gif

Anyone familiar with Guild Gem Lab (they have offices in China and Thailand)? The site looks legit, but can I trust their findings?

missyc

Rough_Rock
You guys are really helping abate my temptation! Just what I was hoping for!! I was expecting something around the $5k mark for this size, even in the finest lavender Luc Yen material. I thought the price was kind of crazy, so I'm glad everyone is in agreement. I feel like I might just set my humble $99 amethyst and be done with it. They're not rare like fine spinel, to be sure, have lower refraction, and maybe they're a little less hard. But the color is so beautiful and never, ever goes gray. She sparkles like crazy for quartz.

*That texture you're seeing is the faux leather reflecting from underneath. It's loupe clean and perfectly polished. The weight is 9ct., by the way, not 10ct. as I originally said.

Capture (1).jpg

Your amethyst is amazing! I would vote to set this beauty and continue looking for the perfect spinel. On my screen, the spinel doesn't look like a true lavender colour.

Would you mind sharing the vendor of this amethyst? 8)

Your amethyst is amazing! I would vote to set this beauty and continue looking for the perfect spinel. On my screen, the spinel doesn't look like a true lavender colour.

Would you mind sharing the vendor of this amethyst? 8)

Of course... Gandhara Gems. I never purchase from foreign vendors like this, but they are supremely trustworthy. And they have lots of other amethysts with this coloration. In this particular case (amethysts), I feel like the cheap pricing does not dictate quality. Good luck!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course... Gandhara Gems. I never purchase from foreign vendors like this, but they are supremely trustworthy. And they have lots of other amethysts with this coloration. In this particular case (amethysts), I feel like the cheap pricing does not dictate quality. Good luck!

<breaking both ankles running to the jet to take me to Gandhara Gems>

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone familiar with Guild Gem Lab (they have offices in China and Thailand)? The site looks legit, but can I trust their findings?

I'm pretty sure I've seen PS trusted vendors describe their gems as having "guild reports" on numerous occasions but I haven't paid closer attention. Next time I see it, I'll look into it.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

I see you still hold a grudge. I'm sorry to disappoint you but I am not Jim.

One thing you might want to think about is I got banned for the same exact thing you're trying to do now, but I have no desire to report you to the administrators, because first of all I hold no bad feelings towards you, though at one time that was different. You can continue with your accusations, but my best advice is to leave the past in the past and move on. Who needs it?

You need to move on. I suggest you resolve your obvious unresolved anger towards me, I have towards you.

Other than that, I have nothing more to say other than I wish you well.

Fred

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see you still hold a grudge. I'm sorry to disappoint you but I am not Jim.

One thing you might want to think about is I got banned for the same exact thing you're trying to do now, but I have no desire to report you to the administrators, because first of all I hold no bad feelings towards you, though at one time that was different. You can continue with your accusations, but my best advice is to leave the past in the past and move on. Who needs it?

You need to move on. I suggest you resolve your obvious unresolved anger towards me, I have towards you.

Other than that, I have nothing more to say other than I wish you well.

Fred

Wow, this was out of left field! @fredflintstone I think you have completely misunderstood Autumn. Might be helpful to "assume good intentions" as Autumn is just looking for her dream stone and is a pretty damn gracious person!

Wow, this was out of left field! @fredflintstone I think you have completely misunderstood Autumn. Might be helpful to "assume good intentions" as Autumn is just looking for her dream stone and is a pretty damn gracious person!

It's so tiresome...
gallery_25881_207_341.gif
But everyone will be relieved to know I plan on ignoring this person, whoever he is, from this point forward. lol And thank you, my friend!!

I'm pretty sure I've seen PS trusted vendors describe their gems as having "guild reports" on numerous occasions but I haven't paid closer attention. Next time I see it, I'll look into it.

Good, good, because I am inquiring about a different stone that comes with this cert. Even if I feel the need to recertify stateside, it's nice to know! Thank you!!

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

Really? I have no problem with what stone is Autumn's next acquisition? I really could care less.

What I do have a problem with is her suggestion I may be this Jim McCormick, though she disguised it well as a jest. I don't believe for a moment.

