carat
color
clarity

LA diamond district

giamari23

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I poked around the boards and saw a few recent suggestions. I am going to be in LA in a few weeks and was thinking of stopping down the diamond district...cause trouble and I are good friends.

I don't have plans to buy except to start some research on some longer term projects. Those projects are upgrading my engagement stone, and the setting since it's halo'd. I also am hoping to get some inspiration to help my mom figure how she wants to reset the stone upgrade I got her in July. Looking for inspiration fun and also some places with good deals.
Mainly i'll take suggestions on places that good stock on try on and get ideas on size. I have 1.5 RB right now. So it would be great to try some things on. I'm hoping trying things on will help me figure out my long term budget. As for my mom I'm hoping to see a variety of settings to figure out a way to set the stone as a solitaire but for a RHR

I will also take any suggestions. My husband and I are traveling to see some old friends and then heading to Hawaii for our one year anniversary. We got a very good deal thanks to SPG points.

Thanks in advance!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope I don't get slammed for suggesting the same vendor... He is the only one I know in the LA diamond district who I think cuts the most beautiful rounds.

Victor Canera is there and he cuts super ideal modern round brilliants, and canera European rounds. His stones are amazing and so are his settings. You can look up his settings on PS. If you're not sure if you want auperideal you can check them out. You need to make an appointment though.

Single stone supplies actual old Europeans and amazing settings as well if you prefer vintage settings. Also make an appointment.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you interested in vintage settings, classic, or contemporary, maybe even "edgy" ones?

For more moderately priced possibilities, this recent LA shopper had good experiences at Icing on the Ring and at Bridal Rings Company:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...eler-in-los-angeles-area.227549/#post-4165705
https://www.yelp.com/biz/icing-on-the-ring-los-angeles?sort_by=date_desc
https://www.yelp.com/biz/bridal-rings-company-los-angeles-2?sort_by=date_desc

David Klass, who's a favorite here on PS for very reasonably priced custom pieces, is on Hill St. In the Diamond District. But I can't tell from the local Yelpers' reviews how much he has on display, nor do I remember anyone here reporting on having visited him in person. Still, if you like what you've seen of his rings, it could be fun & worthwhile to meet him face-to-face, even if you're not yet ready to commit to a commission (call ahead for an appointment).
https://www.yelp.com/biz/david-klass-wholesale-jewelry-los-angeles

giamari23

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom No way! I appreciate the feedback, I've read alot about him given everyone's positive feed back but its always helpful to hear the week before when I'm weighing making appointments or stopping in. I really enjoy seeing people's work in person and it helps with leaving resources in mind. From what's I've seen here its gorgeous work, it would be great to see how it might work for me.

@MollyMalone Thanks for all the input, this is so helpful! We get in next wednesday and we'll be right around the corner and have that day to ourselves. So I think I will call and make that appointment. I've heard wonderful things obviously. Im glad to hear you suggest visiting even if I'm not sure what if anything we'd be doing, but I think it would be nice to have resources gathered.

I am definitely into some vintage looks. i have some family jewelry that inspired the setting i chose and I definitely love hearing all the stories of good vendors on the west coast who seem to excel in that rea.
Thanks for rounding up the input, this makes for happy reading tonight!

Thanks you guys i really appreciate all the help as always.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A p.s. since you are interested in vintage. Alas, there's no Whitehouse Brothers retailer right in LA, but maybe there's an authorized retailer within convenient driving distance of your home. Die struck rings, using dies dating back more than 100 years (and some newer replicas of the originals). The several WB rings I've seen in person were beautifully done!
http://www.whitehousebrothers.com

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock
In any concentrated diamond market such as LA, NY, Chicago or Hatton Garden (UK) I would say to just be careful. There may be deals to be had but there are so many sharks circling those waters that it’s hard to escape without leaving a pound of flesh there.

If you do wish to experience the best product and the best guarantees at the best value, Crafted by Infinity has a dealer close by the LAX airport called The Jewelry Source. The store is a community treasure and the owner, Brenda Newman, is a celebrated diamond and jewelry expert. She was one of the first dealers of Eightstar, the world’s inaugural Super Ideal diamond and has continued her tradition by carrying Crafted by Infinity. If you contact her in advance she can arrange for any of their diamonds to be onsite for you to view.

Address and contact info here.

http://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonds/diamonds-city

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I visit the jewelry district a lot. I can't suggest anyone in particular because I'm trade but just be aware that most of the ground level shops can be really intimidating and overwhelming. I think you'd have more fun and a better experience if you only go to a few vendors and make appointments in advance so they can bring more inventory for you to view.

Hope you have a great time!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
David Klass, who's a favorite here on PS for very reasonably priced custom pieces, is on Hill St. In the Diamond District. But I can't tell from the local Yelpers' reviews how much he has on display, nor do I remember anyone here reporting on having visited him in person. Still, if you like what you've seen of his rings, it could be fun & worthwhile to meet him face-to-face, even if you're not yet ready to commit to a commission (call ahead for an appointment).
https://www.yelp.com/biz/david-klass-wholesale-jewelry-los-angeles

I was just there last week while visiting LA! He has a store front on the ground level so you can definitely see his work. I was just dropping off my stone for a project and didn't get to see much, but it looks like any regular jewelry shop. Though you don't need an appointment to come in, you might want to call ahead if you have something specific in mind. Be forewarned, parking is pretty much impossible there and even standing was problematic (my husband had to drive around the block while I was there, which is why I had no time to see anything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results