shape
carat
color
clarity

Large Asscher tsavorite or mint garnet

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jeff got back to me this morning and said he will check if he has anything suitable currently for a custom cut. I’m hoping he does!

Do you mean this oval? I did see that too, I worry that it may end up being too pale though if it were recut. I think it may end up smaller than the 2.68 too.
The 2.68 would be very different to any of my other tsavs. Most that I own are under 1ct and none are asschers.

I do love emeralds too but they definitely have a different personality. I prefer tsavorite over emerald for sure. I’ve checked with Roger Derry and didn’t find anything.
There is a 5ct stone at Ivy New York that I have enquired about though. It’s not the Asscher that I was chasing originally but it does have the size. 6009C383-1277-4928-BE1A-786FC72F1158.jpeg

The thing about the oval, is that it's not really vivid either (at least not compared to the smaller ascher cut above). Its probably going to be sparkly though.

It seems a shame to pay so much and end up with a stone where the colour could have been better.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff got back to me this morning and said he will check if he has anything suitable currently for a custom cut. I’m hoping he does!

Do you mean this oval? I did see that too, I worry that it may end up being too pale though if it were recut. I think it may end up smaller than the 2.68 too.
The 2.68 would be very different to any of my other tsavs. Most that I own are under 1ct and none are asschers.

6009C383-1277-4928-BE1A-786FC72F1158.jpeg

No it’s a different one.
7+ carats 13x10 (why don’t they give depths ?!?!?)
7D4B4514-3251-4AE5-A8F0-FC72D2489502.jpeg
Thinking this is less grey/brown than the one you posted, if we can trust the photos
And thinking if you still have trade contacts- then retail price maybe isn’t retail price for you.

You might get a bit less of depth/crown height of ideal proportions like JW likes to cut.
But it’d maybe be better/closer to that ideal than the asscher they have in stock already cut?

I am absolutely speaking out of my arse here. No doubt.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I’ll go ahead and say
What you’ve already mentioned about what you know about this material - and what other materials you’ve tried alternatively that you already know you don’t want -

The original owner had plenty of various lighting photos some showing similar to Jbg photos.

I’m thinking maybe the criteria for the previous owners passing on the ring - may not be the same criteria you have in wanting it.

I mean , you are (or were) trade. You probably have wider scope of the limitations/realistic expectations of gemstones (and their photographs) to real life performance than genpop who haven’t handled many many species and many multiple different qualities within those species?

Last edited:

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Controversial post alert....

However, have you considered lab created gemstones?

Gary has a few green ones listed:

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/c33/Lab_Created.html

DK :))

I have nothing against lab stones, but I really want a natural one for this piece.

No it’s a different one.
7+ carats 13x10 (why don’t they give depths ?!?!?)
7D4B4514-3251-4AE5-A8F0-FC72D2489502.jpeg
Thinking this is less grey/brown than the one you posted, if we can trust the photos
And thinking if you still have trade contacts- then retail price maybe isn’t retail price for you.

You might get a bit less of depth/crown height of ideal proportions like JW likes to cut.
But it’d maybe be better/closer to that ideal than the asscher they have in stock already cut?

I am absolutely speaking out of my arse here. No doubt.

That one isn’t showing up for me, would you be able to send me the link, please? Perhaps some of these are virtual inventory on more than one site?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jopdrop got you, hopefully, Jeff will have something suitable for you.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one isn’t showing up for me, would you be able to send me the link, please? Perhaps some of these are virtual inventory on more than one site?

Link sent thru LT contact info

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
If the ring looks the way it does in the JBG pics and video, say even 50% of the time, will it bother you? What if it only looks fantastic 10% of the time (when you are in the sun just like how the bestest pics were taken) and the remaining 90% looks just like the JBG pics?

Would you still crave for the ring the way you do now? Will you still be willing to spend $22k on it? Do you think you will still really love the ring even if it’s meh looking most of the time (I assume that will be the likely case since it’s not a saturated stone and mint garnets just simply do not glow like paraibas or sparkle like diamonds)?

If it’s all yes’s, then maybe just go for it. Assuming you can afford the $22k and not really miss the money, and it’s really “true love” then why not. I’ve been quite aghast at the thought of spending over $20k on a mint garnet but after some reflection, think that I should not be judgemental since I’ve irrationally loved and bought plenty of stones myself.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade the ring costs 22k+ USD, not just the stone itself.

I suspect the stone would have cost around 10k USD at the time it was cut a few years ago. However, I could be wrong.

Stone vs setting cost ratio varies amongst people.

