shape
carat
color
clarity

K colored stone, honest opinions PLEASE

stacyj11101

Rough_Rock
Can you tell me your honest opinions please?

5.85 ct Oval
K Color
Excellent Cut
SI1
custom halo setting

i just got this picture and the video from the Jeweler, maybe a bit paranoid but i guess i just need opinions.

I've been lurking on this site forever, i just signed up today. any help would be appreciated :)

_37569.jpg

stacyj11101

Rough_Rock
another shot of it.

img_3385__002_.jpg

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Posters much more expert than me will chime in BUT the stone is very warm. Elongated stones show more colour, so an L oval will be much more yellow than an L RB. Warmth is not per se a bad thing BUT if you're looking for an icy-white look, this isn't it. Further, to my eye the colour difference between the centre stone and the halo is obvious and distracting (not in a good way).

As for cut, this picture isn't very good so it's hard (for me) to say anything, although there *seems* to be some crushed ice in the bottom half.

EDITED: sorry - this is a K and not even an L! Wow it's quite warm indeed.

tracylt

Shiny_Rock
I'm not an expert so will just tell you my personal opinion.

I'm super color sensitive, and also prefer "whiter" color than "warmer", so I would personally pass it. BUT I know many people like the warmth (i.e. my mother, sister, etc.) so they actually might pick K or L color over F-G color. So, it's all about your personal preference. Regardless, I love the look of the overall ring - oval shape, halo setting are my cup of tea!

stacyj11101

Rough_Rock
thank you. yes, i agree about the crushed look, however, it's not a good pic and the lighting was awful. Yes, i agree about the warmth, hence my posting. it's a k color but in person it just looked so much more white, does taking a picture do this to the color?

i'm just concerned that it will look like i'm walking around with a yellow stone, which of course isn't what i'm looking to do.

ugh, i'm also hoping that my coloring (pale white, LOL) will help the look as well.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stacyj11101|1466113114|4044894 said:
thank you. yes, i agree about the crushed look, however, it's not a good pic and the lighting was awful. Yes, i agree about the warmth, hence my posting. it's a k color but in person it just looked so much more white, does taking a picture do this to the color?

i'm just concerned that it will look like i'm walking around with a yellow stone, which of course isn't what i'm looking to do.

ugh, i'm also hoping that my coloring (pale white, LOL) will help the look as well.
Is that your hand in the pic? It's not coming across pale white! I think pictures are difficult to gauge. The whole picture in general looks like it's not white balanced/color balanced/whatever the term is... I wouldn't be able to tell if it was warm or not unless you had it next to an icy white diamond... but then, even with the photography, it could still not come across true to what you're seeing in real life.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Stacy,
A question- is the diamond graded by GIA? That's an important aspect.
Secondly, whoever called the diamond "Excellent" cut is simply giving their opinion as there's no such thing as a GIA "Excellent" cut for any shape other than rounds.
Having said that, based on the limited info a picture can provide, it does look to be nicely cut.
"Crushed ice" can be a super positive thing in fancy shapes. It's a matter of taste, but the term gets a bad rap on PS.
I'd also say the same about color.
There are a lot of people who'd never consider a stone below J color- but there's also plenty of folks who prefer it.
In my experience, it's too broad a generalization to say ovals look more yellow than a round of the same color. Even if it's true in many cases, each person is only buying that one diamond and it's not true in all cases.

In the best J-K-L colors, you should not notice a tine on it's own- but you probably can if you hold it next to a colorless diamond.

If it has a GIA report, posting the GIA report number will at least allow us a bit more info

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Which lab graded the oval? GIA doesn't specify "excellent" cut for fancies...

cheers--Sharon

stacyj11101

Rough_Rock
no, LOL that's not my hand, i'm as pale as they come, LOL

I think the picture is just not great, my friend who is here with me prompted me to post this to gauge others opinions. i believe in person it would look a lot more white (i hope)

stacyj11101

Rough_Rock
Polish Excellent
GIA
Symantry: Very good
Floresence: None
Clarity: SI1
Oval Modified Brilliant

cheers :)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
stacyj11101|1466113809|4044911 said:
no, LOL that's not my hand, i'm as pale as they come, LOL

I think the picture is just not great, my friend who is here with me prompted me to post this to gauge others opinions. i believe in person it would look a lot more white (i hope)

Hmmm- given that you describe yourself as "pale" I would not count on the diamond looking whiter. A person's complexion has an effect on their diamond.
IMO a darker complexion will hide K color more than a pale skin tone...

Make sure you get a money back guarantee in any event.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's very pretty, however the halo absolutely shows the tint of the stone more. If you are hoping for it to look whiter, I'd pull it out of that setting and put it in a solitaire.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK - when i take pictures of bling with my iphone, my iphone makes everything yellow or blue. I can't win LOLOLOL!

