carat
color
clarity

Kid question #1

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I've posted I teach guitar.
One of my students is a 13 year old I'll call Sam.
After 18 months Sam's doing splendidly.
Mom and dad are over the moon happy and often invite me over for dinner.
Wonderful people, great friends ... blah blah blah.
Win Win all around.

In the last year I've bought a couple fancy new guitars and am on the mailing list of a big music store chain.
I get catalogs from them and just got one with all high-end gear ... multi-thousand dollar guitars, etc.
It's fun for drooling and dreaming.
I'm sure Sam would enjoy borrowing it for a few days.

Should I just lend it to him and say nothing to mom and dad, or should I ask for their permission?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1449011474|3956165 said:
Win Win all around.

In the last year I've bought a couple fancy new guitars and am on the mailing list of a big music store chain.
I get catalogs from them and just got one with all high-end gear ... multi-thousand dollar guitars, etc.

Should I just lend it to him and say nothing to mom and dad, or should I ask for their permission?

Ask his parents in order to keep both you and him out of trouble; I'm sure he's probably a good kid but if he were to come home with a musical instrument worth more than what all of mine combined are probably worth then his parents may get suspicious - especially if they know anything about musical instruments. They may say no just because of how much it's worth.

I don't know how protective you are over your guitars but I don't lend out any of mine that are worth more than $1k - just letting someone pick one up and have a play can be an affair full of heart palpitations. Apart from the damage factor, you just never know when someone who you respect may become unscrupulous. I've learnt that one the hard way!

P.s. did you see the musical bling thread and the pics I posted of my old bandmate's guitars?

EDT: I read that as you were going to give the guitar to him, not the catalogue! The hard thing for me working in emergencies is a post can take an hour to type and bits of the OP might be missed when I get a call come through :wall:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Win Win all around.

I would ask the parents before giving the catalog. My 13 year old is in music lessons and if he was given such a catalog he would then start wanting a new instrument instead of his old one (and the one I can afford). Some kids might not be like that, mine is. So definately worth asking. Besides, I always appreciate communication from his teacher (also an in home situation)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Say to the parents is it O.K if I lend Sam a copy of this really cool guitar or music catalogue I have. Otherwise he might start wanting items from it and they will think where did he get it from...

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1449016056|3956196 said:
Say to the parents is it O.K if I lend Sam a copy of this really cool guitar or music catalogue I have. Otherwise he might start wanting items from it and they will think where did he get it from...

+1

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you can ever go wrong checking with a kid's parents in any situation.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
tuffyluvr|1449097730|3956604 said:
I don't think you can ever go wrong checking with a kid's parents in any situation.
This.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Probably a good idea to ask the 'rents- but the idea of giving Sam the catalog is magic!
I must have worn out the Fender catalog I got my hands on when I was 13......Fun to dream!!

It's Sweetwater, yes?

And now you have me very curious as to what you got over the last year....

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jordyonbass|1449013374|3956177 said:
Win Win all around.

Ask his parents in order to keep both you and him out of trouble; I'm sure he's probably a good kid but if he were to come home with a musical instrument worth more than what all of mine combined are probably worth then his parents may get suspicious - especially if they know anything about musical instruments. They may say no just because of how much it's worth.

I don't know how protective you are over your guitars but I don't lend out any of mine that are worth more than $1k - just letting someone pick one up and have a play can be an affair full of heart palpitations. Apart from the damage factor, you just never know when someone who you respect may become unscrupulous. I've learnt that one the hard way!

P.s. did you see the musical bling thread and the pics I posted of my old bandmate's guitars?

EDT: I read that as you were going to give the guitar to him, not the catalogue! The hard thing for me working in emergencies is a post can take an hour to type and bits of the OP might be missed when I get a call come through :wall:

Jordy- can you please post a link to the thread, I'm a vintage guitar lover too.....

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond,

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-bling-musical-bling.217572/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-bling-musical-bling.217572/[/URL]

I don't know if they are actual vintage guitars, I think they were standard guitars that were then completely customized to look pretty crazy. The wood carving on the black, white and red guitar could be viewed as transgressive (depending on the individual) but from a purely artistic and woodcarving standpoint - they are absolutely beautiful works of art. They're in the last post on the thread :)

Do you like vintage amps as well? I just sold my Ampeg V4B 215, it's a 40 year old speaker cabinet that needs work but has an interesting history and story behind it. It's onto it's next owner to have it's next chapter written :D

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jordyonbass|1449184812|3957115 said:
Rockdiamond,

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-bling-musical-bling.217572/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-bling-musical-bling.217572/[/URL]

I don't know if they are actual vintage guitars, I think they were standard guitars that were then completely customized to look pretty crazy. The wood carving on the black, white and red guitar could be viewed as transgressive (depending on the individual) but from a purely artistic and woodcarving standpoint - they are absolutely beautiful works of art. They're in the last post on the thread :)

Do you like vintage amps as well? I just sold my Ampeg V4B 215, it's a 40 year old speaker cabinet that needs work but has an interesting history and story behind it. It's onto it's next owner to have it's next chapter written :D

Whats not to love!!
deluxe.jpg

I was playing a gig in Hempstead about 20 years ago- it was a street fair.
Some guy walks up and says he needs to get rid of this amp- no space for it...etc.
I asked how much?
Can you give me $100?

Even back then that was too cheap- I paid the guy $300.

1964 Deluxe Reverb's a now going for at least $2500- even a little beat up like mine.
What a tone!!!
You do;t need no stinin distortion pedal with this baby!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond,

Sweet amp - I always loved the SVT with 10 8" speakers.....

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1449186631|3957127 said:
Rockdiamond,

Sweet amp - I always loved the SVT with 10 8" speakers.....

That Fender amp you posted - GOOD GOOGLY MOOGLY!!!

I used to have the 810, they're just too big and heavy for me to cart around for gigs and mine got destroyed by drunken hardcore kids unfortunately. If I had a pleb to do all the hard work and protect my equipment then I might consider buying it again :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow RD! Sweeeeet amp!
The quintessential vintage amp score we all dream about!

My buddy scored one of those early-60s VOX amps the Beatles toured with.
It has original everything even tubes.
They still sound excellent.
He only paid a couple hundred to someone who had no clue that today it is probably worth 6 figures.

I wanted vintage Fender amp tone but was too nervous considering the cost.
I didn't trust it would really be all original, or what garbage replacement parts they might have put in.
High value attracts unethical people.
I also worried about when certain 50 year old parts WOULD need replacement, so I went boutique and bought a new Tone King Imperial Mk II.

I had to pay for it then wait months for them to hand-make it ... in the good ol US of A. :dance:
You can google up what guitar forums say about Tone King Imperials.
I know what they say about YOUR amp ... but we aren't allowed to post **** here on PS. :love: :cheeky:

Here it is posing with my newest guitar.

This guitar is from Gibson's limited edition of 500 meticulous reissues of Warren Haynes' 1961 ES-335, affectionately named Bid Red.
It was made in 2014 in Memphis.

When shopping we went to the basement of Guitar Center Hollywood because my buddy knew they stock several real original vintage Gibson ES-335s, 345s and 355s priced in the six figures. :knockout: :knockout: :knockout:
Though beyond my budget, playing these gave me a good education on what to look & listen for in a 335 that I could afford.
We found most of it in this baby.

For lead and sustain for days you can beat a real Les Paul.
I love the features in the 2015 models, though many aficionados don't.
I did not take this pic.

_777.png

_778.png

_779.png

_780.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results