There are some very expensive settings about for not very expensive CSs. I admire them myself, however, it is unlikely that I would spend $$$ on settings for relatively cheap stones.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
There’s been amazing comments and advice in this thread so I won’t rehash them, but I’m really hoping the consigner comes down to a reasonable price. I can’t imagine after 2-3 years of being consigned there are that many unicorn buyers like the OP seriously considering it.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@dk168 I know the ring costs $22k. I’ve looked at the JBG site and the original PS thread and gone through so many other pics of mint garnets in the past day to see if there is any possibility that it looks that good most of the time and my conclusion is no (happy to be wrong though).

I mean that’s why we had a thread about people on PS posting unrealistic pics of their stones right?

Like my ruby can look like that
23B2E96A-77DD-4FC5-B172-E52FF0274366.jpeg

or it can look like this
574793BE-2D2A-4376-9EE8-CA5D92CBA505.jpeg

Realistically I spend more time hiding from the sun then going under the sun so you can imagine how often I see the ruby looking like the latter.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you emailed yvvorsky? I seriously dream of owning one of his stones someday. He doesnt have anything in your size range right now, but it can't hurt to ask what rough he has.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I know the ring costs $22k. I’ve looked at the JBG site and the original PS thread and gone through so many other pics of mint garnets in the past day to see if there is any possibility that it looks that good most of the time and my conclusion is no (happy to be wrong though).

I mean that’s why we had a thread about people on PS posting unrealistic pics of their stones right?

or it can look like this

Realistically I spend more time hiding from the sun then going under the sun so you can imagine how often I see the ruby looking like the latter.

I know what you mean.

I have had a few misses with pink red Spinels and red Garnets, and I don't buy the latter anymore.

The trillion Spinel I bought from Yvonne which was supposed to be a Mahenge and the colour IRL was less glowy/lively then I had anticipated based on the listing photos.

The last pink red Spinel I bought was from Jeff as I trust his colour description and he knows what I like (no brown).

I am eyeing one of Gary's pink red Spinels and was fortunate to see it IRL when I met up with him while I was Tucson. Fingers crossed that it may still be available when I have some spare pennies!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I know what you mean.

I have had a few misses with pink red Spinels and red Garnets, and I don't buy the latter anymore.

The trillion Spinel I bought from Yvonne which was supposed to be a Mahenge and the colour IRL was less glowy/lively then I had anticipated based on the listing photos.

The last pink red Spinel I bought was from Jeff as I trust his colour description and he knows what I like (no brown).

I am eyeing one of Gary's pink red Spinels and was fortunate to see it IRL when I met up with him while I was Tucson. Fingers crossed that it may still be available when I have some spare pennies!

Mahenge spinels are tricky cos they almost always looks good in pics. I’ve been fortunate to be able to buy mine in person and have come across many meh ones that looks good in pics. Actually I quite struggle to think of mahenges that don’t photograph well unless they have some fatal and obvious flaw like a big window or huge inclusions. But some will be really neon and others no and only the neon ones are worth buying imo.

Red garnets are almost always meh irl from what I’ve seen but vendor pics are so misleading. Fallen for that too.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

or it can look like this

I’m no use, that stone looks delish to me in both pics. Moody and velvety vs. bright and glowy…

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried! And can’t find it. Hope someone else remembers it.

Just bumped it and tagged you - it is a pinned thread in CS forum and I did not realise!

DK :oops2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m actually not a huge fan of aquamarine either. I find they’re usually not saturated enough for me and even precision cut stones don’t have a the light return that I love.

Pale green emerald??!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

or it can look like this

Oh, what thread is that with the unrealistic views? I would love to check that one out!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+ 100

I think $22k for a 5+ carat precision cut asscher mint garnet from a artist like Jeff, in that gorgeous Art Deco inspired setting is a very fair price. I do not think it’s overpriced, and if you had to buy that in a retail store, it would easily be $10k more.

I just wish there was a review period or some refund policy, just in case.

The combination of over 5 carats and an asscher cut makes this stone as rare as hen's teeth. I have adored that ring since I first set eyes on it, and would not want to miss it if I were in the market. Taken as a whole, it is a drop dead gorgeous piece. I do hope you get it!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Since it sounds like you’re exploring your options, I thought I’d suggest reaching out to Bruce Bridges. I had an amazing shopping experience with him, and even though my budget was on the low side, he provided fantastic service. I am guessing he has mint garnets available in addition to tsavorite. His inventory isn’t online, but if you let him know what you‘re looking for he will present you with options.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of priority, what is most important? Size? Rarity? Cut/specifically asscher? Blue modifier? Saturation? Tone?