You mentioned that you saw the diamond in person. If YOU loved it in person pre-setting it, and YOU love it now set, then that's all that counts.

Don't forget that maul stores sell D, E, F stones that are really J, K, L LOLOLOLOLOL!

So my honest opinion is that I can't give you an honest opinion regarding color based off of your pictures.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is lovely! I dont see Yellow by any means but I do see the contrast between the halo stones and the oval. I think
the size of your stone will out dazzle any warmth. That's my opinion! YMMV depending on your color sensitivity. Are you
worried about your perception or are you worried about others perception of the color.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love warm diamonds, but not in white settings. I don't like the cut of this oval. I find it very splintery. You obviously have a sizable budget. I don't think this is your best option.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1466114722|4044920 said:
Make sure you get a money back guarantee in writing in any event.

Fixed :tongue:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a good one to ask because I have a "k" Emerald cut which also shows color. I love it! It's a good idea to see it in person. I know zip about ovals. I just know I'm happy with my K.

_4219.jpeg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color contrast between K stone and I+ melees.
Regarding the cut, I am no expert in assessing oval diamonds.

stacyj11101

Rough_Rock
Thanks for this. I'm worried about perception. You nailed it on the head. I must say I love this jeweler and I trust him when he tells me that in person it's amazing. He said in person vs the picture I will be thrilled. Stay tuned. Lol.

stacyj11101

Rough_Rock
Do you? I'm so worried about a huge contrast. I wish I could show and share the video. It looked so much better than a still picture but I can't seem to upload it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1466113664|4044907 said:
stacyj11101|1466113114|4044894 said:

Is that your hand in the pic? It's not coming across pale white! I think pictures are difficult to gauge. The whole picture in general looks like it's not white balanced/color balanced/whatever the term is... I wouldn't be able to tell if it was warm or not unless you had it next to an icy white diamond... but then, even with the photography, it could still not come across true to what you're seeing in real life.

OP, when you saw the stone in person, did you view it in different lighting environments or only under the jewelry store lights?

I do think based on the photos you posted that it is a very pretty ring; however, like others, I do think the oval's warmth will be visible in many if not most lighting conditions, especially with the contrastingly whiter melee of the halo.

I hope there is a solid return policy so you can check out the ring IRL.

stacyj11101

Rough_Rock
I saw the stone loose in an office. It looked lighter in my opinion but when I took a a picture of it the picture showed warmth. Makes me think that the picture is picking up the warmth where you don't necessarily see it in person under floreecent lighting? Not sure

Meanwhile the video makes the stone and ring look completely different. I understand it's a k and therefore there will be some warmth. I just don't want yellow and something that looks bad.

stacyj11101

Rough_Rock
Mayk your ring is stunning :)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stacyj11101|1466123957|4044970 said:
Mayk your ring is stunning :)

Thank you! :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Color is personal but that bow tie would be a deal breaker for me

stacyj11101

Rough_Rock
Well the bow tie effect is common for the oval stone and I'm ok with that. It doesn't look bad to me but to each his own. Like I said I was more concerned with the color. I love size and the setting. Just curious about the color opinions.

Cheers :).

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of us have our own level of color sensitivity, so what matters is how you feel about the stone personally. Is it white enough for YOU. We also have different shape and size preferences as well. I recommend you having a full understanding of your return policy and take the ring home and see how you like it in your usual lighting conditions.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm also probably not the best to ask because I have a K cushion and love it (I'm partial to warmer diamonds). I can answer one of your questions, though. The diamond definitely seems to photograph warmer than in person. My diamond in person has been commented on as H/I color (and it's GIA certed), however, sometimes I can catch that color in pictures, sometimes it's more ivory and a few times it's more taupe. It really depends on surroundings as well as it seems to reflect color a lot. Pictures below are same ring, different lighting.

20160515_172422.jpg

20160507_175028.jpg

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
StaceyJ, is the halo a must? It can def brings out tint/contrast more. There are many ways you could set it that wouldn't mask the color per se, but would match it better/ provide a different type of contrast. In such a large size if it is set as a soli or with side stone of the same color or colored stones, it will look very different. If you are set on a halo then maybe lower color single cuts will help with the contrast.

Also, it seems like you are already bothered by the color. This is a huge investment, and I made the mistake once of buying a ring for size and agonizing over the color and how it looked in certain lights. I ended up having to sell it. With time and staring at your hand everyday, whatever perceived flaws that are niggling you now will get magnified.

Just a few things to to keep in mind. I would personally set a lowered color stone in rose gold or yellow gold with either side stones or an "underneath" halo- I actually posted a bunch of pics in another thread where someone had similar questions to you, take a look if you like

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-pick-a-diamond-would-you-sacrifice-color-for-size.221891/#post-4014460#p4014460']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-pick-a-diamond-would-you-sacrifice-color-for-size.221891/#post-4014460#p4014460[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results