But what I have a bigger problem with is the people who will possibly take to heart that I am this Jim McCormick, and for that I regret even putting his stone up to prove a point on price, because there will be others here that may feel I am Jim McCormick and because of the rules of this forum may discard considering him for any future purchases. For that, I’m truly sorry. Not my intention at all.

Since Autmn is a what was it, “gracious person” maybe she should consider the possible consequences of her words and come out and say she was only jesting. As a matter of fact, I challenge her to do that. If she does, I’ll bend over backwards with an appropriate apology. If she doesn’t, well, my point is proven.

There is a history of bad blood between Autumn and I. But I say, don’t take it out on someone who has nothing to do with this. I was a gemstone vendor and I know how hard it is to compete with others selling gemstones for a living, especially in this world where every source dealer sells to the end buyer as well as the western dealer and I may have unwittingly put this Jim McCormick in the cross hairs here.

Food for thought.

ShinyPleeease

Rough_Rock

I’ve bought (and returned) a stone with a guild report. I think that lab is becoming popular with the Asia-based vendors. My understanding is that the lab is trustworthy (e.g. an untreated sapphire is an untreated sapphire) but they are generous with color designation. The gem I got was described as a “Jedi spinel.” I wouldn’t have called it that. Good luck with your purchase! I love lavender stones!

Edited to add a pic I dug up. The spinel on the right was the one Guild certified as Jedi

Attachments

• IMG_9337.jpeg
    IMG_9337.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Love that one's intense color.
As someone with minimal jade knowledge, this piece struck me a few weeks ago. Not just because I love the color and translucency, but also this freeform but 'still recognizably oval cab' shape. Not sure how else to describe it!

@toomuchB This piece looks strange, Lavender jadeite doesn’t come this watery. It is more fibrous and doesn’t come in an utterly fine grained, highly watery texture. Even the most expensive or highest quality stones look more opaque than this one. It reminds me of chalcedony. Either that, or the photo is of the reflected surface (extremely high polish) and/or the stone is very thin.

OMG that ring is the perfect lavender. Soooo rich and intense! I never managed to buy one! Have you?
@mellowyellowgirl Me neither! I am particuLar about water. I like my jadeite to be super watery, old mine, glassy or highly icy, and fine textured. Lavender jadeite is usually more opaque. You would probably have noticed that while the color is wild on this ring, it does have white inclusions. That is why the price is more “reasonable” :P2
Unless those are all Argyle pink diamonds in that jade necklace, there is something funny about the color balance.

That said, if a vendor I trusted explained, "Sorry about the color balance -- I'll send another photo of just the diamonds -- but that is exactly what the jade looks like," I'd be OK with that.

Isn't lavender jadeite one of the ones where treatment can never be fully excluded?
@LilAlex Treatment can be detected and jadeite can be certified as treatment free.
Hong Kong Jade&Stone lab is the one that I would recommend for jadeite. Most respectable labs in Asia, which see a lot of jadeite and stimulants, can differentiate too. There are highly competent and reputable labs like AIGS in Thailand and Nanyang Gemological Institute in SG. Thank goodness!

It may become more blue in other lighting. I would request photos in natural vs artificial light.
@T L Yes, the thing with jadeite is each color reacts differently - high quality green dances in the light and is really showy in the sun and bright artificial light. Lavender tends to look less vibrant and more washed out in daylight.

I bought and returned it! I wish I'd kept the photos... hold on. Found it!! I don't want to give Marc a hard time, because he is such a lovely guy (with a great return policy). And he has a beautiful inventory. So this may be a one-off. But you judge this stone for yourself.

What I bought:

indexin7ty.jpg
What I received:
indexwn4bne56.jpg
@Autumn in New England , the contrast is shocking! I can well imagine your disappointment. As you all mentioned, Marc should stop using those photos. I have never bought from him but I remember you mentioned him before so I asked. Definitely a “return to sender” stone, esp with the grey undertone.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex Treatment can be detected and jadeite can be certified as treatment free.
Hong Kong Jade&Stone lab is the one that I would recommend for jadeite. Most respectable labs in Asia, which see a lot of jadeite and stimulants, can differentiate too. There are highly competent and reputable labs like AIGS in Thailand and Nanyang Gemological Institute in SG. Thank goodness!

