shape
carat
color
clarity

Lab Diamond from Tianyu Gems

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you've ever ventured over to Fabulous Fashion Jewelry then you may have seen my thread over there - Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems. I had (well, technically still have) a really beautifully cut 7.5mm OEC moissanite from them, but I kept feeling the absolute itch for a 2ct stone. Problem is, I do not particularly care for the optics of moissanite in the 2ct range. I can really see the double refraction and it bothers my eye. In other words, it would never be a mind clean stone for me.

A little over a year ago my long-time rep at Tianyu Gems named Emily let me know they would soon be cutting lab diamond. I desperately wanted a 2ct OEC, but for logistical reasons they wouldn't cut it. They had made several attempts that did not go well and nixed it. So I watched over the months as they got better at cutting H&A and about a month ago put in an order for a lab diamond in the G/H, VS1/2, 2 carat range. I ended up with a lovely 2.19ct H, VS2 that I am absolutely in love with. I had a platinum Tiffany-style setting that I sent off to DK along with the diamond to be set, and it arrived back home to me yesterday.

And so, meet Astrid!

fullsizeoutput_40da.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_40dd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_40df.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_40e0.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond and ring, also love the combo with the band!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Nicely done8). I really like those prongs, too.
I'm hoping they also make an oec/omc version someday.
I'd love to have one.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg I love it!!!! I want one! Feel free to email me and share the price you paid... wow! It looks divine. Is your band diamond, too?

(I am ringmaven on LT but you can search pearaffair)

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Omg I love it!!!! I want one! Feel free to email me and share the price you paid... wow! It looks divine. Is your band diamond, too?

(I am ringmaven on LT but you can search pearaffair)
Thank you for the kind words! The band is F color OEC moissanites! Tianyu made the whole thing for me. =)2

(I messaged you via LT.)

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
What a gorgeous ring! I can't wait for Tianyu and Starsgem to start offering fancy cuts in their lab diamonds. Enjoy it!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going to be rude and ask since we don’t know each other. What is the price range for such a beauty? :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the heads up and for sharing the stone and ring! :kiss2:

Tempted, very tempted to get an OEC Moissy or MMD, however, just can't justify the expense as I would rather spend it on CS.

I shall keep playing the lottery.

DK :))

muesli

Shiny_Rock
It's stunning! Love the setting and band too :).

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Astrid is lovely! Cut looks really good. Are you happy with the sparkle? Haven’t seen many above a carat so thanks for sharing.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
It's gorgeous mrsgreeneyes!! Love the whole thing - 2 carats and beautiful setting. I think your band with it is perfection. Very classy! Do you have more details on the Tiffany style setting?

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous mrsgreeneyes!! Love the whole thing - 2 carats and beautiful setting. I think your band with it is perfection. Very classy! Do you have more details on the Tiffany style setting?

The setting is platinum and was also made by Tianyu for me.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrsgreeneyes Your new ring and stone are beautiful. Truly a classic look! Gorgeous!
I have to ask. Were you not hesitant to deal with Tianyu for such a large purchase?

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@mrsgreeneyes Your new ring and stone are beautiful. Truly a classic look! Gorgeous!
I have to ask. Were you not hesitant to deal with Tianyu for such a large purchase?

If this had been my first ever purchase with them, I’m not sure I would have done it. But I’ve been buying from them for over three years, plus I paid with PayPal, so I had very little concern with this purchase.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @mrsgreeneyes for your answer. That makes sense. You built a relationship with them. Maybe I should too... :lol: I love your ring!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
That's so beautifu, perfect proportionsl! I'm really intrigued by this. What do you think about the cut, do you own or have you seen any super ideal mined diamonds to compare it to? Did you compare prices with local lab diamond vendors? The price range you mentioned seems very reasonable but I haven't shopped around too much.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's so beautifu, perfect proportionsl! I'm really intrigued by this. What do you think about the cut, do you own or have you seen any super ideal mined diamonds to compare it to? Did you compare prices with local lab diamond vendors? The price range you mentioned seems very reasonable but I haven't shopped around too much.

Thank you for the kind words! I do not own a super ideal cut diamond, but I have seen a couple of Hearts on Fire in person in a showroom before. This stone is a 60/60 cut, so it’s not going to be the same as a super ideal. I will be honest with you in that unless I see a super ideal right next to a non-super ideal diamond, I don’t notice the difference that much. I definitely can tell a mediocre cut diamond, but I don’t have the eye to tell a perfectly cut super ideal vs a 60/60 if they are not side by side.

I did do a fair amount of price comparison between AV, Takara (Better Than Diamond), James Allen, and Brilliant Earth. Tianyu had them all beat by several thousand.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info! How do you know that your stone is a 60/60? Did they give you some sort of grading report with your stone, or was it independently graded? I'm not sure how things work in China.

I think 60/60 stones can be beautiful if the angles work! I guess if I was gonna plunk down like 20-30 grand on a stone (never) I'd need it to be absolutely perfect, but for under 5k, maybe not as much. I have an OEC moissanite from Tianyu (thanks to your thread) and could barely tell the difference between that and an AV I briefly had. I think their cutting is quite good at Tianyu.

mrsgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info! How do you know that your stone is a 60/60? Did they give you some sort of grading report with your stone, or was it independently graded? I'm not sure how things work in China.
Yes, it came with a grading report. It’s from a lab I’ve never heard of so I took the specs with a grain of salt, but I would say the clarity is spot on. I cannot say for sure on the color, but it does not appear to have any more tint than a GIA H that I also own. It’s a little tough to say for certain because 1) I don’t have lab lights, 2) the lab diamond is much bigger, and 3) the GIA H was already set and I was comparing it to the loose lab diamond. But either way, the stone is colorless to my eyes and that is what I care about.

I guess if I was gonna plunk down like 20-30 grand on a stone (never) I'd need it to be absolutely perfect, but for under 5k, maybe not as much.
I agree with everything you said here! :)

I have an OEC moissanite from Tianyu (thanks to your thread) and could barely tell the difference between that and an AV I briefly had. I think their cutting is quite good at Tianyu
I’m glad to hear you like it! I have always been curious to know how they compare to AV, but not curious enough to drop the cash to directly compare! :lol:

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
More questions! Was this stone cut for you and you had to take your chances? Or did they have reports that you could browse through before committing? I'm guessing things are a little tricky returning overseas so I'm just wondering how the process worked. Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results