shape
carat
color
clarity

K color round brilliant??

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Ariel: Thanks for all your work! If I decide to go with a RB though I will probably be using my upgrade policy and will need to find something with James Allen. If I decide to keep my current diamond then I'm leaning toward waiting until fall and finding a large OEC. I think it was Dreamer that mentioned asking JA if they could source an old cut for me and that isn't something that I have pursued but am thinking that it may be a good idea, doesn't hurt to ask. :))

Ashley-Sarah: Ah! I completely understand, it seems we are riding in the same boat! :$$): You seem much more content about it though than I do. Just think we will have had lots and lots of time to do our research and find exactly the stone that we are looking for! Not only am I indecisive about the particulars of the diamond, but you should see me rip through setting ideas! :nono: I'm not sure which Pser said it best but I very very much have a 'setting phobia'. So as much as I want instant gratification, it will take until fall for me decide what I want to put the stone into anyway. :rolleyes:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
My initial thought was, how different can a K be from a J? But it seems that the color of a K affects the overall look of the stone much more than say a J?

As you go down the color scale, the bands get wider. D/E/F are each narrow but J and K are much wider. Makes for a big change from, say, H, to J or K. J is kind of considered the bottom of the "whites" that are acceptable for engagement rings, and lots of people think that's too warm. But lots like J and K, too.

Did you see these real old threads?
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/k-color-stones-in-platinum-wg.43782/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/k-color-stones-in-platinum-wg.43782/[/URL]

I think this one is a pretty realistic K color.
wfkpendenttentsomewhatvisable.JPG

L and M, to me, are prettier colors than K and some of the lower stones of the J range. L and M are definitely light / pale yellow, and not grayed whites. For some reason, I'm not a J/K fan.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Christina, I was going to suggest that too since you really want an OEC...they are my favorite as well. Wow, look what I found on Polygon/Usacerted, JA might be able to get this one for you....faces up really large and a VS1. Hard to find Good SYM and VG Polish in these. Does JA hold stones on layaway? I've been looking at OEC's and OMC's for a long time and this one looks very nice for an extremely reasonable price.

This is a Old European, K color and VS1 clarity diamond.
Total Price 5788.13 USD
Shape Old European
Carat Weight 1.75 ct
Lab / Cert ID EGLUSA / 60709805D
Certificate Not Available

This color does not show with smaller diamonds when they are mounted, but diamonds of half carat or more will show noticeable color to the untrained eye.
Clarity: VS1 - Very slightly included

VS1

Inclusions are not typically visible to the unaided eye. VS1 diamonds contain minor inclusions that range from difficult to somewhat easy to see under 10x magnification.
Cut Grade --
Depth % 61 %
Table % 58.1 %
Symmetry Good
Polish Very Good
Girdle Thickness Very Thin to Very Thin
Culet Size Large
Fluorescence None
Dimensions 7.84x7.65x4.73 mm
L/W Ratio 1.02
Stock Number SD-1927

cjwee

Rough_Rock
Christina here's my K recently from JA

1.32 - VS1

Looks totally fine to me !!

She loves it as well :)

Heres what it looked like on the website .. but i took a chance anyway

1.32%20k%20%20actual_1.jpg

Heres what it looks like in reality ( pictures taken in the night , will try to get some daytime shots )

thru%20scope.jpg

ring%201_3.jpg

ring%203_1.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
cjwee|1334238038|3169189 said:
Christina here's my K recently from JA

1.32 - VS1

Looks totally fine to me !!

She loves it as well :)

Heres what it looked like on the website .. but i took a chance anyway

1.32%20k%20%20actual_1.jpg

Heres what it looks like in reality ( pictures taken in the night , will try to get some daytime shots )

thru%20scope.jpg

ring%201_3.jpg

ring%203_1.jpg

cjwee: It's gorgeous!! You chose the same setting that I have as well, so it's great to see what a RB will look like it in! It truly looks beautiful! When you looked at the ring for the first time, what was your very first thought? Do you have a lighting environment that you prefer over another? Have you compared it to other colors like an I or a J? and if you have what were your thoughts? Did you think that there was a noticeable difference in the face up position? :lol: so many questions!! Congratulations on your engagement, I'm so happy that you love your ring!! Have you started a thread on SMTB? If not you need too to share this pretty!!! :love: :love:

Ariel: You've done so much work! Thanks so much for all the links. I've got JAs custom department getting some info together for me and depending on the answers I'll know whether or not I'm going to proceed. I'm finally getting out of the conflicted stage and moving into the excited stage! :appl:

cjwee

Rough_Rock
Thanks Christina

Apologies for the delayed response - just got back from a short Holiday :)

Yes it is ! :)

I first saw it in a restaurant with strong spot lights ... the Scintillation was good ( perhaps i was expecting it to blind me literally ) After lunch we went out and looked at it again this time in daylight with spotlights - it was blinding ... in daylight face up , it looked just as white or if not whiter then my fiancee's 0.5 Carat D perhaps due to the size and cut.

I compared it with a J in a jewellery shop while we were traveling and there was no noticeable difference. unless you stare at it for a good few secs to really concentrate and compare u can tell the difference .. in real life conditions no one would do that i assume ?

Perhaps i am not color sensitive ..

However from the sides , the very slight yellowish tint is quite obvious in daylight conditions ..should you wish to scrutinize ;-)

She wore the ring to work and will be back later , let me see if i can pry it off her fingers for some daylight side and face up shots ..

cjwee

Rough_Rock
Here are some shots i managed to take

0.5 E vs 1.32 K

RIMG01211.jpg

RIMG01171.jpg

K in sunlight

ring%20in%20sunlight.jpg

RIMG00811.jpg

Indoor

RIMG00771.jpg

ring in sunlight.jpg

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Thanks cjwee! :)) Your ring is so beautiful, I don't blame her at all for not wanting to take it off!! I'm sure she is a very happy chica!! I think your last photo shows the color best...or at least how I would expect to see it. If that is how it truly looks through the side (most of the time) I think that I could be happy with that. Thanks for your opinion of the J K side by side comparison as well. As you said I also find it difficult at a cursory glance to see the difference from one color grade to the next, with scrutiny, of course. The color is also obvious to me if a J is beside a G or H, but when it's beside an I at a glance they look the same to me.

I thought that I had settled on a I or a J and have been working with Luis at JA, however I made a rooky mistake and emailed him asking that a stone we had been discussing be put on hold for me. The next morning the stone was on hold, however, it was someone elses!! :errrr: :angryfire: I had hoped to hear back from him last night as the hold is still in place and I was told it would be removed within a few hours if the purchase wasn't finalized but as of yet...... :(( So, it looks like I'm back to the beginning, and I've noticed that many many of my contenders have disappeared, so....I wait for them to add more stones to the inventory or I start considering the lovely K that I found and is still available. My plan was to ask their GG to compare the J to the K and give me an impression of the color difference, so hopefully something will come up in a J for the comparison. I'm sorta thinking out loud now :lol: sorry for the carrying on! ;))

Thanks cjwee for the photos, it's truly a gorgeous ring and I'm so happy that you are both thrilled with it! =)

cjwee

Rough_Rock
Christina

My stone was on hold for few days before i committed with JA

Anyway if you are in no rush, here's what i suggest - something that i wanted to do but didnt have the luxury of time, my next purchase will definitely be according to below :)

1. Reserve a couple of stones ( they reserved 3 stones for me )
2. Have the jeweler take pictures of the stones and compare ... daylight , spotlight , led light etc
3. Get as many tests results as u can get , HCA's , brilliance test etc
4. Have all 3 appraised
5. Have a tub of ice cream or favorite comfort food beside you when you're on the phone processing the order and the sales rep says ..... " ok i m gonna charge USD$ XXXXX amount now ........ processing ...... done !! " there goes your money !! in a matter of seconds

Good luck

Cheers
E

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
cjwee|1334756255|3174120 said:
Christina

My stone was on hold for few days before i committed with JA

Anyway if you are in no rush, here's what i suggest - something that i wanted to do but didnt have the luxury of time, my next purchase will definitely be according to below :)

1. Reserve a couple of stones ( they reserved 3 stones for me )
2. Have the jeweler take pictures of the stones and compare ... daylight , spotlight , led light etc
3. Get as many tests results as u can get , HCA's , brilliance test etc
4. Have all 3 appraised
5. Have a tub of ice cream or favorite comfort food beside you when you're on the phone processing the order and the sales rep says ..... " ok i m gonna charge USD$ XXXXX amount now ........ processing ...... done !! " there goes your money !! in a matter of seconds

Good luck

Cheers
E

:lol: Ice cream it is then!! Thanks so much for all your photos and your input cjwee! :)) :)) I'll keep you posted, hopefully within the next 2 or 3 weeks I'll be posting my own pics! :appl:

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like I'm a little late to the game, but thought I'd give my .02.

