shape
carat
color
clarity

In LA this weekend, want to see OECs

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can see some OECs this weekend in Los Angeles. I called Victor and he is not open on weekends. Any other leads? Thanks!

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Jewels by Grace is in LA and she has a billion old cuts. I think you can just email her/dm on insta to set up a viewing.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. Any other leads? I have been in touch with Grace a bit off and on in past and setting up a last minute thing doesn't sound like something that would ever happen. She rarely writes back within a week!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lang Antiques is in San Francisco. At least in the right state =)2

Singlestone, Trumpet & Horn, and Mark Broumand are all in LA.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure what part of LA you'll be in, but if you're near Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica on Saturday, maybe pop into 23rd Street Jewelers - they do have some old-cuts and rose-cuts and some beautiful pieces.

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Perfect! Thanks so much!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hit up the jewelry district and you'll find tons just walking around! I can't make specific recommendations, being trade (against the rules), but I can think of at least 5 great shops to visit, off the top of my head, all on Hill Street. Beverly Hills is sure to have some as well! You'll have a blast - I'm jealous!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I follow Platt Boutique Jeweler on IG and they have lots of old cut jewelry :love::love::love: I covet quite a few pieces....would love to see pics of what you find!!

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Wow, most amazing day! It was just so awesome to see so many vintage rings and OECs etc. I was surprised that many, if not most, of the stones I saw are EGL. Do you guys think this is a deal breaker? I went to SN Queens as well. I haven't heard much about them on PS at all but they had a ton of vintage rings and OECs and also most were EGL, with only few being GIA! Interesting day. The woman at single stone was saying how certs don't really matter for antique stones because GIA doesn't know how to grade them. I thought those on PS would love to hear that. Another vendor said her antique ring isn't certed because she never cared about that. Does anyone know if I were to bring my aset scope and look at a mounted OEC would I be able to tell if it is cut well/good light return? And now for my main question: Does anyone know of a good independent jewelry appraiser right there in downtown LA near Hill St.? I think it would be best to get someone's outside opinion since I ran into so few GIA stones and I don't want to pay more for something than what it's worth. Thanks

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm hoping the EGL reports were at least from EGL-USA (a distinctly different, separate operation from the EGL labs in Europe or in, shudder, Israel). Yes, EGL USA lab reports are the ones you're most likely to see when it comes to vintage or antique jewelry pieces. That's because GIA doesn't issue grading reports for mounted diamonds & many vendors are reluctant to remove, and reset upon return from the lab, stones from their antique-vintage merchandise.

One of my favorite PSer rings (don't now remember whose) was from SN Queens!

In my experience (when they used to post the prices on the web site & when I've made a few inquiries more recently), Single Stone's prices for their vintage-antique rings are appreciably well above market. Did you happen to ask Single Stone what their current return-refund policy is for in-store purchases? IIRC it's a very brief "window" (barely permits time for an independent appraisal by someone local) aaaaand you only get a store credit, not a refund.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were to buy an old cut I would want one with a GIA. If it doesn't have it, I would request that it be sent to GIA. I want to know what I am paying for. I know GIA cannot give it a very meaningful cut rating. For that I rely on my eyes. But t I do want to m ow color and clarity. That's just me.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re an appraiser: based on my search results, looks like Patrick Davis (Gem Secure Jewelry Appraisals) is the LA appraiser most often used by PSers, and they were happy with him. He also has lots of very good Yelp reviews & is credentialed by the American Society of Appraisers as a Master Gemologist Appraiser. But he is in Culver City, not in downtown LA.
http://www.jewelryappraiser.net
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gemsecure-jewelry-appraisals-los-angeles-6?sort_by=date_desc
http://www.appraisers.org/Disciplines/Gems-Jewelry/master-gemologist-appraiser

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were to buy an old cut I would want one with a GIA. If it doesn't have it, I would request that it be sent to GIA. I want to know what I am paying for. I know GIA cannot give it a very meaningful cut rating. For that I rely on my eyes. But t I do want to m ow color and clarity. That's just me.

Exactly. With GIA you can be relatively confident of the color and clarity grading and with antique stones that is useful for pricing reasons. You use your eyes to determine beauty but you need a fair assessment of color and clarity to get a sense if the pricing is fair.

Honestly it is in your best interest to have this info and the vendor's best interest to say that doesn't matter. Buyer beware when the vendor says something like she said to you clearfading. That it doesn't matter to get an antique stone certed. ::) Yes it matters very much if you want to know you are paying a fair price.

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Looking forward to your journey! Which jewelry shops did you end up visiting, clearfading?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... GIA doesn't know how to grade them. ...

I'd say GIA would get colour & fluorescence right; clarity - worse than right, since some small marks of wear or quaint manufacturing details may end up counted as clarity characteristics. Then, Symmetry/Polish grading will not take into account technical possibilities at the time when the diamonds were cut ...

The attitude toward these stones seems more similar to the world of colour: you get lab reports only if you ask for them ...

2c

Last edited:

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the helpful replies. Yeah, definitely want some accuracy to know if it is worth what the asking price is! I went to single stone, SN Queens and Belle Epoque. Mark Broumand was closed as was VC. There are tons and I'll have to go back!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww, that sounds like my dream day! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures! What, specifically, are you looking for?

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I posted in the preloved. Looking for a 2.5+ j, k oec. Avr perfectly fine too ;-)

clearfading

Shiny_Rock
I agree! I saw some in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results