If you’re looking for a tsav, I’d keep looking. If you want a very nicely saturated mint garnet, then keep considering.

I spent a fair amount of time looking for a pic this eve, of The Ring (that i have also HIGHLY coveted and admired since Day 1), on my finger, to no avail. I tried it on in person at one of the shows, I think it was in New York. Normally I would have tons of pictures of something that I love, so either I looked in the wrong place, or I didn’t take any/many because it didn’t photograph well, or it hurt too much. :lol:I have owned, and tried on, and seen some amazing mint garnets. I will say that this particular one was one of my favorites, hands down. I only saw it in the show lighting, but the flash and colour and cut... I also am a particular fan of that setting, so that may have swayed me somewhat. However, and a few on this forum will know that I am one to unload a bunch of things in order to get some thing of higher value, but I didn’t do it for this one. I am a bit of a clumsy person, and I would worry that given the size , and somewhat fragility of this item, I couldn’t stomach paying that price for it, especially considering it’s really way higher when you factor in exchange rate, shipping, VAT (I’m in the same boat). If I was loaded and money was absolutely no object, I would definitely have bought this ring. So, as seems to be the general consensus, it really depends on your comfort level, and level of desire. It’s a fabulous (really tried to figure out a way to add an expletive in there without getting in trouble) ring. It’s very expensive.

How often would you wear it?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Please bump the thread - I’d love to see it :)

Just bumped it and tagged you - it is a pinned thread in CS forum and I did not realise!

DK :oops2:

Oh, what thread is that with the unrealistic views? I would love to check that one out!

Ok, finally found it and it was an off-topic discussion here:

And this old thread here:

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey everyone, a little update. Thank you all so much for your comments. I decided to buy this ring today. I was actually able to put both this and the 2.5ct ACA on layaway so I can purchase both without worrying that one will sell before I can pull the trigger.
The price is quite high, but I have seen very very few nice mint garnets 4cts or above even through my trade contacts. Certainly nothing as well cut as this stone. I felt that the price is justified on this one. Many of the loose stones that I have viewed (with a commercial cut) have approached this price and I know a newly cut stone by a precision cutter will cost far more than this. I’ve listed after this ring for such a long time and I know that I would regret not buying this piece while I had the chance.
Julia took some additional videos for me. This is how it looks the majority of the time indoors. It’s not the neon colour that I love, but I do like it. It’s a nice saturation for a mint. The screenshot seems to have dulled the image slightly. Outdoors is where this stone will really shine and that is where I think it will get the majority of its wear.
The setting is quite feminine but I think I can pull it off. The stones take up most of the top of the finger so there won’t be much of the narrow band visible. I also just want to own jewellery that I find beautiful, I don’t need to worry that it might not be masculine enough for some people.

Attachments

• 6BB312CD-5FD2-48DA-888B-6187D67FBF85.jpeg
    6BB312CD-5FD2-48DA-888B-6187D67FBF85.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone, a little update. Thank you all so much for your comments. I decided to buy this ring today. I was actually able to put both this and the 2.5ct ACA on layaway so I can purchase both without worrying that one will sell before I can pull the trigger.
The price is quite high, but I have seen very very few nice mint garnets 4cts or above even through my trade contacts. Certainly nothing as well cut as this stone. I felt that the price is justified on this one. Many of the loose stones that I have viewed (with a commercial cut) have approached this price and I know a newly cut stone by a precision cutter will cost far more than this. I’ve listed after this ring for such a long time and I know that I would regret not buying this piece while I had the chance.
Julia took some additional videos for me. This is how it looks the majority of the time indoors. It’s not the neon colour that I love, but I do like it. It’s a nice saturation for a mint. The screenshot seems to have dulled the image slightly. Outdoors is where this stone will really shine and that is where I think it will get the majority of its wear.
The setting is quite feminine but I think I can pull it off. The stones take up most of the top of the finger so there won’t be much of the narrow band visible. I also just want to own jewellery that I find beautiful, I don’t need to worry that it might not be masculine enough for some people.

Thanks for the update, and please post more pics when you have the ring!

DK :appl::kiss2:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve listed after this ring for such a long time and I know that I would regret not buying this piece while I had the chance.

I recently used the exact same reasoning about a purchase. I hope it turns out to be everything you wanted and expected.

And yeah, you can definitely pull it off.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I caught this implication on your other thread - ha!!!

Good for you! How special to get both, and a wonderful way to celebrate your engagement!!!

Hope you do post many more pictures once you get them :)

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for updating us and I can’t wait to see more photos once you get it!

Reactions: T L
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results