I previously owned an EGL K independently appraised as as K/L. I will not lie as it took me many months to admit this...the color drove me MAD :-o It was a gorgeous, stunning, jaw-droppingly beautiful stone in a size we would never have been able to afford otherwise, and for months, I TOLD myself I liked lower colors. But I was in total denial. I wanted so bad to love it from every angle in every light, but the truth was I thought it looked dingy (and even yellow in some lights) as others have said. And, I also think the low color made the usual contrast that well cut diamonds exhibit look brown.

From this experience, I've realized I have to stay in the D-H range or jump down to about the M-Q range. I don't seem to like diamonds that fall in that middle zone. And I absolutely hate that I don't :rolleyes:

You may very well be one of the many on this forum who love the I-L colors, and it seems like you're willing to put in the work to figure it out.

Hope you find something that tickles you pink, whether it be I, J, K or any other color! Can't wait to see your goodie on SMTB in the near future. :))

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Thanks SF! That was exactly the honest opinion I was looking for. I can totally see myself trying to convince myself that I love the color when like you, deep down I was disappointed. Who wants to be disappointed with such a huge purchase? :-o I do have a J on hold right now and I've asked that the GG evaluate it critically next to an I. I currently have an I that I almost never see body color in, so I hoping that I can be happy with a J too, I'm all about a bargain right now. I'm really hoping that it works out though, especially with all the talk of rising diamond prices! :-o ;(

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Snicklefritz|1334867537|3175409 said:

I previously owned an EGL K independently appraised as as K/L. I will not lie as it took me many months to admit this...the color drove me MAD :-o It was a gorgeous, stunning, jaw-droppingly beautiful stone in a size we would never have been able to afford otherwise, and for months, I TOLD myself I liked lower colors. But I was in total denial. I wanted so bad to love it from every angle in every light, but the truth was I thought it looked dingy (and even yellow in some lights) as others have said. And, I also think the low color made the usual contrast that well cut diamonds exhibit look brown.

From this experience, I've realized I have to stay in the D-H range or jump down to about the M-Q range. I don't seem to like diamonds that fall in that middle zone. And I absolutely hate that I don't :rolleyes:

You may very well be one of the many on this forum who love the I-L colors, and it seems like you're willing to put in the work to figure it out.

Hope you find something that tickles you pink, whether it be I, J, K or any other color! Can't wait to see your goodie on SMTB in the near future. :))
I went back and looked at your stone and ring. They looked gorgeous! I didn't see any yellow in your photos, just a large beautiful stone in a classy setting. What do you have now if you don't have the 2.70 any longer?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
hearts-arrows_girl|1334904011|3175942 said:

I went back and looked at your stone and ring. They looked gorgeous! I didn't see any yellow in your photos, just a large beautiful stone in a classy setting. What do you have now if you don't have the 2.70 any longer?

I took a look too! :love: :love: I didn't realize that it was sooo HUGE!! I'm curious too, what did you end up with? Do you still have the 2.7. It's my understanding that it's much easier to see body color in a large stone. I also believe that they are graded differently, not upside down on the white background as stones under 1.5 are, but as if a chip had been broken off and then the material evaluated for body color. I don't quite understand the reasoning though. I'm wondering SF, if you think that you would have felt differently about the color if the stone had been smaller, around the 1.5ct range that you were considering before the 2.7 came along? BTW your photos of the 2.7 were fantastic!! :appl:

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Christina...|1334932881|3176132 said:

I took a look too! :love: :love: I didn't realize that it was sooo HUGE!! I'm curious too, what did you end up with? Do you still have the 2.7. It's my understanding that it's much easier to see body color in a large stone. I also believe that they are graded differently, not upside down on the white background as stones under 1.5 are, but as if a chip had been broken off and then the material evaluated for body color. I don't quite understand the reasoning though. I'm wondering SF, if you think that you would have felt differently about the color if the stone had been smaller, around the 1.5ct range that you were considering before the 2.7 came along? BTW your photos of the 2.7 were fantastic!! :appl:

Thanks Christina and H&A Girl!