Yes, I agree with all of this and I have some green jadeite with a GIA report. My understanding is that it is challenging or impossible to exclude treatment for lavender jadeite, specifically.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock

Their reports are occasionally used by Sothebys, Christies - if that means anything. Not for the top value lots though.

Eg

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I agree with all of this and I have some green jadeite with a GIA report. My understanding is that it is challenging or impossible to exclude treatment for lavender jadeite, specifically.

Seems possible - commonly seen at auctions. I have listed two examples below, by HK Jade & Stone lab. I would be wary of a dealer who tells you it isn’t possible to rule out treatment. Alternatively, perhaps what they mean is that the jadeite can be tested, and then the treatment administered after. If that were the case, it would apply to other tested stones, such as unheated rubies, emeralds with no oil, and not just lavender jadeite. That’s why I re-test higher priced items before buying.

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/jewels-online/lavender obtained-jadeite-diamond-ring-report-21/69599

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's so tiresome...
gallery_25881_207_341.gif
But everyone will be relieved to know I plan on ignoring this person, whoever he is, from this point forward. lol And thank you, my friend!!

There is an “ignore” button on PS. Click their avatar and see it! You probably know this. I of course only figured it out recently lol

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to weigh in on the search and stones in question. Here goes and sorry if this is lengthy, lol!

First off, @Autumn in New England, I know you well enough to know that you have a discerning eye and have been at this for quite a while. You have been seeking this stone in earnest and then with frequent check-ins for five years. I'd say that counts for something. I looked for years for my holy grail periwinkle Vietnamese spinel and gave up. Fwiw, in the past, I have hugely "overpaid" for stones and jewelry (earrings because it's about all I wear these days) because I fell in love. You know what? 15+ years on and I have no regrets! I still look at the stones with awe and frequently wear and adore the earrings. And to this day, I have yet to see earrings I adore as much as mine (same for most of the stones, though they spend most of their time in the bank). The stones have all gone up in value considerably as to render the purchase price rather moot (if I cared but they're not going anywhere). Every time I wear the earrings, I am proud of myself for trusting my instincts and buying them because, well, falling love! Oops, that was more about me than you, but you get my drift! :lol-2:

So the ones that would be in contention for me, with the most saturated color for light stones, would be the two posted by @TL (although Vlad's looks like it might land more on the pinker, less saturated side), and yours. I DO judge saturation by hand/finger color to make sure photo has not been inadvertently oversaturated (still almost a given for most iphones), and of course, the actual saturation of the gem itself. The Gemfix, McCormick, and mounted B.G. stone, would all be quickly eliminated for issues of saturation. (And btw, I would've done exactly what you did and buy and return Marc's stone) Is there any way you can buy the first one TL posted as well as the Original Contender so that they can be viewed together? That may be an impossibility because of post timing, Idk.

Please post any others you come across, as we love to see lovely things - in case you didn't know ;)2

I’ve bought (and returned) a stone with a guild report. I think that lab is becoming popular with the Asia-based vendors. My understanding is that the lab is trustworthy (e.g. an untreated sapphire is an untreated sapphire) but they are generous with color designation. The gem I got was described as a “Jedi spinel.” I wouldn’t have called it that. Good luck with your purchase! I love lavender stones!

Edited to add a pic I dug up. The spinel on the right was the one Guild certified as Jedi

That's good to know! It would be a spinel, so I don't even have to really worry about treatments. Appreciate your input!!

@Autumn in New England , the contrast is shocking! I can well imagine your disappointment. As you all mentioned, Marc should stop using those photos. I have never bought from him but I remember you mentioned him before so I asked. Definitely a “return to sender” stone, esp with the grey undertone.

I was certainly surprised... I mean, I always expect some desaturation upon receipt. But that was night and day. Thank you for aiding in my search nonetheless!

Their reports are occasionally used by Sothebys, Christies - if that means anything. Not for the top value lots though.

Eg

Oh good! That definitely instills confidence... thank you!! I'm really interested in this new stone, but I need more info.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results