H&A Girl, sometimes we posters (i.e. me) can be selective with the pics we post ;)) And you have a STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL ring yourself :love:

We ended up selling the 2.7 ring on craiglist for what we paid for it, so everything seemed to come full circle. Then we actually ended the engagement and relationship. Though my ex was a great guy, selling the ring and a series of other events, helped me to see that we weren't quite right for each other. So haven't replaced the 2.7 with anything, but I've been in my current relationship for over a year and we've been diamond hunting. Recently had a local jeweler send a fantastic, chunky, estate marquise to GIA for me. Keeping my fingers crossed everything checks out! :bigsmile:

Totally hear what you're saying, Christina. I wondered if it showed more color due to its size as well, and briefly even considered having it recut (as it was a touch deep) for this reason. But I really didn't feel that it would end up making enough difference. For reference, the pendant image TC1987 posted is dead-on with the amount of color my K would show in certain lighting conditions - not sure how big it is.
I honestly haven't actually seen a smaller K IRL so I can't be sure if I would feel differently about it. But like I said, I'm middle color (as I'm now calling I-L) sensitive. I recently saw a 2ct I color radiant, which was an instant no-go for me, but as you are aware, its shape, not to mention size, causes it to show more color than an RB as well. Sure wish there weren't so many variables to consider. Hope the J works out! I totally understand the color/size/bargain ratio mentality and will probably never give it up myself!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Snicklefritz|1334940653|3176261 said:
Christina...|1334932881|3176132 said:

Thanks Christina and H&A Girl!

H&A Girl, sometimes we posters (i.e. me) can be selective with the pics we post ;)) And you have a STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL ring yourself :love:

We ended up selling the 2.7 ring on craiglist for what we paid for it, so everything seemed to come full circle. Then we actually ended the engagement and relationship. Though my ex was a great guy, selling the ring and a series of other events, helped me to see that we weren't quite right for each other. So haven't replaced the 2.7 with anything, but I've been in my current relationship for over a year and we've been diamond hunting. Recently had a local jeweler send a fantastic, chunky, estate marquise to GIA for me. Keeping my fingers crossed everything checks out! :bigsmile:

Totally hear what you're saying, Christina. I wondered if it showed more color due to its size as well, and briefly even considered having it recut (as it was a touch deep) for this reason. But I really didn't feel that it would end up making enough difference. For reference, the pendant image TC1987 posted is dead-on with the amount of color my K would show in certain lighting conditions - not sure how big it is.
I honestly haven't actually seen a smaller K IRL so I can't be sure if I would feel differently about it. But like I said, I'm middle color (as I'm now calling I-L) sensitive. I recently saw a 2ct I color radiant, which was an instant no-go for me, but as you are aware, its shape, not to mention size, causes it to show more color than an RB as well. Sure wish there weren't so many variables to consider. Hope the J works out! I totally understand the color/size/bargain ratio mentality and will probably never give it up myself!

Wow! I sure wish that I had been searching craigslist in your area! :lol: I completely get it though, it's like anything, if you don't love it, you can't make yourself love it! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the marquis works out for you. I'm not sure that I've seen a chunky marquis before, I bet it looks amazing! Can't wait to see pics and an early congrats on your upcoming engagement! :appl:

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
[b said:
Wow! I sure wish that I had been searching craigslist in your area! [/b] :lol: I completely get it though, it's like anything, if you don't love it, you can't make yourself love it! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the marquis works out for you. I'm not sure that I've seen a chunky marquis before, I bet it looks amazing! Can't wait to see pics and an early congrats on your upcoming engagement! :appl:

I know! Looking back I SO wish we had the Preloved section back then! Would have loved to hand it off to a PSer.

Many, many thanks!

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Snicklefritz|1334940653|3176261 said:
H&A Girl, sometimes we posters (i.e. me) can be selective with the pics we post ;)) And you have a STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL ring yourself :love: :
Thanks! And congrats on your upcoming engagement! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results